Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: c7 pres. KILLAH PRIEST - "HEAVY MENTWO" (The Demos)

Default c7 pres. KILLAH PRIEST - "HEAVY MENTWO" (The Demos)

i got the idea of making a thorough Killah Priest "Heavy Mental" demos compilation after that recent thread with the snippet reel i posted. i hope it's ok with the mods although this makes the third KP thread on the first page but this place needs as much serious discussion as possible. this compilation features 10 alternatives, scrapped, extended or original mixes and songs recorded for "Heavy Mental". the rar. file also features the 6 minutes Snippet Reel and two 30 seconds snippets for the songs "Day Of The Prophets" and "Quiet Weapons 4 Quiet Warz".

01. "Blessed Are Those" [Original Mix]
    The original "Blessed Are Those" was for the longest supposed to be the one we'd hear on the album instead of the minimalistic, but still very atmospheric and great, remix we now hear on the LP. For this version underrated producer Y-Kim makes great use of an Al Green sample over the same drums that really beefs up the track. Unfortunately, Green refused sample clearance of the song for the reason of the Killah part of the artists name. According to K.P. this was one of the last songs recorded for the album and the first verse also received the "Quotable Of The Month" in The Source Magazine back in '98. This mix appeared on Y-Kim's producer compilation "Monster Reborn".

02. + 03. "Moanin" (Ft. Killa Sin) / "Street Opera" (Ft. Hell Razah)
    Both these songs appeared on the "One Step" CD-single and 12" and I have a strong feeling that if there were more room left on the album, both these songs would appear on it. They are both incredible and would fit right in; Killah Priest puts on a memorable performance and a rare verse by Killa Sin makes the song even more superior. 4th Disciple produced both of these joints and once again proves why he might be the most underrated producer out there.

04. "Wolf In Sheep's Clothing"
    "Wolf In Sheep's Clothing" is a rather unknown joint that was released on a limited white label 12" with an atmospheric beat that might very well be another 4th banger with an addictive trumpet hook running throughout over the kicking hi-hats. Featured on the song are also Shanghai the Messenger who also provided sung vocals on "Atoms to Adam" and "Mystic City".

05. "Devil In Descize"
    This originally appeared on a rare promo copy of 4th Disciple's debut album "Steel Valley Project Vol. 1". With it's somber grand piano, floating flute, cuts and Shanghai the Messenger heartfelt lyrics, it was one of the absolute stand-outs on 4th's EP. Killah Priest kicks his "usual" metaphors where he tells the story of how the most trusting person can turn out to be a devil in disguise.

06. "Life Is A Gamble"
    After Wu-Tang Clan's epic multi-platinum selling "Wu-Tang Forever", the Clan and its affilliates like Killarmy, Sunz Of Man and LA The Darkmanall embraced the high quality The "W" represented. On LA's classic '98 debut, 4th Disciple produced a banger titled "Fifth Disciple". But the sinister steet sonics of 4th's beat was originally in Killah Priest's possession as a demo song recorded for his debut undder the title "Life's A Gamble". It's very interesting to hear the contrast between Darkman and Priest's versions.

07. "Mind As A Weapon" (Ft. Hell Razah)
    Hell Razah and Priest were both members of Sunz Of Man and there voices and lyrical themes has always gone together perfectly. "Mind As A Weapon" is a typical late '90s Sunz joint, produced by 4th Disciple, that remained unreleased for several years and when it finally surfaced the sound quality wished much to desire. Still, the production and both rapper's vocals and lyrical themes makes it a well worth listen.

08. "Gallery (One Step)"
    "Gallery" was the original demo version of "One Step", the opening track on "Heavy Mental". This version was originally recorded during a Sunz Of Man session which explains why Hell Razah also participated in the session (on the hook). Popa Wu also appears on this version and Tekitha's part is slightly alternative. Both the beat and verses have slight differences too.

09. "King & The Ceasar (B.I.B.L.E.)"
    "B.I.B.L.E." of course appeared originally back in 1995 as a bonus track on The GZA's "Liquid Swords". It's maybe the #1 trademark Killah Priest song so it's nothing strange that he wanted to include it on his debut album as well. The one that ended up on "Heavy Mental" is basically identical to the GZA version but the demo, which I guess was initiated '96 or '97, features a different intro, a different hook and some slight changes to the beat.

10. "Crusaides" [Mix #2] (Ft. Tekitha)
    The 4th Disciple produced "Crusaides" appeared on the album as a short bridge between "It's Over" and "Tai Chi" and with it's spacey atmosphere it worked really well. Originally "Crusaides" was a full song rather than an interlude, recorded and mixed in at least two different versions besides the one we hear on the LP. The original version ended up way too long and featured the entire Sunz Of Man and Rose Cartel and a total of 12 emcees according to Priest. This version has however never leaked but the mix featured here is an extended take on the album version, running for about four minutes with Priest and Tekitha exchanging prophetical words.

CHECK IT OUT @ THE LOST TAPES

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

nice, another fuckin gem

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

dopeness

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Feet View Post
    nice, another fuckin gem
    this
    Non Ignorants

RIP

thanks, claaa! good idea!

PRODIGAL SUN

wish i could give rep. cause i would lol
    CHAMBERMUSIK RECORDS/ CHAMBERMUSIK SPECIAL PRODUCTS DOES NOT ENDORSE ANYTHING SAID OR WRITTEN BY THIS MESSAGE BOARD USER NAME!!!

"Sign Of The Times" coming soon

Lookin forward to this. I got the One Step CD and love Moanin and Street Opera. Totally with you on Y-Kim being underated.

OK - listened to this - Love Blessed are Those. A very funky version. The alternate BIBLE is nice too. And the One Step

Get into this peeps. Nice one Claaa. And seriously if anyone has never heard Moanin and particularly Street Opera then even more reason to get in there.

Might dust off Heavy Mental for the first time in a while - an almost scary thought - can get 'lost' in that lp.
    Last edited by New Hills 36; 02-21-2012 at 05:52 PM.

great one claa!! Peace

youdaman

is the sound quality proper??

PRODIGAL SUN

anyone know whatever happened to shanghai the messenger???
    CHAMBERMUSIK RECORDS/ CHAMBERMUSIK SPECIAL PRODUCTS DOES NOT ENDORSE ANYTHING SAID OR WRITTEN BY THIS MESSAGE BOARD USER NAME!!!

"Sign Of The Times" coming soon

This ill, thnx Claa

Quote Originally Posted by Tecknowledgist View Post
    youdaman

is the sound quality proper??
    yeah the sound quality is very good for the most part, the ones that are a little weaker are the two demo sogs "Gallery (BIBLE)" and "One Step" but they are nothing close to unlistenable.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stylez View Post
    anyone know whatever happened to shanghai the messenger???
    yeah i always liked him alot, he and Priest had great chemistry. maybe the had a falling out or he just decided that music wasn't for him.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Corny Nuh! Capitalizing Cilvaringz's Avatar

I got all these in full

ok sorry, Im being a piss

Cilva: out of the ten songs mentioned in the OP, isn't "Crusades" the 12 minutes version the only one that's not in full here? or do you mean the snippest i included as a bonus like "Day Of The Prophets" and "Quiet Weapons..."?

repped n thanks

"Can't believe you on the canvas, I'm just throwin jabs" - Inspectah Deck

Blueminati