Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reason Vs Protools Vs FL Studios

Default Reason Vs Protools Vs FL Studios

peace to all you producers

i was wondering in your opinion what is the best beat making software out of these three and what iyo are the pros and cons of each?

Pioneer Of Cerebral Music The Prime Sithesizah's Avatar

FL Studio .. need I say more? lol ...

Reason and Pro Tools doesnt give off the creativity level that FL Studio does!!
    The Prime Sithesizah [Facebook/Myspace]

n e one with fruity loops can become an overnight producer...

SkamPoe at instagram @kinghippoe
    FOLLOW!!

well i personally use FL 9 and i think its the most user-friendly DAW out there. i could work around it with my eyes closed - i made 6 beats yesterday alone with it. its hard for me to give any cons because i either dont know any better or i can pretty much execute any beat idea i have in my mind with it.

ive dabbled with Reason - i think the general consensus is that Reason is the more advanced DAW but i cant really tell you by experience. all i know is its harder to learn than FL. I guess i havent invested too much time in it though.

i never used any other DAW. And imo "VSTs" should almost be more of a concern than what beat program you use - because DAWs all essentially do the same thing, it just depends on what YOU do with it.
    some unknown producer landed a FL beat on ghostfaces last album...and i was reading about a techno producer overseas who got famous in a matter of months that strictly uses FL even though it tends to get a bad rep

Pioneer Of Cerebral Music The Prime Sithesizah's Avatar

Amen @ both above!!

But take my resume' and Lord Zero's resume' of work for example (production-wise) lol ..

Pro Tools .. honestly, reminds me of Cakewalk in a sense (imo)

Reason .. ehhh, tried it .. not my cup of tea!!

Being that Ive tried all of these softwares, after 8 years behind these FL boards ... that should say enough ... but dont knock them! Who knows, you might master one of the other softwares and spew out something TOTALLY OUT OF THIS WORLD, man!! ..
    The Prime Sithesizah [Facebook/Myspace]

true

SkamPoe at instagram @kinghippoe
    FOLLOW!!

Old Head, Young Shoulders laolu's Avatar

Ableton>>>

I can see what Propellerhead tried to do with Reason but I do not like it...

funkmaster general pRoTeChTyAnEcK's Avatar

love FL cause it was the original program I started back in high school. did several beat tapes on it.

Reason has become my favorite software. all I had to do really was watch a bunch of youtube vids to figure it out. Takes time to develop skills with it just like everything else imo.

Just hooked up a bunch of vsts to my new Pro Tools set up. Hoping to make something as soon as I learn the program.
    Last edited by pRoTeChTyAnEcK; 12-14-2011 at 04:04 PM.

thanks to all who respond...salute

i was actually familiar with fl studio had it along time ago on my laptop but i never fool with it its actually a working thought i have on producing...just something to do

i fuck with pro tools & it a powerful daw I see it as more recording & mixing you can build a beat in there but it is also can be use with other daws through rewire which opens the door for a shit loads of options it can be complicated shit is deep

for beet production wise it really goes to preference, FL studios is the easy to learn, I like Reasons & it takes more effort to learn but I feel its more powerful DAW new version comes with record & a huge mixing console shit can get pretty complex too, As FL is a loop base DAW with vst options that can be limitless & prove to be just as good to compete with any other DAW in the market

Daws?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Guillotine View Post
    Daws?
    Digital Audio Workstation

Quote Originally Posted by Jehovallah Daprophett View Post
    n e one with fruity loops can become an overnight producer...
    and sound WACK AS FUCK in the process due to lack of experience

Death Poet

I've personally never even used FL. So I can't really comment on it.

Reason is a great program. It has everything y0u need and even the processing is pretty ill. I have never used it with Record but I ReWire into Pro Tools. Or Logic as well. But Pro tools is my shit. I make 95% of my beats in Pro Tools. A lot of people don't like it for producing. I use it for producing, recording, and mixing. Its stock VSts aren't the greatest, but Reason helps, just need some descent refills. I also got NI Komplete 7. Which is fucking amazing. Pro Tools is definatley the best recording and mixing out there.

For those that are not that educated on the DAWS avaiable for "producing" (beatmaking), Reaper was voted the best DAW for producing. Logic is awesome for midi. Reason is a aswell but with out Record or rewire all it is a midi program. Pro tools kills the mixing & recording Logic is pretty close behind and Digital Performer. This is all from experience.

I'm sure FL is a great program but after learning the industry standards, it just seems really amateur to me. But the bottom line is If you master any program or are just really comfy with specific programs Cool Edit or Garage Band can be the best programs out there for you.

software is only as good as the person using it and there understanding of its workings. using VSTs and what not can make a better sound

i use FL, some use reason, some use Logic, some Protools.

in the end, nothing beats straight up hardware (MPC, SPs and analog mixers) at least that how i view it. those machines have way more power in them then a PC software does