Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Method Man Says GZA & RZA Wrote Most Of The Rhymes On Ol' Dirty Bastard's "Return To

Default Method Man Says GZA & RZA Wrote Most Of The Rhymes On Ol' Dirty Bastard's "Return To

This came up on my Facebook news feed today through HipHopDX
    Now I'm not jumpin on meth's dick when I say this but when I listen to the album I always thought like Dirty must be on some wild drugs writing some of those crazy ass wacky lyrics - those bits must of been his own rhymes but then I hear other verses and I'm like, how did dirty find the time to write those dope lyrics when he's always runnin around drunk or drugged or foolin around lol
    I can't really explain it well but that's kinda what I mean

http://www.hiphopdx.com/m/index.php?s=news&id=17303

Method Man recently broke down his top 25 most essential songs for Complex.com, speaking on how he met up with Notorious B.I.G. and how he initially didn’t want to release “All I Need” as a single. But one of the most dynamic revelations was that Ol’ Dirty Bastard’s Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version was penned mostly by RZA and GZA.

Speaking specifically on his feature “Raw Hide,” Meth explained why RZA and GZA had to take on rhyme duties for the 1995 LP. “The majority of the verses on that album are old RZA rhymes and GZA rhymes,” he said. “’Approach the school, 9:30, you’re late,’ that’s RZA’s shit. I heard that shit when I was 14 years old. That whole, ‘Easy on my balls, they’re fragile as eggs,’ niggas said that in a rap battle in fucking 1989.

“Dirty took all their shit and made it his own and GZA ain’t say shit,” he continued. “Most of [Dirty’s verses] was GZA’s shit. I remember GZA and ODB got in an argument one night and GZA was like, ‘Nigga most of that shit you say on your fucking album is mines anyway!”

He did state that ODB wrote some of the songs, including “Brooklyn Zoo,” and stated that he himself wrote the first verse on Ghostface Killah’s “Cherchez La Ghost.”

Read the full feature at Complex.com.
    "Read the sign hip-hoppers"

not surprising at all.
    Christianity = White Supremacy

ODB had lots of personality but its obvious that lyricism wasn't his forte. Color me not surprised.
    Love thy neighbor

^old news homie

all these hip hop sites are taking things out of context. it's common knowledge that gza wrote a bunch of songs for him. i don't think meth was trying to be disrespectful.

So many bodies on my microphone the shit's haunted

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Being that Ol Dirty Bastard was always wasted I guess they would have had to; it still bangs

Ever since Wu-Tang FOREVER came out, "Dog Shit" always seemed sketchy to me too. The song is awesome but I've never believed Ol' Dirty Bastard's lyrics were written by him. The part where he switches up and goes "Leave a dog alone, nothings gonna stop me from burrying my bone..." It's not in Ol' Dirty Bastard's normal rhyme pattern and its real cleevr. Dirty was cool but he never rapped like that. There's even an interview on German TV on YouTube where Method Man raps the "Dog Shit" verse to ODB and ODB is kinda lost, as if he hadn't learned it yet. Method Man smiles because he wrote it, not ODB.

BASCO

i never really did the knowledge on his album like that so all this shit is new to me.

I thought everyone here knew this, I've seen it mentioned on here before that GZA wrote most of his rhymes. Stuff like 'Diesel' Dirty wrote himself though.
    She talked, I listened, She listened I spoke
    We walked arm-in-arm and split a Cherry Coke
    Spit religion and politics, Sega and chess
    Roots and culture, hip-hop, skunk and sess
    She caught me sneakin' peeks at her breasts
    While frontin' name droppin' connects

Yeah this aint nothing new, you can tell the rhymes that they wrote for him and thats mostly the story rhymes.. This still makes it cool ODB is still the man and for me it makes the album plus the wu even more sicker for it, Like thats family sharing there styles and techniques ..Shit I miss ODB , Nigga Please is a an album that stillneeds more props he wa son fire on that one trust!

he wrote the first verse of cherchez laghost ?? he never said that !!!

Veteran Member

Well, i think it's normal, snoop wrote for Dre at some point and now Snoop himself admits that some younger guys are writing for him.
    And as blaksteez said, this even makes the wu sicker and shows us how much brotherhood, sharing and being a family was real to these guys, something we all should try and emulate.
    WU-TANG FOREVER.
    GHANA REPRESENTING

had it been any other member of the Wu, like if Ghost had written all the verses on "No Said Date", I would have been fucking pissed but ODB was so fucking original and had such a crazy style that whatever he said, he made it 100% his own and extremely RAW, DIRTY and STINKIN'!!

in fact, i'm listening to "Return..." right now, masterpiece

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

i feel how claaa does

besides dude was LIVING FREE like most of us NEVER will, didn't have much time to write rhymes I bet
    Non Ignorants

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    had it been any other member of the Wu, like if Ghost had written all the verses on "No Said Date", I would have been fucking pissed but ODB was so fucking original and had such a crazy style that whatever he said, he made it 100% his own and extremely RAW, DIRTY and STINKIN'!!

in fact, i'm listening to "Return..." right now, masterpiece
    this right here is the truth

you could get any ghostwriter you wanted in the game, Ol Dirt still make it sound like his own shit