Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How is there not a "MONUMENTAL" thread yet??!!!

Default How is there not a "MONUMENTAL" thread yet??!!!

i've been banging this album front-to-back the last three-four days at least once a day and i'm loving it. Pete Rock came through on the production once again, it's not "Mecca & Soul Brother" of course but it's just as good as "NY's Finest" (whcih was easily a solid 4/5). the best tracks on here are some of the years finest and it's without a question Smif-N-Wessun's best album since their debut.

the guests are incredible and i fucking love that Pete is going nuts with the scratches again which is a huge positive (remember around SSII he completely had stopped fucking with cuts). another thing that blew my mind was to hear Pete Rock chop and sample "The Mexican" by Babe Ruth, a classic spanish rock-type joint from the '70s that i always LOVED.

i don't have time to write much right now but i'll do a full review eventually. i'm picking this up tomorrow for sure and y'all should do the same.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Yeah this shit is fire, I've had it on heavy rotation for the last two days. Oh yeah and your right, Pete really went in on this one

i didn't know this was out, i'll have to get this asap

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    (remember around SSII he completely had stopped fucking with cuts
    "head rush"?

Must check this album out, ive read bad reviews in most places ive seen it being reviewed, but if people are liking it on this forum then its worth checking.

Always loved that Babe Ruth "The Mexican" as a sample too, i dont know if any ever heard that album by The Prodigy (not Mobb Deep's Prodigy) where Liam Howlett mixed a load of his favourite tracks together (mainly old school hip-hop), but he had "The Mexican" mixed in there and it sounded dope as fuck.

Banned

im gettin real sick of these fuckin net babies hatin on MPC pete rock...

i notice thats popular to do now...

"pete was one of the GOATS... but ever since he switched to the MPC though he..."

he what?!!?!?!?

started dropping HARDER beats?!?!?!?!!?

cuz thats what happened...

still got the horns...
    still got the heavy drums...
    still got the cuts...

i guess its gonna be a problem if his shit doesnt sound like the main ingredient everytime out.... i think alot of the criticism is coming from soundclick producers that think their shits hot, and people that discovered petes work through j dilla....

pete gets shit on for updating his shit without ditching his signatures... RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

i gotta spend more time with this album...

BUT ITS A BANGER!!!!!!!!!

dont sleep on the awakening... the name switch fucked niggas up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this is an album that has to grow on you.
    It took me months before I finally liked prevail.

Your fav. artist's artist fatboybrandon's Avatar

Both Phila Flava and Okayplaya forums didn't like the album too much which worries me:

Okayplayer.com Boards topic #2563211 - "gatdamn that pete rock and smif n wessun is so wack!!!!"

I have faith in Pete, Tek & Steele and will listen to the whole album myself this week.

Veteran Member

"still got the heavy drums..."

Def not, the SP1200 has always had grittier heavier sounding drums then the clean sounding MPC ones. You think "Live & Learn" has heavy drums? "A-Yo"? "Boston To Buckdown"? "Gimme One"? the first beat to "Prevail"? "Top Of The World" or "Stand Up Guy"? Theres a clear definition of drum work between both machines & the way Pete utilizes them. But I agree with claaa7, theres some tracks that sound like SP beats just like NYs Finest

didnt even know it was out,might have to check that out

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fatboybrandon View Post
    Both Phila Flava and Okayplaya forums didn't like the album too much which worries me:

Okayplayer.com Boards topic #2563211 - "gatdamn that pete rock and smif n wessun is so wack!!!!"

I have faith in Pete, Tek & Steele and will listen to the whole album myself this week.
    LOL @ okayplayer

home of the worst fans in rap, since the internet became a player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

85% of okayplayer pete rock fans = dick ride j dilla after he died, they became pete rock fans after learning pete rock was dillas favorite producer

you see whats popular, you see the albums dropping...

and niggas are gonna sit around flaming THIS album!??!!?!?!?!?

shows just how ass backwards shit is now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LISTEN...

WHAT I EXPECT FROM A PETE ROCK ALBUM....

HOT BEATS!!!!!!!!!

thats it... pure and simple...

you got these arm chair purists, that wont accept anything that doesnt sound like 94 prime soul brotha....

ARE THE SAMPLES WACK!?!?!?!?

ARE THE DRUMS WACK?!!?!?!?!?!

ARE THE SCRATCHES OFF!?!?!?!?!?

NO!?!?!?!?!?!

THE FUCK YOU BITCHING FOR!?!?!?!?!?!?

these beats are hot...

hot samples, hot flips, hot beats...

the way niggas talk, youd think pete was just hitting copy paste on old drum patterns, to the same tempo beats over and over again on fruity loops...

the SAME niggas shittin on pete, probably check for LEX LUGER records...

or think some inferior famed internet producer, is FAR MORE ADVANCED...

EARS ARE FUCKED UP IN 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

remember, HOUSE MUSIC can pass for HIP HOP in 2011...

samples, scratches, REAL HIP HOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahahhahahahhahaha

Your fav. artist's artist fatboybrandon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by angry! View Post
    niggas are gonna sit around flaming THIS album!??!!?!?!?!?
    haha, yeah I hear you. I'm fully aware some people on OKP and other boards have a tendency to pick apart albums too much sometimes to the point they frustrate themselves and eventually end up shitting on it. Like I said I'll listen to it myself and make up my own mind this week.

For my New Yorkers, there's an event for Monumental tomorrow if you wanna here the album in the flesh with Pete, Tek & Steele and others in the building.

WHAT: Smif N Wessun + Pete Rock: Monumental Experience Party
    WHERE: Tammany Hall / 152 Orchard St. btwn Rivington + Stanton St., NYC
    WHEN: Tuesday June 28th, 2011 @7PM
    HOW: Free Admission (RSVP: [email protected])

http://www.egotripland.com/reminder-...omorrow-night/

lovin this joint right here

definitely goin out to cop that shit tomorrow. even if i am broke as fuck, but i got my record shop ordering it in for me

Pete never lost a step, i dont care about this SP vs MPC shit. both have the sound i wanna hear, and in the hands of a master and legend like the Chocolate Boy Wonder, i dont give to fucks

this shit bangs out, cant wait to cop the official product and go in deep with Tek n Steele

Poet Of The Streets

This is a Smif-N-Wessun album fully produced by Pete Rock..... WHO THE FUK IS DISSIN THIS. Roses is DISGUSTING, La ilaha illa Allah to all my muslim brothers.

Pete Rock Soul Brother #1 no doubt.

Veteran Member

/\ One of the best tracks on the album IMO, that one really stands out, Ive been anticipating that track since I heard the vocal sample at the end of the trailer for Monumental. Shame Freeway only does chorus work though