Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Today in hip hop history

Default Today in hip hop history

First off yesterday, the 11th in 1973 hip hop was born with much credit due to Kool Herc for that http://www.rapstation.com/td/vBHqvk6i

Today August 12th in 1969, Prince Poetry of Organized Konfusion fame was born in 1969. Ice Cube's cousin Del the Funkee Homosapian was born in 1972

Also, Affion Crockett was born on this day in 1974. This Sunday his show on Fox will premier. Here's looking to getting more of the following treats

Last edited by True Father Allah; 09-03-2011 at 06:25 PM.

lot of hip hop legends born in Black August, today August 13th, Ced Gee of Ultramagnetic MCs fame was born as well as Tragedy Khadafi

http://www.rapstation.com/td/3BHqvk6i

Tragedy Khadafi was born Percy Chapman in Queens , New York on this day in 1971.

Khadafi was previously known as Intelligent Hoodlum as a member of The Juice Crew. He also made up one half of the Iron Sheiks with Imam T.H.U.G. He also made up one half of another duo in the beginning of his career as a part of The Super Kids with Hot Day.

Khadafi released his first Self-Entitled album in 1991 on A&M Records as Intelligent Hoodlum. Khadafi has released 10 albums to date on various labels such as Nocturne , Fast Life , Solid , Gee Street and 25 Ta Life Records with the most recent being 2011’s “Thug Matrix 3”
    Last edited by True Father Allah; 08-23-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Wu Vatican

Quote Originally Posted by True Father Allah View Post

use the "youtube" button in the advanced reply post. then cut and paste the numbers and letters after the = in the url.

example... K-j6Z_Loxw4

but put that in between the youtube tags.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

Quote Originally Posted by whitey View Post
    use the "youtube" button in the advanced reply post. then cut and paste the numbers and letters after the = in the url.

example... K-j6Z_Loxw4

but put that in between the youtube tags.
    thanks!

http://www.rapstation.com/td/4BHqvk6i
    Aug.14th – The Fat Boys followed up their motion picture debut in 1985’s “Krush Groove” with a remake of the Jerry Lewis comedy classic The Disorderly Orderly” called “The Disordelies” , which opened in U.S. theaters on this day in 1987.

The Warner Bros. film was directed by Michael Schultz and co-starred Ralph Bellamy , Helen Reddy and Troy Beyer.
    Last edited by True Father Allah; 08-23-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Today in hip hop and rap history

Aug.15th – Russian hip-hop star and actor Timati was born Timur Ildarovich Yunasov in Moscow , Soviet Union , on this day in 1983.

Timati became first known to the Russian public via the entertainment reality show “Star Factory 4”. Timati has released 2albums to date ; 2006’s “Black Star” and 2009’s “The Boss”. Timati has also appeared in 6 films to date , most notably 2006’s Art Studio Pictures film “Heat”.

Timati who raps in Russian and English has collaborated with a number of American hip-hop artists such ; Fat Joe , Snoop Dogg , Cam’Ron , Busta Rhymes and P.Diddy.

http://www.rapstation.com/td/8BHqvk6i
    Last edited by True Father Allah; 08-23-2011 at 01:24 PM.

lot of hip hop legends born in Black August, today August 13th, Ced Gee of Ultramagnetic MCs fame was born as well as Tragedy Khadafi

http://www.rapstation.com/this​dayinhiphopandrap

Tragedy Khadafi was born Percy Chapman in Queens , New York on this day in 1971.

Khadafi was previously known as Intelligent Hoodlum as a member of The Juice Crew. He also made up one half of the Iron Sheiks with Imam T.H.U.G. He also made up one half of another duo in the beginning of his career as a part of The Super Kids with Hot Day.

Khadafi released his first Self-Entitled album in 1991 on A&M Records as Intelligent Hoodlum. Khadafi has released 10 albums to date on various labels such as Nocturne , Fast Life , Solid , Gee Street and 25 Ta Life Records with the most recent being 2011’s “Thug Matrix 3”
    some more history about the 13th, Cypress Hill.............

On August 13th, 1991, a classic was born. Made up of B-Real, Sen Dog & DJ Muggs, the self-titled debut album from Cypress Hill was a fresh of fresh air. 16 tracks filled with tales of the streets, guns, corrupt cops and, of course, weed.

Rolling Stone ranked their debut at #59 on their top 100 Best Albums Of The Nineties. In their review, they said:

"Cypress Hill's formula has been imitated so much, it's easy to forget how shocking it sounded at the time: crazy L.A. voices, scary Spanglish words, dusted Seventies funk beats that made you laugh out loud. B-Real and Sen-Dog come on as a hip-hop Cheech and Chong, praising the sweet leaf with a devotion rarely seen beyond the parking lot at a Phish concert. While the rappers twist their "Latin Lingo" into vato rhymes about blunts, guns and forties, D.J. Muggs pumps bongloads of bass into paranoid sound collages like "Hand on the Pump," and when you turn it up loud, the beat goes boo-ya."

Spin and Q magazine also praised the debut from Cypress Hill, ranking it high on their lists of the Best Albums Of The 90's. The Source magazine also chose it as one of the 100 Best Rap Albums.

Sampling everyone from Jimi Hendrix to Muddy Waters, to Kool & The Gang and The Isley Brothers, the incredible DJ Muggs went all out to create a wildly original soundscape for B-Real and Sen Dog to rhyme over.

HIPHOPGODS and RAPstation salutes the mighty Cypress Hill and their classic debut album.

Tune in to HIPHOPGODS Radio - Tuesday, August 16th, 8pm EST - where we'll celebrate the 20 year anniversary of their debut.

http://www.rapstation.com/​news/cypr...8203;niversary

happy born day to KRS ONE who was born today in 1965
    http://www.rapstation.com/td/hCHqvk6i
    Last edited by True Father Allah; 08-23-2011 at 01:25 PM.

nice thread you have

http://www.rapstation.com/td/sCHqvk6i

August 22nd: The GZA/Genius of The Wu-Tang Clan was born Gary Grice , in Brooklyn , New York , on this day in 1966.

In the early 1980's The GZA was known as The Genius because of his well rounded knowledge of the 5% teachings. It was during this time that he formed his 1st rap group with his cousins and future Wu members , the late Ol' Dirty Bastard and Wu founder and producer The RZA.

In 1991 , The GZA signed with Cold Chillin' Records and released his debut album "Words From The Genius" , which featured production by Easy Mo Bee , Jesse West and Patrick Harvey. The Genius would only begin to attain success however when with his cousins The RZA and Ol' Dirty Bastard , formed the 9 man crew in 1992 that featured Method Man, Raekwon , Ghostface Killah , U-God , Masta Killa and Cappadonna , known as The Wu-Tang Clan.

When their debut album "Enter The Wu-Tang" was released in 1993 , The GZA as he was now known , was one of the most prominently featured m.c's on the album. His 1995 sophomore joint "Liquid Swords" was produced entirely by The RZA , as were all Wu-Tang solo albums at the time and is still considered until this day as one of the strongest Wu solo efforts ever. "Liquid Swords" spawned the hits ; "Cold World" , "I Gotcha Back" , "Shadowboxin/4th Chamber" and the classic title track. Like the group's collective debut album , "Liquid Swords" retained a martials arts film theme throughout the album. The album's cover was designed by DC Milestone Comics chief artist Denys Cowan.

The GZA has released 3 more solo albums since then , 1999's "Beneath The Surface" , 2002's "Legend Of The Liquid Sword" and 2008's "Pro Tools". The GZA is currently working on a follow-up to his 1995 classic called ; "Liquid Swords 2" - The Return Of The Shadowboxer. The GZA has appeared on all 5 Wu-Tang Clan albums as well as guesting on Wu solo joints by several members including classics by ODB and Raekwon.

In 2005 , The GZA released a collaborative album with Cypress Hill d.j. and producer DJ Muggs called "Grandmasters" on Angeles Records. The albums theme was the game of "chess".

The GZA also appeared with The RZA in the 2003 United Artists film "Coffee And Cigarettes" , in a memorable scene with Bill Murray. The GZA is considered one of the most gifted lyricists in hip-hop history.
    Last edited by True Father Allah; 08-23-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Guillotine View Post
    nice thread you have
    peace and respect

[*YOUTUBE] parts in red goes in here [/YOUTUBE*]

and you should remove the redasterix from the brackets, they're just there so that I can show it like this.

And yeah, nice thread! *repped*

"Can't believe you on the canvas, I'm just throwin jabs" - Inspectah Deck

Blueminati

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo View Post
    [*YOUTUBE] parts in red goes in here [/YOUTUBE*]

and you should remove the redasterix from the brackets, they're just there so that I can show it like this.

And yeah, nice thread! *repped*
    yeah, I got it now, thanks!

August 23rd - Public Enemy released their 5th album “Muse Sick In Hour Mess Age” on Def Jam Records , on this day in 1994.

The album’s heavy focus on live instrumentation would influence The Roots , N.E.R.D and Rage Against The Machine. The album would contain unforgettable tracks like “Whole Lotta Love Goin’ On In The Middle Of Hell” , “Stop In The Name” , “What Kind Of Power We Got” , “I Stand Accused” and the hit-single “Give It Up”. The c.d. version contained an explosive intro track called “Ferocious Soul”.

Where as in the past Public Enemy had gone after mainly white supremacy , racists and enemies of oppressed people around the world , the group had now gone after the Black community itself , holding accountable the Original Man and Woman in the struggle and liberation of The Black Nation.

An almost sci-fi concept known as the “*****trons” were introduced on this album. The goal of “Muse Sick” , to quote lyrics from the track “Whole Lotta Love Goin’ On In The Middle Of Hell” was to “crack the cracka” and “Level the devil”.

The album would also contain a reworking of Minister Louis Farrakhan’s late 60’s hit “A White Man’s Heaven Is A Black Man’s Hell” , renamed “White Heaven/Black Hell”.

http://www.rapstation.com/td/vCHqvk6i
    Last edited by True Father Allah; 08-24-2011 at 04:13 PM.

They really should sticky this thread, might be the only educational material I read all day

Good lookin on all that stuff True