9. Clap Ur Handz
    10. Dirty Water
    11. One Blood
    12. Papercutz

--------------------------------

I been listening to this recently i think its quite a good album, 7

FRESH FISH

Default Re: K-Os - Joyfull Rebellion

Hot album, respect for the review. K-Os is too much underrated.

8/10

Wild like rock stars who smash guitars!
    -------
    R.I.P. J Dilla a.k.a. Jay Dee (1974 - 2006)

separatin game from truth

I could see an album like this being slept on by a lot of cats on this forum because it's not 100% pure hip-hop (I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing - it's just a matter of preference)... me personally, the more that an album blends genres, the more I tend to like it.

That said, I love this album. To me, even though the sound is not necessarily just "rap", the message is overwhelmingly "hip-hop", if that can be used as an adjective. K-os refuses to follow any mold that doesn't appeal to him, and that shines through in both lyrics and beats. I picture him sitting in the studio like "fuck it, if I want to sing I'm going to sing, if I want to talk about something I'm going to talk about it". He makes music based purely on his own inspiration. And the result is, well, joyful rebellion. It's music that's inspired enough to be joyful, and different enough to be rebellious.

Lyrically, the album is introspective enough so that you feel like you get to know the emcee, but also objective enough that you get a fresh perspective on the industry and the world in general. The beats range from raw and fresh (eg. Crabbuckit, listen to the beat closely - there's more there than I originally thought) to purely melodic (eg. Crucial).

If you've heard this album and didn't think much of it, listen to it again!! It took me a while to get into it, but it was definitely a rewarding wait.

If you haven't heard it, download a couple of tracks then get out and buy it!!

9 out of 10. Peace.
    Free from the mold, breaking the distance/
    A cause to face fears fraught with aching persistence...

-Arcane

http://arcanum.dmusic.com

Good stuff, Clap Ur Hands should be longer

"This is my book, take a look, see if it grabs your attention, with a hook, the queen took the rook, into a new dimension" Tajeco

they're 13 tracks man, 13 being 15 moinutes long with 3 hidden tracks in it...

but anyways, i liked it a lot, and his message, a true dude.....10/10

Amazing album, with about five or six singles released in Canada. For the k-os fan who wants more, there's a track called "Neutroniks" included on the Canadian version of Joyful Rebellion or the International version of his last album "Exit", and that's got an old school feel to it, samples "Jam On It".
    His lyrics are clean, and most of the music was done with live instrumentation. It might not be for everyone, but you'll find a huge blend of music like Rock, Jazz, Latin, Reggae, anything that he felt like doing. Since he can rap and sing, some compare him to Wyclef Jean, Mos Def or Lauryn Hill...but I think he's got his own thing going for him. I don't think this album has flaws...10/10.

incredible album, this guy is so refreshing and original. love the way he mixes song and rap, i'll be bumpin this and Atlantis Hymns for Disco all summer.
    9 / 10 ! !