Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GFK feat. Raekwon - "Bulletproof Wallets" (4.5 version: claaa7 re-visit)

Default GFK feat. Raekwon - "Bulletproof Wallets" (4.5 version: claaa7 re-visit)

this been up before but since i recently started banging it again and uploaded it to my blog i figured some new members on here might have missed this. it always bugged me that an album with so much potential as "Bulletproof Wallets" had to fall victim to label issues and sample clearance problems. the sequencing wasn't very good on the retail, "Flowers" was remixed from classic to unlistenable, "The Sun", "Good Times" and "The Watch" were nowhere to be find, etc. Ghost said in an interview i read that he was confident in 'BPW' being received as a third classic and a worthy follow-up to 'Supreme Clientele' and after putting this together about 2 years ago (after a whole lot of research on promo copies, articles and interviews from 2001, + common sense) i have to agree. it's not as good as "S.C." but it's still an incredible album that flows like water; there's so many great concepts on here, the production has a common theme and the amount of guest features by Raekwon and RZA production adds to the overall greatness of the original "Bulletproof Wallets".

Just like with "Supreme Clientele", Ghost and RZA masterminded "BPW" together. While RZA produces 5-7 joints on here, the other were beats that they got from other guys and then "produced" and arranged together. All recording took place out in Miami and the original title for the LP was "Cuban Linx II: Bulletproof Wallets"... also i included the retail version of "The Forest", the reason being that the sound quality is superior to the leaked original and the only difference is that GFK has a 20 bridge/hook in the OG. you can download that in the media section on this site. "Street Chemistry" was not on any of the original tracklists i've been able to find, "Strawberry" is the closing track on those so "S.C." might have been a last minute inclusion. There's been talk about a skit called "Figure 8" that was supposed to appear before "The Forest", i did not include this however - it's only a short 15 second clip from some movie but i can upload that if anyone wants it.

the reason i'm bringing this up is because i think the album is so much better this way and i'm sure it's much, much closer than the retail in the way Ghost intended it to be heard. enjoy it (you know where to find it; i won't post a link in this thread).

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

yeah i never really gave BPW the time of day so i will check it thanks, bro

check ?uestlove's review for the album (you can tell he banged the original cuz he mentions "Good Times" and "The Sun". i don't agree that "BPW" is better than "Supreme Clientele" tho, he's bugging with that statement:

http://www.webcitation.org/5uUMdbMQI

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

I've already downloaded it from your blog, thanks, ill have a listen later.

I dont like the retail version of the album at all, easily one of my least fav Ghost albums.

"The Sun" is classic.

^ glad you're checking the blog on the regular man!

i bet you will change opinion about "BPW" after you heard it this way, i was very dissapointed in the retail version too but it's funny cuz when you put it in a better sequencing and add the lost songs + toss away the weakest song ("Love Sessions") you realize there was a real jewel hiding in there all along. "The Juks"; "The Forest"; "The Hilton"; "Ice"; "Strawberry"; "Maxine"; "Walking Thru The Darkness" were all on the retail and they are all amazing songs imo. Even "Never Be The Same Again" is great to me, better than anything that was on 'Wizard of Poetry', but when it first dropped i hated it of course (along with any other R&B songs lol).

Veteran Member

You forgot to talk about "never be the same again" original version produced by RZA. This version is FIIIIIIIIIRE ! If someone still have it, i've downloaded here 4 or 5 years ago but since it's impossible to find it. One of the best beat from RZA catalogue post forever.

^ my connection is really bugging out on me but i'll upload it for you later. it's not a RZA beat though, i heard it was Choo The Specializt who laced that one - the guy behind "Malcolm". i'm also doubtful that's actually the original version of the song, some sources says it is and some sources say that they sent out the OG version to all the producers of "Supreme..." to remix the 1st single and that was Choo's remix of the track. I love that version too but the reason i don't think it's the original is because Carl Thomas sounds waaay off on that and i just can't imagine that he originally sung those lyrics on that beat. i have never found it in as good a quality either so including it here wouldn't sound right anyway.

Son of the Egyptian Blood LEGENDARYSTATUS33's Avatar

what is your blog spot address?

You blind son??

check his sig

Son of the Egyptian Blood LEGENDARYSTATUS33's Avatar

Oh shit, I must be blind...sorry bout that...I see it.

i want this version....and stop hating on WOP...except for a couple songs, it's a good album considering you know wat to expect...if ima hear an MC spit a whole album schoolin their ways of love, sex, breakups, makeups...u know its gotta be Ghost and again regarding the subject matter, he delivered
    a.k.a. The Difference saying check out my 1st video

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7
    i'll upload it for you later.
    Please...

Personally I loved the retail version of Bulletproof Wallets, there was definetley some weak tracks and it is definetley better the way you have put it together but it wasn't all that bad

Quote Originally Posted by Antonelli View Post
    Please...
    here u go:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?0f1eju179g49191

i also remember hearing that the version of "Maxine" that we know of was with a sample that couldn't get cleared so they played it over. i don't know about that one tho, because if that's the case then they sure as hell got some real talented motherfuckers to play that over cause it sounds authentic as hell (unlike that weak ass remix of "Flowers). plus i never, ever came across another version or even some concrete info on that being the case.

Veteran Member

anyone know who produced Good Times then?