View Poll Results: Which was the worst decade, musically?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • 50's

8 15.38%
  • 60's

0 0%
  • 70's

2 3.85%
  • 80's

15 28.85%
  • 90's

3 5.77%
  • 00's

24 46.15%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Worst Decade For Music?

PRODIGAL SUN

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoGnom View Post
    How many of you who voted the 00's can honestly say you like more music from the 50s or 80s than the 00s? What the fuck were you listening to the last decade?? You can say what you want about the overall quality about mainstream music lately, but no other decade comes close to the diversity we're seeing nowadays. If you can't find new quality music, regardless of what genre your looking for, it's your own damn fault. The same couldn't be said 60 years ago.
    Good point. The reason i voted 00' as the worst was because i couldnt think of any memorable songs off the top of my head like i could the other eras. Of coarse 50's and 60's i couldnt either, but i know they have better music than 00'. Ive bought more albums in 00' than any other era, it doesnt mean that i really like the songs coming out then as much as the other eras. So possibly my vote was premature and in 10 years ill find 00' to be better than some.
    Last edited by BrokenWrists; 12-28-2011 at 12:50 AM.

Whoever voted for 90's wtf

90's had plenty to offer in a lot of genres Of music, I voted for 80's.
    Btw nice to see 60's has no votes yet, that's the way it will likely stay anyone who votes for 60's doesn't even deserve the gift of hearing haha
    Last edited by Martial-Expert; 01-01-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Wow, I thought the 80's was gonna dominate this poll by a huge margin. I think a lot of people are voting from a hip hop or even pop music perspective, in which case yes, the 2000's is a fair choice. But like that other dude said, there is plenty of good 2000's music out there if you look for it. I personally don't really listen to modern music at all. I'm a 60's/70's fan. But a lot of music I heard through the 2000's sounded pretty decent. I'm talking about proper bands here. Not the pop garbage they play on commercial radio.

But the main thing is that the 2000's did not have a general offensive sound or vibe like the 80's did. Though there was some great music in the 80's, the general sound of that era was horrible and has aged terribly. I would almost say it's inarguable that music from the 80's has aged worse than any other period of music. The only other period you could really argue has aged worse would be the 50's and maybe the early 60's.

It's most noticable when you actually listen to the discography of a band or artist who has been around since the 60's or 70's and through to the 2000's, and their 80's albums are the only unlistenable work they've put out. I've encountered a few bands/artists like that.

Also, it's not really relevant to the discussion, but the look of 80's music, like the presentation of musicians, was also absolutely horrible and unforgivable. Again I would say inarguably worse than any other period.

Thelonius Monk and Charles Mingus alone are enough to rank the 50s lowest on the list.
    Last edited by phadde96; 01-01-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Whoever voted for the 90's should smack themselves

I voted for the 2000's, could be just me getting older but Fuck if every Genre of Music didnt start to suck about 6-7 years ago

So much shit falls into 2 categories, either everyone sounding the same, or cats going way too far into the fruitcake zone to sound diffrent

You know the 2000's Suck when Kanye West and Jack White are viewed as our biggest Icons

9 people said the 80s. When Hip hop was born, and MJ created Thriller....yeah...''Real bad decade there'' numb nuts

Avant-garde

this is the dumpest poll i've ever seen. i mean seriously? ya can't so simple just say this decade was better than that. every one of them has it's own uniqueness.

way too subjective

Veteran Member

lol @ 80s
    this forum is a joke

The Thrill of It All spammy sosa's Avatar

I don't listen to the 50's much but it had good jazz.

I used to listen to 60's and 70's music when I was younger - The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Kinks, David Bowie. There were good psychedelic and progressive rock bands that came out. Krautrock was also enjoyable to listen to and bands started to get more electronic and experimental during this time. Punk bands emerged. Soul musicians like Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield were good.

The 80's and 90's had my favorite bands - Pixies, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, The Replacements, Talking Heads, The Smiths, Cocteau Twins, Pavement, Yo La Tengo, Sleater-Kinney. Also rappers - A Tribe Called Quest, Digable Planets, Souls of Mischief, The Pharcyde, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap. Post-punk and alternative/indie rock were my favorite genres. Hip Hop is enjoyable. I didn't like most of the New Wave bands though.

The 00's was weak. Alternative/Indie rock was just not as good as the 80's and 90's. The 10's is better in hip hop than the 00's already - Lil B, Spaceghostpurrp, ASAP Rocky, Main Attrakionz, Odd Future. Future Garage is good. Pictureplane and Crystal Castles are some of the music I also enjoy right now. I don't think alternative/indie rock will ever be as good as before.

Yeah.
    Last edited by spammy sosa; 05-26-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Avant-garde

Quote Originally Posted by infinite vagina View Post
    The 00's was weak. Alternative/Indie rock was just not as good as the 80's and 90's.
    Are you serious? In the zeros Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, Neutral Milk Hotel, Morphine and some others of the best alternative/indie rock bands put out works (under an obvious evolution of the whole music compared to what was released the past two decades) technically at the same level if not better than what was previously released.

The 10's is better in hip hop than the 00's already - Lil B, Spaceghostpurrp, ASAP Rocky, Main Attrakionz, Odd Future. Future Garage is good.
    Last edited by WooHa; 06-23-2012 at 04:32 AM.

Radiohead are horrible.

The Flaming Lips are horrible.

Neutral Milk Hotel are horrible.

The 00's still had shitty bands like Arcade Fire, The White Stripes, The Shins, and a lot of others. Modest Mouse also became bad after The Lonesome Crowded West.
    Last edited by spammy sosa; 05-26-2012 at 10:48 PM.

Avant-garde

I didn't know that you were the stupid of the forum but after your three last posts in this thread, i finally realized it. Sorry for the misconception

I'm not saying the entire 00's was shitty. It had some good stuff.

All these decades were amazing. Each decade musical output has snowballed. The most recent decade was easily one of the best. Out of the options listed i guess i'd have to say the 50s is the weakest. With the 60s or 80s or 00s being the strongest.