Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: war on loudness

and then everything on the radio is compressed again. just to make it on the airwaves. im taking a recording class and we did a whole class on this wdensday. we talked about the metallica thing as well...

Quote Originally Posted by iove View Post
    http://www.box.net/shared/i42zonl6ph

It's longer now. Feel free to ruin it.
    good lookin out u pedo bear u

Quote Originally Posted by Sinapse View Post
    yea actually the compact disc is responsible for that...they started cutting los and his and over compressing the shit out of music more and more since the introduction of the CD. that is why vinyl sounds so much more open and alive because of the compression/mastering process...anyhow from an industry standpoint the consumer (15 year olds) are used to bright overly compressed loud music so it's only us older cats that know what music used to (should) sound like that notice or care

word, it's the truth...sometimes we backpacker types can forget we're talking to shadows when we complain about how things aren't what they used to be...I guess every generation has a hard time accepting the new generation just don't give a shit and are by definition gonna be corny in our eyes.
    i could have not said this better^^^

SkamPoe at instagram @kinghippoe
    FOLLOW!!

We're slowly getting there. Metallica's fans are asking for the latest album to be re-mixed/mastered because of all the distortion. And at some point engineers will have to tell the artists there's a limit or else they're not good engineers at all. Another thing is that the production is mostly aimed at iPod listeners these days, there isn't really any need go hi-fi. We need to go back to the late 90's, the Chronic 2001 is still one of the best mastered hip hop albums.
    Word, I'm in your corner on all that - but to play devil's advocate for the sake of convo...most Metallica fans are older people, not the main music consumer group. I guess what I'm trying to say is lot of kids don't have the frame of reference - it's like if you been consuming a piece of shit your whole life you don't really know that it's a piece of shit and in many cases you won't even care to understand why it's a piece of shit.

I think especially the older people still buy music, instead of downloading mp3's ringtones and shit. Metallica should be responsible for their music quality and not fuck over their fans by selling an inferior product. Besides that, you can get permanent hearing damage from too much loudness. Even if the music doesn't sound too loud, it might just be. And especially the younger ears are more fragile and prone to hearing loss. A permanent ringing in your ears is pretty serious and can drive you insane. The volume dial is in your hands, but people should be warned.

I think especially the older people still buy music, instead of downloading mp3's ringtones and shit. Metallica should be responsible for their music quality and not fuck over their fans by selling an inferior product. Besides that, you can get permanent hearing damage from too much loudness. Even if the music doesn't sound too loud, it might just be. And especially the younger ears are more fragile and prone to hearing loss. A permanent ringing in your ears is pretty serious and can drive you insane. The volume dial is in your hands, but people should be warned.
    Preach brotha!

fuck the volume. that shit can be adjusted. the problem the distortion. it ruins the subtlties of the music.

^
    Not trying to argue with ya but they go hand in hand...
    You get distortion in the mix because something is turned up too loud. Once it's distorted you can't turn it down, it's quieter but still distorted you gotta make mixes with everything -3 to -6 dB on the individual tracks so nothing peaks...then you can turn the shit wayyy up on the final mix/master and it won't distort.

that was my point.

Yeah I got time to waste since I'm unemployed/retired now. I didn't even use samples. The drums are from a program called Addictive Drums it's sweet as cake.
    Addictive drumms are nice but i always need eq it a lot to make it suitable for hip hop especially kick's.

I like your beat but in my taste that kick has to much mid low freq.(around 250 hz on fruity equalizer), i would put more lower ones like 80-100 hz.

Of course in the end that's just my opinion, but as long as you make it sound how YOU want than it's okay.

I agree with the whole loudness thing, some new rap albums are really loud which is okay but then the drumms are really lost in the mix, the kick's are somewhere to strong somewhere you barely hear them,.

AD isn't that good for hip hop, unless you tweak the bejuses out of your kit, which I did. I also found the kick lacking low, but my RMS peaks when I go to low, I think I found the right balance now though and I updated the whole thing...

Chea!

http://www.box.net/shared/tbd1a789gd

added an organ and some wah wah guitars plus some extra percussion.

ad isn't that good for hip hop, unless you tweak the bejuses out of your kit, which i did. I also found the kick lacking low, but my rms peaks when i go to low, i think i found the right balance now though and i updated the whole thing...

Chea!

http://www.box.net/shared/tbd1a789gd

added an organ and some wah wah guitars plus some extra percussion.
    ayte ayte coo coo

d loadin meow

FOLLOW!!

DAMN BEE, I AINT NO BEAT EXPERT BUT THIS VERSION CHANGED DRASTICALLY WHERE IT SOUNDS LIKE MARIO BROS PT1 MUSIC, WHEN MARIO GOES UNDERGROUND, SOUNDS LIKE THAT...imo

THE OTHER VERSION IS WAAAAY ILLA MAN.

FOLLOW!!

ha... duh duh duh da da...

i killed this shit sunz... SOLER POWERED COMING SOOOOOOOON!!

FOLLOW!!