Thread: Sleep paralysis

Veteran Member

Default Sleep paralysis

Anyone experienced this? If so, what do you think of it as an experience and what does it say to you about the workings of the brain?

And speaking of which, whats the quickest way you've found to wake the hell up?

Veteran Member

Default Re: Sleep paralysis

Oh, and if you don't know what I mean, sleep paralysis is the phenomena in which you wake up and can't move. What really sucks is that it feels like theres something evil paying you a visit. Very scary. Your eyes open up, but nothing else works and when you try to scream, nothing comes out.

Veteran Member

YES!

I used to get it alot when I was about .....12 to maybe 15.

It is the SCARIEST thing I have ever experienced! No joke. You think you are dead or some shit.

For me I would wake up (eyes closed) and realise I couldn't open my eyes. Then the fear and frustration starts coz you are doing what you would normally do to move your limbs, but the won't.

It would end by all of a sudden me being able to move again. I remember one time trying so fucking hard to move my head for like 5 minutes then all of a sudden THWAK into my bed head.

I have heard it associated with alien encounters.....however I didn't have any feeling of anything evil visiting me....but the feeling itself send fear through you.

I remember one of the most peculiar things though. I would get it repeating on a night. Like it would happen and I would be scared to go back to sleep coz it would always happen again. But the weird thing was if it happened once and I got up and walked around and got a drink etc...it never happened twice.

I haven't had it often since. I did have it about 2 weeks ago. That's the first time in ages and it was very short compared to before. Also it no longer scares me since I know what it is ?(scary as fuck when your a kid and never heard of anything like it). Now when I get it I am calm and kinda try and focus to gain control.

man i get that alllllll tha time i hate it, sum scary figure always comes and strangles me and tho it aint real i can feel it afterwards on my neck. I also get it and get 2 scared 2 go back 2 sleep cos i kno il get it again but its got better now its weird i can move a lil but its like i av 2 grab on 2 things 2 pull my arms up on things and they move really slow and i usually reach for the light and turn it on 2 end it.
    I aint scared of it no more cos iv had it so many times but it just pisses me off cos i cant get a decent sleep.

also i seem 2 only get it when im really worried about sumfin,depressed,or really stressed.

Veteran Member

When you get it try walking around for 10 minutes before going back to sleep. I used to be scared to go back to sleep too.

peace

sleep paralysis one of the symptoms of narcolepsy, although the primary symptom of narcolepsy is the sleep attack (an overwhelming urge to sleep that can happen at any time but most often occurs under monotonous, boring conditions).

A person can be snapped out of sleep paralysis by being touched or by hearing someone call his or her name. Sometimes, the mental components of REM sleep intrude into sleep paralysis; that is, the person dreams while lying awake, paralyzed. While I've never experienced this personally, it does sound like it can be terrifying.

Those episodes are caled hypnagogic hallucinations (hupnos=sleep, agogos=leading). Narcolepsy itself is produced b y a brain abnormality that disrupts the neural mechanisms that control various aspects of sleep and arousal. The slow wave sleep tends to get skipped, and instead peeps go directly into REM sleep from waking.

Unfortunately, the environmental factors influencing the disorder are so far unknown. However, biologically speaking, abnormalities in the hypocretin system apperar to be a factor but these findings are very new (2000s).

peace

Veteran Member

what the hell is narcolepsy?

I don't think mine was a symptom of that, also I had no sleep attacks. Oprah did a show on it. It just means your mind woke up but left your body in the state it shuts down to for sleep.

narcolepsy is a condition where u can fall asleep at any time like when your eating a meal u would just fall asleep, and i know i dont have that.

Veteran Member

Yeah, either....

peace

I wrote sleep paralysis one of the symptoms of narcolepsy. Some people are narcoleptic and ONLY suffer sleep paralysis as a symptom. Understanding that helps understand the underlying physiological processes and reasons of the paralysis.

Also, of course its possible to have sleep paralysis without being narcoleptic. This is true for ANY condition. You can have one of the symptoms sometimes without necessarily having the condition. I thought that was a given.

peace

Veteran Member

Yeah, I know what you were saying I was just stating I don't have it.

I think mine may have come from over exerting my body physically ....

peace

Oh I see, SubtleEnergies, I misunderstood. Of course, the prevalence rates for the two are different also.

I have not read of SP being correlated with physical exertion. I have read that body position can affect onset, with supine being 3-4 times more common when falling asleep. Also SP tends to occur more in people with panic disorders, and much higher in post traumatic stress syndrome for example.

Also, It is interesting to read about some of the varied spiritual associations.

peace

The simple ALWAYS effective 100% solution:

People give credit to external objects. Garlic. Covering mirrors. Etc. I can say that having a mirror in your bedroom reflecting you has a tendency to give you a less restful sleep, as outlined in feng shui.

There is an internal solution, that is applicable, which will GET YOU OUT of the sleep paralysis every single time, whether there is a negative spirit messing with you or not. It is simple, and it always works.

Concentrate on ONE finger. Any finger. I'd go with the pointer finger on your dominant hand.

Focus on it and put all of your effort into wiggling it. Don't give up. Once you wiggle that finger, wiggle your hand. Concentrate on moving your hand. Then move your arm. Wiggle your arm. Shake your arm. Move your body, and you're out.

7 Golden Vampirez Poison Flowerz!'s Avatar

Last edited by Poison Flowerz!; 10-07-2014 at 02:32 AM.

yeah this shit is wierd, i knew all about it b4 i had my first and last incident so i didnt freak out too much.

whilst sleeping your body becomes paralyzed so you dont act out your dream irl, so basicly when it happens your brain is awake but your body is still dreaming.

around the time i had it happen to me i was on the way to level 3 in lucid dreaming, in lucid dreaming you teach yourself to become aware that your dreaming and take some control over the dream - becomming more lucid whilst dreaming your start to mess with the subconscious and conscious part of sleep.

i kinda want it to happen again - its like taking acid if you havent experienced it you cant understand what its like.

some people freak out thinking they arnt breathing because they cant feel their lungs pumping.