Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Complex: The 100 Best Wu-Tang Clan Songs

The Wu Tangs hot streak ended because it was time, no group stays red hot on the charts forever, its the nature of the buisness, 90% of all music acts experience their most success with their first 2-3 albums and then fade out of the pop world into the middle with whatever core audience they were able to develop while they were on top........

Nothing they could have done would have changed that, they could have tried to keep up with the times and adapted their sound to please the No Limit & Ruff Ryders crowds in 98-99 but it wouldnt have worked, all it would've done is put off their core audience

All In all the Wu has a very strong cult base at this point and thats all a group can hope for going on 20 years in the game, the fact that there still here is a credit in itself, how many early 90's acts you think would sell their souls to be where Rae & Ghost are in 2011??

Quote Originally Posted by OntheHorizon View Post
    The Wu Tangs hot streak ended because it was time, no group stays red hot on the charts forever, its the nature of the buisness, 90% of all music acts experience their most success with their first 2-3 albums and then fade out of the pop world into the middle with whatever core audience they were able to develop while they were on top........

Nothing they could have done would have changed that, they could have tried to keep up with the times and adapted their sound to please the No Limit & Ruff Ryders crowds in 98-99 but it wouldnt have worked, all it would've done is put off their core audience

All In all the Wu has a very strong cult base at this point and thats all a group can hope for going on 20 years in the game, the fact that there still here is a credit in itself, how many early 90's acts you think would sell their souls to be where Rae & Ghost are in 2011??
    exactly....
    "We accept tires" - Cappadonna

If this site made a list, it would suck.

Because you guys would be all contrarion, and try to pull in more superfluous Wu-songs than Complex did. There'd be all this sh-t from Digital Bullet, Dopium, and No Said Date, at the expense of better songs from Tical, Return to the 36 and Ironman. There'd be all these 4 star songs from Killarmy, La the Darkman and Cilvaringz, at the expense of 5 star songs from Ghostface, Method Man and Raekwon.

Wu-Tang songs with R&B would automatically be cut, because they have singing, and singing is "gay." Even if it's a certified classic like the Ghost & Rae cut with Jodeci.

Also, the list would have a weird order, with less popular songs prioritized over more popular songs, b/c that's just how pretentious Wu-Hipsters roll.

You babies should be happy Complex even did a Wu-Tang list - especially one that so well represented Wu-Tang's best work. I hope in a few years Complex another one, and put "Gravel Pit" at #1, just to give you something to actually bitch about.
    Last edited by ShortyCoffeeStain; 08-20-2011 at 01:56 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotstheone View Post
    The mainstream audience however did dip out after Forever because honestly...and I hate using this argument but it's true....they are too stupid to be able to soak up all the knowledge on that double disc.
    well I agree with that part at least.

but not the part about "loving 90% of today's rappers." that's ridiculous.

after Ghost, Rae, Immortal Tech, Jedi Mind Tricks, and Jay Electronica.......there's a big drop-off

Jay Elecxpialidocious? Yeah remind me when his album is dropping again....

There were a few nice comments in that list, but it is way too heavy towards GFK (I'm not disrespecting Ghost, just saying the list was unbalanced) and isn't nearly as good as the Corp 101 list. Also, as everyone has said, one song per page takes page/adview optimization to an absurd extreme.
    swingin swords strictly based on keyboards

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShortyCoffeeStain View Post

Because you guys would be all contrarion, and try to pull in more superfluous Wu-songs than Complex did. There'd be all this sh-t from Digital Bullet, Dopium, and No Said Date, at the expense of better songs from Tical, Return to the 36 and Ironman. There'd be all these 4 star songs from Killarmy, La the Darkman and Cilvaringz, at the expense of 5 star songs from Ghostface, Method Man and Raekwon.

Wu-Tang songs with R&B would automatically be cut, because they have singing, and singing is "gay." Even if it's a certified classic like the Ghost & Rae cut with Jodeci.

Also, the list would have a weird order, with less popular songs prioritized over more popular songs, b/c that's just how pretentious Wu-Hipsters roll.

You babies should be happy Complex even did a Wu-Tang list - especially one that so well represented Wu-Tang's best work. I hope in a few years Complex another one, and put "Gravel Pit" at #1, just to give you something to actually bitch about.
    Actually we do have a list here and it's WAY better than this one and not biased at all. Try to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by criminal subliminal View Post
    There were a few nice comments in that list, but it is way too heavy towards GFK (I'm not disrespecting Ghost, just saying the list was unbalanced) and isn't nearly as good as the Corp 101 list. Also, as everyone has said, one song per page takes page/adview optimization to an absurd extreme.
    GFK is the best member in the group besides 'Rza's Vision" so I can see why he had a lot of tracks on this.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post
    GFK is the best member in the group besides 'Rza's Vision" so I can see why he had a lot of tracks on this.
    I agree GFK has had the best solo career and is one of the strongest in the clan, but I decided to count up the numbers on this list, and here's what I got:

Ghost - 28
    Rae - 11
    36 Chambers - 11
    Other artists featuring Wu members - 10
    Meth - 7
    GZA - 7
    Wu-tang Forever - 7
    Capa - 4
    ODB - 4
    The W - 4
    Non-album Wu - 2
    Other - 2
    Deck - 1
    RZA - 1
    Iron Flag - 1

Even though Ghost deserves to be at the top of the list, I think this is too unbalanced, and there are definitely some notable missing tracks and weird orderings.
    swingin swords strictly based on keyboards

Quote Originally Posted by ShortyCoffeeStain View Post

Are you a Complex writer?

Swollen Member

The list has some glaring omissions, but can't really argue with the top 3 tbh.
    The top 20 ain't too far off I reckon.
    I'd have put Protect Ya Neck number 1 though, but can't argue with them choosing Cream.

At least they didn't have Gravelpit number 1.
    Last edited by Krimewave; 08-21-2011 at 06:51 AM.

Swollen Member

link to number 1 for anyone who don't wanna trail through 100 pages:-

http://www.complex.com/music/2011/08...an-songs/cream

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Cream is obviously the best wu joint
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post
    Cream is obviously the best wu joint
    yup. defines the whole group as an outfit and a brand. In 100 years when someone asks "what's Wu-Tang" that is the track that will be played to give an example.

I'm at spot 44, but this is spot on as far as I'm concerned. I only hope The Man is included, but the way this is going it won't surprise me.

that list is in error and plain weird. i would put prolly every song from the 93 till forever minus most of odbs first album on that list period. i mean how is all of liqudid swords not on the listt all of tical all of iron man all of ob4cl on the lsit. that shit is just weird.