Thread: Greatest Book on Vietnam

Default Greatest Book on Vietnam

this is probably it. for those who like to read true accounts about wars, this is one, if not, the most vivid accounts i have ever read. its all a bunch of short stories from soldiers, nurses and so on. goes from registering to the Marines and Army to the return home and everything inbetween.

buy it, download it, steal it....... but i really recommend reading it

º
    Last edited by NIKLZ; 07-18-2012 at 03:44 PM.

YES. excerpt..

Reading Mark Baker's NAM in anticipation of ERFC and for procrastination purposes. "Going out on ambush one night, it rained so hard, I started to choke. I couldn't even breathe. I bent over to create an airpocket under my chest. In that moment, it was filled with mosquitoes" (pp. 115). "You know how you stop the shits? You eat peanut butter in the C-rations. You wouldn't shit again until you had the grape juice. Drink the grape juice, you shit your brains out. Between the grape juice and the peanut butter, you were regular" (106). And the most amazing story for me; this helicopter squadron gets called out to fly a mission, but its monsoon season and they can't take off until the rain lets up. The door gunner on one of the ships who just wanted to wait out the rain inside sees water dripping on his guns. When he bends over to move them "lightning struck the helicopter behind us, charging the ship. The rockets in the helicopter were fired electrically, so seven rockets were set off. Coming out of the tubes the fins of six of them opened. They hit eachother and knocked around all over the place at random. One rocket went straight forwared and entered the tail boom of my helicopter. It came tearing through the transmission and through the fire wall of the cabin. Had I not been leaning forward it would have torn through the left side of my chest and ripped my let arm off. As it was, it passed over my shoulder" (224).

Tunnel Rats 25th INFANTRY.. Moose...

E-R-F-C ..
    DOWNLOADALBUMZ!

I BELIEvE ALOT OF YOU ARE MISSING OUT ON THIS GEM... ORDER FROM EBAY.. GOTO YOUR LOCAL BODEGA WHERE THEY SELL USED BOOKS... FLY TO NAM AND STEP ON A BOUNCING BETTIE i DONT CARE WHAT JUS READ THIS SHIT
    DOWNLOADALBUMZ!

The Father of All Things by Tom Bissell is pretty good too. It's about a marine, who faught in the war and his son (the writer of the book, in his 30's or so) who take a trip back to Vietnam, where the father hasn't been since the war. They travel to some of the places where he faught to see the landscape and people in a different time.
    Last edited by tajeco; 12-13-2012 at 12:06 AM.

"This is my book, take a look, see if it grabs your attention, with a hook, the queen took the rook, into a new dimension" Tajeco

I'm looking for Nam on amazon now, looks like some good deals on there for it.

"This is my book, take a look, see if it grabs your attention, with a hook, the queen took the rook, into a new dimension" Tajeco

http://www.amazon.com/The-Forever-Wa.../dp/0312536631

"Perhaps the most important war novel written since Vietnam . . . Haldeman, a veteran, is a flat-out visionary . . . and protagonist William Mandella's attempt to survive and remain human in the face of an absurd almost endless war is harrowing hilarious heartbreaking and true . . . like all the best works of literature THE FOREVER WAR takes you apart and then, before you can turn that last page, puts you back together: better, wiser, more human. Simply extraordinary."
    --Junot Diaz, Pulitzer Prize winning author of The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

"The Forever War is not just a great Science Fiction novel, it's a great Vietnam war novel - and a great war novel, without qualification- that is also Science Fiction. A classic to grace either genre."
    --Iain M. Banks, author of Use of Weapons, The Player of Games, Matter

It's in sci-fi context, but about his own experiences in Nam. One of the best books ever. Absolutely chilling classic.
    Ain’t nobody hardcorer than me - U-God

Quote Originally Posted by gamefacekillah View Post
    12 reasons fukkin miders keynote soeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
    Rofl at cilva not being considered a killa bee.

RZAs going to take away his wu badge and gun.

i read this book once, what was your favourite page?

Quote Originally Posted by More Meds View Post
    i read this book once, what was your favourite page?

AWKWARD.
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by 5th state View Post

AWKWARD.

Protect ya neck, son!

^^

It's safe to say he's coming for you first.

Now Vietnam yourself out of the building.
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by 5th state View Post
    ^^

it's safe to say he's coming for you first.

Now vietnam yourself out of the building.
    i'm worried that little jerks liek you with no purpose will cause god to give-up on planet earth and desert us and every demonic force and catastrophe turn the planet into some sort of waste land

big fuck yuo

this thread took an odd turn.. but whatever

I went back and read a few stories out of this book. they are truly captivating. some are twisted, like one I read about how everyone played "doctor" and cut open dead bodies just to see what the insides look like. or the nurses who used morphine to just get fucked up and forget what they saw