Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trip-Hop thread

Peace to the god(zilla) LuckyTheWonderDog's Avatar

Default Trip-Hop thread

Ok, I know most of the artists concerned hate the term trip-hop, but it's the easiest way for everyone to know what this thread is about.

The return of Portishead inspired me to start this and get some talk on great trip-hop records.

Some favourites of mine are:

I will add some less obvious artists in a bit.

Click HERE for free mp3 compilations (inc. rare tracks) from:

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

What are other good tricky records?

The only other two I really like are Nearly God and Pre-Millenium Tension.

None of the others ever really lived up to his first three in my opinion.

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

Props for this thread.

Hmm, the word on the streets is that Trip-Hop is coming back fast and strong. I hope that's true!

Martina Topley-Bird : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izbN6yGFa4Q

^^ Yeah, I searched and couldn't believe there didn't seem to be one.

I posted a list fo trip-hop artists worth checking out in some other thread and I can't find it. Can't be bothered to list them again. Will have another look.

props on this thread.

portishead will always be a classic trip-hop group to me. ive been into em for years.

free the robots
    science fiction
    mr. oizio (some tracks)
    clark

anyone into the gaslamp killer?
    (trip-hop dj)

Oh yeah, forgot to give a shout to Bristol UK. The originators of this shit, haha.

yes the term Trip Hop is pretty lame, but i can see the need to differentiate it from hip hop i guess.

unfortunately, i dont know whether RJd2, DJ Shadow etc. are Trip Hop, anyway ill post my favourite albums, and some tracks maybe.

because i listen to more instrumental hip hop music now than regular stuff really.

Guts - Le Bienheureux

Hes french and wears pajamas and a stocking on his head, thats all i know about him. But he makes dope music, a lot of samples on the album will be recognisable to avid hip hop fans.

Guts - Skunkfunk - http://www.divshare.com/download/4086660-66e

Guts - Metis - http://www.divshare.com/download/4086661-107

Aim - Cold Water Music

Not strictly trip hop, but it does contain trip hop elements amongst the regular hip hop. Anyway, its my favourite album by him, for more straightforward instrumental music check out his album Flight 602. First track is straight up hip hop, but i had it uploaded to i figured id post it anyway. Also recommended - Flight 602 & Hinterland

Aim - Ain't Got Time To Waste Ft Yz - http://www.divshare.com/download/3078586-44e

Aim - Cold Water Music - http://www.divshare.com/download/3078696-71a

Aim - Aim - Birchwood Live at Big Chill 2006:

DJ Shadow - Private Press

Im assuming here that most people have either heard or heard of Shadows first album Endtroducing... so wont bother with that (but its an essential if you havent heard it). This is his second album, and to me its almost as good as his first, athough there is a little bit of filler. However the strong tracks like Fixed Income, Giving Up the Ghost, You Can't Go Home Again and especially Blood on the Motorway bring it up to the level of greatness. It maybe doesnt have the exact same atmosphere as the first album, but is as a result more diverse in my opinion.

DJ Shadow - Blood on the Motorway - http://www.zshare.net/download/9432358be34997/

DJ Shadow - Fixed Income - http://www.zshare.net/download/9431839a26632c/

Nightmares on Wax - Carboot Soul

Great album which i picked up for $10 after reading a semi positive review on a website. Has a very relaxed sound, fairly varied sound and a good flow. Recomended also - Smoker's Delight.

Nightmares on Wax - Finer - http://www.zshare.net/download/94338540010b8d/

Nightmares on Wax - Les Nuits:

RJD2 - Deadringer

Again, not sure if this fits into the genre, but its similar in a way to DJ Shadow, so i guess it does. One of the only others albums in this category which can compare with Shadow's Endtroducing.... RJ creates some of the best and varied beats ive ever heard, and this album is him at his best. Downsides are limited to the piercingly irritating verse from Jakki on F.H.H. and possibly Blueprint on Final Frontier (although this fits much better). Luckily RJ relesed instrumentals to these two tracks on The Horror, which solves the problem. Also recomended - Since We Last Spoke and The Horror. Do not under any circumstances bother listening to The Third Hand , you'll want a third hand to cover your third ear.

RJD2 - Smoke & Mirrors - http://www.zshare.net/download/94361157bd8b9a/

RJD2 - Silverfox - http://www.zshare.net/download/9436136875a59c/

Live at the Beta Lounge:

UNKLE - Psyence Fiction

The first and only album where Shadow and Lavelle worked in tandem for the entirety, and it shows when compared to UNKLE's later work (which isnt all together bad). They tried some weird shit on this album, but for me it works well, although the album tends to drag towards the end but finishes strongly with Rabbit In Your Headlights, the clip to which is interesting. The Knock seems totally out of place to me, but it isnt too detrimental.

UNKLE - Unreal - http://www.zshare.net/download/9436525b99fca8/

UNKLE - Rabbit In Your Headlights:

Further recommendations include Dj Krush (Kakusei) and Coldcut (Sound Mirrors and a selection of their other good material). Wagon Christ (aka Luke Vibert) has a decent album called Sorry I Make You Lush but its not really on the same level as the other stuff and is pretty nerdy (maybe why it appeals to me), but still an enjoyable listen. Heres a taste:

Wagon Christ - Shadows -

Other artists already mentioned which i dig are Portishead (although i cant stand their self titled album), Tricky (took a while to get into), Massive Attack and

One of the greatest pieces of music ive seen live was Jose Gonzales performing Massive Attacks Tear Drop. did a fucking awesome job.

Let me know if there are any problems with links etc, or if anyone want more info/more music just ask. Divshare began being a crack whore half way through uploading some stuff, so im not sure if all links will be working.

If anyone would like to obtain the entire album, and has difficulties doing so legally, please do not hesitate to sendsomeone who is notme a pm.
    Last edited by rainbow; 03-24-2008 at 07:41 AM.

major props ^^^^

This is siiiiick Trip-Hop but i have no idea what the name of the artist nor song is. Anyone help me out??

Wu Vatican

can anyone really give me a definition of trip-hop?

ive heard the term tossed around, and i always thought it was like rappers over techno-ish beats.

but i know about massive attack and portishead ect. and i dont think that really fits into the box of what i thought trip hop was.

and also than is there a name for rap over techno beats? there is a really good krs-1 song that he does over techno, which i cant think of the name. there is a good method man song over some techno, also cant think of the name. most of the blade 2 soundtrack is also the same stuff. which i actually really like.

sooo anyone help me out with these questions? thanks bros.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

I wouldn't call it techno. Trip-hop is a big mixture of genres, mostly hiphop, pschyo rock and .... i can't define it.... but it certainly ain't hasn't got anthing to do with techno beats

i dont know, Trip Hop is supposedly a Bristol thing, and its loosely females vocals over atmospheric, downt tempo hip hop style beats.

Although people like DJ Shadow and UNKLE dont really fit that mold particularly but, especially Shadow was heavily involved in the formation and popularization of it.

Even the term Trip Hop was first used to describe a DJ Shadow track.

Wikipedia has an ok article on it, with some artists and the like, but you look at the list of artists they have, and you can see how broad the category is.