• mediocre

2 2.13%
  • poor

1 1.06%
  • wack

3 3.19%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Method Man - Tical 2000: Judgement Day

Skit overkill and a bit jumpy in terms of style changes for easy listening as a whole but much Wu goodness on this.

Good review Hollow btw. I like reading your reviews - don't always agree but I like them.

The Angel of MUSIC OddioPellMell's Avatar

my favorite method man cd i got a memory for every song an all time favorite
    www.myspace.com/oddiopm

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifXPx1MCafY/[YOUTUBE]

didnt really like it."Tical" wuzz much better.

I was never a huge fan of this album. But listening to it now, so many years later, I actually like it. It's way too long, and the skits are shit, Redman inspired perhaps? The beats are dark and twisted and it's something the Wu is missing from most releases these days. I had this on cassette which sucked because I couldn't skip the skits... haha

best mef album, leave out the skits (also the sequencing on this album is ass)

fav tracks : dangerous grounds, grid iron rap, suspect chin music, spazzola, party crasher, step by step, play IV keeps, elements, killin fields & shaolin what verse

career high for Streetlife as well

Left Eye's verse is like a crossword puzzle for retards

Retired.

This album probably could've been a classic if not for all the damn skits. Because it was loaded with bangers; Perfect World, Cradle Rock, Dangerous Grounds, Shaolin What, Grid Iron Rap, Spazzola, Party Crasher, Judgment Day, Torture, Sweet Love etc.
    STAY TUNED.

PRODIGAL SUN

This album was another Wu Banger. Every song was sick. 2x better than Tical part 1, although they both have very different vibes, it seemed Meth excelled over the darker backdrops of his early career. The only downfall of this album was every other track is a skit, making the tracklist look like a double album when its not. I remember T2 and Bobby Digital CDs being hyped during Forever, and both turned out to be bangers. This was a good follow-up to his debut, but I never understood the space theme Star Trek cover.

Hoping Crystal Meth goes back to this early format of dark beats.
    Fav Wu Members - Deck . GZA . Ghost
    Upcoming
    GZA/Genius – Dark Matter ; Liquid Swords II: The Return of the Shadowboxer * Inspectah Deck – Uncontrolled Substance 2 * Raekwon – The Purple Tape Files ; Only Built 4 Cuban Linx… Pt. III * Ghostface Killah x MF DOOM – DOOMStarks: Swift & Changeable * Ghostface Killah – Supreme Clientele Presents… Blue & Cream: The Wally Era * Method Man – Crystal Meth * Method Man x Redman – Blackout! 3 ; How High 2/Too High * Masta Killa – Loyalty is Royalty (9/29)

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

This dropped twenty five years ago today. I remember it was originally supposed to drop a year earlier in November 1997, but whatever the year long hold up was for, it was worth it, because this album is full of bangers besides a few weak joints.

PRODIGAL SUN

Ive been listening to this album a lot as it was the first time I bought a method man album NEW in the moment. Method Man was and sometimes still is my favorite rapper of all time. Tical blew my mind as a kid. The flows and the beats; so dark and vibey. It was like nothing at the time. I just knew Method Man was gonna do it again with T2: Judgement Day.

I remember seeing promos in the source for the album to drop. I remember Meths verse on The What in late 97 made me know this album was gonna be the shit.

I have fond memories of this album but it had glaring issues. First of all, meths style of music clashed with his personal growth as an artist, as he was a commercial favorite yet was making this dark music. I guess you could have both but in my opinion it doesnt work that way.

Due to that, tracks like Break Ups 2 Make Ups and the other Erick Sermon produced tracks stick out like a sore thumb in the middle of these dark genre bending wu tang songs. They sound uninspired and imo work better with the other Method Man collabs of the time like his work with Pete Rock & others.

I havent even talked about the skits. Lose them all. Shaolin What is labeled a skit when its clearly the original intro. I know this because it also sports a remake of “Behold The Pale Horse” author William Coopers, opening to his radio show “The Hour of The Time”. 4th was obviously a fan. Meth is also welcoming people to the album on the song so its clearly the OG intro.

Due to that I havent listened to this album in its original form in like 20 years. I wont rate that album. What happened to this album to me is all business bs behind the scenes because somehow other producers show up on meths second album to bring commercial viability in, so rza gets a piece of the method man and redman album. The beats on that album by wutang (4 in total) sounded like they were stripped right from this album. Cerial Killer, Run 4 Cover & Fire In The Hole all sound in line with the Tical 2 sound. For that reason I never listen to the album without them. its glaringly obvious to me there were too many cooks in this kitchen.

After this album, Meths solo career would take a step back for the duo with redman and Wu-Tang work. In 1999 he had a hit with Limp Bizkits N2gether Now produced by Dj Permier. That was a big song for meth that I always felt sounded like was built for this album. This was primos most rza esque beat at the time and fits the Tical vibe to the T. For that reason, I add that song as well as the previously mentioned The Worst from Onyx.

so my T2 Judgment Day goes like this. Keep in mind I am still trying to maintain the vibe of the original album but am sticking to the sound more while trying to sequence like Tical was originally.

01 Shaolin What (Produced by 4th Disciple)
    02 Perfect World (Produced by The RZA)
    03 Dangerous Ground ft Streetlife (Produced by True Master)
    04 N2Gether Now ft Limp Bizkit (Produced by DJ Premier)
    05 Sweet Love ft Cappadonna & Streetlife (Produced by True Master)
    06 Cerial Killer ft Redman (Produced by The RZA)
    07 Torture (Produced by True Master)
    08 Suspect Chin ft Streetlife (Producer by The RZA)
    09 Supa Ninjaz ft U-God & Cappadonna (Produced by True Master)
    ​10 Cradle Rock ft Left Eye (Produced by LB)
    11 Retro Godfather (Produced by The RZA)
    12 Grid Iron Rap ft Streetlife (Produced by True Master)
    13 Elements ft Star & Polite (Produced by Inspectah Deck)
    ​14 Party Crasher (Produced by The RZA)
    15 Donald Trump (skit) / Bulworth ft Prodigy, KRS One & KAM (Produced by DJ Muggs)
    16 Run 4 Cover ft Redman, Ghostface & Streetlife (Produced by The RZA)
    17 The Worst ft ONYX, Raekwon & Killah Sin (Produced by Self Service)
    18 Killin Fields (Produced by True Master)
    19 Fire In The Hole ft Redman (Produced by Mathematics)
    20 Judgement Day (Produced by 4th Disciple)

THIS album, 4.5-5 Mics no doubt. 80 Minute Banger, no doubt. Even if you took off the collabs itd still be stacked. This would be the last time meth rapped over beats like this for a long while so this makes Tical 2 special for that alone. And I love that since the album dropped and the donald trumo skit, people acting like trumps the anti christ fits well with the album theme and PERFECT with the bulworth song. That was lucky.

if this album dropped , it might be one i rste higher than supreme clientle and be the best 2nd round wu album but it wasnt to be. I reccomend people check it out this way because its a back 2 back banger.

yall should check this playlist out cuz its non stop
    Last edited by ForensikZ; 01-03-2024 at 10:45 PM.