Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My review of Mobb Deep's Hell on Earth, as seen on Amazon.com

The Devil's sons Graveyard shift's Avatar

Default My review of Mobb Deep's Hell on Earth, as seen on Amazon.com

This is one of the more controversial reviews. It's drawn a lot of steam and praise from people I've come across. Here's the whole thing:

Title:One of the most overrated albums in rap's history.
    Rating: 2 out of 5 stars.
    Review:

Before getting steamed at the title of my review, take time and read my review in an objective sense. My critical anaylsis of this album was done strictly as objective as possible. I took my time listening to every single "song" on this album, so this isn't an uninformed review. Now to the review.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Hell on Earth, Mobb Deeps third release, came out during the era of the media-fabricated and infamous east-coast-west-coast beef. Throughout the album, you get a sense that the artist where suffucated by the negative climate of the time. The songs and lyrics on this album, in every way, reflect that era. Starting off the album is a deep bass mixed with a dark-drum line instrumental. Havoc and Prodigy lace the beat with self glorifying, tough guy lyrics that accentuate the grimy instrumental. Though this album has 14 tracks, you've be hardpressed to differentiate one from the other if it wasn't for the switch of beat. The level of variation in subject matter on this album is so limited that a review of one tracks lyrics will tell you all you need to know about the album, lyric wise. There are little to no song concepts on this album. Nearly every single track on Hell on Earth is polluted with numerous references to someone getting shot, how much better Prodigy and Havoc are than you, and how they are from Queensbridge, etc. Through the lyrical context of this album, you almost get the sense that Mobb Deep was too consumed with the negative climate of rap at the time. You get the sense that they're lashing out at anyone and everyone that may pose as a potential threat to them. Cuts like "Drop a gem on them" and "Bloodsport" find them verbally attacking the late Tupac Shakur. The lyrics on this album get so rediculous at times that you have to wonder what these guys were thinking. You truely have to sit back and question how these guys could put out track after track of the same tired material. About the only saving grace of this album is the instrumentals. Dark, grimey, and horror movie like, they paint a background of horror and terror. Though good, the instrumentals of this album also start to sound repetitive as you get deeper into the album. After a while, they all start to sound like a cluster of the same stuff.

I'm sorry, but in no way shape or form is this as great of an album as some have stated. Lack of variation in topics, Ignorant, mindless gun and thug brovado give this album no depth. If you're someone that is looking for intelligent lyrics or creative concepts, do yourself a favor and avoid Hell on Earth at all cost.

Fearless Vampire Killer UNCLE RUCKUS's Avatar

dont you know another dudes got the same name as you you should get a new 1

thats your opinion...
    but its wrong that album is classic not 2/5
    its 5 mics easy
    what more can i say, mobb deeps songs are all about murder and theyre all good up till 99
    dont inflict your opinions on helpless amazon buyers

Its mindless thug bravado but its mindless thug bravado DONE RIGHT.

I BLEW A HOLE IN HIS FACE SO BIG, IT ALMOST BLEW HIS WHOLE FACE OFF!!!

More Trife Life is my joint though. I cant go a week without hearing it. Havoc was underrated as an Emcee. He didnt have the one liners that made prodigy one of the most sampled Emcees in hiphop but he definately held his own and More Trife Life was a great story rap and was >>>> Trife Life 1.
    Last edited by J-DON; 10-27-2006 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graveyard shift View Post

I'm sorry, but in no way shape or form is this as great of an album as some have stated. Lack of variation in topics, Ignorant, mindless gun and thug brovado give this album no depth. If you're someone that is looking for intelligent lyrics or creative concepts, do yourself a favor and avoid Hell on Earth at all cost.

Hell On Earth is a certified classic. Nobody does gun talk like Mobb Deep. It's not neccesarily about intellect (which they do have needless to say in thier lyrics, more so in the form of cunningness I would say or street smarts is it down to the core) but strength and some dope raw lyrics on the mic. Plus, Havoc makes the best beats around. Them shits in themselves are crazy motivating. But their rhymes are dope and also ignite fire, word gun talk at it's finest. But surprising enough and if what you were trying to say is that Hell on Earth even though a classic, still isn't their best album I agree. But definetly can't say they have a bad album, cause they don't have a bad album except for maybe that Juvenile album shit when they was just shorties.

Peep these two dope vids just of that one Hell on Earth album:

or clink link same thing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S-FuLeH3eU

Them two spit raw straight dope on this next one. One of my favorite all time joints how they used that scarface theme anthem song on this track.
    "It's the G.O.D., father part 3, QBC sim lime bacardi, heavy on the wrist(rich), cuban link my ice ring, drama we bring, yeah that's a small thing."

or click link for same thing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb-0a8tIpUQ

u have ur opinion but i completely dissagree with it, and honestly you say you're not but the "review" is very biased

it's the best mobb deep album period and easily a classic

stop looking for overly complex things all of the time

"Reciting a biblical verse before I make your melon burst like that nigga Jules from Pulp Fiction...my salvation is salivation, and diction crucifixion" - Ras Kass

http://www.myspace.com/theblacksunn1 http://theblacksunn.blogspot.com

and honestly if u think this album is bad than i'd like to hear what u listen to

"Reciting a biblical verse before I make your melon burst like that nigga Jules from Pulp Fiction...my salvation is salivation, and diction crucifixion" - Ras Kass

Quote Originally Posted by Graveyard shift View Post

mindless gun and thug brovado
    Thats the best type of Hip Hop right there, the streets shit. Not that backpacker bullshit..... The album is a classic, nuttin but hard shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah View Post
    and honestly if u think this album is bad than i'd like to hear what u listen to
    50 cunt, gayme and krunk music probably, if hes givin THIS album of ALL albums a 2 of 5

Quote Originally Posted by Cesar View Post
    Thats the best type of Hip Hop right there, the streets shit. Not that backpacker bullshit..... The album is a classic, nuttin but hard shit.
    TRUE BUT MAD PPLZ IS BRINGIN IT OUT IN GARBAGE ASS WAYS
    EX: GAYME, 50 "LOOSE CHANGE" CUNT, DIPSET, FUCK, PRETTY MUCH MOST OF THE MODERN EAST COAST

ITS ALL PERCEPTION AND DELIVERY, MOBB DEEP BRUNG IT OUT THE BEST ON "THE INFAMOUS" & "HELL ON EARTH"

The Devil's sons Graveyard shift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LORD ZERO View Post
    50 cunt, gayme and krunk music probably, if hes givin THIS album of ALL albums a 2 of 5
    LOL. You should know that I don't listen to that garbage. But, that' s just the thing. People blast cats like 50 cent and Lil John for spewing garbage, well they're spitting some of the same stuff that Mobb Deep was spitting on that album. 50 cent, game, there's no difference in that album.

I read one cat on here say that the review is biased. What part of it was biased? I just basically told what was on the album, and exposed how limited it is. I don't see any opinions on there other than saying that I don't consider it 5 mics because it's so limited, and basically anyone can do what they did with decent beats.

There's these blinders that go on when you mention the Mobb. People will be so quick to criticize other forms of limited music, but for some reason the Mobb get a free pass no matter what they do.

ok, i know your review is very special. but you could have just included it in the "Mobb Deep - Hell on Earth Review Thread".

honestly you're criticizing them for not spitting substance and whatnot (which is completely debatable because I believe if you're documenting the feelings of those around you and your living condition that is substance) but if you don't understand that's not mobb deep's angle in the first place to "drop knowledge" every track then you don't need to be listening to them in the first place.

and if any of this is the case for you then u must hate the 36 chambers album because they we're spitting the same things.

and you're biased because you're expecting something that isn't mobb deep's field of music

The thread starter missed the point completley with this album, Mobb Deep illustrated with their words the urban depravation of their streets while demonstrating the type of ego that alot of the youths from the ghetto carry in a desperate attempt to improve their living conditions. Hip hop was music from the poor point of view and that is exactly what you get with early mobb Deep or Wu-Tang, Boot Camp Click etc. The one word that keeps running through my mind when I listen to these albums is STRUGGLE, you say the subject matter is limited and that it lacked concepts, well I saw one concept/theme which they stuck too throughout the album and if you don't see it then maybe you have no business listening to hip hop.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

lol at people who view music like this in general. ok so you might not like the lyrical content, but from a musical perspective this is the peak of Mobb Deep as far as beats and flow. how can you ignore the beats! its like a 4/5 just on havocs beats for Hell on Earth. i think youve had enough attention for your opinion, someone should move this into the other thread.