Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weeknd

This might be in the top 30 albums i've heard this year.

Drake says The Weeknd is all over his soon to be dropped album 'Take Care'. No brainer, but obviously they should work pretty well together. The tracks I've heard from Drakes album so far have been incredible.

http://www.billboard.com/column/the-...05312302.story

Jesus, drake is such a clown, but i think he approaches music the right way.

Thursday is out

Avant-garde

Quote Originally Posted by J-DON View Post
    Thursday is out
    Another dope tape

When Weeknd will realize that he has to put out a full LP?

NICE!

Been waiting for more ever since I heard House of Balloons. As far as modern r&b goes, this is probably my favorite act ever.. Then again, I pretty much dislike all modern r&b.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones
    I didn't like it because of the beats.

and btw- for those who want to actually download it:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?x676v8zpkk42pyj

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones
    I didn't like it because of the beats.

epic. Listened to it a few times now. I like that he changed the sound from the first album. I mean theres some production similar to the first one, but its got a different vibe to it. A simple way of saying it is 'House Of Balloons' was like winter, 'Thursday' is like summer. Lyrics again are just way cooler and more real than anything the other R&B cornballs like Trey Songz and Ne-Yo would come up with.

'House Of Balloons' had to grow on me, and I think this one is gonna be a grower too. A couple of tracks had already leaked and those were the ones that I responded to more on first listen.

WooHa, these basically are albums. But hes giving them away free. Not that I wouldn't buy A Weeknd LP the day of its release, but what hes doing now is super cool.

His voice gets in the way of me enjoying this to a degree. It may grow on me though.

Thursday is dope.

Been seeing a lot of people in various places sorta hating like "it ain't House of Balloons though" which obviously it's not...if you wanna hear House of Balloons then go listen to House of Balloons

Thursday is like an extension of that tape.....yeah it's different but that's what makes it so good.

Birds Pt. 1 is still fire (that dropped a while ago)
    Lonely Star is amazing
    The Zone.....Drake comes outta nowhere and drops an epic verse

and Gone.....smh.....that shit just.....yo lot of babies gonna be made to that joint
    "We accept tires" - Cappadonna

Quote Originally Posted by bateman. View Post
    His voice gets in the way of me enjoying this to a degree. It may grow on me though.
    Come on, you don't like his voice? I think hes got a great voice, hits them high notes and shit.

What I thinks great about both tapes is how he throws together different elements, like theres a new wave influence, Drake influence, hip hop influence, classic R&B like Ginuwine & Jodeci and indie rock. But they don't sound forced together, he carved out his own sound and hes a hell of a songwriter. I also get a sense that he wants the listener to listen to it over and agian because theres so much detail in the compositions and vocal and words.

I kind of agree with buck, but off my first few listens I'd probably say its not as good as '...Balloons'. I mean I'm still listening to that and my favorite song keeps changing, 'Coming Down' is becoming imprinted on my mind, not only cos I relate to it but the vocals are perfect emotion for the lyrics. But again, so many great albums that I had to hear a lot before knowing their true greatness: Sensual World, Non Fiction, Black On Both Sides, Operation Doomsday, Alicia Keys etc. I'm sure theres others, on the other hand my opinion could remain the same, that its a great album but not a classic like 'Balloons'.

I'll say this much.......Thursday doesn't have anything that's even close to "Wicked Games"
    "We accept tires" - Cappadonna

I'd say thats my least favorite song on there, but I still think its dope as fuck. I wish I had a little criticism against him at this point cos I've been gushing over his music for the last month and even I'm getting tired of it.

Thought of one: Its not fair that hes younger than me and better than me at music. Actually its not fair that Justin Biebers better at music than me either.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotstheone View Post
    I'll say this much.......Thursday doesn't have anything that's even close to "Wicked Games"