• INF

3 37.50%
  • Stone Messiah

5 62.50%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VOTE - Stone Messiah Vs INF

aight well i got a few minutes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Feet View Post
    i went with INF both were nice but INF had more swing in the drums imo. Stones had good thump but that long pause in the beat was overwhelmingly long and took away from the flow
    i actually found myself vibing to INF's more as well mostly bc of the drums...only played it over my surround sound, no headphones
    tough sample but good beats. imo its better for yall to get hard samples, makes ya skills improve and elevate to new realms
    i know you always say this - but i gotta disagree man lol
    its just no good trying to make shit that you know isn't going to sound good. it brings down my creative drive and everything
    thats just me though

co sign Ra...using wack samples is a waste of time and DOESN'T help you at all...samples should be provided by producers only b/c cats that don't produce simply don't get it

^ I gotta call bullshit on that one.

Caught up with the sky
    Shot at God.

I agree with Sinapse, non producers will mostly provide good songs they like, but not every good song makes a great sample. Someone who's familiar with sampling knows what has potential and what is just hard work for nothing.

I think I'm pretty good at spotting sample worthy songs, so here's a few things I would suggest for providing samples to flip...

The song should have parts without drums (or just soft hats/rides) and preferably parts without vocals. Enough variation to choose from and have different sounding beats. No Billy Jeans, Knight Rider theme or Al Green shit or anything else that has been beat to death or makes you say oh you sampled this and that song.

I'd look at filmscores, 70's soul, prog, psych rare foreign music, even reggae.

Also, if you rip from vinyl, make sure you set the RPM right 'cause if it's too high or low, it's going to be hard as fucking hell to get the key right and make a bassline.
    Last edited by Professor Poopsnagle; 03-27-2011 at 01:11 PM.

I didn't mean it in a negative way, Notik, I was just saying that's my opinion based on personal experience. I started off in music as an emcee and I had a good ear for beats, people told me this all the time, but when I started making beats I had no idea what I was doing picking samples. I thought that cool song = cool sample, but that's not it at all...looking back most of my early failures as a producer were b/c I didn't understand how to sample. it took a lot of experience for me to get good at picking samps, that's all.

i can understand a lot of the view points in here, but when i go looking for a sample i dont look at a sample from a emcee stand point nor do i try to pick things that just sound good.

from talkin with a lot of the producer cats in here i think i have a good comprehension of what makes a good sample and what doesnt. if i dont then i have been lied too more then i can think of lol.

i realize that you gotta be able to snatch up a melody or chop your own from the beat, and other such things. but i dont see anything wrong with choosing a sample in which it is difficult to chop out sounds or find loops from.

when i say "its good to have a tough sample" i just mean something that can make the producer think for a second and maybe make em change up there style of beat making, it can only be a positive if you think about it.

id never pick something that me, being a uncapable producer, would never sample myself.

i try my best to find something in both realms of challenge and usable material.

Bronze there is no such thing as picking a sample "from an emcee perspective"...and all that shit you said about chopping is babble only highlighting further you don't know what you are talking about. It has nothing to do with difficulty in the chopping, some great samples are hard to chop, some really shitty samples are easy to chop. It's just about having the producer ear. You either know whether a track is gonna make for a hot beat or you don't --- and unless you have actually made beats and gotten down to the core of it then you aren't really in a position to talk. I don't think you'd want someone who doesn't really write rhymes or recording telling you bout the nuances of lyricism...you are a cool dude, always very supportive of everyone around here, so I'm not trying to argue with you - I'm just giving you some of the science of it and if others haven't then that's on them.

I don't think you'd want someone who doesn't really write rhymes or recording telling you bout the nuances of lyricism
    there called fans and it happens all the time.

and no worries man, imma just keep doin what i do in regards to samples. if they dont get used then so be it, no sweat on my brow.

i do it cause im not gonna use them, so i see no reason why not to share and learn. simply being told " i have no idea what im talking about" helps no one.

this is all quite a fascinating dialouge.

SHAOLIN STUDENT

inf if you want to go again i got the sample bronze feet put out in hq i could send it your way or whatever. just let me know

^that indian one?

i also posted a whole bunch in the sample bin, of you wanna use one of those instead

^that indian one?

i also posted a whole bunch in the sample bin, of you wanna use one of those instead

Shit I almost forgot about that. I had some flip laid out, but it needs more instrumentation. I'll post it later on, but I don't feel like spending much more time on it.

SHAOLIN STUDENT

i started making one w/ it but imma redo it timing sounds off and i've been kinda busy last few days

Quote Originally Posted by StoneMessiah View Post
    inf if you want to go again i got the sample bronze feet put out in hq i could send it your way or whatever. just let me know

yeah go head an send me that and I'll handle up