Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online insults would be a crime under Arizona bill ?

Default Online insults would be a crime under Arizona bill ?

Distasteful comments and online insults are a mainstay of many social networks and online comment boards, but a new bill passed in Arizona could send people who "annoy or offend" to jail for up to six months.

House Bill 2549, which had bipartisan support, passed in the state's legislature and is awaiting one final vote on a minor "technical change" before the bill is sent to Gov. Jan Brewer.

The bill's sweeping language would severely inhibit First Amendment rights, David Horowitz, executive director of the Media Coalition in New York City, told ABCNews.com.

"Even in talk radio, saying 'I know this will offend my listeners' is a common practice. It's a tradition, speech that challenges the status quo," he said.

Horowitz said everything from Rush Limbaugh calling Sandra Fluke a "slut" on his radio show to Sen. Al Franken's book, "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot" could be viewed as criminal acts if the bill becomes a law.

The bill states it would be a class one misdemeanor for anyone to "terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend" through electronic and digital devices. It does not provide definitions of the terms and what would be considered annoying or offensive.

In a letter to the governor, Horowitz urged a veto "to allow legislators to craft a narrower bill that addresses their concerns without infringing on the right of free speech."

He said her office acknowledged receiving the letter and said it would include it in a pack of materials for the governor to review before she makes her decision.

The governor's office said it would not comment until the legislation reached Brewer's desk.

State Rep. Steve Farley, one of the co-sponsors of the bill, said the intention is not to stifle free speech, but to protect victims of stalking and bullying.

"It doesn't mean that the person is instantly going to be fined or put away," Farley told ABCNews.com. "But if the judge determines it relates to other circumstances in the case then they can use this as another tool to make that decision."

Including Arizona's existing law, 38 states have enacted legislation against electronic bullying, according to the Cyberbullying Research Center.

"I'm a defender of the Constitution like anyone else, but the First Amendment doesn't give you the right to harass or terrorize someone," said Justin Patchin, co-director of the Cyberbullying Research Center. "This certainly doesn't or wouldn't restrict one's freedom of speech. If it does, it will be overturned."

Patchin, who primarily studies cyberbullying in the adolescent community, said he has heard from an increasing number of adults who have been victims too and welcomes the legislation.

"We need to step back and realize there is some harmful stuff that is said out there," he said. "And it really needs to be stopped."

-http://gma.yahoo.com/annoying-offending-language-online-crime-under-arizona-bill-171544046--abc-news-topstories.html

SkamPoe at instagram @kinghippoe
    FOLLOW!!

Terry Cloth Rudolph Joint Sky Blue Bally Kid's Avatar

Ahhhhh, no Ceited or Fagry for up to 6 months

When I'm writing in my room

It's like a child that's fighting in the womb

- KP -

'

yea that's not gonna pass. ever.

Usually the pre-pubescent lil faggoids talk the most shit online.

Don't penalize the rest of us because parents don't handle these kids more.

We should go back to the old school neighborhood rules where if the neighbors saw your kid acting like a punk in the street, they had the authority to bust that ass.

I personally would be setting a lot of lil bastards straight if that were still allowed.
    Last edited by Squidgy McGubbins; 04-03-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    Thanks for your hate hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

[QUOTE=Dan Conner;2209208]Usually the pre-pubescent lii faggoids talk the most shit online.

We should go back to the old school neighborhood rules where if the neighbors saw your kid acting like a punk in the street, they had the authority to bust that ass.

I personally would be setting a lot of lil bastards straight if that were still allowed.[/
    QUOTE]

SkamPoe at instagram @kinghippoe
    FOLLOW!!

BITE YO FUKIN HEAD OFF JIGSAW45's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Conner View Post
    Usually the pre-pubescent lii faggoids talk the most shit online.

I personally would be setting a lot of lil bastards straight if that were still allowed.
    You KNOW what I'm SAYIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Conner View Post

you are GODDAMN right about this, mr. conner.

the pussification of america continues.

wasnt freedom of speech one of the main platforms this stolen nation was founded on?

if this shit went national, you could kiss this (as robbie put it oh so eloquently before) "well-oiled hate machine" known as wutangcorp goodbye.

pretty soon ice-grills will be grounds for getting a ticket. or as whites will call them "nasty, hurtful facial expressions".
    "Fuck Wu Tang Corp" - The GZA/Genius

https://soundcloud.com/gptent/tito-lo-blak-hell

Veteran Member

Getting hurt by words online....fucking pussies

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.B. PT 3 View Post
    yea that's not gonna pass. ever.
    This is Arizona we're talking about though. lol

It's funny when you see people getting sent to jail for shit they've said on twitter and facebook. If wu-corp was ever audited, damn, all us gen chat mofo's would all be in fuckin jail.

nah you'd be safe fermi, your insults couldn't cut a wet kleenex.

Irondan 2: Curly's Gold Wu-Tang Forum Internet Poster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STYLE View Post
    nah you'd be safe fermi, your insults couldn't cut a wet kleenex.
    yeah, but what if Scotland passed an online corniness bill?

Fermi would spend the rest of his life in the pen bent over with his kilt up around his hips.
    --youreallfags.

Quote Originally Posted by Tectrus Moa View Post
    I'm sorry? Negro English? I think you mean Ebonics.