Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The early 90's New York and Hip Hop !

watershed, like a definitive moment or turning point

but you answered the question with another response

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    Sunny Winters, good topic. Mobb Deep didn't come out in the 80's. Their first album was Juvenile Hell and it came out in 1993. The 90's was the best era for rap. 80's era had some good rap too. Run DMC, Whodini, LL Cool J, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Doug E Fresh, Biz Markie, Kool G Rap and DJ Polo, Kurtis Blow, KRS One, Eric B and Rakim, EPMD, NWA, Ice T, Too Short were my favorite 80's rappers. I'm so glad rap music was invented because if r&b would've been the only music for blacks, i would be upset because a lot of r&b sucks except the 70's and 80's funk bands like Cameo, Dazz Band, Kool and the Gang, Lakeside, Zapp, Parliament/Funkadelic, Midnight Star, The Gap Band, Con Funk Shun, Slave. I love funk music because funk bands did a lot of party music.

Mobb Deep's early demos were recorded in the 80's.

They formed the group when they were like 13.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    Thanks for your hate hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

The Smell of The Future LORD NOSE's Avatar

we heard hit it from the back around 89

the beat had us buggin

Your fav. artist's artist fatboybrandon's Avatar

A great moment, this was when Big L got discovered by Lord Finesse on 125th St. in Harlem. I think these lyrics by L still stand out today plus you can hear the hunger in his delivery.

I'm glad to have a few people from the tri-state who killed it in the 90's that are now following me on Twitter:

Lord Finesse
    Wise Intelligent
    U-God
    J-Live
    Larry-O (of Real Live, K-Def's cousin)
    Beatminerz Radio
    Duck Down Records
    De La Souls Dugout Radio

The Smell of The Future LORD NOSE's Avatar

one of the biggest deals in the 90's

this album was flawless

Quote Originally Posted by SUNNY WINTERS View Post
    Schooly D was respected

when you say underground, are you talking about people who were conscious and putting guidance/messages in their lyrics ?

to a point yeah - but Hip Hop was inspired by disco DJs also - DJ Mario (BronxDale Projects) played a big role in establishing Hip Hop and he gave Bam his start - Hip Hop is a child of the BlackSPades Street Gang from BronxDale which later became Zulu - Bam was a Baby Spade

It Wasn't - Hip Hop was at first a derogatory title for us - adults would say "turn that hip hop a do bop shit off" - they'd call the cops and get the jams shut down often - our jams in the parks often lasted to 5am in the morning
    100 park was right across the street from me and Kenny Ken was usually on the tables - system was sick and you could walk 7 blocks aways and still feel the bass - it wasn't until Whodini came out that adults really started to pay attention to us - Melle Mels "The Message" and Sugar Hills Rappers Delight primed them for that though

what is watershed ?

Philly got respect and was one of the first places outside of NY that Hip Hop was pushed

http://wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114757

these could hold my attention for hours

http://www.thafoundation.com/interviews.htm

very important info ^^^

not just that but who were those artist(s) that did there thing independently withou the need for a major record deal