Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a little Man with the Iron Fist news

Banned

Default a little Man with the Iron Fist news

The RZA Is Now Shooting ‘The Man With the Iron Fist’

I’d love to recap the meetings that got Universal to write a check to the RZA to the tune of twenty million bucks so the music producer turned actor turned sapling green director could go to China and make a kung-fu movie. Did he fill the boardroom with mind-altering gas, a la the ’60s Batman TV series, or what?

Regardless, the RZA is now in China shooting The Man With the Iron Fist, and his producer/co-writer/advisor Eli Roth is along for the ride.
    This is the point where I’ll remind you that The Man With The Iron Fist features RZA as “the title character, a blacksmith who forges weapons for the inhabitants of a village in feudal China. They are forced to defend themselves, and before you know it, everybody is kung fu fighting.”

So, back to the shoot. On Dec 22 Eli Roth said via Twitter, “I’m in China. I feel like a Jew on Christmas…The Chinese film crew are so fast and efficient I feel like I’m watching an episode of Benny Hill.”

Then something interesting: Marco Sparmberg, a filmmaker based in Hong Kong, tweeted “Finally the bits & pieces of intel I get make sense: Tarantino shooting IRON FISTS in Shanghai right now.”

I’d take that last bit of info with a slight bit of caution, because it comes from someone that isn’t part of the production, and other reports put Tarantino in California right now. Eli Roth is helping RZA make the film, and given the previous working relationship between RZA and Tarantino on Kill Bill, and Roth and Tarantino for Grindhouse, it isn’t at all unreasonable to see the director making his way to China, at least to pay a visit to the set. But if so, that’s probably all it was. Also unconfirmed is the lingering report that Russell Crowe is part of the film. (He and RZA have worked together a couple times in recent years, on American Gangster and The Next Three Days.)

So, yeah, the RZA has unknown leading man status and his ability as a filmmaker can reasonably be called into question based on what we’ve seen from his unreleased Wu-Tang Vs. the Golden Phoenix. But which would you rather see — the realization of a passion project by a guy who has spent his entire career idolizing and reconfiguring elements of his chosen genre, or a piece of assembly line licensed bullshit like Ouija? Thankfully that’s not all we have to choose from, but even so, I’ll happily keep an eye on The Man With the Iron Fist.

Be bad ass if Rza ends up being a brilliant writer/director. Movie should be interesting for sure tho.
    Impermanence on this plane of reality/where criminality, brutality freely dwell/ Truth is a casualty in this hell/ Karma reins with divine causality, then its swell--StrangeLoveSurreal

Im picturing this flick as a feature length version of Rza's Tragedy video.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

I also look forward to Rza's feature length version of this

Rza kicks ass in this one.

Method Man

He should have a real actor starting. Rza starring is gonna kill this thing.
    Love thy neighbor

wonder if this gets worldwide cinema release, it COULD turn out a flop and go straight to dvd , hope it doesnt but never know... highly unlikely when you have roth and tarantino involved...

Unless tarrantino thinks it's cool to be involved with a straight to dvd production. I'm guessing many of his favourite films are straight to video type movies, probably roth too.

this is going to be the biggest flop in hollywood history

but i bet it'll still be a dope flick.

i'll cop it.

I’d love to recap the meetings that got Universal to write a check to the RZA to the tune of twenty million bucks so the music producer turned actor turned sapling green director could go to China and make a kung-fu movie. Did he fill the boardroom with mind-altering gas, a la the ’60s Batman TV series, or what?
    that is pretty impressive though

Quote Originally Posted by Tecknowledgist View Post
    With a budget of 20 mill I bet it won't flop.

Method Man

The Trailer looked great, i bet Rza will scrape the film industry wit this shit

Prospect

Quote Originally Posted by Tecknowledgist View Post

but i bet it'll still be a dope flick.

i'll cop it.
    u obviously know dick about hollywood! if rza pocketed the 20 mil & went in hiding, it

wouldnt even crack the top 100 studio flops all-time. 20 mill in universals world is like 20

dollars in yours.

universal exec: "i can make nice with a big hollywood director by letting his friend make a movie & if it flops i got a 2011 tax wrtite-off"

universal's thinking

Quote Originally Posted by wt36 View Post
    u obviously know dick about hollywood! if rza pocketed the 20 mil & went in hiding, it

wouldnt even crack the top 100 studio flops all-time. 20 mill in universals world is like 20

dollars in yours.

universal exec: "i can make nice with a big hollywood director by letting his friend make a movie & if it flops i got a 2011 tax wrtite-off"

universal's thinking
    lmao!

lolo

@Tecknowledgist: There is absolutely no way this is going to flop. You need to do the knowledge on Hollywood, my dude. Russell Crowe is the credited star of this picture, they are filming. There's no rumor about it. RZA is directing an Oscar winner who brings in serious box office. $20 million is a good investment on this, given RZA's knowledge of the genre, Eli Roth's ability to craft amazing screenplays (NOT MUSIC VIDEOS) and Tarantino's touch as Executive Producer. Lucy Liu is in this. It'll make millions in China are you kidding me!? Plus there's the built-in Wu-Tang audience in America, Europe and elsewhere which is not to be discounted. Flop...man you're trippin. Would love to read this script...

@Fritz: There's no trailer yet.
    Last edited by P._Rakeem_Addict; 01-08-2011 at 04:33 PM.

^Agree with everything P._Rakeem had to say I will definatly be seeing and purchasing this flim NO DOUBT!!!