Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The early 90's New York and Hip Hop !

Banned

true. but let's face it. MCs had knowledge of self and were smart back in the day. now it's skinny jeans and popping champagne. can't deny the 5% influence. the fact that Rakim is considered the greatest MC of all time is enough to warrant discussion. but that's whatever

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

I mean, but Hip-Hop started off as party party, so I don't see what's the big problem with it now, it's the same thing with better production. My Main problem with Hip-Hop today (besides alot of fake dudes in the game) is that lyricism is basically dying out, it seems the quality of lyrics dropped so bad, and there just aren't any real lyrical cats in this new era and we have to face it. And that's one of the main reasons undeground hip-hop is sooooooo wack right now because everyone wants to prove they're the most lyrical instead of just doing them.
    It just annoys me when cats like Waka, Wiz, J.Cole, etc.... get shitted on for being themselves.....yeah they may be wack as shit, but they're being themselves. At least they're not being fake like the Ross, Plies, etc.....and that's what hip-hop is all about, being yourself. Do you want these cats spitting about gunz and drugs, then there will be more fake niggaz in the game, You/we may not like the shit but it is what it is......
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

The Smell of The Future LORD NOSE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theheavens View Post
    I'm not saying Busta and them are being real when they say it, but they do say the shit. Jay Elec, on the other hand, is a full-fledged Five Percenter. he posts 5% shit on his twitter all the time and even did "missionary work" with the NOI, like a fucking mormon would do

J Elect is like a clumsy thief - cause he be droppin mad jewels - and he sincere with that shit - he's seems to me to be reppin NOI though which is the father of NGE - but he's so street with it that his tactics come across like NGE -

good thread Sunny

while the 90s time period will forever be my favourite, the 80s was the most pivotal time for hip hop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Feet View Post
    good thread Sunny
    Peace

while the 90s time period will forever be my favourite, the 80s was the most pivotal time for hip hop.

and even though i was around in the 70's..listening and watchin, i didn't really get to study and understand the foundation of it all until the 2000's - now that i heard Caz,JDL,Lil Rodney C,Sha Rock, Raheim, Mel,Moe Dee,etc.....i appreciate Rakim,Krs,Kane,G.Rap etc...even more - i listen to Run Dmc today and i can point out lines they got from Cold Crush when back in the 80's, you couldn't tell me shit about Run and them - and if i was in the midst of it all and didn't see it, i know that there are so many more confused listeners out there - tha Foundation is very very important

Quote Originally Posted by SUNNY WINTERS View Post
    Those of us who were writing Plus degrees in the 80's didn't see Wu as a 5% group - it's just that the world bugged out off of their lingo and wanted to know what the hell they was talking about - Rakim was the only one that Straight up repped NGE
    Public Enemy was on an NOI vibe Kane put the lessons in his rhymes - X - Clan was on some Tribal shit - GangStarr was on some Street Knowledge Shit - BDP covered Everything but was more influential than anyone else
    i remember a older brother from jersey telling me this

Sunny do you remember when rappers like Schooly D, Nefertiti (she had a cd called life and was road manage by Professor griff) emerge how did nyc react to this guys

also my question i have been having for some time is who would be consider the first underground rapper talking about cats that came out before Immortal technique, jmt, lcob, etc.

all the time i here that hip hop was designed as a sort of counter point to disco at the time. would you agree with that Sunny?

and how was hip hop really first accepted by people? or was there any sort of watershed reaction to groups like Sugarhill Gang?

while NY is considered the foundation and beginings of hip hop, did Philly not play a big role in pushing hip hop further, Schooly D and them?

Fucking great thread sunny, I hadn't a Claus where you were going with it at the start.

Agree with everything you have said, I done a good bit reading up on the beginning of hip-hop and find it very interesting. One book I thought was outstanding was "yes yes y'all - the oral history of hip-hops first decade", all the originators take take part in telling the story of how hip-hop began in the 70's so your getting it straight from the source. Great fucking read.

Another book I enjoyed was "can't stop won't stop - a history of the hip hop generation" that focuses more on the political and social issues that led to the rise of hip-hop rather than the music itself. Both books are well worth getting

Your fav. artist's artist fatboybrandon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Durag View Post
    the political and social issues that led to the rise of hip-hop rather than the music itself.
    ^was the point I attempted to make with the videos I posted on page 1. Thank you for pointing out those books Durag, I'll check them out.

Drug dealers from the crack era inspired Hip Hop, there wouldn't be an Only Built For Cuban Linx or Paid In Full without them.

^ cheers, I'll have a look at those videos, I just kind of skimmed through the thread.

Yeah you definitely should "can't stop won't stop" is a more complex book, but it's a great read, I must actually read it again. "yes yes y'all" has grandmaster caz, busy bee, grandmaster flash, raheim etc along with the breakers and graffiti artists of the day telling stories of their careers and what went on back at the block parties up to the rise of run dmc.

Some great pictures in it too.

Might throw on some old school hip hop, don't know if any of you remember memory man's "Respect the Arcitects" with all the live tapes from the 70's and early 80's for download a few years ago? Best thread on this site ever.

Might throw on some old school hip hop, don't know if any of you remember memory man's "Respect the Arcitects" with all the live tapes from the 70's and early 80's for download a few years ago? Best thread on this site ever.
    if you still have those and could send em my way. i would be grateful cause that sounsd dope as fuck

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Guillotine View Post
    i remember a older brother from jersey telling me this

Sunny do you remember when rappers like Schooly D, Nefertiti (she had a cd called life and was road manage by Professor griff) emerge how did nyc react to this guys

Schooly D was respected

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Guillotine View Post
    also my question i have been having for some time is who would be consider the first underground rapper talking about cats that came out before Immortal technique, jmt, lcob, etc.

when you say underground, are you talking about people who were conscious and putting guidance/messages in their lyrics ?

all the time i here that hip hop was designed as a sort of counter point to disco at the time. would you agree with that Sunny?

to a point yeah - but Hip Hop was inspired by disco DJs also - DJ Mario (BronxDale Projects) played a big role in establishing Hip Hop and he gave Bam his start - Hip Hop is a child of the BlackSPades Street Gang from BronxDale which later became Zulu - Bam was a Baby Spade

and how was hip hop really first accepted by people?
    It Wasn't - Hip Hop was at first a derogatory title for us - adults would say "turn that hip hop a do bop shit off" - they'd call the cops and get the jams shut down often - our jams in the parks often lasted to 5am in the morning
    100 park was right across the street from me and Kenny Ken was usually on the tables - system was sick and you could walk 7 blocks aways and still feel the bass - it wasn't until Whodini came out that adults really started to pay attention to us - Melle Mels "The Message" and Sugar Hills Rappers Delight primed them for that though

or was there any sort of watershed reaction to groups like Sugarhill Gang?
    what is watershed ?

while NY is considered the foundation and beginings of hip hop, did Philly not play a big role in pushing hip hop further, Schooly D and them?

Philly got respect and was one of the first places outside of NY that Hip Hop was pushed

Quote Originally Posted by Durag View Post
    Fucking great thread sunny, I hadn't a Claus where you were going with it at the start.

Agree with everything you have said, I done a good bit reading up on the beginning of hip-hop and find it very interesting. One book I thought was outstanding was "yes yes y'all - the oral history of hip-hops first decade", all the originators take take part in telling the story of how hip-hop began in the 70's so your getting it straight from the source. Great fucking read.

Another book I enjoyed was "can't stop won't stop - a history of the hip hop generation" that focuses more on the political and social issues that led to the rise of hip-hop rather than the music itself. Both books are well worth getting

http://wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114757

these could hold my attention for hours

http://www.thafoundation.com/interviews.htm

very important info ^^^

The 90's

heres the full documentary! props to whoever it was to put me on to it!

-

Sunny Winters, good topic. Mobb Deep didn't come out in the 80's. Their first album was Juvenile Hell and it came out in 1993. The 90's was the best era for rap. 80's era had some good rap too. Run DMC, Whodini, LL Cool J, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Doug E Fresh, Biz Markie, Kool G Rap and DJ Polo, Kurtis Blow, KRS One, Eric B and Rakim, EPMD, NWA, Ice T, Too Short were my favorite 80's rappers. I'm so glad rap music was invented because if r&b would've been the only music for blacks, i would be upset because a lot of r&b sucks except the 70's and 80's funk bands like Cameo, Dazz Band, Kool and the Gang, Lakeside, Zapp, Parliament/Funkadelic, Midnight Star, The Gap Band, Con Funk Shun, Slave. I love funk music because funk bands did a lot of party music.