Thread: 12" Throwback: Goldie / KRS-One [remixes by DJ Muggs, Armand Van Helden, etc.]

Default 12" Throwback: Goldie / KRS-One [remixes by DJ Muggs, Armand Van Helden, etc.]

if you visit my blog you know i sometimes post something called 12" Throwback where i upload various VLS from my collection that meant alot to me in one way or another. now the time has come to "DIGITAL", or UK drum n bass all up in your face - the Goldie produced KRS-One joint from '97.

what's so special about this is that it features the extremely rare DJ MUGGS remix that was only released on an italian promo 12". enjoy my friends. the original is a classic too and further proof of why KRS is the greatest of all time:

A few days ago, I finally got a good amplifier and some speakers for my Stanton Tables which means I'm finally able to play all my old vinyl albums and 12" singles again. Digging through my crates, I came across several amazing 12" releases that I had totally forgot about. This means that the section of "12'' Throwback" will appear alot more often, Moving on, my choice for today is....

Back in the mid '90s, I was a pretty big fun of drum'n'bass/jungle music and one of my favorite producers was Goldie, based on his classic "Timeless" LP that was a commercial success but also pushed the boundaries of what D&B could be without selling out. It's an amazing album that you should check out some time. In 1997 it was time for his sophomore release, titled "Saturn'z Returnz", another (double-) album that wasn't afraid of pushing the bounaries; disc 1 features only one song, a 60 minutes long dedication to his deceased mother incorporating elements of jungle, long passage of classical music and whatnot. The second disc featured collaborations with Liam Gallagher of Oasis and more importantly Boogie Down Production's KRS-One.

I used to be a big fan of drum n bass back in the days which doesn't suprise me the least since it's basically hip-hop beats played at a breaknecking speed over basslines that could blow out windows. On top of that, the first single from "Saturnz Return" featured none other than KRS-One riding the autobahn speed of the beat like he never done anything else in his life. Another proof that Knowledge Reigns Supreme could kill any, and I mean ANY, beat he jumps on. Especially back in 1997. The 6 minute epos is filled with quotables and although it might be too outdated for the dancefloors toay I woud imagine "Digital" would get the crowd in a frenzy back in '97. Goldie and Robert Playford's production is classic neckbreaking drum-n-bass and KRS-One does an impeccable job with the MCing. Proving that he can kill absolutely any beat given to him.

There's been plenty of different versions of this 12" released, as is often the case with jungle music, featuring instrumentals, radio edits, full-length versions and more importantly remixes by Armand Van Helden, DJ Boymerang and even Soul Assassins' DJ Muggs. Out of all the different releases of this particular, 12", The Muggs remix only appeared on an italian promo; a rare record if I ever knew one. Luckily for me, and all The Lost Tapes readers, I came across a rip of that version on the T.R.O.Y. Forum (by Mista' Mo - muchos gracias) . It's funny because I actually bought the "Digital" VLS while on a trip to Italy but it did not feature the Soul Assassins remix. Since it's such a rare track that I know alot of hip-hop heads has been dying to hear, I'm adding it to the tracklist anyways. Enjoy!

01. "Digital" [Original Mix]
    02. "Digital" [V.I.P. Mix]
    03. "Digital" [Boymerang Mix]
    04. "Digital" [Armand Van Helden Speed Garage Mix]
    05. "Digital" [Armand Van Helden Dub]
    06. "Digital" [Radio Edit]
    07. "Digital" [DJ MUGGS Remix]
    visit The Lost Tapes to download:
    http://claaa7.blogspot.com/2011/07/1...e-krs-one.html

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

also don't forget to check out my last 12" throwback, one of my favorite hip-hop 12's of all time - "Dope On Plastic" by Uptown.

I remembering hearing this track for the first time and being absolutely blown away. From the ruthless and fierce delivery and lyrics by BX's Uptown (born Raie Dacosta) combined with vintage late '80s hardcore production mashed with a passion by The SD50's Dante Ross with C.J. Moore on the classic A-side. The B-side, a ill track too provided by Bobby Simmons, is another heavy joint but doesn't live up to the fantastic A-side; well you couldn't expect a song as dope as the lead song from this single. A true hip-hop classic if I ever heard one.

Tommy Boy was one of thee number #1 labels back in 1989 and this impeccable VLS release had all the trademarks of a dope, original, timeless release of this time. If you haven't had the chance to hear this yet, especially the A-side, you've been missing on a big chunk of hip-hop history right here so make sure to grab it through The Lost Tapes below.

It's fucking weird that that Tommy Boy bailed on the album release after such a crazy debut single; think about how hip-hop sounded in '89 and just be amazed that this was the only release the MC. got a´chance to release on the label as a solo artist before being droppped shortly after. The two tracks's production comes from from SD50's (Dante Ross), who was an A&R at Tommy Boy at the time, released the album and then dropped the talented MC from their label. They passed on the contract before Uptown had the chance to release an album and as we seen with many Ross productions of this time; it's a certified neck breaker that will go down in history.

Uptown's vocals, delivery and smooth verses makes for an undoubted hip-hop classic that deserve alot more noise than it actually did. Maybe the label god getting cold feet after the single made some noise, as the expected classic didn't do the numbers they had hoped for. But that was alot about to change after quite a long hiatus where a lot of things would change for Uptown's future career. In 1994 hooked up with legendary B. Marsalis and hip-hop producer DJ Premier to guest on album by Buchshot LeFonque, That group was the brain child of B. Marsalis and Preemo and was an homage to those old '50s jazz records from the likes of Cannonabll Adderles and it has influences from the classic hardbop jazz for sure but at the simte it's a totaly new different sound. It fuses everything from bebop, modal jazz to heavy hip-hop flavor, salsa, funk and loads of other styles. With so may cooks in the kitchen it could easily be a very unfocused album but with Marsalis guidance in the kitchen the albuim is easily one of the most important jazz/fusion LPs in a very long time (Madlib's "Shades Of Blue" also comes to mind).

Uptown appeared on a few songs bt it was first with B.S.L'Founque's second album ("Musical Evolution" from '97) that he joined the group as a full-fledged member appearing on about half the tracks. Here he took on the name 50 Stylez: The Unknown Soldier and straight up ripped it. It might not be as good as the '94 ddebut but it's definitely one to check for; the main flaw was the lack of DJ Premier's participation (he did remix the first single "Music Evolution" however, also featuring Upwon and his P.N.C. The GURU jumped on another track with Uptown, "Black Monday"). Around the time of the debut, Uptown also jumped on a DJ Premier remix of Omar's "Keep Steppin'" track which I'm including as a bonus track at the bottom of the page. Hopefuly we'll get a new Buckshot LeFonque album soon before it's getting too late.

A1 - "DOPE ON PLASTIC" (VOCAL)
    A2 - "DOPE ON PLASTIC" (PLASTIPELLA)
    A3 -"IT'S MY TURN" (VOCAL)
    A4 - "IT'S MY TURN" (INSTRUMENTAL)
    B1 - "DOPE ON PLASTIC" (DUBSTRUMENTAL)
    B2 - "IT'S MY TURN" (DUBSTRUMENTAL)

http://claaa7.blogspot.com/2011/07/1...n-plastic.html

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Dope as fuck!

I was a big drum n bass fan too, although it was the late 90's when I got into it, so tech-step was the biggest sound at the time, with artists like technical itch, Dom & Roland, ed rush etc etc, I loved that dark heavy sound, reminded me of a horror sci fi film.

I didn't go back and check out the earlier forms of drum n bass like jungle or atmospheric drum n bass (like goldie) until a few years ago, and compared to the house scenes at the time it still sounds dope as fuck! "timeless" by goldie literally is fucking timeless, a landmark in atmospheric drum n bass.

I never knew goldie produced a track for krs! This has made my day, props man!

hehe that's almost the opposite of my story on Drum-N-Bass, i kinda quit listening alot to D&B around '99 although i listened alot to Ed Rush & Optical. i remember they did a crazy remix for Skunk Anansie - do you know which one i'm talking about. been looking for that

glad i could hook you up with some music you never heard before homie

I can't believe I never heard of this before, gonna give this a listen later!

I kinda stopped listening to drum n basswhen I heard all the stuff on the hospital label like London electricity and high contrast, I always thought that was the watering down of drum n bass.

Yeah I remember that skunk anansie remix, fuck I haven't heard that in years!

Think I might go out and cop that second goldie album now, been a while since I put on some drum n bass.

I remember that roni size track with method man from a few years ago, I was never a huge fan of roni size and I thought the track was a bit dissapointing.

let me know what you thought about the joint Durag, this is one of my favorites.

i agree with you about Roni Size/Reprazent though, they've done a few worthwhile tracks but overall i was never much of a fan either. i know which Meth track you're talking about ("Ghetto Celebritiy") and nah, i wasn't impressed either. however I have the "Judgement Day" remix VLS and it has a fucking amazing Roni Size remix of that track. check out that, i think you would like it.

also check out this track from 1972 by Miles.. first DnB track ever?

suprised more people didn't give a fuck about this thread though, that DJ Muggs remix is rare as fucking hell.

Anyone that still have that Dj Muggs Remix?

Quote Originally Posted by jbconline View Post
    Anyone that still have that Dj Muggs Remix?
    never heard this Muggs remix also, I am very interested to hear it, because the track by himself is really dope, and if it is remixed by the almighty Muggs on his golden years must be fire!

btw, I was also a huge drum n bass head some years ago, I loved everything from Metalheadz, Virus Records, Violence Records and Hospital Records, wich means I loved tech-step, neuro-funk and liquid.

peace Claaa7 can you please hook me up with this 12''. or anyone else who may have it to share. i think i missed it back in the day or i lost it.

i lost this track too, sorry