Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: List of every Jay Dee/J Dilla beat tape in circulation

one of the last things Dilla officially worked on was "Jay Love Japan" with OX Records. an EP i was always very intrigued by, but that never has been released as it was intended due to Dilla's passing.. but even with the material recordded and completed, that OX should own, they still haven't managed to release a real PROPER version of it (as much as i do love the semi-official one).

as you probably know there are two versions of "J.L.J."; the CD with the red and white cover and an unofficial vinyl. there's some differences in the tracklists between both. one of the main things is that the CD misses out on one of the finest pieces of the entire set, the Blu assisted "Sun in my Face" which was definitely intended for the project since it was featured (vocals and all) in a video EPK from OX promoting the then forthcoming project.

another cool thing i found out is that on "Da 2nd Installment", there's a banging beat that starts with a vocal sample saying "FEEL THE BEAT", it's track #8 and comes right after the "Say It" beat.. what's interesting about this is that the "Jay Love Japan" CD (the official version) lists a song called "Feel the Beat" but it does not actually appear on the actual disc. since there's some track from "J.L.J." on "Da 2nd Installment" i believe that this is the actual beat that was supposed to be on that EP in the order the back cover lists it. but it could also be track #8 from "Beat CD #2" (2005):

another piece of info i came across that was posted before the release was that "Jay Love Japan" would feature guest verses from Truth Hurts, Slum Village and Raekwon. the Truth Hurts joint is called "Ghetto Love" and is available on the bootleg, the Slum Village joint is probably the Baatin song, but maybe "Ason Unique" was actually recorded for J.L.J. considering that the "Believe in God" beat that Rae used for his ODB tribute was first given its official release on "J.L.J."... all in all, as much as i like "J.L.J." it feels so incomplete that it's the only official Dilla CD or LP i never bothered purchasing, but i have a strong feeling if it would have been handled with care and released as Dilla had intendended it, it would prolly have been mindblowing.

(^^ skit with beat from the bootleg)

i really need to do an ultimate version of Jay Love Japan for my iPod.. too bad i don't got the promo tracks in 320 kbps though.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    one of the last things Dilla officially worked on was "Jay Love Japan" with OX Records. an EP i was always very intrigued by, but that never has been released as it was intended due to Dilla's passing.. but even with the material recordded and completed, that OX should own, they still haven't managed to release a real PROPER version of it (as much as i do love the semi-official one).

as you probably know there are two versions of "J.L.J."; the CD with the red and white cover and an unofficial vinyl. there's some differences in the tracklists between both. one of the main things is that the CD misses out on one of the finest pieces of the entire set, the Blu assisted "Sun in my Face" which was definitely intended for the project since it was featured (vocals and all) in a video EPK from OX promoting the then forthcoming project.

another cool thing i found out is that on "Da 2nd Installment", there's a banging beat that starts with a vocal sample saying "FEEL THE BEAT", it's track #8 and comes right after the "Say It" beat.. what's interesting about this is that the "Jay Love Japan" CD (the official version) lists a song called "Feel the Beat" but it does not actually appear on the actual disc. since there's some track from "J.L.J." on "Da 2nd Installment" i believe that this is the actual beat that was supposed to be on that EP in the order the back cover lists it. but it could also be track #8 from "Beat CD #2" (2005):

another piece of info i came across that was posted before the release was that "Jay Love Japan" would feature guest verses from Truth Hurts, Slum Village and Raekwon. the Truth Hurts joint is called "Ghetto Love" and is available on the bootleg, the Slum Village joint is probably the Baatin song, but maybe "Ason Unique" was actually recorded for J.L.J. considering that the "Believe in God" beat that Rae used for his ODB tribute was first given its official release on "J.L.J."... all in all, as much as i like "J.L.J." it feels so incomplete that it's the only official Dilla CD or LP i never bothered purchasing, but i have a strong feeling if it would have been handled with care and released as Dilla had intendended it, it would prolly have been mindblowing.

i really need to do an ultimate version of Jay Love Japan for my iPod.. too bad i don't got the promo tracks in 320 kbps though.
    I knew most of the info and the little I didn't know was already on other beat tapes but thanks for the information. I agree with you Jay Loves Japan feels slightly incomplete. I think some of Dilla's masterpieces are on that album but sometimes it doesn't really fit with the artist and I remember in one Dilla tape from Fantastic demo's he's talking about Japan, think Dilla always thought of it as a great country.

Sun In My Face is Track 30 on Beat Tape #1. Nothing against Blu, but the instrumental Track 30 sound so much better than the one with a rapper over it. It's the perfect instrumental beat, the way he flips it looks like it's looped but when I tried to figure it out on the MPC I was amazed. Drums are nothing special for someone with Dilla's touch, but I think this one needs these kind of drums.

Believe In God (There has been rapped over this beat by more than one artist but it's a very old beat and is very soulful) is the same as Track 22 on BT1.

Mind blown when I heard this shit for the first time.

I don't have "Feel the Beat" on Jay Loves Japan but I do have it on another tape.

Jay Loves Japan was just a compilation of old unreleased (or released but never gained popularity) Dilla beats with rap vocals over them. It's a 4/5 album to me but it feels like you said incomplete.

Jay $tay Paid does feel complete in a way but I don't enjoy listen to it as much as listening to Jay Loves Japan cause JLJ simply had a lot of old masterpieces. Pete Rock did a great job tho.

The album which I absolutely hate and I'm glad Houseshoes (a big friend of Dilla and fellow Detroiters) said it's the worst project Jay was ever associated with is Rebirth Of Detroit. They asked him if he would help but he said no when he heard of the artists working on the project and disrespecting the legacy. It didn't sound like an album at all. They reused beats that were actually released on OFFICIAL albums and played a flute or a sax on it and put it on there. The only joint that is kind of unreleased and does add something is Detroit Madness by Phat Kat.

Also y'all need to check this shit out, is one of my fav Dilla joints at the moment. The way he flipped this one:

One of the most underrated Dilla beats of all time even if it is on a De La album.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by laolu View Post
    I am not sure how to use it, I don't want to use B1...

Lolwut?
    I'll upload it to mediafire now.

Edit: http://www.mediafire.com/?8u5y20jkh3n70t0 64 Beats
    2nd Installment, 1st Installment and Whatup Doe in about 1 hour.

If anyone needs another tape, ask me and I'll try to upload it.
    Last edited by TheFunkyDrummer; 10-02-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Old Head, Young Shoulders laolu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THE GENIUS View Post
    I'll upload it to mediafire now.

Edit: http://www.mediafire.com/?8u5y20jkh3n70t0 64 Beats
    2nd Installment, 1st Installment and Whatup Doe in about 1 hour.

If anyone needs another tape, ask me and I'll try to upload it.
    Bless you.

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Claaa7, it was released i have a copy of Jay Loves Japan it was released right after The Shining dropped but then pulled from shelves for unknown reasons

[QUOTE=THE GENIUS;2268865]
    Sun In My Face is Track 30 on Beat Tape #1. Nothing against Blu, but the instrumental Track 30 sound so much better than the one with a rapper over it. It's the perfect instrumental beat, the way he flips it looks like it's looped but when I tried to figure it out on the MPC I was amazed. Drums are nothing special for someone with Dilla's touch, but I think this one needs these kind of drums.

[quote]

true, that is one of my favorite Dilla beats probably.. or who the hell knows, he literally have several hundreds real bangers to choose from so haha. but i do love both. i think Blu did a good job though, and it worked really well as an outro piece.. instrumental or not that should have been on "J.L.J." for sure.

Believe In God (There has been rapped over this beat by more than one artist but it's a very old beat and is very soulful) is the same as Track 22 on BT1.
    true, many people have rapped on it.. but since Raekwon was supposed to be featured on "Jay Love Japan" at one point, and this is the only beat from those sessions we knew he rhymed over i think it's a slight possibility that "Ason Unique" might have been done for J.L.J. but maybe Rae felt it too personal and wanted to keep it for CL2.. who knows, fantastic beat, fantastic song (Rae's version)

I don't have "Feel the Beat" on Jay Loves Japan but I do have it on another tape.
    yeah "Feel the Beat" never made it to any version of J.L.J. for some reason, despite it being listed as appearing after "Believe in God". probably a miss in the final stages of the pressing.. but do you think that the one intended is the one from Beat Tape 2 (2005) track #8 or "Da 2nd Installment" track #8. could really be either one.

Jay Loves Japan was just a compilation of old unreleased (or released but never gained popularity) Dilla beats with rap vocals over them. It's a 4/5 album to me but it feels like you said incomplete.
    i wouldn't call J.L.J. a compilation, it was an official project that Dilla was working on for quite some time that got caught up in label politics. i don't think i heard any of the material elsewhere before 2005 (i don't count beat tapes as those are really not meant for the public to hear, although i'm glad as hell we are able to

Jay $tay Paid does feel complete in a way but I don't enjoy listen to it as much as listening to Jay Loves Japan cause JLJ simply had a lot of old masterpieces. Pete Rock did a great job tho.
    co-sign, i absolutely love "Jay $tay Paid", i bought that on the day of release. two of my favorite artists, fantasticly put together, dope guests and superior beats all around.. i just couldn't understand people complaining about most of the beats having been released, or rather leaked, before. that makes no sense to me, considering they were not supposed to be out for the public to hear.. there's a few exceptions though, like the "Ma Dukes" beat (Frank-N-Dank), "Hip Hop Quotable" (AG) and maybe a few others but i don't think it dragged it down one bit... the Lil' Fame track is some of the sickest shit i've heard in a long, long time too.

The album which I absolutely hate and I'm glad Houseshoes (a big friend of Dilla and fellow Detroiters) said it's the worst project Jay was ever associated with is Rebirth Of Detroit. They asked him if he would help but he said no when he heard of the artists working on the project and disrespecting the legacy. It didn't sound like an album at all. They reused beats that were actually released on OFFICIAL albums and played a flute or a sax on it and put it on there. The only joint that is kind of unreleased and does add something is Detroit Madness by Phat Kat.
    i thought "Rebirth" was ok, i didn't have a problem with the beats, and the joints with the sax over Dilla was great imo, that was actually the legend from The Black Byrds playing. what i did not like about it was as you say it doesn't flow well at all, there might be two bangers followed by three real weak headache joints and there's a lot of wack emcees on there. i bought it just for the collection bc there are some really good shit on there though, and most of the beats are stuff i can't get on any official mastered CD or LP anyways.. should have been a lot better though, and that Jonathan Taylor seems to be a shady character as hell.

Also y'all need to check this shit out, is one of my fav Dilla joints at the moment. The way he flipped this one:

One of the most underrated Dilla beats of all time even if it is on a De La album.
    HELL YEAH!!!!! I always put on this joint when i have peeps over, and no one has heard it but everyone i've played it for are equally mindblown.. i love the vocal version the best, but the instrumental is of course the work of a genius.. gotta love the Ghost Weed skit with Dilla too hahhahaha.. Dilla and De La Soul was not to be fucked with, "Verbal Clap" is another monster

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Da 1st Installment @ Mediafire - http://www.mediafire.com/?h9iuys14r18b7uk
    Da 2nd Installment @ Mediafire - http://www.mediafire.com/?ld8dpz2ebazwdae
    What Up Doe Sessions 1996 @ Mediafire - http://www.mediafire.com/?zjaskmc4vzw259w
    64 Beats @ Mediafire - http://www.mediafire.com/?8u5y20jkh3n70t0

Quote Originally Posted by laolu View Post
    Bless you.
    No problem bro.

another interesting thing is that i have a 62 beats Madlib beat tape from 2005, which actually includes the beat for the Jay Dee/Madlib/Guilty Simspon collabo "Baby" that appeared on Dilla's "The Shining". it's not exactly the same, but the very foundation of it are definitely there, so it seems Dilla was more a co-producer for that song (both are credited as having equal input in the booklet).

true, many people have rapped on it.. but since Raekwon was supposed to be featured on "Jay Love Japan" at one point, and this is the only beat from those sessions we knew he rhymed over i think it's a slight possibility that "Ason Unique" might have been done for J.L.J. but maybe Rae felt it too personal and wanted to keep it for CL2.. who knows, fantastic beat, fantastic song (Rae's version)
    I think this may be true as well. It's a bonus on Cl2 so it's not like he ripped it or anything even if it was official for JLJ.

yeah "Feel the Beat" never made it to any version of J.L.J. for some reason, despite it being listed as appearing after "Believe in God". probably a miss in the final stages of the pressing.. but do you think that the one intended is the one from Beat Tape 2 (2005) track #8 or "Da 2nd Installment" track #8. could really be either one.
    Like you I don't have a clue. I think Dilla just made his beats and he had like slightly different versions (I have some) and he was sending these to labels and friends but honestly if it was up to me the BT2 one. Both aren't mixed if I'm not mistaken. The Dilla MCA album never came out as well but I figured that a lot of the tracks on that album, if not all has already been leaked because of the tapes.

HELL YEAH!!!!! I always put on this joint when i have peeps over, and no one has heard it but everyone i've played it for are equally mindblown.. i love the vocal version the best, but the instrumental is of course the work of a genius.. gotta love the Ghost Weed skit with Dilla too hahhahaha.. Dilla and De La Soul was not to be fucked with, "Verbal Clap" is another monster
    O man I'm so glad someone agrees with me on this one. The thing is I was always amazed by this beat cause I listened to the original version with De La and B-Real on it but I didn't notice the small but very important details in the beat like the background. Again these drums have some hypnotizing shit and the way the beat switches with "Blow your Mind" in it, seriously my mind was blown. Verbal Clap is my shit, just the sound and that Rick Wakeman sample playing thru the beat just crazy. You know people always notice Stakes Is High which is an amazing beat, seriously used to be my top 3 Dilla beats but they don't give proper credit to Verbal Clap or Peer Pressure or also Shopping Bags (Madlib beat but still, listen to the instrumental, I think the chorus is extremely corny and ruins the song). I think it's because De La didn't make as good music as before so people automatically think their beats are shit as well but AOI series and Grind Date had great beats. It's still funny when I think about how Madlib did Shopping Bags, the way he programmed the drums and used bottles or glasses lol.

I ain't here to tell you not to smoke weed
    Everybody get high

lol @ the beginning
    Last edited by TheFunkyDrummer; 10-02-2012 at 04:27 PM.

another interesting thing is that i have a 62 beats Madlib beat tape from 2005, which actually includes the beat for the Jay Dee/Madlib/Guilty Simspon collabo "Baby" that appeared on Dilla's "The Shining". it's not exactly the same, but the very foundation of it are definitely there, so it seems Dilla was more a co-producer for that song (both are credited as having equal input in the booklet).
    I have 62 Beats as well. You know they used to give credit to Dilla for that beat but it was Madlib's all along, nothing in it sounds like Dilla even if it great. It's just the same beat, maybe better mixed, nothing else. You're right, it's a Madlib beat. A lot of Madlib beats in 2011 and 2012 are from 62 Beats which is funny since he made it during 2000-2003

Non Ignorant Math Team

@The Genius u should make a playlist of ur favorite j dilla tracks and put them on mediafire

NON-IGS

Another extremely underrated and even by his hardcore fans unknown Dilla beat:

Dilla used this on his tape as the intro, he was just playing when he made such a masterpiece and then he starts playing the 2nd half of the original is bad cause he was just pressing buttons there lol that's exactly like Waajeed said in the ST 2008 interview Dilla sometimes would just do wack shit on purpose and then get inspired to make new beats.

Anyway I looped up the intro from Flying Voices on my MPC3000 so if anyone needs it, I'll upload it. It's a WAV file tho.

Quote Originally Posted by rakimkoolgrapwutang View Post
    @The Genius u should make a playlist of ur favorite j dilla tracks and put them on mediafire
    HollowDartz is going to say that the same person is talking to himself so you better not reply on my comments anymore

lol I'm just playing.

I don't know man it's just I think so many Dilla beats are contenders for his greatest beats like it started with "Runnin", "Reminisce" and "Find A Way" but then I heard all the Beattapes stuff. Everything is just amazing, seriously all the beat tapes that were never released have masterpieces on them. Never heard a Dilla beat that was less than great. I'm not joking.

It's such a shame he never got the recognition he deserved when he was still alive. I couldn't get into his music when he was still alive simply cause I was too young and was still listening to commercial rap and some rock. He has a lot of fans, ghostfans however you wanna call it right now. More and more people know of J Dilla, but most of them only know him from Donuts which is a shame.