Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: UFO/Alien Chronological Thread Directory.

Flight Air France 3532 : UFO case (1994) and the semi-disclosure of the french government;

The Facts :

blue line is the radar trace of the french Airbus, the red line is the radar trace of the UFO.

The encounter happened near Paris, and there was an OTAN radar next to this area.

As for every unusual observations, french pilotes must fill a form. here is the form they filled at their arrival :

For the PILOT

For the CO-PILOT

Once again, the interessant part is the description of the UFO. It is written in french and both testimony are 90% the same :

SHAPE : Disc
    COLOR : Dark/ Red Dark / Translucid
    Dimension : 300 meters (!!!)
    Distance from the plane : 25 miles

The pilot said that the object was not moving and slowly disappear while the co-pilote stated that the object was changing form.

So we got two pilots who not only said but REPORTED officialy a HUGE UFO. 300 meters is not something you can miss in the sky

The plane was at 10500m high.
    QUOTE;
    "Naturally, they alerted the closest navigation Control Center, at Reims (150 km from Paris). Their radar show nothing, but as the procedure asked, Reims warned the CODA (Centre d'opérations de la défense aérienne, the equivalent of USA's NORAD). The CODA's radar, for 50 seconds, showed a trace near the plane at the exact moment and place the pilotes said it happens. This is the red trace on the first picture of this thread. The radar trace disappears exactly when the pilots said it vanished..."

"So according to an official report, an official radar gave credit to the pilots sayings and reports."

Here is an english interview of the pilot.
    TERMS YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE READING THIS INTERVIEW :

COMETA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMETA
    English version of the COMETA report http://netowne.com/ufos/important/cometa.htm
    SEPRA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEIPAN

THE INTERVIEW : (SOURCE) http://www.ufologie.net/htm/duboc01.htm

-You were a flight commanding officer at AIR France and on January 28, 1994, you have encountered an unusual phenomenon as you were doing the Nice to London flight 3532. Could you tell what you witnessed?

-I was indeed commander of flight AF-3532 of January 28, 1994, with copilot Valerie Chauffour, and 24 passengers on board. I have kept a copy of the "OCTAVE", which is the data-processing follow-up of the flight and I can specify that above the Paris area at the altitude of 11700 meters (FL 390), the outside temperature was of minus 59 Celsius degrees, and with a wind from the North-West had a speed of1 80 km/h (311°/101 kts). The visibility was of more than 300 km (150 Nm) and the cloud cover consisted of altocumulus.

The flight encountered no airshakes. The navigation was under excellent weather conditions, in spite of the facing wind of almost 130 km/h (70 kts). That gave us a ground speed of 650 km/h (350 kts). The takeoff hour in Nice was 00h56pm UT and the arrival hour in London 02:13pm UT. It was a particularly calm flight, without particular problem. We arrived above Coulommiers when a steward who was in the cockpit noticed an object which he thought could be a weather balloon. This object was then seen by the copilot and myself a few moment afterwards.

According to their description it seemed to have a variable form and to come very quickly across our road. I first identified it like an aircraft facing us, at approximately 45 km (25 Nm), at an altitude of approximately 10500 meters (25 Nm) and at an angle close to 45°. I found this slope absolutely abnormal because aircraft are not inclined at this altitude beyond 30 degrees without risking to fall down. This object seemed to us then absolutely abnormal by its size which seemed immense, its dark red color and of the fuzzy edges. I had the impression to observe a gigantic lens in evolution.

It did not resemble anything we had seen in our flying careers. This object, this phenomenon, remained motionless while we left it on our left side, still at an aproximate distance of 45 km. We observed it during a good minute, conscious that we were seing something utterly anomalous. We continued to observe it when it gradually merged with the environment. We saw it becoming translucid, transparent, diluted in space. That was absolutely amazing. After some interrogations we contacted the control center of Rheims to announce this unidentified object to them, as we are required by air transportation regulation.

-Was this "object" tracked by your instruments? What about he black box of flight 3532? Were the communications between your aircraft and the control center in Rheims recorded?

-Our ON BOARD instruments are not intended to locate other aircraft. The airborne radar is only intended to locate storms in order to be able to avoid the air movements ascending and descebding, associated with them, characteristic of these clouds, the cumulonimbi. During this event the radar was not in operation, as it is only necessary in instrument flying (IFR). In the same way, the black box cannot in any case detect aircraft or phenomena far away from the plane.

On the Airbus 320 there is a first recorder which is the Quick Access Recorder (QAR). It records only flight parameters, speed, altitude, mechanics, engines, electric, etc. It is analyzed by the maintenance service. The second recorder, the DFDR, has the same recordings but must support the constraints of an accident. This recorder is analysed only if a crash occurs or on request of the crew. As no parameter of our flight has been modified, the tapes were not analyzed because it would have been pointless.

The UFO was at nearly 45 km of our aircraft, and there has been no electric or magnetic disturbances. On the other hand this UFO was approximately 10 km above Paris, and the Parisian people, under layer of clouds, were much closer to the UFO than we were. If there had been electromagnetic disturbances, a few million people would have noticed it. The communications were always preserved, and it is the same for the main TV and radio shows!

-Which were the continuations of this affair, at a professional and personal level? Have you been interviewd by the civilian or military authorities?

-In the immediate, the continuations were non-existent, because I did not submit a written report to avoid being ridiculed. It was three years later, as I read an article from Paris Match, which described how a UFO has been detected above Paris, that I made the connection between this UFO and that what I had seen. I then submitted a report to the Gendarmerie Nationale (French police, having an SOP for collection of UFO reports).

-Was your testimony transmitted to the SEPRA? Which were the continuations brought by this branch of the CNES?

-My report was transmitted by the Gendarmerie to the SEPRA, and the UFO Committee, was created within the framework of the Association of the Former Auditors of the Institute fot the High Studies of National Defense (IHEDN). I was heard during nearly one hour and half by the group chaired by General Denis Letty. After discussing about the observation, we concluded that the object was approximately 300 meters in diameter. I took note of the radar recordings by the CODED (Operational Center of Air Defense). There is a very curious characteristic for the trajectory of the UFO, as it shows that it would have almost collidedus.

The minimal distance on the recording is less than 1 Nm, that is to say 10 seconds of flight. This kind of observation is traditional in electronic war. The modern military aircraft are furtive, and at the same time able to synthesize a virtual image of themselves by delaying the radar echo. If a missile had been drawn on this UFO, which was above Paris, it would be our A320 which would probably have been hit by the missile. I think that it is not desirable to shoot fire at this kind of phenomenon.

-Did you speak again of your observation with your colleagues of flight 3532? Which is, now, their feeling about this affair?

-I never found the steward who was in the cockpit. My various requests to find the list of the crew fot this flight were left unanswered by the of the commercial flight crew personal management (PNC). I had indeed four crew in two days, and I did not keep the lists of the members with me, because they are on the on board documentation. On the other hand I have reexamined the case several times with the copilot who has a very precise memory of the event, and who wrote a report for the gendarmerie (police) of the Charles De Gaulle Airport. I can only suggest you asking them about their feeling now.

-During your pilot career, have you heard from collegues or other air personal, of similar phenomena?

-I barely speak about this encounter, and I had the surprise to note that about one out of ten pilot had observed a unidentified flying phenomenon.

-Your testimony appears in the COMETA Report, page 11, which has been publisehd in a special edition of the VSD magazine, this summer 1999. Were you interviewed by this association? What do you think of this report, from a general point of view?

-As I said, I was actually auditioned by the above mentionned UFO Committee, which took shape in an association named COMETA. I have recently met Mr. Denis Letty along with a friend who is flight commander on the Concorde, responsible for the training of pilots at the General Management of Civil Aviation (DGAC), in order to study a regulatory possibility to have a reports form for UFO observations on the board of all French airliners. Their report seemed to me extremely well conceived, written by high level personalities, and constitutes a reference for UFO question.

It still has some restricted diffusion because this subject is still one of the three great taboos of aeronautics. The first taboo is the cosmic radiation on aircraft. From May 2000 on, the flying personal will have to carry a dosemeter and the amount of radiation received each year will be measured and calculated according to the recommendations of the project SIEVERT which is developed by the General Management of Civil Aviation, the Institute of Protection and Nuclear Safety (IPSN), the Office of Protection against radiation Ionizing (OPRI), and the Observatory of Paris-Meudon. Flight crew of aeronautics, as well as astronauts will be soon classified among the people who receive amounts of radiations on their workplace.

The amount of cosmic radiation received by passengers or members of flight crew during a Europe to US trip and return trip is similar to a lung radioscopy, and this fact is carefully hidden to the crews and the passengers since nearly 35 years. Indeed, a recommendation of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), back in 1964, requested that the airlines take measurements of on board radiations on airliners. A modification of the European regulation in May 2000, European directive 96/29 of May 13, 1996, divided by five the maximum amount of radiation applicable to the public, which will be able to take only 1 millisievert per year, instead of five.

The airline pilots, hostesses, steward receive between two and five mSv per year, which is more than the majority of the workers in nuclear powerplants. This taboo will disapear when the information circulates in the general public. The second taboo is the suicide of the airline pilots as they fly, and it will be shattered by the accident of the EGYPTAIR 990 flight, if the assumption of the suicide of the copilot is to be confirmed.

The third taboo is the UFO phenomenon UFO, and in particular the 220 visual observations confirmed by radar, among them is mine. We can thank the COMETA team which, by the quality of its members, its knowledge, its overview, its hypothesis, makes it possible to start to discuss seriously about the sightings from all points of the planet.

-On December 7, 1999, TV viewers have an occasion to see you in the "Why? How?" show, animated by Sylvain Augier and Julie Bhaud, for the France3 channel.

-As I took part myself in the recording of this show, I had the pleasant impression that the questions were not "oriented." The "And CO" team (producing the show) seemed opened, although skeptic, and very sympathetic. If the editing does not suppress it, do you think that this kind of show can have some utility for general public? What do you think about the attitude of the medias, in general, as for their editing of UFO related information? As I wrote above, there are several taboos in aeronautics, and the reporters who dare to face these interdicts risk to be ridiculed, but also to have trouble finding a job.

This type of show require curiosity and courage, and the journalists know that they risk negative reactions, or aggressive reactions, and derision. This type of emission is very important for it makes it possible to give previously confidential information to the public. Information must pass gradually, whereas we must know that there will be all sorts of reactions. The bottomline of this problem is the maturity of the public. Is the public ready to receive the information?

The social psychologists can consider the consequences which an official meeting with an extraterrestrial civilization would have, if they have several million years of technological advance. Which upheavals would be induced? Will there be panic in the population? Which disappointed hopes? Will we find the best, the worst, or both? Which information should be given to the public?

-Today, do you think that the origin of the UFO phenomenon is not our planet?

-The imensity of the universe, its beauty, its unknown features, the current technological progress, the space travels, the orbiting stations, and what I saw, can only convince me that we are not alone in the universe and that we will take part, if we do not destroy ourselves, in the community of the species which travel across the galaxy. The true current problem of our planet is not the existence, or not, of extraterrestrial civilizations but all the problems caused by pollution, the accumulation of the weapons of destruction, fanaticism, totalitarianism, the overcrowding of our planet. If we have something to fear maybe it is not the others, but our own kind.

-To conclude this interview that you so nicely granted us, do you have a particular message, a comment to be transmitted to our readers?

-I bought myself a 14 inches telescope, and I had a small astronomical observatory with a cupola of 3,50 meters constructed. Astronomy will be one of my occupations in retirement, and if I must leave a message to your readers it is: take the time to look at the moon, the sun, the planets, the stars, the galaxies, in the astronomical reviews, a club, or at home. I hope that one day each French village will have a small astronomical observatory so that the children, and the teenagers, but also the adults, can satisfy their curiosity and become open to the mysteries of the universe.

SOURCE http://www.ufologie.net/htm/duboc01.htm

FRENCH NEWS :

French News talkin about this incident
    French News again

In this case, the pilots got the support of the CERN (the French NASA) and especially it's SERPA's bureau. One of the head of the CERN even wrote a book about this subject.

An english article on the subject : http://www.ufoevidence.org/cases/case1062.htm

FRENCH SOURCE 1 http://dai.ly/fGIbVZ
    FRENCH SOURCE 2 http://www.ovni007.com/id128.html
    QUOTE;
    "Some militaries officials, after seeing all the debates, tried to debunk this case saying that the witnesses saw the UFO coming to the left when the radar showed a trace coming from the right... The answer of the pilot about this radar "bug" is" :

"There is a very curious characteristic for the trajectory of the UFO, as it shows that it would have almost collidedus. The minimal distance on the recording is less than 1 Nm, that is to say 10 seconds of flight. This kind of observation is traditional in electronic war. The modern military aircraft are furtive, and at the same time able to synthesize a virtual image of themselves by delaying the radar echo. If a missile had been drawn on this UFO, which was above Paris, it would be our A320 which would probably have been hit by the missile. "

The RB-47 UFO Encounter | 1957;

On July 17, 1957, an Air Force RB-47, equipped with ECM gear (electronic countermeasures)
    was followed by an UFO for over 700 miles.
    As the aircraft crossed the Mississippi coast near Gulfport, McClure, manning the #2 monitor, detected a signal near their 5 o'clock position (aft of the starboard beam).
    It looked to him like a legitimate ground-radar signal, but corresponded to a position out in the Gulf.
    This is the actual beginning of the complete incident.

What was RB-47 equipped with.

quote;
    "Under conditions of war, bombing aircraft entering hostile territory can be assisted in their penetrations if any of a variety of electronic countermeasures (ECM techniques as they are collectively termed) are brought into action against ground-based enemy radar units. The initial step in all ECM operations is, necessarily, that of detecting;

The enemy radar and quantitatively identifying a number of relevant features of the radar system (carrier frequency, pulse repetition frequency, scan rate, pulse width) and, above all, its bearing relative to the aircraft heading. The latter task is particularly ample in principle, calling only for direction-finding antennas which pick up the enemy signal and display on a monitor scope inside the reconnaissance aircraft a blip or lobe that paints in the relative bearing from which the signal is coming.

The ECM gear used in RB-47's in 1957 is not now classified; the #2 monitor that McClure was on, he and the others pointed out, involved an ALA-6 direction-finder with back-to-back antennas in a housing on the undersurface of the RB-47 near the rear, spun at either 150 or 300 rpm as it scanned in azimuth. Inside the aircraft, its signals were processed in an APR-9 radar receiver and an ALA-5 pulse analyser.

All later references to the #2 monitor imply that system. The #1 monitor employed an APD-4 direction finding system, with a pair of antennas permanently mounted on either wing tip. Provenzano was on the #1 monitor. Tuchscherer was on the #3 monitor, whose specifications I did not ascertain because I could find no indication that it was involved in the observations."

RB-47

quote;
    "As the lobe continued moving upscope, McClure said the strength of the incoming signal and its pulse characteristics all tended to confirm that this was some ground unit being painted with 180-degree ambiguity for some unknown electronic reason. It was at 2800 megacycles, a common frequency for S-band search radars."

"However, after the lobe swung dead ahead, his earlier hypothesis had to be abandoned for it continued swinging over to the 11 o'clock position and continued downscope on the port side".

"Clearly, no 180-degree ambiguity was capable of accounting for this. Curiously, however, this was so anomalous that McClure did not take it very seriously and did not at that juncture mention it to the cockpit
    crew nor to his colleagues on the other two monitors. This upscope-downscope orbit of the unknown was seen only on the ALA-6, as far as I could establish. Had nothing else occurred, this first and very significant portion of the whole episode would almost certainly have been for gotten by McClure".

Map of the RB-47 UFO encounter.
    quote;
    "The signal faded as the RB-47 headed northward to the scheduled turning point over Jackson, Miss".

"The mission called for simulated detection and ECM operations against Air Force ground radar units all along this part of the flight plan, but other developments intervened. Shortly after making their turn westward over
    Jackson, Miss.,"

"Chase noted what he thought at first were the landing lights of some other jet coming in from near his 11 o'clock position, at roughly the RB-47's altitude. But no running lights were discernible and it was a single very bright white light, closing fast. He had just alerted the rest of the crew to be ready for sudden evasive maneuvers, when he and McCoid saw the light almost instantaneously change directions and rush across from left to right at an angular velocity that Chase told me he'd never seen matched in his flight experience."

"The light went from their 11 o'clock to the 2 o'clock position with great rapidity, and then blinked out".

"Immediately after that, Chase and McCoid began talking about it on the interphone and McClure, recalling the unusual 2800 megacycle signal that he had seen over Gulfport now mentioned that peculiar incident for the first time to Chase and McCoid. It occurred to him at that point to set his #2 monitor to scan at 2800 mcs. On the first scan, McClure told me, he got a strong 2800 mcs signal from their 2 o'clock position, the bearing on
    which the luminous unknown object had blinked out moments earlier".

Blue Book file card for the case;

quote;
    "Provenzano told me that right after that they had checked out the #2 monitor on valid ground radar stations to be sure it was not malfunctioning and it appeared to be in perfect order. He then checked on his #1 monitor
    and also got a signal from the same bearing. There remained, of course, the possibility that just by chance, this signal was from a real radar down on the ground and off in that direction. But as the minutes went by,
    and the aircraft continued westward at about 500 kts. The relative bearing of the 2800 mcs source did not move downscope on the #2 monitor, but kept up with them."

Flightpath of the RB-47 (dotted line) and of the UFO (plain line), drawn on their formal report by the captain of the crew.

Sources and references:

The RB-47 UFO Encounter - UFO evidence
    James E. McDonald, "Twenty-Two Years of Inadequate UFO Investigations" (1969);
    This case study by atmospheric physicist -- and leading UFO researcher -- James E. McDonald is excerpted from his paper presented at the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) UFO Symposium, 1969. R

RB-47 UFO Case Study;
    James E. McDonald, PhD., Astronautics & Aeronautics, July 1971
    Case report on the RB-47 UFO encounter, by Dr. James E. McDonald, for the UFO subcommittee of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA).

The RB-47 radar visual multiple witnesses cases, July 17, 1957
    UFOs at Close Sight (Ufologie.net)
    Articles, background, and further references for the RB-47 encounter.

Roy Craig, in the Condon Report, 1968
    Roy Craig, in the Condon Report, 1968
    The RB-47 incident was one of the cases examined by the University of Colorado UFO study (the Condon Report), with Roy Craig as investigator of the case.

The Papua New Guinea UFO sightings;

In 1958 – 1959 there were over 60 reported UFO sightings in the Papa New Guinea area, and many of them occurred around Mount Pudi near the Boianai mission station. At that time, New Guinea was still part of Australia, and the Australian Anglican Church had many missionaries working there. One of them was Father William Booth Gill (1928 – 2007) and he was stationed at Boianai. He was also an UFO sceptic. On April 5 1959 he saw a light over Mount Pudi that moved extremely fast, and on June 21 his assistant Stephen Moi Gill saw an "inverted saucer" above the mission station. Father Gill wrote to his friend, reverend David Durie:

"I do not doubt the existence of these "things" (indeed I cannot, now that I have seen one for myself) but my simple mind still requires scientific evidence before I can accept the from- outer-space theory. I am inclined to believe that probably many UFOs are more likely some form of electric phenomena--or perhaps something brought about by the atom bomb explosions, etc. "

But Father Gill was about to experience something extraordinary. Only days later, June 26, he and several other witnesses had an astonishing UFO sighting:

Gill saw a bright white light in the north western sky. It appeared to be approaching the mission and hovering about 100 meters up. Eventually 38 people, including Gill, teachers Steven Gill Moi and Ananias Rarata, and Mrs Nessle Moi, gathered to watch the main UFO, which looked like a large, disc-shaped object. It was apparently solid and circular with a wide base and narrower upper deck. The object appeared to have four 'legs' underneath it. There also appeared to be about four 'panels' or 'portholes' on the side of the object, which seemed to glow a little brighter than the rest. At a number of intervals the object produced a shaft of blue light which shone upwards into the sky at an angle of about 45 degrees.

What looked like "men" came out of the object, onto what seemed to be a deck on top of it. There were four men in all, occasionally two, then one, then three, then four. The shaft of blue light and the 'men' disappeared. The object then moved through some clouds. There were other UFO sightings during the night. Gill described the weather as variable sky - scattered clouds to clear at first, becoming overcast after. He estimated the height of the clouds at about 600 meters. The first sighting over the sea, according to Rev. Gill, seemed to be about 150 meters above the water all times. The main UFO was clearly visible and seemed mostly stationary during the twenty-five minutes of observation.

Father Gill prepared a written report of the sighting, and twenty-five witnesses signed it. Gill also made a drawing of the largest UFO:

quote;
    "This was however just the beginning. The very next day, two of the smaller objects and the larger UFO with the human like figures returned at around 06:00. Father Gill wrote a statement about what happened: "

"Large UFO first sighted by Annie Laurie at 6 p.m. in apparently same position as last night (26/6/59) only seemed a little smaller, when W.B.G. saw it at 6.02 p.m. I called Ananias and several others and we stood in the open to watch it. Although the sun had set it was still quite light for the following fifteen minutes. We watched figures appear on top- four of them - no doubt that they are human. Possibly the same object that I took to be the "Mother" ship last night. Two smaller UFOs were seen at the same time, stationary.
    One above the hills west, another overhead".

"On the large one two of the figures seemed to be doing something near the centre of the deck--were occasionally bending over and raising their arms as though adjusting or "setting up" something (not visible). One figure seemed to be standing looking down at us (a group of about a dozen). I stretched my arm above my head and waved."

"To our surprise the figure did the same. Ananias waved both arms over his head then the two outside figures did the same. Ananias and self began waving our arms and all four now seemed to wave back. There seemed to be no doubt that our movements were answered. All mission boys made audible gasps (of either joy or surprise, perhaps both). "

"As dark was beginning to close in, I sent Eric Kodawara for a torch and directed a series of long dashes towards the UFO. After a minute or two of this, the UFO apparently acknowledged by making several wavering motions back and forth. Waving by us was repeated and this followed by more flashes of torch, then the UFO began slowly to become bigger, apparently coming in our direction."

"It ceased after perhaps half a minute and came no further. After a further two or three minutes the figures apparently lost interest in us for they disappeared "below" deck. At 6.25 p.m. two figures reappeared to carry on with whatever they were doing before the interruption. The blue spotlight came on for a few seconds twice in succession."

Artist's impression of the event:

quote;
    "Father Gill and the mission people called out and shouted at the men, and beckoned them to descend, but there was no response. Two smaller UFOs higher up remained stationary. By 6.30 p.m. the scene was largely unchanged, and Gill went to dinner. This may seem a strange thing to do, but Father Gill writes":

"Having had about four hours of this sight on Friday night, we were not nearly so interested when it returned on Saturday night, especially after we were unable to persuade it to land. You must also keep in mind that there was nothing eerie or otherworldly about any of this. It was all so ordinary, as ordinary as a Ford car. It looked a perfectly normal sort of object, an earth-made object. I realized, of course, that some people might think of this as a flying saucer but I took it to be some kind of hovercraft the Americans or even the Australians had built."

"The figures inside looked perfectly human. In fact, I thought they were human, that if we got them to land we would find the pilots to be ordinary earthmen in military uniforms and we would have dinner with them."

"At 7.00 p.m. the 'No. 1 UFO' was still present, although it appeared somewhat smaller. The group of observers went to church for evensong. After evensong, visibility was very limited with the sky covered in cloud. Nothing else was seen that evening. At 10.40 p.m., a very penetrating, 'earsplitting' explosion woke up people on the station. "

"It sounded like it had come from just outside the window of the mission house. Gill felt it did not sound like a thunderclap. Nothing had been seen, but the whole sky was overcast. Other less compelling activity occurred the following night. Then it seemed the Boianai visitants had gone".

"By the time of the sightings, Father Gill was already schedueled to return to Australia, where he continued to work as a teacher and in his travels visited South Australia, Tasmania, Perth, Western Australia, the Australian east coast to Cairns, Thailand and England (where he did educational survey work and temping at Magdelan College in Oxham during 1971). He visited the United States during 1977 and 1978, lecturing in Chicago at North Western University, about his 1959 UFO experience".

"Father Gill also talked about his experience in a documentary – “UFOs are Here” made in 1977 by Guy Baskin. Listen to him talk about the sightings here:

From NICAP report about the sightings:

quote;

"In his evaluation of the incidents, Dr. Donald H. MENZEL, a Harvard University astronomer who wrote three UFO debunking books, refers to the natives as 'uneducated" and to Father Grill as being their "great leader,'' to them "a holy man'' (implying that they were influenced in their testimony). He attributed the sightings to the plant Venus viewed myopically by Father Gill. Venus, he noted, was very conspicuous in the west setting about three hours after the sun. "I think it significant that, despite the brilliance of Venus, none of the sightings by Father Gill and the mission group refers to that planet."

"Menzel then openly assumed that Father Gill was myopic and without glasses at the time, that he ''probably" had appreciable astigmatism as well (causing him to see a distorted image of Venus), plus blood cells on the retina producing illusory motion. He concluded".

"Since a very simple hypothesis accounts, without any strain, for the reported observations. I shall henceforth consider the Father Gill case as solved. Moreover, 1 feel the same phenomena are responsible for some of the more spectacular unsolved cases in the Air Force files." (See HYNEK, J. A., The UFO experience, 1972.)

"Dr. J. Allen Hynek, the former Air Force UFO consultant, notes in rebuttal that Father Gill was wearing properly corrected glasses at the time and that "Venus was pointed out separately by Gill."

"Although any prolonged series of UFO sightings with excited witnesses may be "contaminated'' by coincidental sightings of aircraft, meteors, or stars and planets glimpsed through moving cloud, the report of a large structured object (with humanoid figures) below a low overcast is not easily explainable".

http://www.nicap.org/en-590626rep.htm

Other sources and further reading:
    http://ufologie.net/htm/papua59.htm
    http://www.theozfiles.com/Boianai_Visitants_1959.html
    http://www.ufocasebook.com/Papua.html
    http://www.project1947.com/forum/bcoz2.htm

So, do you really think UFOs dont exist? Could the imagination be photographed? Or Filmed?

Reportedly, the photo was taken by a passenger on the flight who witnessed the UFO that passed near the plane. Some passengers were frightened at the object because the object, which according to some witnesses was a ball of light and which according to others would have a second form of a football, at times got too close to the plane. The mysterious object entered the clouds, and disappeared, but according to reports, he would have followed the flight by about two minutes.

Taken from plane over Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
    Published: 1:38 PM 7/23/2010;

Pics:

source; http://www.ufocasebook.com/2010/rjdbrazil.html

If this is not a fraud, a possibility which can never be discarted, whatever it is UFO case is interesting in that it is more a case for joining with other cases in which UFOs come with commercial aircraft.

UFOS chasing planes;

here with some effects to dont let any doubts about the UFO.

These were measured on July 31 with a Nokia, 3120..

Earlier in the month of May, another aircraft was registered by a mysterious passenger who went to Portugal for the UK on a flight of Ryanair.

PICS;

both cases there is very little information available.

quote;
    "Sometimes the evasive maneuver goes wrong".

"On September 26, 1997, several international news agencies published a note on unusual encounter in the skies about 16 miles from New York. On August 9 this year, a Boeing 747 Swissair Swiss company, bound for Zurich, almost collided with an unidentified flying object. Flight 127 from Boston-Philadelphia route carrying 34 passengers, 17 crew and was the 7000 meters in altitude when the object passed to dangerous 50 meters from the plane.According to the description of the pilot, it was an artifact of "long, white, wingless, while the co-pilot described it as" round ".

"According to news broadcast by radio RSR, Switzerland, the pilot and copilot, shrinking into their seats and waited without action certain that the collision was inevitable. The combination of the fact that a missile was entertained by radio because of the way white and elongated described by the crew, and the dizzying speed".

Source; http://www.rense.com/ufo/swiss.html

Was the object seen by pilots a UFO similar to this one, recorded in New York on March 20, 1950?

Some background about the last two pics:

Source; http://www.ufoevidence.org/photograp...s/photo393.htm
    quote;
    "This is not the first time a missile is shown to cause an air incident in the region. In June 1996, the midair bombing of a TWA jumbo of the company, the investigation also took into account this possibility. In that accident, 230 people died".

"However, Jean-Claude Maiden, spokesperson for the airline Swissair, ruled out a missile, confirming the seriousness of the incident and are still not revealing the results of the inquiry that is investigating the case.
    Soon after reporting the occurrence, the pilot and copilot were interviewed by the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration), the NTSB (National Transport Insurance) and FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation), the United States".

"American officials tried to put her to the event. For them, it was just a scare with a meteorological probe. Asked by the Swiss radio about this possibility, the pilot considered the hypothesis of the probe "totally unacceptable", given the speed of the artifact".

"Accidents involving aircraft with mysterious flying objects are becoming dangerously frequent.On December 19, 1996, at 9600 meters, an object described by the crew as a ball of green light collided with the cockpit of a Boeing 757-200 that made a flight from Beijing to Wuhan, capital of Hubei Province, in China".

"The plane was forced to make an emergency landing at Beijing Capital International Airport after the collision broke the glass booth".

Researched sites:

http://www.ufocasebook.com/2010/rjdbrazil.html
    http://naturalplane.blogspot.com/201...r-flights.html
    http://www.mundogump.com.br/page/6/
    http://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&so...PDIJMP68AbC2Z3
    http://www.oocities.com/gatonaval/ufologia_casos1.htm

Beyond Clear Intent ~ Lawrence Fawcett Interview.

Together with Barry Greenwood, Lawrence Fawcett has done some excellent work uncovering government documents about the UFO subject - in the radio interview below he goes into quite some detail about reported UFO incidents and discusses the declassified documents featured in his co-authored book 'Clear Intent'.

Presentation.

Lawrence Fawcett, a UFO investigator for twenty years, has held memberships in the National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena (NICAP) and the Aerial Phenomena Research Organization (APRO) and has also served as the Early Warning coordinator in New England for the Air Force-sponsored "Condon Committee" UFO study. He is on the National Board of Directors for the Center for UFO studies (CUFOS) and is the assistant director and chief investigator for Citizens Against UFO Secrecy (CAUS). This startling presentation is based on his best-selling book, CLEAR INTENT and digs deep into the U.S. Government Cover-Up of UFOs

Research History:

The Sign Historical Group - Government Folders.

This listing of government file folder headings represents 25 years of research into official interest in the UFO phenomena. The great majority of them are the result of Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) actions against official agencies in the U.S., and by similar legal actions abroad.

The information was assembled at significant cost: thousands of dollars and hours. These folders are the background documentation for the book, CLEAR INTENT, co-authored with Lawrence Fawcett and the organizational files for Citizens Against UFO Secrecy (CAUS) from 1984 through 1998. A substantial portion of the records are copies, and sometimes originals, of data acquired by researcher Robert Todd of Ardmore, Pennsylvania, who has had a huge impact on public knowledge of government UFO investigations from the mid-1970s until the late-1990s. Todd's legacy on this issue cannot be understated. Through his intricate knowledge of government agencies and their activities, he was able to pave the way to unearth more important records on this subject than any other investigator. In more recent times, another researcher, Jan Aldrich, has plowed a path through government records by personally visiting government file collections and unearthing documentation directly, rather than working through FOIA. His contributions to the subject are also reflected in these folders.

Link
    http://www.project1947.com/shg/govintro.htm

Interview:

Paracast Interview with Larry Fawcett and Don Ecker:

Intro
    Part One
    Part Two

Documents;

Barry Greenwood has been collecting UFO publications for over 40 years. His collection has become famous as a reference set for those who want to research the UFO field.
    To do any kind research, be it historical or involving UFOs, four things are required: materials, researchers, access and forums. Materials include UFO documents, reports, articles, and in this case UFO publications.

You need discerning researchers to classify, analyze, and interpret the material, while the researchers, of course, need access to the material. Finally, you need a forum or fora where analysis and work can be reviewed. To get to these goals you must have a first-rate collection of material.

Barry Greenwood's publication collection is the foundation for a complete reference set of publications, at least for material produced in North America.

The listings in the Greenwood publication collections represent material in his possession. In the case of UFO publications there are many missing issues and even publications that are not known to us.

Link http://www.project1947.com/shg/grnwood.htm

Articles:
    QUOTE;
    "Welcome to Barry Greenwood's index of UFO and Fortean-related professional and nonprofessional articles appearing in periodicals. There are over 7,535 items in this index ranging from the early 1600's through to the current year. Barry has spent over 40 years compiling this listing and we are pleased to be able to host it here on the Sign Historical Group website".

Link http://www.project1947.com/shg/bgbib.htm

quote;
    "Further footage of Larry Fawcett's presentation he does go into some pretty comprehensive detail about UFO documentation in the Paracast radio interview linked above , makes some very interesting remarks about the 1975 North American flyovers and also comments on the true attitudes of many policemen when it comes to the UFO subject".

UFOs INTRUDE INTO SAC BASE WEAPONS AREAS:

Northern U.S., October-November, 1975.
    QUOTE;
    "Over a period of about three weeks in October and November of 1975, several Strategic Air Command (SAC) bases in the northern tier states were placed on a high priority (Security Option 3) alert because of repeated intrusions of unidentified aircraft flying at low altitude over atomic weapons storage areas. The Commander-in-Chief of North American Air Defense Command (NORAD) sent a four-part message to NORAD units on November 11, 1975 summarizing the events. Some excerpts follow":

"Since 28 Oct 75 numerous reports of suspicious objects have been received at the NORAD CU; reliable military personnel at Loring AFB, Maine, Wurtsmith AFB, Michigan, Malmstrom AFB, Mt, Minot AFB, ND, and Canadian Forces Station, Falconbridge, Ontario, Canada have visually sighted suspicious objects."

Link http://www.ufologie.net/htm/sac.htm

Government documents - Loring AFB (pdf); http://www.nicap.org/docs/NMCC_assort1.pdf

Interview with Richard Hall and Barry Greenwood - co-author of the book 'Clear Intent'.

Major Keyhoe Archive Vol 1 No 5 (pdf); http://www.nicap.org/jufoh/JournalUFOHistoryVol1No5.pdf

During the night of 2/3 November 1957, there were several reports of UFOs and of interference with car headlights and car engines in Levelland, Texas.

There is a Wikipedia entry in relation to this incident: Levelland UFO Case,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levelland_UFO_Case which has featured in lists of the best UFO cases produced by several researchers (including Kevin Randle, Don Berliner and Ronald Story).

For links to various relevant documents and articles online see Francis Ridge’s “NICAP” website.http://www.nicap.org/leveldir.htm

This incident is discussed in numerous UFO books, many of which mention the fact that Sputnik 2 (containing Laika the dog) was launched by the USSR on 3 November 1957. Relevant discussion include:

(1) 16 page discussion by Kevin D Randle in his “Scientific Ufology” (1999) at pages 17-30, 31-32 (in Chapter 2), 209-210 (in Chapter 8) of the Avon softcover edition.

(2) 11 page discussion by Donald E Keyhoe in his “Flying Saucers: Top Secret” (1960) at pages 114-115, 117-118 (in Chapter 8), 130-131, 132-133 (in Chapter 9), 140-141 (in Chapter 10), 244 (in Chapter 18) of the G P Putnam hardback edition.

(3) 9 page discussion by Donald Menzel and Lyle Boyd in their “The World of Flying Saucers” (1963) at pages 174-176, 179-180, 186, 188-190 (Chapter IX) of the Doubleday hardback edition.

NICAP’s book “The UFO Evidence” (1964), edited by ufologist Richard Hall, includes the following material in relation to this incident (at pages 163-168). The relevant section of that book is available online here http://www.nicap.org/ufoe/section_12.htm

“Levelland is an oil and cotton town, population about 10,000, located in northwest Texas 32 miles west of Lubbock, in plains country. Early on November 3 its sheriff, Weir Clem, suddenly found himself cast into national prominence following a rapid series of nightmarish reports.

At 10:50 p.m. Officer A. J. Fowler received a phone call from a "terrified" farm hand, Pedro Saucedo. He and a friend, Joe Salaz, were driving on Route 116 about 4 miles west of Levelland when they saw a flash of light in a field. "We didn't think much about it," Saucedo said, "but then it rose up out of the field and started toward us, picking up speed. When it got nearer, the lights of my truck went out and the motor died.

I jumped out and hit the deck as the thing passed directly over the truck with a great sound and a rush of wind. It sounded like thunder, and my truck rocked from the blast. I felt a lot of heat."

When the object had passed, Saucedo got up and watched it go out of sight toward Levelland. It was "torpedo-shaped, like a rocket," and about 200 feet long. As the UFO moved into the distance, the truck lights came back on. Saucedo was able to start the truck and drive to a telephone. Ptn. Fowler thought his caller was drunk and shrugged off the report.

About an hour later, the phone rang again. Jim Wheeler, driving on Route 116 about 4 miles east of town had come upon a 200- foot egg-shaped thing sitting on the road. The brightly lit object cast a glare over the area. As he approached the object, his lights and motor died. When Wheeler started to get out of his car, the UFO rose into the sky. As its light blinked out, the car lights came back on.

Another call came from Jose Alvarez at Whitharral, 11 miles north of town. Driving on Route 51, he had approached a similar glowing object on the road and his motor and lights had failed.

At 12:05 a.m., Newell Wright (who did not report the experience until the next day, and then only at his parents' urging) had "motor trouble" while driving toward Levelland on Route 116 from the east. His ammeter began jumping, the motor gradually died, then the lights went out. Puzzled, Wright got out and lifted the hood to check his battery and wires. Finding nothing wrong, he closed the hood and turned around. For the first time, he noticed an oval object sitting on the road ahead of the car.

The object appeared to be over 100 feet long, and was glowing a bluish-green. Frightened, Wright jumped in the car and frantically tried to get it started, without success. Then he sat helplessly watching the object, hoping someone would drive up. After several minutes, the UFO rose "almost straight up," veered to the north, and disappeared almost instantly. The car then started without difficulty.

Meanwhile, another telephone report was made at 12:15 a.m. Frank Williams had encountered a similar object on the road close to the position where Alvarez had seen it. He also experienced motor and headlight failure. The light from the UFO was pulsating steadily on and off; each time it came on, Williams' lights went out. Finally it rose swiftly with a noise like thunder, and disappeared. Then the car functioned normally.

By this time, Sheriff Clem and other police officers had begun searching the roads around Levelland, as reports continued to come in. At 12:45 a.m., Ronald Martin saw a glowing reddish UFO descend and land on Route 116 ahead of his truck, then turn to bluish-green. The electrical system of the truck failed. When the object took off, it turned reddish again.

About 1:15 a.m., James Long encountered a glowing egg-shaped object on a farm-to-market highway just north of town. His engines and lights failed. Then the object rose quickly and sped away.

About 1:30 a.m., Sheriff Clem and his deputy were searching on the same road. Near where Long had seen the UFO, Clem saw an oval light "like a brilliant red sunset" streak across the road about 300 yards ahead of his car, lighting up the pavement. Fire Marshal Ray Jones, farther to the north, had a similar experience sometime after 1:00 a.m.; his lights dimmed and motor "almost died, then started up again."

The Pettit incident, same night, was uncovered during an investigation by NICAP member James Lee. Two grain combines, each with two engines, failed as a UFO was observed passing.

An impressive feature of these reports is that the witnesses (in most eases) were going about their business when the UFOs intruded upon the scene. There is no evidence that the witnesses were searching the sky or otherwise expecting to see anything unusual. Their independent reports told a consistent story.”

Vehicle engine failure or interference in incidents involving UFOs is a very underestimated and possibly over looked reality i feel.

The Topanga Canyon UFO incidents - June 14, 1992;

quote;
    "Bizarre UFO/USO incident(s) from June 14th, 1992 in which coastal residents of Topanga Canyon in California flooded the police with reports of multiple unknown objects emerging from the ocean - the documentary below goes into more detail about the case and there´s also a free Ebook detailing many different eyewitness statements".

Incident:
    Topanga Canyon - see 3:10 on video;

quote;
    "The Santa Catalina Channel separates mainland California from the island of Catalina, this particular stretch of water is as deep as Mount Everest is high and UFO's/USO's have been seen both entering the water and emerging from its murky depths.

But on June 14th 1992 , there were reportedly hundreds of USO's observed rising from the water.

Independent witnesses claim that there were in excess of two hundred USO's that emerged from the water, hovering momentarily before accelerating off into the sky at blistering speeds, all the while in complete silence.

There were many witnesses, many of whom filed reports with their respective local police forces, some of which were as far away as Malibu.
    These reports quickly filtered through to the US coast guard who subsequently refused all requests to search the area of the sightings."

Recording of witness phone call to police below;

"I'm ashamed to tell you cause you're gonna' think I?m crazy -I have never been more frightened in my life"

Audio Link;
    UFOS OVER TOPANGA CANYON; http://home.pacbell.net/prestone/uotc-excerpt.htm

Bethune/Gander UFO Incident, Feb.10,1951 Newfoundland, Canada ( 300 ft. Diameter UFO Spotted ! )

quote;
    Bethune/Gander incident of February 10, 1951 and this case involved credible qualified observers that were U.S. Navy personel Flying in a C-54 Aircrafthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-54_Skymaster at 10,000 ft. that observed an unidentified object over the Atlantic Ocean, near Newfoundland Canada for about 8 minutes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newfoundland_and_Labrador

Flight crew members said an orange rimmed with dark center UFO was approximately 300 ft. in diameter and was first spotted hovering over the water. As their plane approached and got closer to the object the UFO must have been startled by the unexpected visitors and began to change colours and grow in size and made an advancement towards their position.

The giant UFO shot up towards them and the startled crew members banged their heads during an effort to try and duck for cover. the object then paced the Airplane and positioned itself about a hundred feet below and about 2 hundred feet ahead. after a short peroid the UFO reversed direction at a very sharp angle and disappeared over the horizon.

Although there is no picture of the object, there was enough witness testimony along with the object being tracked on DEWhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEW_Line line ground radar at the base in Goose Bay, Labrador to validate the sighting.

crew members upon landing were interrogated by Air Force intelligence officers and later interrogated by Naval intelligence. the entire crew was instructed to fill out reports about the incident. this event was registered in the project blue book recordshttp://www.nicap.org/canc.htm and the project card lists this sighting as an Aurora display !

Gandor Case Synopsis - February 10, 1951, Off Newfoundland, Canada;
    quote;
    On February 10, a US Navy flight, Atlantic/Continental Air Transport Squadron one, located at USN Air Station, Patuxent River, Maryland, was out of Keflavik, Iceland at 49-50 degrees north latitude and 50-03 degrees west longitude about 150 kilometers [90 miles] west of Gander, Newfoundland out over the Atlantic Ocean.

The aircraft was probably bound for Gander to refuel judging by its position and course of 230 degrees true, though the report does not mention this. US Naval Reserve Lieutenant Graham Bethune, copilot of Flight 125, was occupying the captain¹s seat on the left side of the cockpit in the passenger plane when he first sighted a huge object [at least] 300 feet in diameter on a near collision course with their aircraft.

The copilot stated in his official report, "...I observed a glow of light below the horizon about 1,000 to 1,500 feet [330-470 meters] above the water. We both [the pilot as well] observed its course and motion for about 4 or 5 minutes before calling it to the attention of the other crew members.

...Suddenly its angle of attack changed. Its altitude and size increased as though its speed was in excess of 1,000 miles [1,670 kilometers] per hour. It closed in so fast that the first feeling was we would collide in mid air. At this time its angle changed and the color changed. It then [appeared] definitely circular and reddish orange on its perimeter. It reversed its course and tripled its speed until it was last seen disappearing over the horizon."

The copilot¹s report goes on to say that the object came within five miles of their aircraft which was borne out by radar evidence of the encounter because the object had been tracked by DEW Line Ground Radar at the base in Goose Bay, Labrador.

Years later Bethune was able to retrieve the reports from the National Archives and confirmed that the UFO they encountered that night had traveled 10,000 feet straight up in a fraction of a second and was tracked on radar at 1,800 miles per hour, well exceeding the 500 miles-per-hour capacity of the most advanced man-made craft at that time.

Bethune noted that his onboard magnetic compasses were spinning wildly while the mystery craft was nearby.

We had 31 people on board and a psychiatrist * we all witnessed it," he said, before adding to raucous applause: "I will testify under oath before Congress that everything I have said is true.

Weather clear, visibility from 15 miles to unlimited, no other weather information available. No unusual meteorological activity known to exist and having any in-fluence on the sighting. This object could not have been a comet as the object was below and between the aircraft and ocean.

http://www.nicap.org/can.htm

http://www.nicap.org/canc.htm

US Naval Reserve Lieutenant Graham Bethune;

http://www.ufologie.net/htm/bethune51.htm

British Ministry of Defense reports huge diamond shaped object over Scotland.

Revealed- How the government probed Britain's greatest UFO mystery.

Declassified government files have revealed how Ministry of Defence (MoD) officials launched a top-level probe into a diamond shaped aircraft seen hovering above a Scottish village.

Officials were so alarmed by the object, which was captured on camera, that they broke with established procedures and referred the sighting to ministers.

They also overrode rules prohibiting investigations into UFO sightings not considered an immediate threat to national security, and spent more than a year trying to crack the still unexplained mystery.

According to the files, the Ministry of Defence first became aware of the existence of the craft when the Daily Record newspaper presented it with six colour photographs of the object. The UFO seen by two men, one of whom captured it on camera, as it hovered in daylight near the A9, at Calvine, north of Pitlochry, on August 4, 1990.

The witnesses said it hovered for about 10 minutes – during which time military aircraft were also seen making a series of low-level passes – before moving upwards, out of sight, at great speed.

The files show that officials established from the photographs that the military craft were Harrier jets even though, intriguingly, none were operational in the area at the time.

An MoD minute prepared for the then Armed Forces Minister, Sir Archie Hamilton, and dated September 14, 1990 states: "Under Secretary of State (Armed Forces) may wish to be aware that the Scottish Daily Record may run a story regarding an alleged sighting of a UFO near Pitlochrie in early August. Such stories are not normally drawn to the attention of Ministers and the MoD press office invariably responds to questions along well-established lines emphasising our limited interest in the UFO phenomenon and explaining that we therefore do not have the resources to undertake any in-depth investigations into particular sightings.

"They [the photographs] show a large stationary, diamond-shaped object past which, it appears, a small jet aircraft is flying. The negatives have been considered by the relevant staff who have established that the jet aircraft is a Harrier (and also identified a barely visible second aircraft, again probably a Harrier) but have reached no definite conclusion regarding the large object."

The MoD even prepared a defensive media strategy in the event that journalists should bombard its press office with questions about the craft.

Journalists who quizzed the department were to be told that "no definite conclusions have been reached regarding the large diamond shaped object".

However, the Daily Record did not run the pictures.

Dr David Clarke, a university journalism lecturer and UFO expert, said: "This is the most tantalising of all the UFO reports. This shows how the MoD was worried about what the hell they were going to say. They had no idea what it was. They couldn't even identify where the Harriers had come from. It is a real mystery. It is one that can't be explained. They took it very, very seriously."

The files show that a year after the original photographs were taken, the MoD tasked experts to produce line drawings of the UFO which would give officials an idea of scale.

Even the creation of the drawings was shrouded in strict secrecy. One undated document suggests "very special handling" because of "sensitivity of the material". It also orders "minimum handling by listed personnel".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...O-mystery.html

Former MoD civil servant Nick Pope, who dealt with UFO reports, described the image as the "most impressive" ever shown to his department.

He said: "The MoD has all sorts of equipment and expertise that we used to analyse and enhance imagery to tell whether there were any signs of fakery.

"This picture was assessed by our digital experts, who concluded it was a real photograph showing a solid-structured craft which was estimated as being around 25m in diameter.

"There were no wings and no visible signs of any propulsion system.

"It was exotic and unknown in a way far beyond even the most modern stealth aircraft being trialled at that time."

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Cl...ind.5096635.jp

During his time with the ministry, Pope had a blown-up copy of the photograph on his office wall until it was personally taken down by his superior. He recalled: "My head of division removed it and put it in his drawer because he was convinced, wrongly in my opinion, that it showed a top secret prototype craft.

"Somewhere along the line the photo disappeared, but I have no idea whether it was genuinely misplaced or whether it was treated as something we shouldn't have seen and put through a shredder."

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Cl...ind.5096635.jp

Another UFO captured in Scotland;

quote;
    "2002-Glascow, Scotland. The photographer said he took this picture at about 10:00 PM, in Glasgow, Ayrshire, Scotland. He said: "I was looking out my window (I was actually looking for my cat that had ran out the door) when I saw this strange thing in the sky. As soon as I saw it, I just grabbed my digital camera and took a picture. After I took the picture, I turned round to give the camera to my girlfriend, looked back, and it was gone. There was no noise just total silence."

UFO Overlords..rare UFO documentary.from the 1970s;

INTPHOTO - Collection of Photographs UFO International http://www.ufo.it/ufo1h.htm

UFO EVIDENCE - Thousands of photographs international
    http://www.ufoevidence.org/photographs/photohome.asp

PHOTO ANALYSIS - Analyzing the computer to a photo Italian
    http://www.ufo.it/slides/battipa/PicturAn.html

REPORT Condon - Pictures UFO in search of evidence
    http://www.thecosmicfrontier.com/Cos...20Evidence.htm

UFO VIDEO ITALIANI 1993 - Details and considerations.
    http://www.ufo.it/testi/film-ufo.htm

Italian photo database;

Photograph a UFO?
    You had a sighting of an unusual aerial phenomenon and you manage to photograph or take up with a camera?
    You have found your photo in your shooting a video "something strange" that you have not perceived visually?

PHOTOCAT Project (which collects all the Italian cases with documentation photos or video) is always interested in collecting new documents, catalogs (ensuring the privacy of witnesses) and examine photos and video to run any tests knowledge.

Immediately contact the Project PHOTOCAT to communicate your own photos or videos and receive instructions.
    Upload now and share your UFO Photos or your Video UF O with new systems such as "You Tube" UFO ONLINE!

PHOTOCAT is the catalog of Italian cases with documentation cine - video-photographic detail those incidents in which evidence is offered to the visual phenomena of nature alleged ufologist usually verbally described by the witnesses.

Begun in 1992, the project; PHOTOCAThttp://www.ufo.it/classes/minifoto/Italian%20UFO%20Pictures.html has collected a large amount of documents on virtually all such cases have occurred in Italy between 1948 and 2002. It is almost 740 reports from disparate sources and characterized by a quality of extremely varied.

All photographs available (over 700) were digitized and stored within the database PHOTOCAT the form of images in standard graphic formats.

Approximately one quarter of the total is made up of events in which it is stated that at the time of depiction was not visible any abnormal phenomenon. Only after the development of that evidence would emerge. In these cases you may experience a very high presence of photographic defects (reflected in the lenses, errors of development, scratches or dirt on the film, etc. ....), often easily identifiable.

The incidence of this type of events is ever increasing in recent years, thanks to the massive spread of digital cameras. Recent data compiled by the project FOTOCAT (encompassing more than 5,000 cases international photo) by Spain's Vicente Juan Ballester Olmos highlight in 2002 as 5% of all cases were of this type photo (no visual observation contextual), while in 2003 it was 12%, and then move on to a considerable 27% in 2004.

The percentages for Italy are comparable or even higher, given the explosion of cases that you and 'recorded between 2003 and 2004, in direct connection with the mass diffusion of digital cameras.

E 'should be remembered that most of the photographs available in both low quality and, above all, of doubtful authenticity. The ease inherent in falsifying or build a picture of "flying saucer" is such that it is commonly considered these documents as the "curiosity" and nothing more. The spread of popular amateur cameras during the nineties has also contributed to a considerable increase of the videos of alleged anomalous aerial phenomena.

Some technological limitations of these tools and frequent "UFO hunting" that often is exchanged natural phenomena (eg, stars and planets) or conventional (eg, airplanes, balloons, searchlights, etc. ..) for extraordinary events are ultimate causes of many of these visual documents, though remained a number of special interest. Focuses on them, in particular, the work of investigation.

As noted above, the spread of digital cameras is creating a significant increase of visual documents, while maintaining a high quality low or very low. Unfortunately, the easy manipulation of images produced by these devices make it virtually impossible to preclude the possibility of a false, even if relatively coarse manipulations can be easily identified.

PHOTOCAT now has a database available online with the most significant of all the sightings collected is directly available for any type of consultation, research and sorting. And what's more, it offers the low-resolution versions of all images collected.

For the first time published the entire collection of photographs of Italy, about 600 low-resolution images for easy downloading via WEB. And, moreover, in the column to the left of this text, you can access a presentation, and automatic random, 25 medium-resolution photographs taken from PHOTOCAT ( "Interactive Photo Gallery")!

As of July 2007 began the final phase of the Project PHOTOCAT for the systematic collection of all the Italian cases with evidence photos or videos. Read the new blog dedicated to the Project PHOTOCAT with updates, information and photos.

http://www.photocat.org/

Some of the hundreds of photographs gathered under the Project PHOTOCAT. The vast majority of available documents are false or phenomena related to conventional (natural or artificial).

PHOTOS OF THE MYSTERY?

UFO Government Documentary Evidence ~ John Greenewald Junior.

XConference - John Greenewald Jr. - The Black Vault's Quest for Truth

For nearly 9 years, John Greenewald, Jr. has been exploring the archives of the U.S. Government for undeniable proof of the UFO Phenomenon. In those nine years, he has created the largest online archive anywhere in the world. Join John as he sifts through the mounds of Government documents and see the most fascinating results.

Some of the more interesting government UFO documents:

UFO visualy correllated by pilot and ground radar for 49 minutes

49 MINUTES RADAR VISUAL UFO OBSERVATION, 1955:
    The report is quite spectacular.

It is a copy of a preliminary report of the Pepperell AFB, Newfoundland UFO sighting.

The authors are aware of the importance of the sighting: they acknowledge that there are radar/visual sightings "from time to time," but this one lasted 49 minutes.

Also, the pilot and the ground radar operator communicated in real time what the manoeuvers of the objects were and the concordance is established "exactly."

Link http://www.ufologie.net/htm/foia.htm

Document discussing several UFO incidents in the vicinity of the A.E.C (Atomic Energy Commission) at Los Alamos, New Mexico

TO: DIRECTOR, FBI DATE: January 31, 1949

SUBJECT: PROTECTION OF VITAL INSTALLATIONS
    FILS 65-58300

CONFIDENTIAL

...During the past two months various sightings of unexplained phenomena have been reported in the vicinity of the A.E.C [Atomic Energy Commission] at Los Alamos, New Mexico, where these phenomena now appear to be concentrated. During December 1948 on the 5th, 6th, 8th, 13, 14th, 20th and 25th sightings of unexplained phenomena were made near Los Alamos by Special Agents of the Office of Special Investigation; Airline Pilots; Military Pilots; Los Alamos Security Inspectors, and private citizens. On January 6, 1949, another similar object was sighted in the same area.

http://www.ufologie.net/htm/foia.htm

UFO Observed By Pilots Making 90 Degree Turn ~ September 10, 1951

Document One
    Document Two
    Lt. Rogers followed the object in a diving turn to the left descending to an altitude of about 16,000 fet with the object about 8,000 feet below and to the right of the aircraft. Thereafter he tried to keep a course paralleling, but above, that of the object.

As soon as Major Ballard completed his radio report he was notified of the strange object. Both watched it make a 90 degree turn to the left and kept it under observation together while it covered approximately 20 miles before it disappeared out to sea.

On the same date a radar station at Ft. Monmouth reported two targets that were unidentified, traveling over 700 mph, and giving returns that could not be explained as being equipment malfunction, anomalous propagation, or anything but an actual target as described in the attached report.

Link http://www.nicap.org/docs/monmouth/s...510910doc3.htm

USAF Document describing unknown object 'making crater' in Swedish lake:

Document

CIA report Flying Saucers over Belgian Congo Uranium mines;

Document

Multiple Radar and Visual Sighting of two UFOs -US army.Panama, 1958

Document;

Links:

Ufologie - FOIA declassified documents ; http://www.ufologie.net/htm/foia.htm

UFO Evidence - Government UFO Documents http://www.ufoevidence.org/govtdocs/index.asp

The Black Vault -Government Document Archive
    http://community.theblackvault.com/articles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

US Embassy in Kuwait:UFO report;

A stunning declassified document: This is a cable from the US Embassy in Kuwait discussing the details and particulars of several quite spectacular UFO sightings and incidents in Kuwait in 1979, including the traditionnal unexplained shutdown of electrical equipment which worked fine again after the UFO's departure.

The report proves that there are similarities between UFO events over Noth America and different places of the globe, and that in Kuwait, the governement like most government do, took interest in the events and investigated them, eliminating prosaic explanations like spy planes, but remaining reluctant to name the UFO "extra terrestrial crafts."

REFERENCES:

Title: UFO SIGHTINGS CAUSE SECURITY CONCERN IN KUWAIT
    To: Secretary of State, various American Embassies, Secretary of Defense, and other agencies and officals
    Author: American Embassy, Kuwait
    Date: January 29 (?) 1979
    Length: 2 page
    Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
    CC: None

THE TEHERAN 1976 CASE:

A declassified document related to the famous Teheran UFO and jet fighter encounter in 1976.

This is a capital case, acknowleged by a US intelligence agency, where a UFO encountered an aircraft, and reacted in a superior ant intelligent manner to the aircraft's interception attempt by shutting down temporarily the aircraft's weapons system.

The DIA evaluation termed this "An outstanding report. This case is a classic which meets all the criteria necessary for a valid study of the UFO phenomenon." The analysis called the UFO performance "awesome," noting that the objects displayed "an inordinate amount of maneuverability."

REFERENCES:
    Title: DIA Defense Information Evaluation Report IR No. 6846013976
    To: Censored
    Author: Major Roland B. Evans, USAF, Military Capability Analyst.
    Date: September 22, 1976
    Length: 5 pages.
    Classification: Top secret, Declassified
    CC: None.

Document One
    Document Two
    Document Three

Document Four

Admiral Hillenkoetter may have had it right when he said:

"Behind the scenes high-ranking Air Force officers are soberly concerned about the UFOs. But through official secrecy and ridicule, many citizens are led to believe the unknown flying objects are nonsense...".

Former CIA Director Vice Admiral Roscoe Hillenkoetter, signed statement to Congress, August 22, 1960.

Title: ALMA-ATA PATROLMEN REPORT UFO SIGHTING.

Origin: CIA, from TASS Agency report.

To: Numerous recipients including PSY OP

Date: April 19, 1991

Length: 1 page among at least 93 pages.

Classification: Unclassified

BuddaHazeMysteryDeepSpace pro.Graveface's Avatar

PEACE FATAL,
    yo i came across this dont know if u had it allready,
    http://www.librarising.com/cosmology/baran.html
    ICHI
    Art of Graveyardpoetry
    http://www.reverbnation.com/c./a4/21...86/Artist/link
    http://www.myspace.com/mc-gravespace
    Mother Yin Father Yang are my GrandParents!
    Graveface is now Gravespace

Quote Originally Posted by pro.Graveface View Post
    PEACE FATAL,
    yo i came across this dont know if u had it allready,
    http://www.librarising.com/cosmology/baran.html
    ICHI
    + rep

thanks man always like reading about this....ironically science was one of my favorite subjects in high school

i plan on revising this with another thread maybe

ARE FLYING SAUCERS REAL? By J. Allen Hynek

J. Allen Hynek - Saturday Eve. Post (1966)

In the following 12/17/66 Saturday Evening Post article, Dr. Hynek speaks about his years examining the UFO phenomena.

Quote from J. Allen Hynek;

"For years the Air Force has dismissed them as hoaxes, hallucinations or misidentifications. Now the Air Force's own scientific consultant on unidentified flying objects declares that many of the sightings cannot be so easily explained.

On August 25, 1966, an Air Force officer in charge of a missile crew in North Dakota suddenly found that his radio transmissions was being interrupted by static. At the time, he was sheltered in a concrete capsule 60 feet below the ground. While he was trying to clear up the problem, other Air Force personnel on the surface reported seeing a UFO--an unidentified flying object high in the sky. It had a bright red light, and it appeared to be alternately climbing and descending. Simultaneously, a radar crew on the ground picked up the UFO at 100,000 feet.

So begins a truly puzzling UFO report--one that is not explainable as it now stands by such familiar causes as a balloon, aircraft, satellite or meteor. "When the UFO climbed, the static stopped," stated the report made by the base's director of operations. "The UFO began to swoop and dive. It then appeared to land ten to fifteen miles south of the area. Missile-site control sent a strike team (well-armed Air Force guards) to check.

When the team was about ten miles from the landing site, static disrupted radio contact with them. Five to eight minutes later the glow diminished, and the UFO took off. Another UFO was visually sighted and confirmed by radar. The one that was first sighted passed beneath the second. Radar also confirmed this. The first made for altitude toward the north, and the second seemed to disappear with the glow of red."

This incident, which was not picked up by the press, is typical of the puzzling cases that I have studied during the 18 years that I have served as the Air Force's scientific consultant on the problem of UFO's. What makes the report especially arresting is the fact that another incident occurred near the base a few days earlier. A police officer--a reliable man---saw in broad daylight what he called "an object on its edge floating down the side of a hill, wobbling from side to side about ten feet from the ground. When it reached the valley floor, it climbed to about one hundred feet, still tipped on its edge, and moved across the valley to a small reservoir."

The object which was about 30 feet in diameter, next appeared to flatten out, and a small dome became visible on top. It hovered over the water for about a minute, then moved to a small field, where it appeared to be landing. It did not touch the ground, however, but hovered at a height of about 10 feet some 250 feet away from the witness, who was standing by his parked patrol car. The object then tilted up and disappeared rapidly into the clouds. A fantastic story, yet I interviewed the witness in this case and am personally satisfied that he is above reproach.

During the years that I have been its consultant, the Air Force has consistently argued that UFO's were either hoaxes, hallucinations or misinterpretations of natural phenomena. For the most part I would agree with the Air Force. As a professional astronomer--I am chairman of the department of astronomy at Northwestern University--I have had no trouble explaining the vast majority of the reported sightings.

But I cannot explain them all. Of the 15,000 cases that have come to my attention, several hundred are puzzling, and some of the puzzling incidents, perhaps one in 25, are bewildering. I have wanted to learn much more about these cases than I have been able to get from either the reports or the witnesses.

These special cases have been reported by highly respected, intelligent people who often had technical training -- astronomers, airport -tower operators, anthropologists, Air Force officer, FBI personnel, physicians, meteorologists, pilots, radar operators, test pilots and university professors. I have argued for years within the Air Force that these unusual cases needed much more study than they were getting. Now, finally, the Air Force has begun a serious scientific investigation of the UFO phenomena. (J.C. The Colorado, Condon Committee)

The public, I am certain, wants to know what to believe--what can be believed--about the "flying saucer" stories that seem to be growing more sensational all the time. With all loyalty to the Air Force, and with a deep appreciation of its problems, I now feel it my duty to discuss the UFO mystery fully and frankly. I speak as a scientist with unique experience. To the best of my knowledge, I am the only scientist who has spent nearly 20 years monitoring the UFO situation in this and other countries and who has also read many thousands of reports and personally interviewed many sighters of UFO's.

Getting at the truth of "flying saucers" has been extraordinarily difficult because the subject automatically engenders such instantaneous reactions and passionate beliefs. Nearly all of my scientific colleagues, I regret to say, have scoffed at the reports of UFO's as so much balderdash, although this was a most unscientific reaction since virtually none of them had ever studied the evidence. Until recently my friends in the physical sciences wouldn't even discuss UFO's with me.

The subject, in fact, rarely came up. My friends were obviously mystified as to how I, a scientist, could have gotten mixed up with "flying saucers" in the first place. It was a little as though I had been an opera singer who had suddenly taken it into his head to perform in a cabaret. It was all too embarrassing to bring up in polite conversation.

While the scientists were chuckling at UFO's, a number of groups of zealous citizens were telling the public that "flying saucers" did indeed exist. The believers in UFO's charged the Air Force with concealing the existence of "flying saucers" to avoid a public panic. Since I was the Air Force's consultant, these groups accused me of selling out as a scientist, because I did not admit that UFO's existed. I was the Air Force's stooge., its tame astronomer, a man more concerned with preserving his consultant's fee than with disclosing the truth to the public.

I received many letters attacking me for not attacking the Air Force. One typical writer pointed out that as a scientist my first allegiance was to "fact." he went on to state, "Any person who has closely followed the UFO story knows that many reports have been 'explained away' in a manner that can only be called ludicrous."

Another typical letter declared: "In spite of the fact that the [Air Force} claims (or is instructed to claim) that UFO's do not exist, I think that common sense tells most of us that they do. There have been too many responsible people through the years that have had terrifying experiences involving UFO's. I think our Government insults the intelligence of our people in keeping information regarding UFO's from them."

The question of UFO's has developed into a battle of faiths. One side, which is dedicated to the Air Force position and backed up by the "scientific establishment," knows that UFO's do not exist; the other side knows that UFO's represent something completely new in human experience. And then we have the rest of the world, the great majority of people who if they think about the subject at all, don't know what to think.

The question of whether or not UFO's exist should not be a battle of faiths. It must be a subject for calm, reasoned, scientific analysis.

In 1948, when I first heard of the UFO's, I though they were sheer nonsense, as any scientist would have. Most of the early reports were quite vague: "I went into the bathroom for a drink of water and looked out of the window and saw a bright light in the sky. It was moving up and down and sideways. When I looked again, it was gone."

At the time, I was director of the observatory at Ohio State University in Columbus. One day I had a visit from several men from the technical center at Wright-Patterson Air Force base, which was only 60 miles away in Dayton. With some obvious embarrassment, the men eventually brought up the subject of "flying saucers" and asked me if I would care to serve as consultant to the Air Force on the matter.

The job didn't seem as though it would take too much time, so I agreed. When I began reviewing cases, I assumed that there was a natural explanation for all of the sighting--or at least there would be if we could find out enough data about the more puzzling incidents. I generally subscribed to the Air Force view that the sightings were the results of misidentification, hoaxes or hallucinations.

During the next few years I had no trouble explaining or discarding most of the cases referred to me, but a few were baffling enough to make me wonder--cases that the Air Force would later carry as "unidentified." Let me emphasize the point that the Air Force made up its own mind on each case; I merely submitted an opinion. I soon found that the Air Force had a tendency to upgrade its preliminary explanations while compiling its yearly summaries; a "possible" aircraft often became a "probable" aircraft. I was reminded of the Greek legend of Procrustes, who tried to fit all men to his single bed. If they were too long, he chopped them off; if they were too short, he stretched them out.

Public statements to the contrary, the Air Force has never really devoted enough money or attention to the problem of UFO's to get to the bottom of the puzzling cases. The Air Force's UFO evaluation program, known as "Project Blue Book," is housed in one room at Wright-Patterson. For most of its history Project Blue Book has been headed by a captain. This fact alone will tell anyone familiar with military procedures the relative position of Project Blue Book on the Air Force's organization chart.

The staff, which has usually consisted of two officers and a sergeant, has had to try to decide, on the basis of sketchy statements, the causes of all UFO sightings reported to the Air Force. From 1947 through 1965, Project Blue Book reviewed 10,147 cases. Using the Air Force's criteria, the project identified 9,501, leaving over 600 that were carried as unidentified.

By 1952 my feeling that the Air Force was not investigating the reports seriously enough led me to write a paper suggesting that the subject deserved much closer study. In 1953 the Air Force did give UFO's more attention, although not nearly enough, to my mind. A panel of some of the top scientists in the country was assembled under the direction of Howard P. Robertson, a distinguished physicist from Cal Tech.

The Robertson panel discussed UFO's for four days. Most of the cases, incidentally, were not as puzzling as some of the ones we have now. What was more, the panel was given only 15 reports for detailed study out of the several hundred that had been made up to that time, although it did quickly review many others. This was akin to asking Madame Curie to examine a small fraction of the pitchblende she distilled and still expecting her to come out with radium.

I was listed as an associate member of the panel, but my role was really more that of an observer. After completing its brief survey, the panel concluded that "the evidence presented on unidentified flying objects showed no indication that these phenomena constitute a direct physical threat to the national security," and that "we firmly believe there is no residuum of cases which indicate phenomena which are attributable to foreign artifacts capable of hostile acts, and that there is no evidence that the phenomena indicated a need for revision of current scientific concepts." It is interesting to note the phrase "we firmly believe," a phrase more appropriate to the cloth than to the scientific fraternity.

The Robertson report immediately because the main justification of the Air Force's position--there is nothing to worry about--and it so remains to this day. I was not asked to sign the report, but I would not have signed if I had been asked. I felt that the question was more complicated than the panel believed and that history might look back someday and say that the panel had acted hastily. The men took just four days to make a judgment upon a perplexing subject that I had studied for more than five years without being able to solve to my satisfaction.

In 1953, the year of the Robertson report, there occurred one of the most puzzling cases that I have studied. It was reported first in Black Hawk, S. Dak., and then in Bismarck, N. Dak., during the night of August 5 and the early morning of August 6. A number of persons in Black Hawk reported seeing several strange objects in the sky. What made these reports particularly significant was the fact that these people were trained observers--they were part of the national network of civilians who were keeping watch for enemy bombers.

At approximately the same time, unidentified blips showed up on the radarscope at Ellsworth Air Force Base, which is near Black Hawk. An airborne F-84 fighter was vectored into the area and reported seeing the UFO's. The pilot radioed that one of the objects appeared to be over Piedmont S. Dak., and was moving twice as fast as his jet fighter. It was "brighter than the brightest star" he had ever seen. When the pilot gave chase, the light "just disappeared." Five civilians on the ground, who had watched the jet chase the light, confirmed the pilot's report.

Later a second F-84 was sent aloft and directed toward the UFO, which still showed on ground radar. After several minutes, the pilot reported seeing an object with a light of varying intensity that alternated from white to green. While the pilot was pursuing the UFO, he noted that his gunsight light had flashed on, indicating that his plane's radar was picking up a target. The object was directly ahead of his aircraft but at a slightly greater altitude. It then climbed very rapidly. When the pilot saw he was hopelessly losing ground, he broke off the chase. Radar operators on the ground tracked the fighter coming back from the chase, while the UFO continued on out of range of the scope.

As the object sped off to the north, Ellsworth Air Force Base notified the spotter's control center in Bismarck, 220 miles to the north, where a sergeant then went out on the roof and saw a UFO. The Air Force had no planes in Bismarck that could be sent after the UFO, which finally disappeared later that night.

I investigated this reported sighting myself and was unable to find a satisfactory explanation. In my report, I noted that "the entire incident, in my opinion, has too much of an Alice in Wonderland flavor for comfort."

Continued: "Hynek 12/17/66 Sat. Eve. Post article.2"

ARE FLYING SAUCERS REAL? - By J. Allen Hynek (continued)

It was about this time that some firm believers in UFO's became disgusted with the Air Force and decided to take matters into their own hands, much like the vigilantes of the Old West; they organized "to do the job the Air Force was mishandling." These groups composed of people with assorted backgrounds, were often the recipients of intriguing reports that never came to the official attention of Project Blue Book. The first group of this kind in the United States was the APRO (Aerial Phenomena Research Organization), founded in 1952 and still going strong, as is NICAP (National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena) which was organized several years later.

As the years went by, I learned more and more about the global nature of UFO sightings. At first I had assumed that it was a purely American phenomenon, like swallowing goldfish. But reports of sightings kept coming in from around the world until 70 countries were on the list. As a scientist, I naturally was interested in correlating all of the data; a zoologist studying red ants in Utah, say, wants to find out about a new species found along the Amazon. But when I suggested to the Air Force that the air attaches abroad be used to gather reports on foreign sightings, I was turned down. No one in a position of authority seemed to want to take up the time of the officers with such an embarrassing subject.

Gradually, I began to accumulate cases that I really couldn't explain, cases reported by reliable, sincere people whom I often interviewed in person. I found that the persons making these reports were often not acquainted with UFO's before their experience, which baffled and thoroughly frightened them. Fearing ridicule, they were often reluctant to report the sighting and did so only out of a sense of duty and a tremendous desire to get a rational explanation for their irrational experience. One typical letter to me concluded with the sentence: "Hoping you don't think I'm nuts but not caring if you do, Sincerely," . . .

We had many reports from people of good repute, yet we had no scientifically incontrovertible evidence--authenticated movies, spectrograms of reported lights, "hardware"--on which to make a judgment. There are no properly authenticated photographs to match any of the vivid prose descriptions of visual sightings. Some of the purported "photographs" are patent hoaxes. Others show little detail; they could be anything. Some show a considerable amount of detail, but cannot be substantiated.

The evidence for UFO's, then, was entirely without physical proof. But were all of the responsible citizens who made reports mistaken or victims of hallucinations? It was an intriguing scientific question, yet I couldn't find any scientists to discuss it with.

The general view of the scientists was that UFO's couldn't exist, therefore they didn't exist, therefore let's laugh off the idea. This, of course, is a violation of scientific principles, but the history of science is filled with such instances. Some scientists refused to look through Galileo's telescope at sunspots, explaining that "since the sun was perfect, it couldn't have spots, and therefore it was no use looking for them." Other scientists refused to believe in the existence of meteorites; who would be foolish enough to think that a stone could fall from the sky?

From time to time I would urge the Air Force to make a more thorough study of the phenomenon, but nothing ever came of it. I began to feel a very real sense of frustration. As the years went by, I continued to find cases that puzzled me while I examined reports for Project Blue Book. People who were afraid that the Air Force would scoff at their reports began sending me letters that were often detailed and well written about their experiences.

The Air Force never attempted to influence my view on any case, but occasionally the service would disregard my evaluations. What was more, I was not consulted on some key cases. (One of the most recent was the well-publicized incident involving two policemen in Ravenna, Ohio, last spring.)

Then, from 1958 through 1963, the UFO reports began to diminish in quality as well as quantity, and I felt that perhaps the "flying-saucer" era was at last on the wane and would soon vanish. But since 1964 there has been a sharp rally in the number of puzzling sightings.

The more impressive cases seem to fit into a pattern. The UFO's had a bright red glow. They hovered a few feet off the ground, emitting a high-pitched whine. Animals in the vicinity were terrified, often before the UFO's became visible to the people who later reported the incident. When the objects at last began to disappear, they vanished in a matter of seconds.

A very real paradox was now beginning to develop. As the Air Force's consultant, I was acquiring a reputation in the public eye of being a debunker of UFO's. Yet, privately, I was becoming more and more concerned over the fact that people with good reputations, who had no possible hope of gain from reporting a UFO, continued to describe "out-of-this-world" incidents.

In July, 1965, I wrote a letter to the Air Force calling again for a systematic study of the phenomenon. "I feel it is my responsibility to point out," I said, "that enough puzzling sightings have been reported by intelligent and often technically competent people to warrant closer attention than Project Blue Book can possible encompass at the present time."

Then, in March of this year, came the reports of the now-celebrated "swamp-gas" sightings in Michigan. On two separate nights, at spots separated by 63 miles, nearly 100 people reported seeing red, yellow, and green lights glowing over swampy areas. When I received the first accounts of the UFO's, I recognized at once that my files held far better, more coherent and more articulate reports than these.

Even so, the incident was receiving such great attention in the press that I went to Michigan with the hope that here was a case that I could use to focus scientific attention on the UFO problem. I wanted the scientists to consider the phenomenon.

But when I arrived in Michigan, I soon discovered that the situation was so charged with emotion that it was impossible for me to do any really serious investigation. The Air Force left me almost completely on my own, which meant that I sometimes had to fight my way through the clusters of reporters who were surrounding the key witnesses whom I had to interview.

The entire region was gripped with near-hysteria. One night at midnight I found myself in a police car racing toward a reported sighting. We had radio contact with other squad cars in the area. "I see it" from one car, "there it is" from another, "it's east of the river near Dexter" from a third. Occasionally even I thought I glimpsed "it."

Finally several squad cars met at an intersection. Men spilled out and pointed excitedly at the sky. "See--there it is! It's moving!"

But it wasn't moving. "It" was the star Arcturus, undeniably identified by its position in relation to the handle of the Big Dipper. A sobering demonstration for me.

In the midst of this confusion, I got a message from the Air Force: There would be a press conference, and I would issue a statement about the cause of the sightings. It did me no good to protest, to say that as yet I had no real idea what had caused the reported sightings in the swamps. I was to have a press conference, ready or not.

Searching for a justifiable explanation of the sightings, I remembered a phone call from a botanist at the University of Michigan, who called to my attention the phenomenon of burning "swamp gas." This gas, caused by decaying vegetation, has been known to ignite spontaneously and to cast a flickering light. The glow is well-known in song and story as "jack-o'-lantern," "fox fire," and "wil-o'-the-wisp." After learning more about swamp gas from other Michigan scientists, I decided that it was a "possible" explanation that I would offer to the reporters.

The press conference, however, turned out to be no place for scholarly discussion: it was a circus. The TV cameramen wanted me in one spot, the newspaper men wanted me in another, and for a while both groups were actually tugging at me. Everyone was clamoring for a single, spectacular explanation of the sightings.

They wanted little green men. When I handed out a statement that discussed swamp gas, many of the men simply ignored the fact that I said it was a "possible" reason. I watched with horror as one reported scanned the page, found the phrase "swamp gas," underlined it, and rushed for a telephone.

Too many of the stories the next day not only said that swamp gas was definitely the cause of the Michigan lights but implied that it was the cause of other UFO sightings as well. I got out of town as quickly and as quietly as I could.

I supposed that the swamp-gas incident, which has become a subject for cartoons that I greatly enjoy, was the low point of my association with UFO's. The experience was very obvious proof that public excitement had mounted to the point that it was ridiculous to expect one professor, working alone in the field, to conduct a scholarly investigation. We had quite clearly reached a new state in the UFO problem. (jc 8/1/2006:

There was more to the Michigan cases than even Dr. Hynek realized at the time. For an extremely important study concerning same, please see Dr. Harry Willnus' thorough investigation and my own pointers to other pertinent information.)

Three weeks after the Michigan incident I appeared before a hearing into UFO's that was conducted by the House Committee on Armed Services. I pointed out to the committee that I had a dossier of "twenty particularly well-reported UFO cases which, despite the character, technical competence and number of witnesses, I have not been able to explain. Ten of these reports were made by scientists or by highly trained individuals, five were made by members of the armed services or police, and five were made by other reliable people. The committee urged the Air Force to give continued attention to the subject and was assured by Air Secretary Dr. Harold Brown that it would.

A serious inquiry into the nature of UFO's would be justified, in my opinion, just on the basis of the puzzling cases that have been reported during the last two years. It seems to me that there are now four possible explanations for the phenomena:

First, they are utter nonsense, the result of hoaxes or hallucinations. This, of course, is the view that a number of my scientific colleagues have taken. I think that enough evidence has piled up to shift the burden of proof to the critics who cry fraud. And if the UFO's are merely hallucinations, they still deserve intensive study; we need to learn how the minds of so many men so widely separated can be so deluded over so many years.

Second, the UFO's are some kind of military weapon being tested in secret. This theory is easily dispensed with. Secret devices are usually tested in very limited geographical areas. Why should the United States, or any other country, test them in scores of nations? The problem of preventing a security leak would be impossible.

Third, the UFO's are really from outer space. I agree with the Air Force. There is no incontrovertible evidence, as far as I can see, to say that we have strange visitors. But it would be foolish to rule out the possibility absolutely.

Solely for the sake of argument, let me state the case in its most favorable light. We all suffer from cosmic provincialism--the notion that we on this earth are somehow unique. Why should our sun be the only star in the universe to support intelligent life, when the number of stars is a 1 followed by twenty zeros?

Stars are born, grow old and die, and it now seems that the formation of planetary systems is part of this evolutionary process. You would expect to find planets around a star just as you find kittens around a cat or acorns around an oak. Suppose that only one star in 10 is circled by a planetary system that has life; that means that the number of life-supporting stars in the universe would be a 1 followed by 19 zeros.

We also know that some stars are many millions of year older than our sun, which means that life elsewhere in the universe may have evolved many millions of years beyond our present state. That could mean that other planets in other solar systems may have solved the problem of aging, which we are beginning to grapple with even now. If a life span reached 10,000 years, let us say, a space journey of 200 to 300 years would be relatively short. In that time it would be possible to get from some distant planetary systems to ours.

A highly advanced civilization, such as the one I am postulating, would naturally keep an eye on the progress of life elsewhere in its galaxy. Any signs of unusual scientific progress might be reason enough to send a reconnaissance vehicle to find out what was going on. It so happens that in recent years we have made a very important advance of this kind; the development of the use of nuclear energy.

This is still "science fiction," of course, but let me take the story a step further. Some skeptics who scoff at reported UFO sightings often ask why the "flying saucers" don't try to communicate with us. One answer might be; Why should they? We wouldn't try to communicate with a new species of kangaroo we might find in Australia; we would just observe the animals.

Is there any connection between the reported UFO sightings and the scientific probability of life elsewhere in our galaxy? I don't know. I find no compelling evidence for it, but I don't rule it out automatically.

The fourth possible explanation of UFO's is that we are dealing with some kind of natural phenomenon that we as yet cannot explain or even conceive of. Think how our knowledge of the universe has changed in 100 years. In 1866 we not only knew nothing about nuclear energy, we didn't even know that the atom had a nucleus. Who would have dreamed 100 years ago that television would be invented? Who can say what startling facts we will learn about our world in the next 100 years?

All of these possibilities deserve serious consideration and now, at long last, they will get it. In October the Air Force announced that a thorough investigation of UFO's will be conducted at the University of Colorado by a team of distinguished scientists, headed by Dr. Edward Condon, the former director of the National Bureau of Standards.

I cannot help but feel a small sense of personal triumph and vindication. The night the appointment was announced, my wife and I went out and had a few drinks to celebrate.

I am particularly pleased that the Condon committee will have time to work into the problem because I cannot consider anyone qualified to speak authoritatively on the total UFO phenomenon unless he has read at least a few thousand original (not summarized) reports, and is thoroughly acquainted with the global nature of reported UFO sightings. The truly puzzling and outstanding UFO reports are few in number compared to the welter of poor reports.

Recently I had dinner with several members of the Condon committee. What a pleasure it was to sit down with men who were open-minded about UFO's, who did not look at me as though I were a Martian myself. For the first time other scientists, who apparently have been wondering all along, have openly talked about the reports.

One leading scientist wrote me the other day: "For some time now I have been convinced of the reality of this phenomenon based on reports in the general news media. It has seemed to me that even with a heavy discount there is a core of reliable observations which we cannot shrug off. Twice in recent weeks I have stated my views on the subject in small conversational groups of respectable, scholarly friends, and found that they were amazed that I should take these matters seriously. So I know that it took some courage for you to speak out."

I would like to suggest two more steps to help solve the UFO problem:

First of all the valuable data that we have accumulated--good reports from all over the world--must be computerized so that we can rapidly compare new sightings with old and trace patterns of UFO behavior.

Second, we need good photographs of UFO's. Although the Air Force has probably spent less on UFO's so far than it has on wastebaskets. I realize that it is impractical to expect the service to set up a costly "flying-saucer" surveillance system across the country. When a UFO is spotted, the terrified witness usually picks up the phone at once and calls the local police, who have missed dozens of opportunities in the past to record the phenomena on film.

I recommend that every police chief in the country make sure that at least one of his squad cars carries in its glove compartment a camera loaded with color film. The cameras, which could also be used for regular police work, might be furnished by civic or service groups. (I carry a camera in my briefcase at all times.)

Finally, I would like to emphasize my views on a controversial subject. During all of my years of association with the Air Force, I have never seen any evidence for the charge about UFO's most often leveled against the service: that there is deliberate cover-up of knowledge of space visitors to prevent the public from panicking.

The entire history of the Air Force and the UFO's can be understood only if we realize that the Pentagon has never believed that UFO's could be anything novel, and it still doesn't. The working hypothesis of the Air Force has been that the stimulus behind every UFO report (apart from out and out hoaxes and a few hallucinations) is a misidentification of a conventional object or a natural phenomenon. It is just as simple as that.

Now after a delay of 18 years, the Air Force and American science are about to try for the first time, really, to discover what, if anything we can believe about "flying saucers."

End Sat. Eve. Post article:

IN HIS OWN WORDS:

1966 North Dakota military case http://www.cohenufo.org/sepost_66_hy...#NDMissileCase

A case a few days earlier http://www.cohenufo.org/sepost_66_hy...FewDaysEarlier

Hynek can't explain all cases http://www.cohenufo.org/sepost_66_hy...CantExplainAll

He was the only scientist hired to study this for approx. twenty years http://www.cohenufo.org/sepost_66_hy...wentyYearStudy

Hynek couldn't discuss this with his colleagues http://www.cohenufo.org/sepost_66_hy...entistsLaughed

How Hynek got involved with UFOs http://www.cohenufo.org/sepost_66_hy...HowGotInvolved

USAF made up its own mind on each case http://www.cohenufo.org/sepost_66_hy...nclusionsFinal

USAF upgraded its findings in its yearly summaries http://www.cohenufo.org/sepost_66_hy...nclusionsFinal

What was Project Blue Book? http://www.cohenufo.org/sepost_66_hy...rojectBlueBook

Hynek paper was at least partially responsible for Robertson Panel http://www.cohenufo.org/sepost_66_hy...PaperRobertson

The material the Robertson Panel had to work with http://www.cohenufo.org/sepost_66_hy...PaperRobertson

Hynek's role in the Robertson Panel http://www.cohenufo.org/sepost_66_hy...kRoleRobertson

Those of us familiar with the Colorado Condon Study know what occurred back then.

Click here if you're not familiar with same: http://www.cohenufo.org/condon.html

The opinion Hynek expressed in the next to last paragraph changed somewhat with the releases of certain FOIA documents by the government in 1979 & '81.

See: Hynek quotes throughout his career. http://www.cohenufo.org/ocr.3b.html#anchor75480

To see part of the reason he changed his mind:

The 1979 FOIA governmental releases: http://www.cohenufo.org/Nsday.Art.79.html

The 1981 FOIA governmental releases: http://www.cohenufo.org/frnt.sci.81.html

THE TEHERAN 1976 CASE:

quote;
    A declassified document related to the famous Teheran UFO and jet fighter encounter in 1976.

This is a capital case, acknowleged by a US intelligence agency, where a UFO encountered an aircraft, and reacted in a superior ant intelligent manner to the aircraft's interception attempt by shutting down temporarily the aircraft's weapons system.

The DIA evaluation termed this "An outstanding report. This case is a classic which meets all the criteria necessary for a valid study of the UFO phenomenon." The analysis called the UFO performance "awesome," noting that the objects displayed "an inordinate amount of maneuverability."

REFERENCES:
    Title: DIA Defense Information Evaluation Report IR No. 6846013976
    To: Censored
    Author: Major Roland B. Evans, USAF, Military Capability Analyst.
    Date: September 22, 1976
    Length: 5 pages.
    Classification: Top secret, Declassified
    CC: None.

Report on Sighting of UFO in Iran, Sept, 1976
    A report regarding a sighting of a UFO by four witnesses in Iran
    Document date: 1976-09-19
    Department: USAF?
    Author: Not Stated
    Document type: report
    pages: 3

DRAWING BASED ON A SKETCH AND DESCRIPTION BY PIROUZI (Courtesy: Bruce Maccabee)

“Suddenly it appeared at another position one mile further on.” That is, it was slowly traveling north but suddenly it disappeared and a few seconds later appeared at a further north location. Pirouzi also said it moved southward at times. “I could see it this time as bright as a sun. It was all yellow, like a star, but much bigger. Then it appeared to me to be like a starfish. I can’t be sure of the order of the colors but there were blue, orange, red and yellow lights.

THE ABOVE DRAWINGS ARE BASED ON SKETCHES AND DESCRIPTIONS BY PIROUZI (Courtesy: Bruce Maccabee)

Pirouzi gave the binoculars to the others present and “they saw the object as a half-circle, in the same colors, blue, range, red and yellow.” The object seemed to change it’s shape. While Pirouzi over several minutes watched the apparent shape seemed to change from cylindrical, with blue ends and a red light going around the middle, to a fan like shape with drooping blades (“starfish” shaped) with fuzzy edges. The “blades” were dark orange near the hub changing to yellow at the tips.

“The hub itself was made up of two concentric areas of color. There seemed to be a large green surface and then a smaller core which glowed like a piece of red hot coal.” One of the trainee witnesses compared it to an orange-red horseshoe with a blue area in the enclosed space of the horseshoe

MAP OF TEHRAN SHOWING THE VARIOUS APPARENT LOCATIONS OF THE UFO ACCORDING TO PIROUZI (Courtesy: Bruce Maccabee)

MACH 2 IS NOT ENOUGH: THE FIRST JET CHASE;

Jafari put the “pedal to the metal” and reached a speed of about Mach 2 (1,500 mph or 25 miles per minute) and still couldn’t catch it. He was flying toward the Afghanistan, about 500 miles east of Tehran. Youssefi ordered him to return to Tehran if he couldn’t catch it, so Jafari turned and headed back eastward. The object also reversed direction and begn to chase the plane. In a short section of an audio tape recording (I presume made at the Air Traffic Control Center at Mehrabad) that was published in a local newspaper (see below), Jafari reported “something is coming at me from behind. It is 15 miles away…now ten miles…now five miles…

It is level now…I think it is going to crash into me…It has just passed me by..missing me narrowly..” According to the newspaper report, “The disturbed voice of the pilot was clear on the tape. He then asked to be guided back to base.”

According to the Air Force teletype message, based on the interview of the second pilot during the following day, the “backseater acquired a radar lock on at 27 nm, 12 o’clock high position with the VC (rate of closure) at 150 mph. As the range decreased to 25 nm the object moved away at a speed that was visible on the radar scope and stayed at 25 nm.” [Comment: to decrease the distance by 2 nm when the rate of closure is 150 nm/hr would require about 48 seconds. Apparently the VC decreased as the object sped up, meaning that the lock-on period was definitely longer than 48 seconds.] The AF teletype message further states, “The size of the (radar) return was comparable to a 707 tanker.

The visual size of the object was difficult to discern because of its intense brilliance. The light that it gave off was that of flashing strobe lights arranged in a rectangular pattern and alternating blue, green, red and orange in color. The sequence of the lights was so fast that all the colors could be seen at once.”

DRAWING BASED ON THE DESCRIPTION BY ONE OF THE PILOTS (Courtesy: Bruce Maccabee)

The pilots were interviewed the next day. The Military Assistance and Advisory Group (MAAG), in the person of Lt. Col. Mooy, sat in on the interview of the second pilot who landed at Mehrebad. (Only a second hand, and very shortened, version of the first pilot’s story was available to Col. Mooy.) This interview forms the core of the official teletype message that was sent to many USA military and intelligence agencies including the three armed services, the CIA, National Security Agency (NSA), the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) and the White House.

quote;
    "the Defense Intelligence Agency of the U. S. Government got a copy of this teletype, as did the Chief of Staff of the Air Force (CSAF), the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO), the Chief of Staff of the Army (CSA), the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), the National Security Agency (NSA), the White House, the Secretary of State (SECSTATE), the Deputy Undersecretary of Defense (DEPSECDEF) and others".

Col. Roland Evans wrote an evaluation of the report, dated October 12, 1976. Evans wrote:

1) An outstanding report: this case is a classic which meets all the criteria necessary for a valid study of UFO phenomena

a.) The object was seen by multiple witnesses from different locations (i.e., Shemiran, Mehrebad and the dry lake bed) and viewpoints (both airborne and from the ground)

b.) The credibility of many of the witnesses was high (an Air Force General, qualified aircrews and experienced tower operators)

c.) Visual sightings were confirmed by radar

d.) Similar electromagnetic effects (EME) were reported by three separate aircraft [Note: this refers to the electomagnetic interference reported by the jets and the commercial airliner]

e.) There were physiological effects on some crew members (i.e., loss of night vision due to the brightness of the object)

f.) An inordinate amount of maneuverability was displayed by the UFOs
    The report evaluation form indicated that the reliability of the information was “confirmed by other sources” and the value of the information was “High (Unique, Timely and of Major Significance).” The information would be “Potentially Useful” as “Current Intelligence.”

Full Article by Bruce Maccabee; http://brumac.8k.com/IranJetCase/

Document One

Document Two;

http://www.theparacast.com/podcast/a...hard-f-haines/

Pilot UFO reports and eyewitness testimony:

"This thing had to be going double-digit mach making turns that I didn't think were possible, breaking all the rules of physics,
    The man that visited me later told me in no uncertain terms to keep quiet. He told me I would lose my pilot's license and it would be the end of my flying days, so for 30 years I've said nothing"

Retired Air Force pilot Milton Torres discussing his F-86D Sabre fighter jet UFO incident in 1957 in which he was ordered to shoot down a UFO hovering over the British countryside.
    Air Force Times Interview, Oct 22nd, 2008.

"An object 'like an oblong pearl' drew steadily closer until perhaps a mile away when, right under my gaze as it were, it suddenly vanished. . . .But it reappeared close to where it had vanished. . . .It drew closer. I could see the dull gleam of light on nose and back. It came on, but instead of increasing in size, it diminished as it approached! When quite near, it suddenly became its own ghost. For one second I could see clear through it and the next. . .it had vanished."
    Sir Francis Chichester -June 10, 1931 ,Flying in the Gypsy Moth over the Tasman Sea.

"It is impossible for any man-made machine to make a sudden appearance in front of a jumbo jet that is flying 910 kilometers per hour and to remain in steady formation paralleling our aircraft. ... Honestly, we were simply breathtaken."
    Japan Airlines pilot Kenju Terauchi in 1986

"Headquarters wouldn't let us go after it and we played around a little bit. We got to watching how it made 90 degree turns at this high speed and everything. We knew it wasn't a missile of any type, so then we confirmed it with the radar control station, and they kept following it, and then it crashed somewhere off between Texas and the Mexico border."
    Colonel Robert Willingham, USAF from an Sworn Affidavit in the 1970's when discussing a sighting of a UFO whilst he was navigating an F94 jet on September 6th 1950.

"It appears to be a metallic object...tremendous in size, directly ahead and slightly above.I am trying to close for a better look."
    Captain Thomas Mantell, USAF,1948. Last words.

"From their maneuvers and their terrific speed I am certain their flight performance was greater than any aircraft known today".
    Colonel Carl Sanderson
    USAF, commenting on his sighting of two circular silver UFOs in close proximity to his plane over Hermanas, New Mexico. The UFOs were said to make a series of seemingly impossible maneuvers before disappearing at an astonishing speed and showing up again over El Paso, Texas.

"We had many adventures flying under primitive conditions in the frozen north, but none compared with this." "I looked back and saw something that didn't make sense," "It was nothing like flying machines of that period," "It was hexagonal, flat, and seemingly made of aluminum or some other metal, with no breaks in the surface and no rivets." "At the time, I had a spooky feeling. I can't explain it. It was as if I 'felt' the presence of whoever was inside that craft--and the feeling was hostile."
    Lieutenant Colonel Peter Grunnet-Royal Danish Air force, describing incident in H. E. 8 seaplane over Greenland,1932.

"I don't know whether this story has ever been told or not. They weren't called UFOs. They were called enemy helicopters. And they were only seen at night and they were only seen in certain places. They were seen up around the DMZ in the early summer of '68. And this resulted in quite a little battle. And in the course of this, an Australian destroyer took a hit and we never found any enemy, we only found ourselves when this had all been sorted out. And this caused some shooting there, and there was no enemy at all involved but we always reacted. Always after dark. The same thing happened up at Pleiku at the Highlands in '69."
    USAF Chief of Staff General George S. Brown
    DoD Transcript of Press Conference in Illinois (10/16/1973).

"Based on my experience in fighter tactics, it is my opinion that the object was controlled by something having visual contact with us. The power and acceleration were beyond the capability of any known U.S. aircraft".
    F-94 pilot, after encountering a UFO, 1952.

"As we approached this glow it turned to a monstrous circle of white lights on the water. Then we saw a yellow halo, small, much smaller than whatever it was launched from, about 15 miles away. As the UFO approached my plane and flew alongside it, we could see the domed craft which had a corona discharge."
    Commander Graham Bethune, U.S. Navy -sighting from military flying from Iceland to Newfoundland,February 10, 1951.

"Pilot of helicopters wished to stress fact that object was of a saucer like nature, was stationary at 2000 ft. And would be glad to be called upon to verify any statements and act as witness".
    Emergency Report from Maxwell Air Force Base on air space violation by UFO, 1954.

"It was made and flown by intelligent beings."
    Major Shiro Kubuta, of Japan's Air Self-Defence Force (I think). Kubuta and his pilot, Lt. Colonel Toshio Nakamura, were scrambled in an F-4EJ to intercept what they were told was a Soviet Bomber.Once Airborne they were informed that their target was actually a UFO which had been sighted by ground and was being tracked on radar.

When they closed upon the red, disk-like UFO, it began to manoeuvre around the plane, causing Nakamura to take evasive action.

"[Object] described as flat on top and bottom and appearing from a front view to have round edges and slightly beveled ... No vapor trails or exhaust or visible means of propulsion. Described as traveling at tremendous speed.... Pilot considered by associates to be highly reliable, of mature judgment and a creditable observer".
    Air Force intelligence report, following UFO sighting by F-51 pilot, 1951

"There was something definite in the sky...If it had proved to be hostile we would have destroyed it."
    Major Gerald Smith, USAF--One of the F-106 pilots scrambled under orders from NORAD (North American Air Defense Command) to investigate a UFO over West Palm Beach, Florida on September 14, 1972. The UFO was viewed through binoculars by the FAA supervisor, George Morales, sighted by an Eastern Airlines captain, police and several civilians, as well.

"Suddenly, the lights went out. There appeared a yellow halo on the water. It turned to an orange, to a fiery red, and then started movement toward us at a fantastic speed, turning to a bluish red around the perimeter. Due to its high speed, its direction of travel, and its size, it looked as though we were going to be engulfed.

It stopped its movement toward us and began moving along with us about 45 degrees off the bow to the right, about 100 feet or so below us and about 200 to 300 feet in front of us. It was not in a level position; it was tilted about 25 degrees.

It stayed in this position for a minute or so. It appeared to be from 200 to 300 feet in diameter, translucent or metallic, shaped like a saucer, a purple-red fiery ring around the perimeter and a frosted white glow around the entire object. The purple-red glow around the perimeter was the same type of glow you get around the commutator of an auto generator when you observe it at night.

Captain of Navy R5D aircraft,February 8,1951.
    Captain,crew members and passengers on a Navy R5D aircraft witness UFO whilst flying over the North Atlantic ocean,February 8, 1951.

"I was the pilot of the plane when we saw the UFO. Also on board were Governor Reagan and a couple of his security people. We were flying a Cessna Citation. It was maybe 9 or 10 o'clock at night. We were near Bakersfield, California when Governor Reagan and the others called my attention to a big light flying a bit behind my plane. It appeared to be several hundred yards away. It was a fairly steady light until it began to accelerate, then it appeared to elongate.

Then the light took off. It went up at a 45-degree angle-at a high rate of speed. Everyone on the plane was surprised. Governor Reagan expressed amazement. I told the others I didn't know what it was...The UFO went from a normal cruise speed to a fantastic speed instantly...If you give an airplane power it will accelerate-but not like a hot rod, and that's what this was like"
    Bull Paynter, a pilot with thousands of logged hours, in Sacremento California