Thread: Jan. 8th - Wu In Chicago at The Congress Theatre

Your fav. artist's artist fatboybrandon's Avatar

Default Jan. 8th - Wu In Chicago at The Congress Theatre

^Here's footage of GZA's performance at The Congress Theatre in Chicago back in March of 2010. The show was called "Master Of The Liquid Sword"

Allow me to demonstrate M-Dizzle's Avatar

I'll be there....

Madripoor: 1988 - small island in the southern portion of the Strait of Malacca, s/w of Singapore

Me and my wife will be there, got our tickets, smoke, 'cetra.

i've had my tickets for a while now, and i've got a few friends coming in from out of state for the show. this is my first Wu group show, so i'm fucking pumped.

Oztradamus

It's sold out

Good thing my boy got tickets through his connect

^^I saw that it sold out...so there will be a big crowd. I can't go this time but I've seen Wu a lot of times. To those that are going I hope the show rocks and enjoy Wu as it should be a dope concert.

Most definitely. I'll be there fo sho.

CORNED BEEF SAMMICH

how was the show?

Madripoor: 1988 - small island in the southern portion of the Strait of Malacca, s/w of Singapore

Show was great! Raekwon wasn't there becasue they said he had a family emergency. So no Rza and no Rae.

Rhymefest was there with some wack band as an opener.

La the Darkman played before the Wu, and as a long time La fan who likes his old stuff and his newer stuff I thought he was totally wack. A real dissapointment. And the crowd didn't seem into him either. Sound was aweful, like he was rapping over his own vocal tracks.

But the Wu were awesome once they hit the stage. Streetlife and Cappa were there. Allah Mathematics was there. Towards the end they brought out Young Dirty to do Brooklyn Zoo and he was great. I can't say I've liked anything he's done on any albums, but he's alot better mimicing his father than doing his own stuff.

Towards the end of the show some jerk in the balcony let out a fire extinguisher and half the crowd left. No one was hurt but there was an aweful smell in there and it kinda burns your eyes. Meth cursed out whoever did it and the show went on. It was great.

Yep true story. I was a little disappointed Rae wasn't there but overall the show was great. Crowd went nuts when they came out on stage doing Bring Da Ruckus. Cappa did his thing on Ice Cream and '97 mentality, the crowd went crazy. Deck seemed to have lost his voice a little but he was still rockin it. Gza & Masta Killa did their thing too. Method Man was his usual self, dude is a great performer. Streetlife was there representing. I was hoping to hear some of Ghost's classics from his solos but he did his classic verses from the Wu albums. Mathematics showed off his DJ scratching skills too.

I gotta disagree about La The Darkman. I mean even though he was rapping over his songs he was still on point. I heard him louder than the music. I'm a big La The Darkman fan ever since his 1st classic album. Dude is too ill, his flow is ridiculous. Even his new shit had me bumping my head. Its a shame he isn't wider known. It was good to see him on stage. The crowd was feeling him. I was in the middle of the stage about 10 rows back.

Heres what I remember from the set list in no particular order...

Heist of the Century
    Streetlife
    Shine
    Devil in a Blue Dress

Bring the ruckus
    Shame on a nigga
    Wu-Tang Clan ain't nothing to fuck with...
    Clan in da front
    Mystery of Chessboxin' (UGod was Ill, Masta killa's verse was too ill and he executed with a lot of heart)
    CREAM
    METHOD man

Reunited
    For heavens sake
    Its yourz
    Triumph

One Blood under W
    No Said Date (Masta Killa accapella)
    Do you really(thang, thang)

Bring the pain
    Suspect chin music(Streetlife, Method Man)
    Shimmy Shimmy ya (Boy Jones)
    Brooklyn Zoo (Boy Jones)
    Ice Cream

Liquid Swords
    Duel of the Iron Mic
    4th Chamber
    Dats Gangsta(UGod)

Meth ended the show with Da Rockwilder

Not my video but it shows how the Wu opened...
    Last edited by shogun85; 01-10-2011 at 01:28 AM.

Oztradamus

I wasn't able to get in FML

They were over capacity, and they stopped letting people in with comped tickets, which is what my connect got LOL

I was able to bullshit my way in by going to will call and convincing them that I had purchased tickets, even though my name wasn't on any list nor did I have any confirmation.

La The Darkman was wack as fuck, period. I would have preferred to see some up & coming local emcee.

I was very underwhelmed with the Wu as a whole. I've seen them quite a few times and this show was absolutely the worst. Granted, Rae is my favorite so his not being there put a huge damper on things, especially combined with Rza not touring. Thus, we were left with Meth, Ghost, Deck, Masta Killa, U-God, Gza, Streetlife and Cappadonna.

-Ghost barely rhymed and did none of his solo joints that people would have been familiar with.

-Street Life has no business being on stage with the Wu, period.

-It's sad to hear Deck's voice in 2010. Let's hope it's nothing serious like cancer.

-Cappadonna kind of saved the show for me as he was into his performance more so than anyone.

Honestly, as a lifelong Wu fan who swears by the Clan, it was sad to see them like this. They just seemd fairly unenthused, though Meth was trying. I traveled from Detroit for the show and just wasn't all that impressed as I have been in the past.