Thread: GZA - "Victim" (thoughts / love / hate)

Default GZA - "Victim" (thoughts / love / hate)

I'm listening to "Beneath the Surface" right now, been a while.. i personally always loved this album, from the lyrics and GZA's performance, to the guests, to the production, to the overall mood of the disc and even the cover art which i thought was amazing. some people don't feel like this though and thought it had way too much filler (huh?!)

one of the tracks i've seen catching most flack over the years is "Victim". a song i always liked a lot, i don't know what's wrong with it really? do you mislike it just because it have a girl singing a hook on it LOL.. GZA has an amazing verses, Njeri is dope and the production really adds to the concept. there's absolutely no wrong with this track imo, i have never skipped it and probably never will. it fits on the album too.

the only song i was dissapointed in was "Stringplay", especially in the shadow of "Shadowboxin'". it sounded a little too happy-go-lucky to me but even that has grown on me, lyrically it's HOT!! GZA was on fire throughout the entire "B.T.S." and "The W" sessions.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

i think GZA's verse on "Victim" is real visual also, if i close my eyes i can see the shit happening like a movie.

"The young is lost at their own cost, dreamin'/
    Screaming how they never hold positions that's demeaning/
    Brothers of murder victims share the same grief/
    The elderly shake their heads in disbelief/
    And no relief came till I aimed and blast one shot/
    And left my name...... THE GZA!"

whatever happened to Njeri, i remember reading something a long time ago about her being affilliated with some pretty big musicians but can't remember who. maybe Jermaine Dupri or Irv Gotti? what's the word?

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

i think she had a kid

this song is dope. i don't think there's a weak verse on the album, even dreddy's (every verse i spit gets mastered and promoted lol)

always thought this album was great. a classic to me. not a fan of the skits but they don't drag on
    Non Ignorants

RIP

Used to hate it, sounded too viva tv like for me if u know what i'm sayin', but it grew on me over the years.

i love it
    I'm the Greatest Scientifically Inclined Mind Since Einstein!!!!

Shaolin Master

Shit's ill. My second favorite GZA album.

PRODIGAL SUN

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    whatever happened to Njeri, i remember reading something a long time ago about her being affilliated with some pretty big musicians but can't remember who. maybe Jermaine Dupri or Irv Gotti? what's the word?

she was signed to MCA for a year or so was in 8 mile then left the label and dropped her debut herself. she actually had 2 or 3 children. she's insanely ill on the mic and cool as fuck too. she's on my album and hopefully she can be on more of my projects in the future
    CHAMBERMUSIK RECORDS/ CHAMBERMUSIK SPECIAL PRODUCTS DOES NOT ENDORSE ANYTHING SAID OR WRITTEN BY THIS MESSAGE BOARD USER NAME!!!

"Sign Of The Times" coming soon

love that track. Could have done with a 2nd GZA verse to make it perfect - but a really great track on a really great lp

Hip Hop Fury is a top 10 Wu-Tang posse cut, beat-wise it's an absolute neck breaker.

Victim isn't the best song, but it definitely doesn't ruin the LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stylez View Post
    she was signed to MCA for a year or so was in 8 mile then left the label and dropped her debut herself. she actually had 2 or 3 children. she's insanely ill on the mic and cool as fuck too. she's on my album and hopefully she can be on more of my projects in the future
    great news, thanks for that.. looking forward to hearing her on your project. how was her album then, did the production live up to her lyrical skills?

Quote Originally Posted by New Hills 36 View Post
    love that track. Could have done with a 2nd GZA verse to make it perfect - but a really great track on a really great lp
    co-sign on GZA second verse

this album much like tical 2000 was held back by dumbass skits.

victim is a cool album cut where GZA paints a nice picture of growing up trife in the hood. i would never skip it.
    Christianity = White Supremacy

BTS one of my favourite Wu albums period.

Victim is a joint to put on late at night and zone out with imo. visual shit that GZA is always on point with.

title track
    amplified sample
    crash ya crew
    feel like an enemy
    high price, small reward
    the outro

bangers for days. like C7 the only track i didnt care for was Stringplay.

also Allah Math was super on point with his beat on this album

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

I think u could say GZA was approaching his prime on this album..

Criminally underrated record but it's loaded with dopeness

Of all the Wu shit that came out in that wonderful year of 99 (Clientele being the most heralded), BTS is one of the best gems

This album only marginally grew on me. I never thought it was a bad album per say, it just failed to fully connect with me. Album cover is dope though.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Corny.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.