Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Complex: The 100 Best Wu-Tang Clan Songs

Banned

another sad but true quote from the article:

"Disagree if you want, but the Clan might be one rap group whose audience failed them before they failed their audience. Did we, the masses, move on and leave the rebels from the slums of Shaolin to the devoted disciples?"

Quote Originally Posted by the silencer View Post
    plus I'm envious when i see folks making income off of writing about Wu-Tang....i do way too much of that shit for free to not get annoyed by it
    haha damn i feel you
    same goes for me
    i dont know how many cds bronze nazareth has sold in france but i like to think that a couple of them were purchased after reading reviews i wrote...
    and i actually BOUGHT those cds i reviewed. im not mad about it though, just showing love to independent artists who work their asses of...
    but those paid writers... arrogant ones at that... complex really arent the worst of them though (hiphopdx and rapreviews come to mind)

as for lists, well i have my own... which is kinda different of course...

STREET CORNER, by MANO

Peace CT

List isnt as bad as some make it out to be. Yeah we could have done without the RNB remixes but oh well. I was happy they included stuff like "Impossible", "Sunshower", "Semi-Automatic", "Hollow Bones", etc. My 2 main beefs are the inclusion of "Catalina" and leaving off "For Heavens Sake". Peace

Quote Originally Posted by ikke View Post
    -No Masta Killa
    Wow. 'No Said Date' was excellent. "Old Man" would have been the obvious choice.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotstheone View Post
    no Heaterz....automatically voids the whole list.

this feels more like a "look how many obscure Wu-Tang songs I know about" list than it does an actual top 100
    Truth.

Shaolin Master

Where is Rae's Rock N Roll???

Kidding....

Why the fuck do i have to click through the whole thing to read it. Fuck that...give me an actual list!
    It's the god, god.

Quote Originally Posted by diabolos88 View Post
    Wow. 'No Said Date' was excellent. "Old Man" would have been the obvious choice.

Truth.
    Actually, School would have been the obvious choice.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotstheone View Post
    no Heaterz....automatically voids the whole list.

this feels more like a "look how many obscure Wu-Tang songs I know about" list than it does an actual top 100
    true that

PRODIGAL SUN

No fucking way am I going through all that, just a list would be nice.

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow Daene View Post
    it seemed like they loaded up the first few albums up to ironman and set it to shuffle, threw in every 90s high profile r&b remix, added the singles and called it a list.

catalina though? catalina??
    haha

we need to get a list like this goin here among the true Wu disciples....

i know b-rock tried it but not nearly enough people voted on each song for it to be accurate....

Quote Originally Posted by theheavens View Post
    another sad but true quote from the article:

"Disagree if you want, but the Clan might be one rap group whose audience failed them before they failed their audience. Did we, the masses, move on and leave the rebels from the slums of Shaolin to the devoted disciples?"

not that I'd listen to anything a guy who writes for complex says, but this statement could be true depending on what he means by "their audience". if he's talking about the general hiphop audience then yes, they are fickle and moved on to whatever happened next. but if "their audience" is wu-tang fans, the diehards etc, it's the other way around. they failed their audience. or bobby digital and def jam and the failing loud records did.

Quote Originally Posted by the silencer View Post
    haha

we need to get a list like this goin here among the true Wu disciples....

i know b-rock tried it but not nearly enough people voted on each song for it to be accurate....
    I had more than enough data the second time. It was actually pretty accurate. My list kicks the shit out of this one.

Banned

not that I'd listen to anything a guy who writes for complex says, but this statement could be true depending on what he means by "their audience". if he's talking about the general hiphop audience then yes, they are fickle and moved on to whatever happened next. but if "their audience" is wu-tang fans, the diehards etc, it's the other way around. they failed their audience. or bobby digital and def jam and the failing loud records did.
    I think he meant the general audience...especially after Wu Tang Forever came out. they were hot the entire summer of 1997, and maybe in the fall, but by winter...most of their fans went missing. wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
    Actually, School would have been the obvious choice.
    How can I argue with reasoning like that?

naw they ain't fail their audience. wu-tang is forever. i don't know about anyone else but i still buy every single wu general album, not a single other album that ever drops do i put the $10 up for, but if it's wu, i purchase. and i'm never disappointed. i may not like an album as much as i'd hope, but it's still new wu music. and as long as that continues i'm gonna keep supporting. Digi Snacks was fucking fire. It was ridiculous in every way but it was fire. Whatever else albums people wanna throw out there, probably fire in my opinion. May not bump them often but I still show the respect for the continued knowledge dropping.

The mainstream audience however did dip out after Forever because honestly...and I hate using this argument but it's true....they are too stupid to be able to soak up all the knowledge on that double disc. "won't figure it out til the year 2 g"....yup, that album took a lot of listens to understand and even still there are new gems every time, so yeah the mainstream audience dipped, came back for a second here and there but been dipped since then. Whatever, rap changes and I love 90% of the mainstream acts out there right now, so I'm not knocking the "stupid people" who moved on to whatever became popular later, but the Wu still release quality music every single time.
    Last edited by buckshotstheone; 08-20-2011 at 12:08 AM.
    "We accept tires" - Cappadonna