Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stax Of Wax

nice finds Irie, cant go wrong with Earth, Wind and Fire

dope video INF, just watched it, few recognizable samples in there

funkmaster general pRoTeChTyAnEcK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Feet View Post
    nice finds Irie, cant go wrong with Earth, Wind and Fire
    Hell yeah....I been listening to EWAF since I was a wee lad.

Definitely intrigued by that Firefall joint with all those long haired dudes on the cover. J.Rocc(Beat Junkies) picked up that record for the "Secondhand Sureshots" dvd and I remember seeing it on my last trip, so I scooped it up.

Big ups to my man M.O.D. for starting this thread.....maybe it is just me, but I feel we could be more productive here if we start talking vinyl instead of just showing pics. That is all good, but I want to hear more in-depth knowledge as to what methods people use for digging, collecting or slagging off in general @ the record shop.

Just kinda throwing that out there as a suggestion.

around here there is only one really good store that i frequently go to. got everything from new to old there. plus the prices are solid, from the dollar bin records (my favourites) to brand new vinyls and everything in between.

usually i break it down into sections too. i need at least an hour or more for diggin or else i dont feel like i completed anything. but i usually hit every section if possible, or at least parts of each section.

Jazz, Soul and Hip Hop records are what i look for mostly, but then the obscure shit like orceshtral music, just random joints i know will have some gems on there. one thing that helps is vinyl artwork, that shit is bomb and if its got dope artwork imm buying it cause its gonna have some gems on it

that a bit of my process

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Feet View Post
    around here there is only one really good store that i frequently go to. got everything from new to old there. plus the prices are solid, from the dollar bin records (my favourites) to brand new vinyls and everything in between.
    Same for me mostly....I go to this spot called Pepperland. It has been around since the early 80's. Once it is gone, there are officially no real music stores in my general area. That is why I also visit thrift shops frequently as well. Goodwill, Assistence Leagues, etc. Found a Salvation Army once in Temecula that sold mad records for .50 cents

Also,
    My system for digging is quite random. I look for storybook vinyl, world music, anything with a bunch of instruments or breaks. Not really limited to any particular genre cause I like it all. That one record you buy thinking it has nothing might have a diamond somewhere among the dust and grime.
    Last edited by pRoTeChTyAnEcK; 03-27-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Goodwill is a good idea. never thought of that but imma check one out.

also as it gets nicer out more and more people clean out there places and do garage sales and shit. you can get full crates for cheap, not everything is quality but there is bound to be a few gems. at least in certain areas, some are too far for walking but it can be worth it

Your fav. artist's artist fatboybrandon's Avatar

Goodwill might be an obvious choice if you have older family who used to take you to flea markets on the weekend when you were a child.

I choose/observe the type of person selling me the records and the location. I've come across some very nice people but also some bitter or strange people when buying records. I try to get a sense of the place using those factors before I get comfortable shopping.

I like stopping at used bookstores lately or the few specialized stores left like Big City, I used to go to conventions more in the 90's, I hope to do that more this year. The last one I went to was WFMU here in Manhattan where I saw Chairman Mao, Cut Chemist and Kon of Kon & Amir.

I hope to increase my purchases using mail order because I see stores overseas that have gems, but I always like traveling and getting my fingers dusty.

I like Wax Poetics magazine for inspiration on how other people dig

Check out this blog which features photography of the homes of record collectors: http://www.dustandgrooves.com

I got a few spots I can go to.

First of all , none of my spots specialize in hip-hop and there we find a sore spot. Thankfully my favorite record store (Hogwild records) has a hip-hop bin.Its not very big of a bin but its there and then there is a small section in the used LP's section that is hip-hop as well.There was a copy of Immobilarity in there once for only like 8 or 10 bucks but it was SCRATCHED to hell and back.

I would say one tip I can pass along (its an obvious one) check all the records you buy.I even have gotten new sealed records and they had defects (beastie boys pauls boutique and Eryka Badu newest joint) I had the new ones replaced with good copies free of charge but still ...

you can always clean records good with any cleaning brush and solution. I've used that method since I was little ,cleaning up all my moms records and I still use it to this day.It doesnt cost much for the brush and solution and a lil goes a long way.I have a cleaning kit right now manufactured by RCA , it does me good. There are some records I just dont clean though cuz I like em dirty. I only have 3 like them though out off the 600 or so I have , where I keep em dirty.

Oh .... replace your needle about once a year if you listen and use the turntable everyday. 6 months if you are hard on the needle or live in a really dusty area.

back to record spots

I go to a chain here that is called 'half priced books' and they have a lot of diff shit here and there.best records to get from them is Jazz and usually they will be kinda pricey.no dollar records in my area but I heard of a city outside mine that has dollar bins in their Half priced Books stores so...

Dollar crate digging is GREAT , I do it often but I dont rely on it. I know somebody that I look up to as far as music in general goes and they dont buy anything except dollar records now. maybe its a phase. idk.

I got this one lil metal shop that is pretty dope cuz they got all kinds of rock and they have a crazy dollar bin that will have a shitload of stuff that ppl just leave cuz they come in and dont know the store is specialized in Metal .... I go to them a few times a year.

I never hit the same spots over and over, I like to give em time to restock with diff records.If I hit the spots like a fiend then I will run into the same records OVER AND OVER

another spot I have is this antiques mall. ANTIQUES stores will have GOLDMINES in them ,TRUSS.lmao

yeah I get really good shit from the antique mall and they also have dollar bins.I buy jazz records there at decent prices.

I found a spot downtown where there is an antiques mall and if you go up to the third floor there is a door aaaaalllllll the way in the back and when you go in its HEAD TO TOE RECORDS. if you watch my youtube called DALI O DALI O you will see that room at the end of the vid.ITS CRAZY. I been there once and nutted in my pants at all the stacks to go thru and couldn even put a dent in a dent. All the records there start at 8 bucks and up unless marked otherwise. I'll go there one day with like 150 and take up the WHOLE DAY digging.

ahhhhhhh I think that beats all my spots besides two lil secret ones I got. I had a few others but they got shut down over the economy not doing good or whatever.they wasnt all that anyway.

FUCK I JUST WROTE A CHAPTER OF A BOOK^^^^^^ 'DIGGING AND WHAT IT MEANS TO THE INF'

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha

I also cop records online but its been a year since I last did.

^i remember that pic you posted of one spot you found, that shit was IMMACULATE

wall to wall records, cant remember when you posted it tho or what it was called. i need to find me a spot like that

Livin room shots, then a few gems.

Last edited by BEATSMITH RESIST; 04-02-2011 at 04:40 AM.

Shit ^ !!! those look so ILL. that satan record ..... I need that shit in my life.lol

resist got joints