Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weeknd

Default The Weeknd

Surprised there wasn't a thread for this. So this guy had one of the most original and pretty much dopest R&B album in years. Crazy instrumentals and songwriting skills. Lyrics focussing on the vanity and horror of relationships of all forms. Hes got 2 more tapes set to drop before the end of the year.

For those that didn't hear his free "mixtape". Its an album, obviously its an album, how is a mixtape gonna be one of the best R&B albums of the last 15 years? Well heres a link:

http://www.datpiff.com/The-Weeknd-Ho...pe.211140.html

Most original? Yeah, i don't know, you have to give Drake some credit (not that i'd want to, given how much of a cornball he is) for the proliferation of "post rnb" or whatever lame moniker anyone wants to attribute to it.

I liked the album, probably more the first few times i listened to it than now though. The main thing that stood out to me were the beats, the samples used work well. I don't think his voice is particularly great, it's decent though.

Track i liked the most:

There are a bunch of good remixes of tracks also, you should be able to find them collected somewhere on the internet ( http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N88ST9PJ ).

Oh yeah, and if you like this kind of thing, this blog posts all of it:

http://indiernb.tumblr.com/

Generally i think most of it is pretty average, there are a few gems though.

Quote Originally Posted by bateman. View Post
    [COLOR=palegreen]Most original? Yeah, i don't know, you have to give Drake some credit (not that i'd want to, given how much of a cornball he is) for the proliferation of "post rnb" or whatever lame moniker anyone wants to attribute to it.

I liked the album, probably more the first few times i listened to it than now though. The main thing that stood out to me were the beats, the samples used work well. I don't think his voice is particularly great, it's decent though.
    Ima check out them remixes. Heres The Weeknd doing Drakes 'Trust Issues'. Its pretty crazy: http://hulkshare.com/lbzckax6blb9

Yeah Drakes album probably had a knock on effect in terms of production style, vocal effects etc but I think this guys songwriting style is a lot different.

For me Drakes album was one of the best of 2010, you mean hes a cornball in terms of talking about his feelings etc? I can see that but I think it takes a lot more guts to bare your soul on record like that than just talk about your rap skills or drugs etc.

Yeah I agree with you about The Weeknd using samples, you don't hear a lot of that in R&B, certainly not the same style. Also the lyrics are a lot more vivid and realistic than average R&B which is lovey dovey crap. Not that I don't like that too sometimes, but its refreshing to hear a dude like this.

For me the albums an instant classic, and bearing in mind dudes only 21 I think if you only thought this album was decent this guys gonna be one to watch.

I don't mean he's a cornball in that sense. I'm open to pretty much any subject material, i just dislike his delivery. I just find some of his tracks cringe worthy, i can't really put my finger on why.

I wouldn't care that Drake is an effeminate attention whore if it didn't come through in his music, but unfortunately he always sounds like he's trying too hard to make music that doesn't suit him.

I haven't listened to much Drake though, i should probably check out his album. I appreciate that he has had a lot of influence on the direction pop and electronic music is moving in (more in popularising it than originating it).

You're right though, The Weeknd's music so far is encouraging. I'll definitely be checking out his tracks. I just think House of Balloons had a few good tracks and the rest was pretty mediocre. But it's a free mixtape/album, so i never really expected more.

Its been a few weeks since I first heard this guy's stuff. So dope songs on that "mixtape", this is my favorite song:

Ozmosis X Big Pun: The Punisher

[+]Facebook [+]Bandcamp [+]SoundCloud [+]Tumblr

Semi related...

ya, pretty interesting stuff

this is where i thought frank ocean would go as far as musical direction

I think i prefer Frank Ocean's voice, but his beats and subject matter are usually pretty boring.

Yea this that Chris Isaac influence for sure. Met him in the dot. He's fire he gonna blow up.
    Break fast is served

Quote Originally Posted by bateman. View Post
    I think i prefer Frank Ocean's voice, but his beats and subject matter are usually pretty boring.
    I get the impression that Frank Oceans saving his best stuff for his album though. Not that 'nostalgia/ultra' wasn't dope, it just felt like he was playing around. It was definitely a mixtape, especially by comparison with 'House Of Balloons' just the whole style/format is different. Oceans writing stuff for Beyonce, Jay-Z, Bieber now which is crazy. Those artists are like the polar opposite of OF.

Weeknds follow up 'Thursday' is probably gonna drop in the next few months. I can't wait.