Thread: Burton and Depp's Next Film: 'Dark Shadows'

Default Burton and Depp's Next Film: 'Dark Shadows'

EXCLUSIVE: Johnny Depp To Start 'Dark Shadows' In April With Tim Burton Directing

By NIKKI FINKE | Thursday November 4, 2010 @ 12:38pm PDT
    Comments (18) Email This | Print This |
    It's star Johnny Depp's and Tim Burton's hotly anticipated next collaboration and movie. Seth Grahame-Smith, who made his Hollywood entry writing novels that put a macabre twist to literary classics and historical figures, recently snagged the high profile job of writing the new draft of the 1960s gothic daytime serial featuring the juicy role of vampire Barnabas Collins whom Depp has had a long obsession wanting to play. The film has been slated to begin production in January but today was pushed back to April. Depp’s Infinitum Nihil and Graham King’s GK Films are producing along with Dick Zanuck. (It's Zanuck's 6th collaboration with Tim Burton.)
    Warner Bros has been trying for several years to get to the starting line on this movie adaptation of the TV series that ran on ABC from 1966-1971 and had legions of fans frightened by the moody and atmospheric storyline. (Tim Burton May Push Back 'Dark Shadows' Start Date) Barnabas Collins (played by Jonathan Frid) was the central figure in the groundbreaking supernatural soap. Warner Bros purchased the film rights to the TV series from the estate of Dan Curtis (the creator, producer and director of Dark Shadows). As for Tim Burton's version, John August was the first writer hired to script the project. Grahame-Smith got the job on the basis of his own bestselling novel, Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.
    The new start date seems to complicate Depp's ability to co-star with Tom Hanks in director Kathryn Bigelow's Triple Frontier. She has been courting Johnny for the drama that she will direct in February for Paramount Pictures. The picture (also known as Sleeping Dogs) about Latin American organized crime is scripted by Mark Boal, Bigelow’s accomplice on the Oscar-winning The Hurt Locker. Depp liked the role -- and the idea of teaming with Hanks -- but his participation was subject to working out scheduling issues. And since Johnny's production company is making Dark Shadows, that project won dibbs on Depp. I hear Mark Wahlberg could be in 2nd position.

hopefully this is more 'Sleepy Hollow' and not 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'

You know what, I don't fucking care anymore. Tim Burton makes a dark movie where the lead, Johnny Depp, is dark and brooding. Who fucking wants to see that shit again?

MMM, I stand corrected.

^lol
    I used to watch reruns of Dark Shadows with my mom when I was a kid.

I'll check it out, this seems more in Burton's wheelhouse, although it continues the trend of him just remaking or 'reimagining' shit.

btw, i wish your gif had his whole dance, when he pretended to skeet on her and when the beans kicked in and he threw up lol

i have no clue wat its about other than as mentioned, its a "reimagining"...but burton+depp= CGI fuckfest 2011
    sad to know burton completely lost his touch and cant seem to direct anyone other than depp
    a.k.a. The Difference saying check out my 1st video

faggot shit

Banned

LOL burton and depp getting real flagrant with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

burton hit the wall... hes strung out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

let me guess pan, burton gonna have his dust ball wife as the female lead?!!?!?!?!?!

a cpl musical numbers?!!?!?!!?!?!

cot damn i would love to be the guy grantin burton a movie budget, id put the fear of god in that fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"hey tim, looking forward to the next shoot, just pee in this cup, leave your wife at home, and dont call johnny!!!!!!!!!!"

*burton leaves room before filling cup*

you used to be able to count of dope visuals, he hasnt done anything exciting in over a decade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL @ indian midgets as OOMPA LOOMPAS!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL @ johhny deep singing to lady death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hope it flops... timmy sleepwalking out here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL @ indian midgets as OOMPA LOOMPAS!!!!!!!!!!!
    lol that was the gayest move ever
    fuckin 100 exact copies of the same uncharismatic oompa loompa