10. "Back Seat Of My Jeep" ***
    11. "Soul Survivor" ***
    12. "Ain't No Stoppin' This" **
    13. "Diggy Down" **
    14. "Crossroads" **

* Produced by Marley Marl
    ** Produced by Bobby "Bobcat" Erving
    *** Produced by QD III
    Last edited by claaa7; 10-11-2010 at 08:53 AM.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

01. ”How I’m Comin’” (prod. by Marley Marl)
    Great fucking opener to this very underrated album, this is that true early ‘90s RAW hardcore boom bap y’all know I love. Marley Marl and LL Cool J proved to be an incredible team-up on the LP that pre-headed this, “Mama Said Knock You Out”, and to me ‘How I’m Comin’ always sounded like ‘Mama Said Knock You Out Part II’ (the song that is). The energy is on the same level, LL’s fierce delivery is that rapid fire shit in reprise and Marley’s (or is it Bobcat’s) crazy cuts take it to another level. Now this is how you fucking open up an hardcore album. LL really sounds like he’s on a rampage here judging from both the production, lyrics and delivery – “you can call me R&B; only if that shit stands for RUFF BROTHER”!!
    9/10

02. ”Buckin’ Em Down’” (prod. by QD III)
    Following the formula from the previous track with more perfected hardcore shit, LL caught some flack on this album because he was accused of trying to sound like what was in at the time – acts like Cypress Hill, Ice Cube from the West and he’s even calling in West Coast legend QD III (by way of Sweden, Stocktown stand up!!) to lace the production. I ain’t got no problem whatsoever with LL expanding his sound, he has always been like that and very succesfull with it – much because he’s one of the most versatile rappers hip-hop has ever seen and a true pioneer. This song is a certified banger as well, gotta love it.
    8.5/10

03. ”Stand By Your Man’” (prod. by Marley Marl)
    With Marley Marl’s and LL’s collaborations on “14 Shots to the Dome” it’s obvious they tried to follow the themes of the very popular and acclaimed “Mama Said Knock You Out”. This got that nice funk, with a synth-break during the chorus and some sweet female vocals – kinda reminiscent of “Around The Way Girl”. It’s a little rougher tho, both from the production standpoint and LL’s delivery but theamatically it’s pretty much revolves around the same thing but hey LL always been a Ladies man as well (as I said one of the most versatile MC’s people will ever know – and that statement stands to this day imo).
    8/10

04. ”A Little Somethin’’” (prod. by Marley Marl)
    More LL/Marley funk, I don’t know why most reviewers and even fans at the time gave “Mama Said Knock You Out” LP mostly 5/5 reviews and this was like a 2/5 album to them. Always boogled my mind, cuz while it sure as hell ain’t the classic that ‘M.S.K.Y.O.’ was it got a lot of the elements intact and neither the producer or MC is slacking in their respective departments. The hook is DOPE, classic mid-‘90s hook with the call and response hook haha!
    7.5/10

05. ”Pink Cookies in a Plastic Bag Getting’ Crushed By Buildings’” (prod. by Marley Marl)
    Marley hooks up a lovely The Emotions sample with his trademark early ‘90s funkadelic style. The drums are harder than you’re used to for these type of songs and the bass is knocking making the beat ILL. LL’s verses are FIRE here, this is one hell of an original song – so original that most people still don’t have a fucking clue what the hell the chorus means LOL. He’s speaking to a girl in the verses but incorporates the names of his Def Jam label-mates and other hip-hop heavyweights at the time like BDP, Q-Tip and others kinda like GZA did with “Queen’s Gambit” but with rap references instead of football. My guess the pink cookies in a plastic bag… is the girls pink pussy getting fucked by LL’s “big dick” (crushed by buildings) while using some plastic on his thang-thang (no homo LOL). I like this song only thing is that the Easy Mo Bee remix which was the first to use the “Give Up The Goods” sample that always been used by DJ Premier for Jeru and Gang Starr. That was for the video and it should’ve been on the album instead as well but well, well.
    7.5/10

06. ”Straight From Queens” (prod. by Marley Marl)
    After a short dip into the girl’s tracks (which is still not “soft” by the regular meaning) it’s back to the hardcore shit that’s the most over-represented on this LP. LL puts on a rapid fire flow that’s faster than we’re used to hear him which really works and it’s a great homage to Queens (home of both the MC and producer on here). A ragga artist by the name of Lt. Stitchie adds some flavor during the bridges and hooks with some ill toasting that works well to me. Banging track!
    8/10

07. ”Funkadelic Relic’” (prod. by Marley Marl)
    One of my favorite joints on the whole LP, I love the horn sample, the “Bring in the funk Baby, Bring in the Funk baby” cut that opens up the song before the hard beat drops and LL starts kicking his shit talking about his way from “Radio” (1985) to this album (1993). Once again LL rhymes in a fierce, fast delivery which is something you wouldn’t expect after many of the joints from “M.S.K.Y.O.” which had a very laid-back, smooth, “cool” flow. Altho he catched a lot of flack for that I think it just further proves how great of an MC this guy really is!”
    9/10

08. ”All We Got Left is the Beat’” (prod. by “Bobcat” Ervings)
    Another west coast production from Mr. Bobcat, but it ain’t like he called him up just because the West was the shit – LL and Bobcat been working since 1987 (he laced most of “Bigger & Deffer” LP + all cuts, claims he had A LOT more to do with “Mama Said Knock You Out” (the song) than he got credited for – he’s credited as an associate producer only when in fact he said he came up with the original idea and Marley added some few things, engineered it. He even got some live instrumentation on here (same as “Bobcat” incorporates on all 4 songs he laced for this LP). LL keeps rhyming with a real hardcore flow, I’m banging this album as I write and I’ve been taking 6 mg’s of Xanax and my dose of Methadone so I won’t quote to many lyrics.
    8/10

09. ”NFA – No Frontin’ Allowed’” (Ft. Lords Of The Underground) (prod. by Marley Marley)
    The last Marley Marl collaboration on the album (making him produce exactly 50% of the LP) and it’s more hardcore shit with mind-blowing bass, nasty turntable skills showcasing and drums that feels like you’re being kicked in the head if you’re banging this in headphones. I love how LL never used any guest artists on his album until here, this is actually the first real collaboration with another group on an LL album and considering Marley was trying to come up with Lords of the Underground at the time it’s only right they get together to bang out something memorable for the fans of LL, Marley and L.O.T.U.G. and they sure as hell do just that. LL has two or three verses while Doitall and Mr. Funky gets one each. However you look at it, this is LL’s lane and he of course comes of victorious but nonetheless shit is an amazing collabo to hear.”NO FRONTIN’ ALLOWED”!
    9/10

10. ”Back Seat Of My Jeep’” (prod. by QD III)
    Legendary QD III (produced a lot for 2 Pac and countless others, you should definitely know who he is if you’re a hip-hop – plus he is of course the son to the motherfucking man QUINCY JONES)! The beat is funky and raw, it’s a jam for the ladies but it’s far from your typical LL “love record” since this shit is a straight-up sexxx jam, LL going hard about fucking this girl in the backseat of the jeep. Now that’s an anthem LOL. A little more like the later “Doin’ It”, a sex anthem with a lot of attitude; if you got a girl who love hip-hop, like a few of the ones I meet from time-to-time LL is perfect to throw on – especially the “Mr. Smith” album. Being in bed banging “Hey Lover”, followed by “Doin’ It” during the act is sexy as hell.
    7.5/10

11. ”Soul Survivor’” (prod. by QD III w. Chris Forte & Andrew Zenable)
    QD III last contribution to the album is also his weakest, not bad by any means but it doesn’t stand out at all like the rest of the joints. I think it’s easily to hear that LL is a little out of his lane here actually and at this point there’s been so many songs following the same formula that it’s getting a little repetitive. Luckily the upcoming 3 last songs by long-time associate Bobcat includes some totally mindblowing shit in a lane where you NEVER ever heard LL rock in before.
    6/10

12. ”Ain’t No Stoppin’ This’” (prod. By “Bobcat” Ervings)
    Once again rhyming with that hardcore delivery he had on the title track from his 1990 classic LP, which is one of my favorite LL type of deliveries. I would’ve preferred this as a single instead of “Pink Cookies…”, this shit is pretty damn banging – from the hook, to the scratches (Bobcat has to be one of the most underrated hip-hop DJ’s ever – considering he’s been insane on the boards since like ’85 as far as I know). “Born and raised in NEW YORK – That’s were I come from – AIN’T NO STOPPING THIS… ” – say what you want if you think he’s trying to go West Coast on this album but LL always been repping NY to the fullest (and still does).
    8/10

13. ”Diggy Down’” (prod. By “Bobcat” Ervings)
    A little more laid-back joint that screams 1993, although there’s a heavy boom bap influence in here and even some rock patterns in the mix (considering Stan “The Guitar Man” Jones plays bass and guitar live over phat sampled drums that straight kicks you in the head). It doesn’t say in the booklet who’s providing the hook, but I’m feeling it (although it’s simple as hell LOL). This is the first of the two songs on the album where LL comments on the state of the projects in America, rasiscm and how people can change they lives. People might write off LL as strictly a “sucker MC’s bashing MC”/”Love guy” but he got so much more shit in his baggage like these two last songs right here, “The Power Of God” from his last album, “Hip-Hop” from “Mr. Smith” and a lot of songs on “G.O.A.T.” and “Exit 13”.
    8/10

14. ”Crossroads’” (prod. by “Bobcat” Ervings)
    Straight up and down this might be one of LL’s best records of all time and without a doubt his most overlooked. Just listen to this shit, the drums (which I guess are sampled) is hip-hop to the fullest but Bobcat used a full-piece orchestra for this piece (remember this was in 1993), he said they had 105 channels for the song when they recorded it and he tried to make them put out this as the first single but you know how record labels are. This pretty much follows the theme from “Power Of God” but takes it a lot further, one of LL’s most introspective rhymes ever and this whole song is a fucking MONSTER – speaking on the crossroads between heaven and hell (on earth) people have to choose between. Strictly amazing, if you never heard this song, check it as soon as possible and be surprised!
    10/10

CONCLUSION:
    LL is a guy who got such a crazy track record/discography that no matter how many duds he has put out (“Radio” to “Mr. Smith” – brilliant, “G.O.A.T. – banger and “Exit 13” banger although it could’ve been better). “14 Shots to the Dome” was one of those albums that catched a lot of hate from jump but when I’ve been visiting various forums it seems many, many people has realized how dope this LP really is. I guess it’s one of those cases when an album get shitted on for not sounding like expected (as I said many thought he was trying to imitate the West Coast sound but as I mentioned he worked with Bobcat and the LA Posse who fully produced “Bigger & Deffer” so he was actually probably the first east coast MC to get a west coast produced album ever. Marley Marl for their magical collaboration in late 1989 to early 1990 was amazing and obviously a better album and I also heard people say that this sounded like a tired re-capture of that that didn’t do nearly as well. Fair enough but when judging the music for what it is and not to his previous work this is a great album with, at least for me, a lot of bangers.

Lyrics: 8.5
    Music: 7.5
    Overall: 8.0

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

-

This album wasn't that bad but i didn't like it that much. He has a few songs on there i like such as How I'm Comin(i think this is the best song on the album), Pink Cookies In A Plastic Bag(video version sucks), No Frontin Allowed with Lords Of The Underground, Back Seat, Ain't No Stoppin This, Diggy Down.

^ what about "Crossroads"? that's amazing... i love the video version of "Pink Cookies..." tho, great beat by Easy Mo Bee. samples the same song as Mobb Deep's "Give Up The Goods".

-

I don't like Crossroads songs. I'm gonna have to listen to the album again because i haven't heard it in awhile. I like the album cover. I know the video version of Pink Cookies uses the same sample Mobb Deep used on Give Up The Goods. I think the album version of Pink Cookies is better than the video version.

-

I like The Dramatics Get Up And Get Down sample he used on Ain't No Stoppin This song and I like the sample he used on Diggy Down song which is the same sample The Pharcyde used on Passin Me By. I think that's a Quincy Jones sample. I like the cute Ethiopian woman that was his woman in Back Seat video and NBA player Charles Oakley was in the video. Charles is from my hometown Cleveland, Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

-

14 Shots To The Dome sucks hahahahahahahahahahahaha. I changed my mind that I liked the album because I only liked a few songs.

The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

smh

great album, loved this but i loved walking with a panther more. some really great tracks on here. Im one of those who really loved the crossroads track, not heard many other rap tracks like that.

-

Walking With A Panther is LL Cool J's best album.

Walking With A Panther is LL Cool J's best album.
    hahahahha you can't be serious

-

I'm serious. You think 14 Shots To The Dome is better? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. What a joke. Most of the songs on Walking With A Panther are hard and I can't say that about 14 Shots To The Dome. Pink Cookies In A Plastic Bag Getting Crushed By Buildings is a stupid song title LOL. Canibus was right about LL when he said 99% of your fans wear high heels hahahahahahahahahaha. That's why LL's last 5 albums have been garbage LOL. I don't know why he made a Youtube interview video in the studio dissing Jay-Z when Jay-Z was vice president of Def Jam records because he wasn't promoting LL's albums. Black men wouldn't have bought LL's albums anyway if they had been promoted because he hasn't made hard songs in a long time consistently LOL. His Phenomenon album is gay that has the classic song 4,3,2,1 with Redman, Method Man, DMX and Canibus hahahahahahahahahaha. 4,3,2,1 is the only good song on the album LOL.

-

Claaa7, why didn't you respond? You know I'm right LOL. I wanna tell you something that KRS One dissed Nelly about on You Don't Really Want It song that refers to LL Cool J. He said let me tell you it don't take me to say don't buy your album. Street cats ain't buying it anyway hahahahahahaha.

I'm serious. You think 14 Shots To The Dome is better? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. What a joke. Most of the songs on Walking With A Panther are hard and I can't say that about 14 Shots To The Dome. Pink Cookies In A Plastic Bag Getting Crushed By Buildings is a stupid song title LOL. Canibus was right about LL when he said 99% of your fans wear high heels hahahahahahahahahaha. That's why LL's last 5 albums have been garbage LOL. I don't know why he made a Youtube interview video in the studio dissing Jay-Z when Jay-Z was vice president of Def Jam records because he wasn't promoting LL's albums. Black men wouldn't have bought LL's albums anyway if they had been promoted because he hasn't made hard songs in a long time consistently LOL. His Phenomenon album is gay that has the classic song 4,3,2,1 with Redman, Method Man, DMX and Canibus hahahahahahahahahaha. 4,3,2,1 is the only good song on the album LOL.
    Claaa7, why didn't you respond? You know I'm right LOL. I wanna tell you something that KRS One dissed Nelly about on You Don't Really Want It song that refers to LL Cool J. He said let me tell you it don't take me to say don't buy your album. Street cats ain't buying it anyway hahahahahahaha.
    well Charles I didn't respond because i didn't look through the album reviews section since my last reply.. i'm dead serious, and how are you going to use the words HARD to deny "14 Shots to the Dome" and endorse "Walking With A Panther" LOL... everyone knows that "14 Shots" might very well be LL's HARDEST album of all time, and that's the reason many people didn't like it - because they didn't think LL was supposed to make THAT hard music, like he was a G.. "Walking With A Panther" was the album that had so much soft and weak music that LL lost a lot of fans over, and had to redeem himself by "Mama Said Knock You Out"... "DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK!!!!" he shouted, but it sure as hell was.

the reason for that album ("Mama Said...") was that the original single "Jingling" didn't do much business or had many fans, but once Marley Marl remixed it it BLEW UP!

i give you this - it's been a long time since i listened to "Walking With A Panther", and i'm sure there are some hot tracks on there that i forgot. i know the cassette version had "Jack The Ripper" which is a classic song (how the hell do you have the nerve to put that as a bonus track on cassette only, like it's some throwaway track - and on THAT album LOL), "Going Back to Cali" is pretty dope, and the Bomb Squad tracks were hot - "Nitro" and "It Gets No Rougher"... oh and "Fast Peg" is a killer track too. i'm going to go dig through my vinyl crates and dust off that LP and see if it's better than i remember. but i think i mentioned all the good songs.. what other songs are good or HARD as you say?

I am nodding my head to this shit:

while Charles is blowing up his speakers with HARD shit like this:

while I be having my neck hurting from bumping this:

Charles be grooving to this:

and last but not least, yes "Pink Cookies..." is a stupid title as hell because it's so ham-fisted, but can you please explain to me what the simple metaphor means?

-

Walking With A Panther is better than 14 Shots To The Dome, trust me. I can name several hard songs from Walking With A Panther like Droppin Em, Smokin Dopin, Fast Peg, Clap Your Hands, Nitro, I'm That Type Of Guy, Why Do You Think They Call It Dope, Going Back To Cali, Crime Stories, It Gets No Rougher, Big Ole Butt, Jealous, Jingling Baby and Def Jam In The Motherland. I don't know why Jack The Ripper and Crime Stories aren't on the cd. Did you see Veronica Webb standing behind LL with 2 other black women holding wine bottles in Walking With A Panther album picture? Veronica was the one in the middle and she was LL's woman in In Too Deep movie with Omar Epps, Nia Long, Pam Grier, Hill Harper(he's gonna be in 2Pac's All Eyez On Me movie)and rappers Shyheim, Nas and Sticky Fingaz of Onyx.