Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apollo Brown stealing from his teacher?

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

Default Apollo Brown stealing from his teacher?

i like Apollo Brown's music, the Gas Mask album was off the hook no doubt...

but this kinda shit seems shady as fuck to me and i gotta call a spade a spade...

first off, for those that don't know, Apollo Brown was once known as "Cheehf" a member of the Wisemen and learned everything about producing from Bronze Nazareth..
    from my interview with Bronze/K7 last year:

Bronze: As far as Apollo Brown, I taught him how to make beats, chop samples, pull out the basslines, etc. I gave him his very first program to make beats with, gave him the cool edit program he still uses to make beats with. I’m pretty sure he made the Gas Mask album with that program. He was once one of the Wisemen, back in the beginnings of Black Day and Wisemen Approaching but some ill things happened and we fell out. We’ve been reconnecting as of late, so look for some records in the future from us. He’s doing his thing and I wish that brother the best of luck. Oh, he did that Waters of Nazareth joint from back before The Great Migration too.
    it's funny cuz Apollo Brown never mentions that Bronze taught him everything about producing other than showing in his bio "high school classmate of Bronze Nazareth"

no doubt the dude has taken the lessons and become a really dope producer.... before the Apollo Brown days, he did this classic joint for Kevlaar:

anyways, i wonder if part of their "falling out" was Apollo having a tendency to blatantly bite from his teacher, cuz this shit just don't look good...

check it:

Why Me (Tears) prod by Bronze Nazareth
    http://www.mediafire.com/?33rn3mc1f7fo7hc

Hassan Mackey & Apollo Brown - The Note
    http://beastshare.com/6prm7coy0cxy

it's one thing to use the same sample for a beat, happens ALL the time...i remember hearing joints where 4th Disciple used a sample that Rza had previously perfected... but he would make a DIFFERENT beat

they've got similar styles (cuz Bronze showed him the ropes) and it's expected that they'll use the same samples occasionally but Brown takes the same joint and uses the same EXACT bars, essentially making the SAME BEAT with his own drum loop...

i dono, looks pretty shady to me, all things considered

The beats are very similar, because of the sample. There's still differences, apart from the drums. Bronze version has more vocal chops in them, but I prefer Apollos version because of the simple hard hitting drums.

I wouldn't say he stole from Bronze, but it's kind of sketchy to use the same sample as the person who taught you to make beats.
    "I hate them and I wish death among them!" - Mahatma Gandhi

wow i didn't even know that apollo brown was in wisemen. they do have a similar style

great thread Silencer... i always thought that Bronze Nazareth and Apollo Brown had very, very, very similiar styles to eachother. thx for enlighting me on that, i had no clue he was once in the Wisemen and learned some things from Bronze. there's of course always two sides of every story and maybe Apollo sees it completely different.

i recently did a Detroit Producers series with compilations for Apollo Brown, Bronze Nazareth and Black Milk and the king is coming soon. check them out @ my blog if you haven't already, of course no album tracks from the artist allowed

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

the king is coming soon?? haha
    Non Ignorants

RIP

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    great thread Silencer... i always thought that Bronze Nazareth and Apollo Brown had very, very, very similiar styles to eachother. thx for enlighting me on that, i had no clue he was once in the Wisemen and learned some things from Bronze. there's of course always two sides of every story and maybe Apollo sees it completely different.

i recently did a Detroit Producers series with compilations for Apollo Brown, Bronze Nazareth and Black Milk and the king is coming soon. check them out @ my blog if you haven't already, of course no album tracks from the artist allowed
    Thanks, I'll peep that... Black Milk got heat too

I definitely like what u got going on over at your blog, keep it up

I been liking everything Apollo been dropping last year or two but i didn't know he used to fuck with Bronze either.

Quote Originally Posted by saverio View Post
    the king is coming soon?? haha
    haha, translation "Dilla comp is coming soon" - i actually just uploaded the Dilla comp a few minutes ago

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

by far love black milk, bronze and dilla and all have distinct sounds but dilla is the foundation of the d sound

Old Head, Young Shoulders laolu's Avatar

Bump...

apollo and black milk holdin the d down the most of all i think

no disrespect to bronze, he's dope as hell, but he doesn't have drums like them. besides that I wouldn't say they're that much better... just seems they mix n master their shit a little cleaner as well
    Non Ignorants

RIP

it's 100% disturbing how obsessed the thread-starter is with Bronze Nazareth

being a fan is one thing, but taking hours to write reviews on every song on every album he's ever done, knowing every little detail about his life and upcoming projects, and now attacking one of his former students who's getting his OWN shine...

like angry said, i can see you sitting sandwiched between Bronze and Kevlaar in a sweaty tour-van giving interviews with a great big smile, ecstatic that the god Bronze is sweating on you

no hate to you or Bronze Naz, it's just creepy lol

Old Head, Young Shoulders laolu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saverio View Post
    apollo and black milk holdin the d down the most of all i think

no disrespect to bronze, he's dope as hell, but he doesn't have drums like them. besides that I wouldn't say they're that much better... just seems they mix n master their shit a little cleaner as well
    With all due respect, Bronze has better drums than Apollo Brown...

In terms of production (as of late) Black Milk > Apollo Brown > Bronze Nazareth.

Last edited by laolu; 04-24-2012 at 04:27 PM.

DuncanHine Monument Cakes CEITEDMOFO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the silencer View Post
    i like Apollo Brown's music, the Gas Mask album was off the hook no doubt...

but this kinda shit seems shady as fuck to me and i gotta call a spade a spade...

first off, for those that don't know, Apollo Brown was once known as "Cheehf" a member of the Wisemen and learned everything about producing from Bronze Nazareth..
    EHHH APOLLO ALREADY WINS CAUSE HES BLACK AND BRONZ WANTS TO BE BLACK /THREAd

when you focus on things like this you lose sight of the big picture, such as bronze nazareth makes great records, hes an all rounder.

apollo is full time on beats and yeah hes dope but 95% of his beats sound real similar, bronze can at least switch up when he wants, you rarely hear an apollo brown beat that doesn't have the exact same rhythm. hes only been working for a few years and already i know what one of his beats is gonna sound like before i push play.