Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Horns Of Moses

Exclamation The Horns Of Moses

Moses by Michelangelo, c. 1513–1515, part of the tomb of Pope Julius II., San Pietro in Vincoli, Rome

I found some explanations, which could not convince me, but did not yet look deeper into it.
    The horns are said to be "rays of light", which can be seen on most depictions,
    and that there were misunderstandings caused by mistranslation.

Discuss

Last edited by Fatal Guillotine; 05-03-2011 at 11:33 AM.

BuddaHazeMysteryDeepSpace pro.Graveface's Avatar

yo wasnt moses the 1 with the ten commandz?
    PEACE
    Art of Graveyardpoetry
    http://www.reverbnation.com/c./a4/21...86/Artist/link
    http://www.myspace.com/mc-gravespace
    Mother Yin Father Yang are my GrandParents!
    Graveface is now Gravespace

correctomundo

but im trying to figure out why the depiction of moses with horns by michelangelo

what you think

i have a couple of educated guesses

Because Moses is just an allegory for the constellation Aries, this is why in all of the old depiction's of Moses he always has "Horns".
    When Taurus/Moses came down from Mt. Sion (Meaning Sun Mountain) and he saw the people worshipping the "Golden Calf"(Taurus) he got mad at them.
    This was all just metaphorical as during that time Taurus was waning and Aries was rising during the vernal equinox (Easter).

Moses/Aries was just the allegory for the changing of the constellation that is to be recognized.
    When "Jesus" came into the picture was when "Pisces" was rising

This is where the saying you read in the bible come from like "The Lamb of god" "Washed in the blood of the lamb" etc was when Judaism was changing from The Bull/Taurus into Aries/The Lamb.
    These are "Astrological Ages".

All of these biblical stories are allegorical and based entirely on Astrology.

The Half-Crescent Lunar Horns as the Symbol of Taurus
    Materialism and sensuality dominated the Age of Taurus(4100-2000 BC) with Egypt, Mesopotamia, Assyria, and Greece as the dominating cultures. Also known as the Bronze Age where money, wealth, and agriculture developed as well sexual and fertility rites. The cow or bull was deified and bull fights became popular. The Minoan and Crete civilazations and the legends of the Minotaur also developed during this period. The pyramids and megaliths which were built during this period still stand as testimony to the endurance and permanence of this sign. A notable event happened midway through the Age around 3100 BC which had worldwide repurcussions, possibly the capure or displacement of the planet Venus(ruler of Taurus) which then went on to terrorize and destabilize the rest of our solar system. Song, dance, art, and celebration also highlighted this age.
    Last edited by Fatal Guillotine; 06-09-2011 at 09:09 AM.

The Four Stars that Correspond to "tanit's trapezoid" are the "Four Stars" of Sagitarrius..the Archer. The Arabic word for "Archer is "Al Ram" or "The Ram". Moses and other kings of ancient Israel are portrayed with two "Rams Horns" coming from their heads...The "Ram" in English means "Archer" in Arabic.

Peace Fatal,

Interesting thread. I'd always heard that the horned moses arose from a mistranslation of the Vulgate (4th Century Latin Bible) by St. Jerome, using the word "cornuta" for horns when it was supposed to be rays of light. And that it stuck because it is easier to pick out a character in a crowd when there is a distinguishing feature, such as horns=moses, keys=peter, wooden cross/staff= john the baptist.

However, you do have an intriguing point about how so many biblical stories can be viewed as allegories connected with astrology (like solar Jesus).

I am left wondering if there are any strictly jewish depictions of Moses with horns, or if this was strictly a Christian post-vulgate depiction. (even if it was, that doesn't mean early christians weren't intentionally highlighting the astrological connections).

PEACE

PRODIGAL SUN

word on the block is the word for halo was interpreted as horns.. something like that. those horns are supposed to be halos. i had been told that in the 8th grade which was a loooooooooooong ass time ago. but that astronomical post is quite interesting

Quote Originally Posted by tostones View Post
    Peace Fatal,

Interesting thread. I'd always heard that the horned moses arose from a mistranslation of the Vulgate (4th Century Latin Bible) by St. Jerome, using the word "cornuta" for horns when it was supposed to be rays of light. And that it stuck because it is easier to pick out a character in a crowd when there is a distinguishing feature, such as horns=moses, keys=peter, wooden cross/staff= john the baptist.

However, you do have an intriguing point about how so many biblical stories can be viewed as allegories connected with astrology (like solar Jesus).

I am left wondering if there are any strictly jewish depictions of Moses with horns, or if this was strictly a Christian post-vulgate depiction. (even if it was, that doesn't mean early christians weren't intentionally highlighting the astrological connections).

PEACE
    exactly

The statue depicts Moses with horns on his head. This is believed to be because of the mistranslation of Exodus 34:29-35 by St Jerome. Moses is actually described as having "rays of the skin of his face", which Jerome in the Vulgate had translated as "horns"

The mistake in translation is possible because the word "karan" in the Hebrew language can mean either "radiated (light)" or "grew horns"

"rays of the skin of his face" i take it to mean it was illuminated

However imo Exodus 34:35 doesn't make sense that he would cover his face if he had horns but it does make sense for him to cover his face if his face was radiating light.

Only one Hebrew scholar translated this as 'horns' and Jerome copied him

The Septuagint, the Targums, and the Peshitta, however, translate in terms of luminous facial splendor. Were they right in doing so, and are the majority of scholars right in following suit? The verb in Hebrew is קרן, a denominative from קרן ‘horn,’ and yes, Greek κέρας and Latin cornu are cognates. The verb occurs in the qal stem nowhere else; it occurs once in the hiphil, and means ‘grow horns’ in that instance.

I side with the majority - though the majority, of course, is not always right. The reason: Hab 3:4, in which the parallelism suggests that קרנים refers to ‘rays’ of light. Based on that usage of the noun, I would suggest that the verb קרן in the qal stem means, in Exodus 34:29, 30, 35 ‘the skin of his face let out rays .

i think it something a tad bit deeper
    Last edited by Fatal Guillotine; 05-04-2011 at 10:01 AM.

BuddaHazeMysteryDeepSpace pro.Graveface's Avatar

yo some1 told me last night that it was a mis-interpertation of a word in a scripture of a monk round the 6th century. jus red the other commentz supposed to the 4th ayaay, also it has to do with all the duality that came with the commandz and jesus came to heal that or sumthin like that
    Last edited by pro.Graveface; 05-04-2011 at 12:18 PM.
    Art of Graveyardpoetry
    http://www.reverbnation.com/c./a4/21...86/Artist/link
    http://www.myspace.com/mc-gravespace
    Mother Yin Father Yang are my GrandParents!
    Graveface is now Gravespace

In Hebrew, the incident is known as ḥēṭ’ ha‘ēggel (חֵטְא הַעֵגֶּל) or "The Sin of the Calf". It is first mentioned in Exodus 32:4. Bull worship was common in many cultures.

In Egypt, whence according to the Exodus narrative the Hebrews had recently come, the Apis Bull and the bull-headed Khnum were comparable objects of worship, which some believe the Hebrews were reviving in the wilderness;[citation needed] alternatively, some believe the God of Israel was associated with or pictured as a calf/bull deity through the process of religious assimilation and syncretism.

Among the Egyptians' and Hebrews' neighbors in the Ancient Near East and in the Aegean, the Aurochs, the wild bull, was widely worshipped, often as the Lunar Bull and as the creature of El. Its Minoan manifestation survived as the Cretan Bull of Greek myth. In India, Nandi (a bull) is said to be the vehicle of Lord Shiva and is therefore sacred to many Hindus. Among the Egyptians, Hathor was represented as a holy cow,and represented as well the Milky Way, and is usually identified with its neighbors counterpart goddess of El, Asherah.

The Hebrews tribes developed among these peoples and pantheons, so it's not strange to assume may have been a shared legacy still slowly falling off cult and which encountered strong opposition once the cult of the Single God took more power.

Moses was said to be clearly against bull worship, though
    Last edited by Fatal Guillotine; 05-05-2011 at 12:55 PM.

For the record, they're Goat Horns not Bull Horns. Its a solar deity symbol not a lunar symbol. Moses face burned with fire when he came down from the mount, he had to shroud his head beneath veils to not blind people, and he stayed in his tent mostly, talking directly to God. Moses is a Shepherd, he represents the God Apollon in his guise as the Two Horned God.

Here is a depiction of Alexander the Great as Apollon.

Here is Pan, Apollon's nephew. Family resemblances... What's interesting is that Hermes (Pan's Father) is called "The Good Shepherd."

It's all silly pagan symbolism.
    HANKERING FOR SOME BEEF CURTAINS