Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's people's opinions on Dubstep?

Cthulhu posted good stuff, and he's right, Skrillex, Rusko etc. are pretty bad. I like most styles of dubstep (apart from ultra aggressive shit). The more warped takes on dubstep coming out in the last two or three years have been great, but i can maybe understand that if you're just into bare dubstep you wouldn't like it.

Tracks coming out now are a bit hard to put into a dubstep, 2step, jungle, house, tehcno garage category.

Labels like Hessle Audio, Hemlock, Hyperdub,

It sucks. Sounds like jungle or 2 step but played by a bassist with diarrhea.

Dubstep used to be proper unique and interesting to listen to back when it first came out with artists like Horsepower Productions, old Skream and old Benga, DMZ, and D1. This was when it was raw and has the actual dub influences which you could tell from the copious amount of reverb on the snare and the old rasta fx. Now it's just wobbles this and wobble that and it's completely shit on the mainstream side. However people like Burial, Synkro, Boxcutter, Pinch, and 2562 don't delve in that shit and continue to create atmospheric releases that are loved by the true underground fans.
    MC Definition nuff said

I hate people saying Dubstep is watered down now, simply because some bastardisations of it are popular.

It's just that there is a market for harsh, techno influence dubstep. The rest of it hasn't changed and will never be particularly palletable for a mass audience.

Personally, I think its a boring genre, and calling it a genre is a stretch

House music is fantastic. Deep House, Progressive House, that stuff has rhythm. You can dance to it yet you can also chill to it. Dubstep, however, is horrible. Don't like it. Same thing goes with rave, drum & bass, and that crazy anime techno shit. Garbage.

This is house music. Notice how it changes every 8 bars. It keeps progressing towards a climax and essentially orgasming. It has a plot. It has a direction and knows exactly where it needs to go:

Does dubstep ever do that? School me on dubstep, I'm a noob with it.

MANDY is actually techno but makes alot of Tech-House stuff..

I'm a huge dubstep fan, I think it was actually Bateman here who put me onto vex'd in the first place, Id heard some dubstep before but that, along with burial's debut (still the best dubstep album ever IMO) blew my fucking mind.

I like most styles of dubstep apart from that brainless mid range noise shit like skrillix or doctor p. The 'dungeon' (dark and minimal a la j kenso, kryptic minds etc)sound that youngsta has been pushing on his rinse fm show for a while now is probably my favourite but the earlier more bassy stuff like digital mystikz is probably the height of the genre along with the atmosphere of burial, scuba, clubroot etc.

For harder stuff, fuck that skrillix, borgore, doctor p mid-range shit, check out vex'd (particularly their first album degenerate), broken note, Milanese etc. It's the more industrial side of dubstep that had the dope aggressive shit.

And badboy t, u say dubstep has lost it's way, but then fuckin mention skrillix? All those 'filth' 'brostep' tracks are the same thing- 4 second bursts of the filthiest most fucked up sounds they can find and putting together over a generic drum pattern. There's no subbass like most dubstep, so listening to it on shitty laptop speakers sounds the same as on a good system. It's almost like they are trying to 'out-filth' each other. Skream and benga, two of it's pinoeers (check out "midnight request line" and "night" for two of the genres classics) have also gone down this route as it's easily surpassed the other forms of dubstep as the most popular. Smfh.

Like Bateman said, the scene is moving so fast some of it bearly sounds like dubstep, with post dubstep, future garage, funky, all becoming popular. Dope artists pushing it foward though are people like zomby, untold, joy Orbison, James Blake etc.

I couldnt be bothers posting videos, just check out people like the following artists:

Burial
    Vex'd
    Distance
    Boxcutter
    Martyn
    Kryptic minds
    Skream
    Digital mystikz
    Leofah
    Pinch
    Scuba
    Zomby
    Shakelton
    Joy Orbison

Etc etc etc

Also, Silkie, both his albums are heavy.

Dubstep has changed, some people don't really like the changes, but as i said, there are still producers make dubstep similar to the original sound. There is just much greater depth now.

Shackleton's shit is great, i listened to his album a lot when it came out. His beats are always really intricate and you can tell he puts a lot of time into them.

Some other deepness.