Thread: Cocaine losing its dubious status as drug of choice

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

Default Cocaine losing its dubious status as drug of choice

Cocaine is losing its dubious status as drug of choice
    Domestic use is down, forcing cartels to turn to new revenue streams
    seattlepi
    By DAN FREEDMAN, HEARST NEWSPAPERS
    Published 04:50 p.m., Sunday, December 18, 2011

WASHINGTON — Once the glitterati's drug of choice, cocaine appears to have become a has-been drug, forcing drug cartels enriched from trafficking the white powder to find new markets and diversify their illicit products.

Between 2006 and 2010, domestic cocaine use declined 37 percent, according to the latest National Survey on Drug Use and Health.
    That's no blip on the screen.

Workplace drug tests proving positive for cocaine went down 65 percent in the same time frame, according to data provided to the government by a major testing firm, Quest Diagnostics Inc.

And while the government-funded 2011 "Monitoring the Future" survey found teens consuming greater amounts of marijuana, cocaine rates plummeted to their lowest levels since the 1980s.

The numbers "should be heralded as basically very good news about cocaine," said U.S. drug czar R. Gil Kerlikowske, director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy.

Use of crack, the smokeable rock-crystal form of cocaine, is only a fraction of what it was in the 1980s and 1990s when it devastated inner-city neighborhoods.

Despite some regional and socioeconomic variations, "the crack epidemic, as it was, appears to be over," said Dr. Westley Clark, director of the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment, a part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

"Have we made progress? Yes, but there's still demand (for cocaine)," he said. "It's not zero."

Cocaine's lowly status in the drug world's pecking order is a far cry from its high point in the 1980s when Colombian "cocaine cowboys" wreaked havoc in the streets of Miami and spawned a cutting-edge TV show, "Miami Vice."

Experts point to several factors in explaining the decline in use. Colombia supplies more than 90 percent of the cocaine to the U.S. market. The Colombian government's crackdown there has reduced cocaine production by 60 percent since 2001.

Accordingly, the price of cocaine has gone up since 2007 while purity levels have gone down, according to Drug Enforcement Administration data.

Also, decades of drug education and prevention programs are having an effect, though it is unclear whether other drugs such as prescription pain killers, stimulants and "synthetic'" marijuana (marketed as "Spice" and "K2") are simply taking the place once occupied by cocaine.
    The sum total seems to be having an effect on the Mexican cartels that move the vast majority of cocaine across the U.S.-Mexico border. Cocaine seizures along the border fell 28 percent between 2006 and 2010.

There is vigorous debate in federal law enforcement circles on what the seizure rates say about the cartels' drug strategy, whether higher numbers simply reflect tougher law enforcement and whether falling numbers signify a shift away from a particular drug like cocaine.
    While seizures alone are not proof, officials believe flagging down fewer and progressively smaller loads of cocaine shows the marketplace downturn is affecting the cartels.

"I clearly don't think it's a fluke," Kerlikowske said in an interview.
    Whatever the case, cartels appear to be adjusting their business model in true corporate fashion by adding new revenue streams.

Methamphetamines, for instance, are now part of the traffickers' inventory. While seizures of cocaine along the border were in decline, those for methamphetamines (as well as the cartels' traditional cash cows, marijuana and heroin) went up.

In addition, the cartels are diversifying into counterfeit computer software and pirated DVDs, as well as stolen car parts and human trafficking, including for sexual exploitation.

Further south, Colombian and Venezuelan traffickers have expanded cocaine exports to previously untapped markets overseas. In the past two years, huge cocaine shipments totaling 1,870 pounds destined for Europe, Asia and Africa have been intercepted in Nigeria and Ghana. In October 2010, Australian police seized 1,012 pounds of cocaine from two vessels.

Some cases involving DEA agents overseas read like they were ripped from the pages of a thriller novel. Three al-Qaida associates were arrested in Ghana in December 2009 and sent to the U.S. to face charges of transporting cocaine through West and North Africa, with the proceeds destined for al-Qaida affiliates and FARC, a longtime narco-terrorist guerilla army.

U.S. officials remain cautious about whether the cocaine-use downturn is here to stay.

"When it comes to drugs, the U.S. has a bit of a memory problem,'" Kerlikowske said. "We don't always recognize the dangers of something, and lo and behold it comes back."
    We do it for the people.

'

so whats next then? bath salts?

they should have compared the figures to meth and pain killers like they did with marijuana

I think opiates (painkillers) is what is popular right now
    We do it for the people.

Probably the recession. Niggas is getting high on jenkem.
    "I hate them and I wish death among them!" - Mahatma Gandhi

Veteran Member

Nice sig

shaolin shadowboxer Frank Drebin's Avatar

I've never been big in the drug scene but the few times I've had coke have been amazing and even got to the point where i was hoping there would be some at parties and such. If u haven't tried it it's amazing. if i was a druggy it'd b my drug of choice
    Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Allah is my bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodman View Post
    Can’t stand Cilvaringz, by the way.... It’s never us coming with the gimmicks. It’s always on the outside, a "B" Wu guy or somebody like that coming with some crap that’s just so gimmicky. It makes you scratch your head and say, ‘Why Wu-Tang?’ when it’s not Wu-Tang.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    That's a guy in those pictures who's a woman?

Banned

it will always be a rapper's drug of choice though. Raekwon's legacy was built on coke stories

Coke is Fuckin crazy I had a coke blunt on accident nd i was high forever .. k2 gets u high for like 15 mins nd I haven't even had any weed lately Thts had me high for hours .. pills have always been where the moneys @ tho ... These southern rappers got every1 tryna roll on e nd snort xannys.. I'm wit it.

idiots

SkamPoe at instagram @kinghippoe
    FOLLOW!!

7 Golden Vampirez Poison Flowerz!'s Avatar

not surprised! hadd 2 grams saturday and felt like it was a waste.. they are cutting it more and more and half thee time it isnt rerocked right.. lucky to evenn get a bag that gets you numb and if it does its probably cut with lidocaine.. coke dealers need to shape up

Quote Originally Posted by Poison Flowerz! View Post
    not surprised! hadd 2 grams saturday and felt like it was a waste.. they are cutting it more and more and half thee time it isnt rerocked right.. lucky to evenn get a bag that gets you numb and if it does its probably cut with lidocaine.. coke dealers need to shape up
    lol we bought a gram and a half on saturday from a guy we just happened to run into at the club. one of my boys I was rolling with was locked up with him for a DUI charge

he had some pretty good shit. $40 a gram

the shit was some of the better coke we had.

it was rocked up and everything and you could taste that it wasnt cut without too much bullshit

we did that shit all day saturday after partying for two days straight
    We do it for the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Killbot View Post
    Coke is Fuckin crazy I had a coke blunt on accident nd i was high forever ..
    hahahaha i remember the preemos

we use to smoke that shit senior year in high school at lunch time and go back to class fucked up LOL smh

I wouldnt smoke coke now though. fuck that.
    We do it for the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehovallah Daprophett View Post
    idiots
    lol anything you would like to share skampe?
    We do it for the people.

Veteran Member

Watch this video!!!