Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's people's opinions on Dubstep?

Default What's people's opinions on Dubstep?

I know quite a lot about Dubstep, I'm just interested to know what other people think of it especially those that normally stick to a strictly hip hop basis and want to explore other genres.

I'm happy to drop knowledge and educate anyone on the matter as well.
    Just hollar

SHAOLIN STUDENT wutangclan97chamber's Avatar

fuck dubstep. i hate it

sorry

Fair play bro each to their own. Everyone has different tastes and opinions on different vibes.
    MC Definition nuff said

SHAOLIN STUDENT wutangclan97chamber's Avatar

word

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

Don't like it either. Simply can't get into it.
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

It's a hard style to get used to tbf. As I'm from Uk near Bristol I been around Dubstep, Drum n Bass, Techno and garage as much as Hip Hop.
    MC Definition nuff said

I don't know, I had pretty easy time getting into garage and grime, d'n'b too, but dubstep is, I don't know... too fucking slow for me. Not maniacal enough, if you know what I mean.
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

Yeah I hear what you saying bro, there are loads of different tyes of Dubstep, for example there's heavy dubstep with heavy LFO and mad frequencies, then there's slow chilled atmospheric slightly ambient Dubstep.
    MC Definition nuff said

Examples of heavy stuff please?

Skrillex
    Doctor P
    MRK1
    Trolley Snatcha
    Rusko (certain tracks)

Check them out, they use a lot of wobble dubstep, which is when the bassline has a wobble effect which is caused by the LFO (Last Oscillating Frequency) and the cutt off turned up half away created a balanced between the sound waves that resonate at a balance causing a tremlo on the wave.
    MC Definition nuff said

I personally prefer minimal Dubstep which is more atmospheric laid back vibes
    MC Definition nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by bad boy T View Post
    Skrillex
    Doctor P
    MRK1
    Trolley Snatcha
    Rusko (certain tracks)

Check them out, they use a lot of wobble dubstep, which is when the bassline has a wobble effect which is caused by the LFO (Last Oscillating Frequency) and the cutt off turned up half away created a balanced between the sound waves that resonate at a balance causing a tremlo on the wave.
    That's more like it. Some of those kinda remind me of French heavy house (that's my personal favorite out of electronic music).

About that chill dubstep, definitely not my cup of tea (how British was THAT, heh?)

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by bad boy T View Post
    Skrillex
    Doctor P
    MRK1
    Trolley Snatcha
    Rusko (certain tracks)

All of this stuff garbage except for early MRK1 when he was still doing breakstep/breakbeat garage and grime.

If you want heavy dubstep listen to stuff like Vex'd and Loefah:

I really can't stand most of the new stuff that passes for dubstep these days. 2004-2007 was really the best era. Digital Mystikz, Loefah, Vex'd, Burial, Kode9, Distance, El-B, D1, Benga, Skream, all that shit is the good stuff. Skrillex, Borgore, and all that shit can fuck off.

I agree that Vex'd can be heavy, but loefah aint as he was part of the old skool croyden big apple records scene, they were pioneers but nah never as heavy as the modern day shit. They were sick, but not that heavy apart from some of Skream's early shit.
    MC Definition nuff said

@cthulhu I totally agree, dubstep has lost the edge that used to define it.
    MC Definition nuff said