Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sly Stone is living in a van down by the river?

Default Sly Stone is living in a van down by the river?

Sorry to hear.

Some rock stars make headlines when they're having trouble building mega-million-dollar dream homes (like The Edge, who wants to construct a massive Malibu estate), but funk pioneer Sly Stone doesn't have that problem: About 30 miles east of the U2 guitarist's controversial compound, Stone has been living in a small camper parked on a residential street in the rough Los Angeles neighborhood of Crenshaw. One of music's most influential legends is on the edge of homelessness..

How did Stone go from the Beverly Hills mansion he once owned to a Winnebago? A combination of bad business decisions, a greedy manager, and decades of drug use that ate into his savings. Amazingly, Stone is taking his troubles in stride, telling the New York Post, "I like my small camper. I just do not want to return to a fixed home. I cannot stand being in one place. I must keep moving." Still, the musician says he wants to recoup the cash he lost over the past decades..

Sly and the Family Stone, the band Sly formed with his siblings Freddie and Rose, were one of the most influential groups of the Woodstock era, seamlessly blending elements of funk, R&B, psychedelic rock, and soul into chart-topping hits like "Family Affair," "Everybody People," and "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)." They released landmark albums like 1969's Stand and 1971's There's a Riot Goin' On. Stone's group changed the trajectory of American music, and everyone from Michael Jackson and Parliament/Funkadelic to Prince and Red Hot Chili Peppers were inspired by his work -- Tupac Shakur and the Wu-Tang Clan even sampled his songs. However, by 1987, Stone ditched the music industry completely..

The Family Stone were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993. At first, Sly didn't appear to be in attendance, but just as the Family were about to accept the honor, their singer suddenly emerged, made a few comments, and disappeared from the stage. A similar incident happened in 2006 at the Grammys' all-star tribute to Sly and the Family Stone: After missing rehearsals all week, Sly popped up mid-performance, sang "I Want to Take You Higher," then quickly bailed. To say Stone is eccentric is an understatement: He's spent much of the last decades as a recluse, scarcely performing in public. However, money problems have forced him out of hiding..

Stone's drug use slowly eroded his health and wealth -- he was busted for cocaine earlier this year, so those problems persist -- but his business decisions are mostly to blame for his current living situation. In 1984, three years after the Family Stone released their final (until this summer) album Ain't But the One Way, Sly foolishly sold the publishing rights to his catalog to Michael Jackson and his Sony ATV group for $1 million, much less than it was worth. In 1989, Stone signed with manager Jerry Goldstein, who the singer is now suing for $50 million. Sly claims Goldstein withheld 20 years of royalties from him. .

The Post writes that Stone has been subsisting on the handouts of neighbors, which is surprising since Stone has been more active with performances in recent years. He delivered a (disastrous) gig at the 2010 Coachella festival, toured Europe in 2007, and even released a new album, I'm Back... Family & Friends, earlier this summer. However, money might not be Stone's only problem: The Post reports that Stone has become increasingly paranoid, afraid that both the FBI and assassins are pursuing him. The newspaper snapped a photo of Stone toting a Taser and wearing a silver helmet and a white jumpsuit that looks a lot like a straitjacket. .

"My music is a format that will encourage you to have a song you won't forget. That's why I got so much money, that there are so many people around, and that's why I am in court. Millions of dollars!" Stone told the Post, adding he's eager to collaborate with Lady Gaga and today's artists. "But now please tell everybody, please, to give me a job, play my music. I'm tired of all this s---, man.".

-http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifier/89928/funk-legend-sly-stone-is-living-in-a-van/

Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

Helluva song title. But even an astronaut like George Clinton has more business sense.

The Smell of The Future LORD NOSE's Avatar

should read what George said about Sly - i'ma go find him

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by check two View Post
    "My music is a format that will encourage you to have a song you won't forget. That's why I got so much money, that there are so many people around, and that's why I am in court. Millions of dollars!" Stone told the Post, adding he's eager to collaborate with Lady Gaga and today's artists. "But now please tell everybody, please, to give me a job, play my music. I'm tired of all this s---, man.".
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

thats fucking crazy,decisions decisions decisions

The Smell of The Future LORD NOSE's Avatar

dude is too smart for himself

-

LOL@Edgar Erebus hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Yeah it's sad Sly Stone blew all his money, did drugs and he's homeless. I don't feel sorry for him.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

I can't feel sorry for a man who snorted his lottery ticket away.

-

LOL. His band member Cynthia Robinson recently died and she played a trumpet. My dad has Sly and the Family Stone's Stand album and I like the album pictures. Cynthia is on the album cover playing a trumpet. I like the songs Stand and Everyday People on the album. The Jackson 5 also did Stand. Sly Stone's real name is Sylvester Stewart. He has a brother and a sister that were in his group and they don't want him living with them LOL. That's sad but he has nobody to blame but himself for wasting his money and not having a house or apartment.

The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

been digging into the first five albums. some great stuff on there

too bad he's not been doing well

when it comes to new recordings he never gets past the demo stage

he performed in my hometown inside a historic castle (!) a few years back but I decided not to go cuz of his terrible live reputation back then (he was always strung out and not functioning properly on stage). buddy of mine went and was sorely disappointed

I hope dude pulls through. he seems to remain optimistic about the whole ordeal though
    Retired.

-

Larry Graham has been doing well since he left the group and he started his own group in the 70's called Graham Central Station. I like his song One In A Million that came out in 1980. He's wearing too many chain necklaces on the album cover hahahahahahahahahaha. He also used to play in Prince's band.

yeah, I got a few Graham Central Station albums too, they're all right. I should revisit them

a lot of Prince fans hate Larry's guts cuz they think he converted him to a Jehova's Witness, which led him to not (?) undergo surgery for his hip problem. which in turn might have led him to taking pain killers

the truth is though that George Benson, who recorded an album at Paisley Park (Prince's studio) talked to Prince about becoming a Jehova's Witness like himself years before that, in the nineties
    Retired.

-

I didn't know Larry Graham and George Benson are Jehovah's witnesses. I knew Michael Jackson and his mom Katherine are Jehovah's witness.

-

I'm about to listen to Sly And The Family Stone's Everyday People and Stand songs on Youtube. Love those songs. The Jackson 5 also sang Stand and Arrested Development did a remake of Everyday People. I love Arrested Development's video version.

that AD song was cool

I can see George Benson serenading this to Prince back in the day. you know how these religious types have suppressed feelings

Retired.