Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weeknd

The Party & the After Party = boss

I honestly thought all the tracks were incredible, I couldn't really pick a fave, but maybe thats in the top half. Actually 'What You Need', the sound of it is just ill literally and figuratively. It sounds like a fuzzy brain.

Imo, The Weeknd is a bit overrated, he's dope but it's like, people jumped on the bandwagon to hail him and hype him and the album/mixtape up. The first time I heard the mixtape I was blown away because it was just so different and the sound was something I had been searching for but lately I don't like it as much, I mostly skip the songs when they come up on my iPhone or on iTunes. My favorite song was definetly What You Need though, it was super dope.

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
    I get the impression that Frank Oceans saving his best stuff for his album though. Not that 'nostalgia/ultra' wasn't dope, it just felt like he was playing around. It was definitely a mixtape, especially by comparison with 'House Of Balloons' just the whole style/format is different. Oceans writing stuff for Beyonce, Jay-Z, Bieber now which is crazy. Those artists are like the polar opposite of OF.

Weeknds follow up 'Thursday' is probably gonna drop in the next few months. I can't wait.
    Um, Nostalgia/Ultra WAS Frank Ocean's album, he released it for free because Island Def Jam refused to release it so he put it out for free.

huh... I know Def Jam is releasing it now but it still feels like a mixtape to me. I think the way the beats are hooked up almost like wholesale beatjacking. Still dope though.

I give em both props for writing genuinely and not hiding behind tried and tested formulas, like 'Loft Music' is catchy as fuck even without a chorus. We needed some more different R&B. Theres nowhere near enough balance in the genre.

i find myself only really listening to like 2 songs now

it's ok...not really that special, sounds like some of the 2-step or whatever that was coming out of the UK, some of the sampling and beat structure or whatever is really sloppy, in a way that doesn't work and that I find off-putting. I downloaded, listened to it a few times, nothing I would really listen to on a consistent basis.

^try fuckin to it, or seducin to it, why listen to that shit alone smfh. that video for "Wicked Games" is on some real shit once u get money like that...
    Break fast is served

^actually i listened to it with my girlfriend and we both though it was just "ok", she was actually the one that pointed out how sloppy some of the songs sound...but music shouldn't need all these mitigating circumstances for it to be enjoyable, you either enjoy it or you don't...smfh indeed.

sloppy like her head?
    Break fast is served

yes. sloppy like her head.

nah it aint that sloppy - them beats is nice because they blow most people away first time they hear it - those that like mellow sexy shit for the ladies.
    Break fast is served

LOL the production ain't sloppy at all. Its very detailed and original. I still think its incredible. I've read people saying that its "all about mood" but all the songs have been stuck in my head over the last few months. They're well written songs, not just about mood or atmosphere, although thats obviously a compelling part of the album.

Fine if you don't like it, but I also think its an album that gets better each time you listen. I think on my first listen I would have rated it average.

Avant-garde

One of the best MUSIC records so far this year

^mosdef top 5 so far up there with Frank Ocean
    Break fast is served

Avant-garde

Quote Originally Posted by V4D3R View Post
    ^mosdef top 5 so far up there with Frank Ocean
    true true