Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: On some real shit......

Default On some real shit......

What started out as a response in another thread led to a full-blown thread.

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    i really don't like Mac Miller's music but i think it's nice to see one of these younger new and popular artists at least paying respect to those who came before him. that's more than you can say for most of these new guys
    Word.

I was hatin' on Mac Miller (and a lot of other dudes) mainly because of this message board groupthink mentality we get stuck in so often, but i got into his shit recently and gave it a fair chance. I can honestly say it's refreshing. some of his shit is typical mainstream BS, but even his more recent material has a lot oldschool undertones which I love to hear.

He's not the most technically proficient MC, but I'm learning to get over that these days. I've realized, looking back, that most of my favorite records from back in the day weren't as "lyrical" as I always claim them to be. Some of the best hip-hop records of all-time were average lyrics over incredible beats and when I hear shit like the following couple of tracks, it brings me back to that.

This whole "Killah Priest is the greatest ever! So lyrical! J. Cole is trash, stupid lyrics" mentality that runs rampant here is something probably almost every Wu-head can relate to (including myself) but it gets old very quickly. By locking yourself in that box, you're robbing yourself of the opportunity to discover a lot of new music.

For instance, I spent an entire year shitting all over Joe Budden, despite never actually listening to his music. Why? Because I'm a Wu-Tang fan, because I'm a Canibus fan, because I like to think that my favorite rappers are better than everyone else. Then I heard Budden's verse on the Shady 2.0 cypher and realized that he's a good rapper. Period. I wasted a lot of time and energy hating on his music for no reason. (I have to specify that I said "his music." He's still a chump IRL)

"Positive energy activates constant elevation." The more time you spend being negative about cats like Lil' Wayne and Drake, the less time you have for discovering talented artists you haven't heard of. I wanna say peace to fatboybrandon for his constant positive attitude on this board. He's probably the most knowledgable hip-hop head on this board, and you'll never see him post any kind of negativity. There's a direct correlation between the two.

I don't need every rapper to sound like Rakim these days. Of course we want them to, because the sanctity of hip-hop is kept alive by talented MCs, but I'm starting to branch out and appreciate the fact that you don't need to be a great MC to make great music. As a result, I've begun to enjoy hip-hop more these days.

It goes beyond hip-hop. I've been on some "country music is trash" shit my entire life... that's just the next thing I'm gonna step my game up in.

It's called diversity. Try it out.

DuncanHine Monument Cakes CEITEDMOFO's Avatar

FIRST TRAK SOUNDS PEACE BUT ITS MORE OF MAC MILLERS CRACKER IMAGE/ SMILEY BRACES MOUtH

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

I agree my nigga. I was in this mind state from like 05-09. Alot of cats on here just trap themselves in this box. It's sad. They're quick to shit on new Mc's because of whatever reason, not giving anyone a chance. They want hardcore/lyrical rhymes but they want real rap. What I'm saying is dudes like J.Cole, Wale, etc... get shitted on for not being hard, but if they were hard they wouldn't be themselves. Hip-Hop is all about self expression. Waka flocka is hard but of course he's lyrically wack. The mentality of this website kills me, I'm disappointed for being in this box for those 4-5 years i was in it. I skipped over alot of good music from 04-09 cause I was stuck strictly on Wu-Tang and they were dropping average after average album during those times. Now I still think Mac Miller is wack as fuck. But i agree with the overall message of this Topic.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

this is basically why my ipod has so much max b.

yeah, these aren't lyrics i'm gonna tattoo across my chest, but shit got a knock to it and you can definitely ride to it.

i still cant get into mac miller, but for me it's because of his voice & flow and the fact that alot of the beats he uses are too chirpy for my taste. regardless though, i get what you're saying.

i think the best example of the "don't need to be a great emcee to drop great music" archetype in recent years is fiddy cents. his appeal has always been flows and hooks. 50 aint dropping concept joints, but he doesn't need to. even the biggest immortal tech youtube revolutionary gets hype off this shit:

[unrelated note -- fifty needs to get back on this kind of shit asap]

another one is wiz khalifa.

theres more. i definitely feel what you're saying about enjoying hip-hop more when you're open to other styles. everybody does their own shit, so rather than holding somebody to your own expectations it's a lot easier to accept what somebody's putting out and see if you can vibe with that shit

WIZ, MAC MILLER, CANIBUS, JOE BUDDENs AND WALE ARE WACK
    Last edited by CEITEDMOFO; 03-11-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CEITEDMOFO View Post
    WIZ, MAC MILLER, CANIBUS, JOE BUDDENs AND WALE ARE WACK
    Ok, well that's personal preference.

Shit like Wiz Khalifa (before Rolling Papers), ASAP Rocky & Dom Kennedy are niggaz I can listen to when I don't want to listen to my usual hardcore/lyrical rhymes. And when I say lyrical I don't mean conscious cause I can't listen to Talib, Mos, or any of them other dudes without wanting to cut it off after track 6-7.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Asap can't stay on beat. Did Max B have anymore people killed lately?

Quote Originally Posted by check two View Post
    Asap can't stay on beat. Did Max B have anymore people killed lately?
    Have you heard Long Live Asap? If you haven't I can see why you would say that.

3 Piece & A Biscuit Crown Fried Patron's Avatar

Mac has a few joints in his catalog that are good but overall I don't listen to his music like that. I do give him credit for acknowledging some of the elders in Hip Hop, I think a lot of kids these days should do the same.

I've always respected Budden's lyrical abilities. I think he was out of line talking about Method Man like that over some stupid Vibe bullshit but he's always had pen game. But, his beat selection is terrible (Although, his bitch selection is incredible). If you're going on his debut album and "Pump It Up," you're only getting a small glimpse what he's capable of. His Mood Muzik mixtapes have some heat in there.

Banned

this thread is is in violation....

how you gonna say ON SOME REAL SHIT... and jump into save mac miller mode!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

its like saying uwe boll doesnt suck and deserves a pass if he name drops scorcese and kubrick and is a really nice guy.... HE FUCKING SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how the fuck is your biggest influence BIG L and you sound like mac miller!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

kids music stinks...

threaded anklet, wood bracelt, red cup, abercrombian bitch myspace geek rapper....

UNBEARABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dont dickride and jump ship if primo works with kids like mac miller for attention... ill say primo is desperate, and continue shitting on mac miller... i wont reanalyze wack shit from a cosign... hmmm.. preeem sees something, ima have to reevaluate this bum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

honestly one of the worst rappers of all time....

niggas shit on vanilla ice...

but vanilla ice had niggas open with his dance skills... even after the fraud was exposed...

this dudes got NOTHING other than internet gas and a brain dead following... and a gang of desperate aging washed up acts looking for a life raft scared of swimming out on their own in this big new world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! those songs posted are awful, something to play when your parents take away xbox and tell you to go to your room....

go lsiten to some old heavy d or will smith or something man...

technically proficient!?!?!?!??! NO.... did they come with flavor!?!!?!??!? YES

the bar is so low today... anyone gets a pass... everyone gets a second chance... and a third chance....

you can be a nothing and stick around... as long as you got zombies behind you.. thats the internet....

and then you break into defend joe budden mode...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have hated that nigga since his debut album was gassed by def jam... most hyped def jam new artist of all time... got the push ahead of every artist on the roster at the time and FAILED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! def jam froze him like a TV dinner after he went running to XXL talking about "the label confused the ppl with joe budden and buddens they couldnt find it in stores..." one letter fucked his whole shit up why you think i call that nigga buddens?!!?!?!??!?!

Quote Originally Posted by angry! View Post
    and then you break into defend joe budden mode...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have hated that nigga since his debut album was gassed by def jam... most hyped def jam new artist of all time... got the push ahead of every artist on the roster at the time and FAILED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! def jam froze him like a TV dinner after he went running to XXL talking about "the label confused the ppl with joe budden and buddens they couldnt find it in stores..." one letter fucked his whole shit up why you think i call that nigga buddens?!!?!?!??!?!
    word, joe budden's commercial career has been a string of failures. we're talking about music tho.

Banned

yeah... so am i...

his music is TRASH...

he had a smash single plugged in a summer blockbuster... one of the biggest songs that year... no one paid any attention to the guy... just blaze coulda made that shit pop just as big with bangs or eli porter on top..... he was in the RED after all that money def jam spent building his bum ass... dust head with current event punchlines that cries about his bitch... thats joe buddens music in a nutshell....

lost every battle hes ever been in... also started every battle he lost...

dropped a WACK debut... got dropped....

sat on his hands for years...

released a wack series of mixtapes with horrible beats, wack song concepts, and piss poor sound quality centered around his depression..... built an internet audience consisting of virgin geeks that chatted with joey on webcam about his bitch.....

he has no notable songs... zero classic moments.... lacks vocal quality and polish.... his most famous song is some bullshit marathon rap half dissing a bunch of rappers that will always be better than him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if eminem never sobered up and felt sorry for royce.... buddens is droppign mood muzik 12 through a voice box depressed for his virgin geek fans on datpiff.... crooked i joell and joe owe royce their lives for knowing eminem....

i remmeber when some nigga on a BICYCLE tried shooting joe buddens in jerz....

BAHBAHBAHBAHBAHBAHBAHBAHABHABHABHABHABHBWHBHWBAHBA HBAhb

AND NOW HES STALKIN HIS EX GIRL WHEN SHE BANGS NEW YORK KNICK PLAYERs

BUDDENS STALKIN HIS GIRLS TIMELINE

cosign angry! on this one

this thread is a failure...talking about "trying out diversity" and "stepping your game up" posting mac miller and brad paisley

you have some audacity trying to be pompous while endorsing some garbage like that and accusing people of being sheep for not liking it..lol ...this is the internet

i would bet money i have more "eclectic" musical tastes than you and that junk you posted is terrible...the beats on the mac miller songs you posted were cool, but his rapping reminds me of this:

(somebody will say this doesn't suck)

sorry, try again.
    Last edited by Dr. Simon Hurt; 03-11-2012 at 11:10 PM.

LOL BRAIN AUSTIN GREEN RAPs CLASSIC