Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Bronze's Special Herbs Dispensery

just made this one, fresh out the ovens

http://www.box.net/shared/nxkxi6kcdo

had to fix something
    Last edited by THE MASON; 05-11-2011 at 06:19 PM.

It's crazy how much you improved in one week. Things I didn't like...

boomy kick sounds too bassy
    hats sound too quantised
    the stereo effect was too wide for my taste

thanks man, i had to fix something, i misplaced a kick drum in there.

but i feel you on all those aspects, but like you said its only been a week. so im sure i can improve on those mixing issues and what not as time goes by.

and ya, i hate hihats lol so itll take me some time to improve those

Mixing should be the last of your concerns, especially when you keep it simple. See, the sample is already mixed down to perfection in the studio, your drums (probably) come from songs that have been mastered professionally too. So when you put the two together, the only thing you should have to change are the volumes to match eachother.

Maybe you could push the 80/120 hz freqencies of the kick drum a little to give it more thumb and give the whole drums mix some light compression for a more hip hop sound, but beside that, don't do too much mixing.

As for bass, don't make your own basslines unless you know what you're doing. And if you do them anyway, do them one or two octaves higher at first, so you can hear more clearly if they're in key. Then move them down again if they're right. If you're out of key, you ruined your whole shit and you best go with just upping the 40-80 hz range of your sample.

word, thanks for the advice.

you dont pan your shit at all? just wondering cause thats how it was always explained to me, i think Ra pointed it out too, that you gotta keep the centre free so to speak for vocals.

but ya as far as the mix goes, i dont got proper equipment for it, so i kinda just wing it, which sucks but its about all i can do. imma try what you said for the kicks tho and see whats up

I do most of my mixing on earbuds, they're pretty good, but not ideal. The panning for vocals is seldomly needed. Professional engineers have already done that for you. Of course sampled hip hop songs get mastered, but that's mostly to get the drums to knock and make the vocals up front. When you're just making beats, don't do too much shit to your samples, effect wise. Let the guy who is gonna master your beat with the rappers verses worry about all that shit. They have the proper hardware and monitors to do that.

Here's my mixter set up:

1 master bus with limiter
    2 bass vst bus with compressor
    3 drum bus with parallel compressor, EQ and reverb plate
    4 sample bus, no filters, no effects
    5 synth bus, EQ plus reverb

That's all I do and I think my sound is mixed down properly. Of course it's not studio quality, but I don't have the hardware for that and I'll leave that to the pro's..... if I ever sell a beat that is.

earbuds eh? ya i dont ever have a problem with the way your shit is mixed down. ill have to try that.

FYI i dont use effects on the sample, maybe some compression and i have my reasons, that is something i am working on. it was a tip passed through the pipeline to me. but ya other then that, samples are effect free.

still appreciate the help you given Jasper, partly the reason for the rapid improvements. FL is a deadly dance lol

I think the key of getting a good basic mix is to listen on more formats, like on your phone, your laptop, your stereo, headphones, in the car etc. Hear how it sounds outside of your set up, how your mix might come across on other peoples music systems. The other part is just not to do much, that probably only applies to sampled beats. Most of the mixing I do goes into the drums, I like them to match the sample I'm working with. It's a hit and miss though. A few pages back I uploaded a zip with a whole bunch of good drums, they don't need much EQ'ing, maybe some slight compression. You should try them if you're not already using them. Theres some crazy kicks in there.

Anyway, keep improving and just get a basic work flow so you can concentrate more on the making music part than on the tweaking shit to sound good part.

Also, learn keys, get one of those midi keyboards. I have a really small one with 25 keys and ever since I learned my majors and minors, I feel content about my beats. I have much more joy in making beats since I know what I'm doing.

ye i downloaded those drums, and i have been using them on the last few beats i posted.

i had a equalizer on the master, but i was just messing around and forgot to take it off when i posted the beat. oh well, live n learn. sounds better without it tho imo

Those drums are all over the place but i reccomend u snatch up some drum kits hella fast, and look into vst's, namely the fruity compressor for ur drums to give em that extra umph

Peeped ya latest post too, fix the sample balance and u got somethin official here

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Feet View Post
    just made this one, fresh out the ovens

http://www.box.net/shared/nxkxi6kcdo

had to fix something
    not really feelin that bass kick. but u should filter out the bass from the sample for your bassline. what I do is, I clone the sample then I filter out the bass. change the "Fast LP" to SVF LP X 2. u gotta mess with the knob to hit the right frequency

Uploaded with ImageShack.us