Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Today in hip hop history

Quote Originally Posted by True Father Allah View Post
    Kane born the day after Shan, funny how that works sometimes

Sept.10th – Big Daddy Kane was born Antonio Monterio Hardy in Brooklyn , New York on this day in 1968.

Kane signed with Marley Marl’s Cold Chillin’ Records in 1987. Kane also joined Marl’s Juice Crew collective as well , which featured Biz Markie , Roxanne Shante , Kool G. Rap , Grand Daddy I.U. , TJ Swan , Masta Ace , Intelligent Hoodlum a.k.a. Tragedy Khadafi and Craig G..

Kane released his classic 1st single “Raw” the same year and his debut solo album followed in 1988 called “Long Live The Kane”. The album spawned the hits “I’ll Take You There” and the classic “Ain’t No Half Steppin’”.

Kane’s smooth lyrical style and debonair fashion sense quickly earned him the reputation as the Billy Dee Williams of rap. Kane also became one of the earliest rappers to incorporate the 5% teachings into his lyrics. His faster than average vocal delivery style also made Kane unique and started a new vocal trend that would influence future m.c.’s like Treach of Naughty By Nature and Twista.

Kane’s sophomore set “It’s A Big Daddy Thing” was released in 1989 and produced more hits like “Smooth Operator” and the Teddy Riley produced “I Get The Job Done”.

Kane also had one of the most memorable verses on the classic Juice Crew posse cut “The Symphony”.

In the early 90’s Kane would have Jay-Z join him onstage during his tour , while he changed his on-stage outfits. These would be some the earliest public performances by Jay-Z.

Kane has released 7 albums to date as well as collaborating with the likes of Patti Labelle , 2Pac , M.C. Hammer , Danny Boy , Jurassic 5 , Morcheeba , The Game and Busta Rhymes.

Kane also became the 1st rapper to pose for Playgirl when he did a pictorial for the magazine in the early 90’s. Kane also posed for Madonna’s 1992 book “Sex”.

Kane has also appeared in the films “Meteor Man” , “Just Another Day” and had a memorable role in Mario Van Peebles 1993 Black western “Posse” as Father Time”.

In 2005 , Kane was honored during the VH1-Hip-Hop Honors with T.I. , Black Thought and Common performing some his classics before Kane himself took to the stage for a performance with his long-time dancers Scoob and Scrap.
    http://uniqueheat.wordpress.com/2011...tory-in-brief/

http://rapstation.com/td/oDHqvk6i

Sept.11th – Ludacris was born Christopher Brian Bridges in Champaign , Illinois , on this day in 1977.

After studying music management at Georgia State University , Ludacris got a job as a radio-host on Atlanta’s Hot 97.5 fm as Chris Lova Lova.

Ludacris made his recording debut in 1998 , on producer Timbaland’s debut solo album “Tim’s Bio”: Life From Da Basement on the track “Phat Rabbit”.

Ludacris released his debut solo album on his own independent Disturbing Tha Peace label called “Incognegro” the same year.

Ludacris would explode onto the music scene however , when his album was re-released 2 years later minus 3 tracks when Disturbing Tha Peace was picked up by Def Jam and the album was re-titled “Back For The First Time”. The album produced 2 smash-hit singles ; “What’s Your Fantasy?”(Featuring Shawna) and “Southern Hospitality”(Featuring Pharell).

The following year Ludacris released a follow-up album “Word Of Mouf” , which produced the hit-singles “Rollout”(My Business) , “Saturday”(Oooh , Oooh)(Featuring Sleepy Brown) and “Area Codes”(Featuring Nate Dogg).

Meanwhile his special-effects fueled, comical videos became a favorite of fans on video clip outlets like MTV and BET.

In 2003 , Ludacris hit big again with the smash “Act A Fool” from the soundtrack to the Universal Pictures film “2 Fast , 2 Furious” , released the same year.

Ludacris also released his next album that same year as well called “Chicken-N-Beer” which contained the huge hit “Stand Up” which was produced by Kanye West.

Ludacris has released 4 albums since then , most notably 2004’s “The Red Light District” which produced the no.1 hit “Runaway Love”(Featuring Mary J. Blige).

Ludacris is also an accomplished actor , appearing in several films like “Hustle & Flow” , “Max Payne” , “No Strings Attached” , “The Wash” and the Oscar-winning “Crash”.

Today in hip hop and rap history, 15 years ago one of the greatest soldiers we had in hip hop, second generation revolutionary 2pac Skakur died at the young age of 25.........
    http://rapstation.com/td/rDHqvk6i

http://rapstation.com/td/wDHqvk6i

Sept.14th – Nas was born Nasir Bin Olu Dara Jones in Queens , New York , on this day in 1973.

Nas , the son of jazz musician Olu Dara , first used the stage name Kid Wave as a teen.

Nas was first introduced to the rap industry when he appeared on Main Source’s “Live At The Barbeque” in 1991 as Nasty Nas.

Nas would then be managed by MC Serch of 3rd Bass , who then in turn put Nas on the soundtrack to the 1992 Triumph Releasing Corporation film “Zebrahead” , of which Serch was executive producer of. The result was Nas’ 1st solo single “Halftime” , produced by Large Professor.

Nas’ complex wordy rhyme style immediately had heads referring to him as the new Rakim.

Nas , however would enter hip-hop’s history books with the release of his classic debut album “Illmatic” on Columbia Records in 1994. “Illmatic” featured production by Pete Rock , Q-Tip , L.E.S. , DJ Premier and once again Large Professor. “Illmatic” contained the classic singles “The World Is Yours” , “It Ain’t Hard To Tell” , “One Love” , “Life’s a B.” and the album cut “New York State Of Mind”. The album was hailed as an instant classic as well as being an important collection of music that contributed to the New York hip-hop renaissance of the mid-90’s.

Critics and fans alike until this day consider “Illmatic” one of the greatest hip-hop albums ever.

By 1995 , Nas was considered one of the greatest rappers in the industry with guest appearances on now classic albums by Raekwon , Mobb Deep and Kool G. Rap.

In 1996 , Nas switched managers , hiring Steve Stoute to guide his career. Nas released his chart-topping sophomore set “It was Written”. The album was mostly produced by the then red-hot production team of The Trackmasters and featured the smash-hit “If I Ruled The World”(Imagine That)(Featuring Lauryn Hill).

In 1997 , Nas put together the super-group The Firm with AZ , Foxy Brown and Cormega , who was later replaced by Nature. The Firm released their only album entitled “The Album” on Dr. Dre’s Aftermath label.

Nas has released 7 solo albums since then ; 1999’s “I Am…” , which featured the hits “Nas Is Like” and “Hate Me Now” , 2001’s “Stillmatic” which contained the tracks “Got Ur Self A…” , “One Mic” and the Jay-Z battle track “Ether” , 2002’s “God’s Son” , which featured the unforgettable “Made You Look” , 2006’s “Hip-Hop Is Dead” , with its controversial title track and 2008’s no.1 album “Untitled”.

Nas also released the collaboration album “Distant Relatives” with Bob Marley’s son Damian Marley in 2010.

Nas as well produced the 2000 compilation “QB’s Finest”, which featured artists from the Queensbridge Housing Projects in Queens , New York where Nas was raised , like Marley Marl , M.C. Shan , Roxanne Shante , Mobb Deep and Cormega with whom Nas had reconciled with , just to name a few.

Nas has also appeared in the films “John Q.” , “Ticker” , “Uptown Girls” and had a starring role in the 1998 Hype Williams directed cult film “Belly”. Nas is regarded as one of the most gifted lyricist ever.

http://rapstation.com/td/yDHqvk6i
    Sept.15th – Public Enemy release their 5th album “Greatest Misses” on Def Jam Records , on this day in 1992.

Def Jam Records had wanted to do a greatest hits compilation , which Chuck D thought that after only 5 years in the recording industry was premature. So instead “Greatest Misses” became a collection of new songs, unreleased material and remixes of previous hits and album tracks courtesy of Chuck Chill-Out , Sir Jinx , Damon “Dollars” Kelly , Jeff Trotter , Greg Beasley , Shy Skillz and the late great Jam-Master Jay.

“Greatsest Misses” also featured a live U.K. television performance of Pete Rock’s remix to “Shut Em Down” as well as new tracks like the hit single ; “Hazy Shade Of Criminal” as well as “Gotta Do What I Gotta Do” , “Gett Off My Back” , also featured in the 1992 Columbia Pictures film “Mo’ Money” and “Air Hoodlum”.

Kay Gee of Naughty by Nature also celebrates another b day on this day
    Last edited by True Father Allah; 09-17-2011 at 08:51 AM.

http://rapstation.com/td/2DHqvk6i

September 16th – T La Rock was born Clarence Ronnie Keaton in Manhattan , New York , on this day in 1961.

Rock , the older brother of m.c Special K. of the legendary Treacherous Three began deejaying and rapping in the early 70’s during the earliest days of hip-hop.

Rock’s place in hip-hop was guaranteed , when in 1984 his hit single “It’s Yours” became the 1st release for Def Jam Recordings in a joint release venture with Partytime/Streetwise Records.

Rock’s articulate and complex lyrical style would have an influence on future legendary m.c.’s like LL Cool J and Nas.

Rock released his debut album “Lyrical King”(From The Boogie Down Bronx) in 1987 on Fresh Records.

Rock’s next album would be his last to date when he released “On A Warpath” in 1989.

Rock would suffer a traumatic brain injury while attempting to break up a fight in front of his brother’s apartment building in The Bronx in 1994. After having spent several years recovering , Rock began performing again in 2008 and is currently working on a new album.

http://rapstation.com/td/6DHqvk6i

Sept.17th - M.C. Lyte released her classic debut album “Lyte As A Rock” on First Priority Records on this day in day in 1988. The album featured such Lyte classics like “Paper Thin” , “10 % Dis” and “I Cram To Understand U”.

Quote Originally Posted by True Father Allah View Post
    http://rapstation.com/td/2DHqvk6i

September 16th – T La Rock was born Clarence Ronnie Keaton in Manhattan , New York , on this day in 1961.

Rock , the older brother of m.c Special K. of the legendary Treacherous Three began deejaying and rapping in the early 70’s during the earliest days of hip-hop.

Rock’s place in hip-hop was guaranteed , when in 1984 his hit single “It’s Yours” became the 1st release for Def Jam Recordings in a joint release venture with Partytime/Streetwise Records.

Rock’s articulate and complex lyrical style would have an influence on future legendary m.c.’s like LL Cool J and Nas.

Rock released his debut album “Lyrical King”(From The Boogie Down Bronx) in 1987 on Fresh Records.

Rock’s next album would be his last to date when he released “On A Warpath” in 1989.

Rock would suffer a traumatic brain injury while attempting to break up a fight in front of his brother’s apartment building in The Bronx in 1994. After having spent several years recovering , Rock began performing again in 2008 and is currently working on a new album.
    also on the 16th, Frukwan of Stetsasonic/Gravediggaz fame celebrated another birthday

today Lord Jamar of Brand Nubian celebrates another b day

http://rapstation.com/td/8DHqvk6i

Sept.18th - Xzibit was born Alvin Nathaniel Joiner IV in Detroit , Michigan , on this day in 1974.

After relocating to Los Angeles as a teen , Xzibit finally made his debut on wax with west-coast rap legends Tha Alkoholics , guesting on the track “Hit And Run” from their 1995 album “Coast II Coast”. Shortly after , Xzibit appeared on the track “Free Style Ghetto” off of King Tee’s album “IV Life”.

During this time , Xzibit signed with Loud Records and released his critically-acclaimed debut album “At The Speed Of Life” , which featured the classic hit-singles “Paparazzi” and “The Foundation”.

After continuing to build his reputation touring alongside The Likwit Crew , Xzibit released his classic sophomore joint “40 Dayz & 40 Nightz” in 1998. The album spawned several hits including ; “What U See Is What U Get”.

By now Xzibit had caught the eye of legendary producer Dr. Dre who paired him with Snoop Dogg on the hit-single “B- Please” from the latter’s 1999 album “No Limit Top Dogg”. Xzibit would next appear on Dr. Dre’s multi-platinum “The Chronic 2001” , released the same year. Xzibit appeared on several tracks on the album including “What’s The Difference” , a smash-hit with Eminem.

Xzibit would release 4 more albums to date , most notably 2000’s hugely successful “Restless”. ”Restless” , considered a west-coast rap classic , featured production by Dr. Dre , DJ Quik , Erick Sermon , Sir Jinx , Eminem , Rockwilder , Soopafly , Rick Rock , Battlecat and Mel-Man. The album featured several hits-singles including ; “X”.

However in 2004 , Xzibit would achieve his biggest fame with the hugely popular MTV show “Pimp My Ride” , which ran for 5 seasons. Xzibit hosted the automobile restoration program which saw young car owners have their less than stellar vehicles souped up and repaired beyond recognition by West Coast Customs and later Galpin Auto Sports. The show was extremely popular and afforded Xzibit international fame and popularity.

Xzibit however was no stranger to the camera. He made his celluloid debut in 1999 in the film “The Breaks”. Xzibit would go on to co-star in several films like “The Wash” , “Derailed” , “Full Clip , “xXx”: State Of The Union and the Eminem biopic “8 Mile” , just to name a few.

Xzibit has also appeared on several televsison programs including “C.S.I. :Miami , “Extreme Makeover” : Home Edition and “The Boondocks”.

Xzibit also had a guest slot on the legendary 2000 “Up In Smoke Tour” as an opening act for Dr. Dre , Snoop Dogg , Eminem , Ice Cube , W.C. , Kurupt , Warren G. and the late Nate Dogg.

Sept.19th – Jedi Mind Tricks released their 5th album “Servants In Heaven , Kings In Hell” on Babygrande Records , on this day in 2006.

The album would be their biggest-selling album to date and would include appearances by R.A. The Rugged Man , Sean Price , Block McCloud , Ill Bill of La Coka Nostra , Shara Worden of My Brightest Diamond and Chief Kamachi and Reef The Lost Cauze of Army Of Pharaohs.

The album also contained the hit single “Heavy Metal Kings”.

http://rapstation.com/td/DDHqvk6i

Sept.20th – Cowboy of The Furious Five was born Robert Keith Wiggins in The Bronx , New York , on this day in 1960. Cowboy has been credited with creating the term hip-hop while teasing a friend who had just joined the service , about the marching cadence of soldiers. Henceforth the ..hip…hop hip…hop….hip….hop…

http://rapstation.com/td/KDHqvk6i
    Sept.21st – U-Roy was born Ewart Beckford in Jones Town , Jamaica , on this day in 1942.

U-Roy’s distinctive toasting , rapping style over Jamaica’s new music style of the time in the early 1960’s called “Dub” , made him one of the forerunners of rapping and m.c.ing.

U-Roy worked with some of the biggest sound systems of his day in Jamaica like those of Sir Coxone Dodd , Duke Reid and King Tubby.

U-Roy’s 1st single ever released was 1969’s “Earth’s Rightful Ruler” , a duet with Peter Tosh.

U-Roy would release a slew of albums throughout the 70’s and 80’s , most notably 1975’s “Dread In A Babylon” , which featured one of his biggest hits “Runaway Girl”.

U-Roy’s latest album was 2000’s “Serious Matter”.

U-Roy , also known as “The Originator” was awarded Jamaica’s Order Of Distinction in rank as an Officer on Oct.15th 2007.

http://rapstation.com/td/QDHqvk6i

Sept.22nd – 2 Live Crew release their 6th album “Live In Concert” on Effect Records , on this day in 1990. It would be 2 Live Crew’s only live album ever.

http://rapstation.com/td/YDHqvk6i

Sept.24th – A Tribe Called Quest release their sophomore album “The Low End Theory” on Jive Records , on this day in 1991.

The album considered one of hip-hop’s finest ever is also considered one of the fore-runners of the hip-hop/jazz fusion movement although most of the samples used are from 1970’s funk records. Legendary jazz bassist Ron Carter however does appear on the album , setting a be-bop tone.

The album spawns some of hip-hop’s classic cuts like “Jazz”(We’ve Got) , Check The Rime” and the ultimate posse track “Scenario” featuring Leaders Of The New School.