Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite MMA Fighters?

Banned

Default Favourite MMA Fighters?

I saw Prince Rai posted a similar thread for boxers, so I thought to follow up with MMA.

Mine as follows:

Tito Oritz

(love or hate, the dude is a great coach, and a great guy to his fans.....he was an early pioneer to the sport, being one of the first dominant champions wit the most light-heavweight title defenses at 5, and deserves to be in the HOF)

George St-Pierre

(Not a particular fan of his style as he is known for not finishing, but the dude puts Canada on the map for the sport, and is highly regarded for his skill regardless of his lack of finishing ability)

BJ Penn

(not the best welterweight fighter, as he holds a record of 1-5-1 at 170lbs, but at Lightweight he's a beast being 5-2, and both loses coming from Frankie Edgar. Def not in his prime anymore, but still get excited when I see "The Prodigy" is fighting)

Wanderlei Silva

(The Axe Murderer.......prob the most dominant fighter in PRIDE history being undefeated for 7yrs for the Middleweight title until he lost it to Dan Hendo........Aside from that, he not only participated in the bare-knuckle Vale Tudo fights in Brazil, but he was a fucking CHAMPION at it.........self-explanatory why he's awesome.....plus he's prob got the best MMA knockout reel int he history of the sport)

The Diaz Brothers

- Constantly criticized for their boxing style, the Diaz brothers have been known to be some of the best submission artists in the game, but more specifically Nick for boxing, and Nate for submissions. These guys are entertaining to watch, and always deliver)

Junior Dos Santos

(Prob my current fav fighter to watch right now.......dude looks unstoppable to the point I even question Overeem's ability to beat him when they were scheduled to match up)

The Noguiera brothers

- (specifically Big NOg, but both should be recognized for helping the sport and fellow fighters with their "Black House" gym assisting the likes of Anderson Silva, and Junior Dos Santos)

Don Frye

(My fav growing up; loved to watch this dude in the early years)

I could go on and on as I am a huge fan of the sport, but I'm just naming the guys I admire the most; honourable mentions for current fighters I like seeing at the moment for entertainment value:

Rory Macdonald

Rosmir Palhares

Jose Aldo

Nick Denis
    Last edited by KATO; 06-13-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Griselda Dinner Plates Brick Thunderbird's Avatar

Rashad Evans
    Junior Dos Santos
    Jose Aldo
    Daniel Cormier
    Benson Henderson
    Anthony Pettis
    Diaz Brothers

I could go on and on. I'm a big MMA head and this is just a handful of my favorite fighters. Rashad Evans is my top dog.
    "Return to earth as a person, only to see you mouse niggas running from the serpent" - Jus Allah

Banned

Really? Rashad? I've never met someone who really likes Rashad. I myself have never been a big fan, but that's cool.

Daniel Cormier I never noticed until he filled in for Overeem during the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix. He has potential, but I'd like to see him face higher calibur talent as Josh Barnett is good, but not on the same level as a Dos Santos, or Velasquez. I think Cormier vs Shane Carwin would be appealing.....but I don't like how he's referenced as "Black Fedor" as that is a name with BIG shoes to fill; people say what they want about Fedor, but d00d was a beast in his heyday.

Benson is interesting........I think he'll win the rematch with Frankie Edgar, but dunno how he'd do against Nate Diaz. We'll see eventually though.

Pettis is cool in my books

Lol, Rashad's got a lot of haters man, but I've been a fan of his since he was battling heavyweights on TUF. I was disappointed when Jon Jones roughed him up, but hopefully he comes back with a nice win in his next fight.
    "Return to earth as a person, only to see you mouse niggas running from the serpent" - Jus Allah

rory macdonald
    belfort
    jon jones

Banned

Jon Jones has talent, I just hate his attitude.......such a goody-goody snitch bitch.

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/12/...that-snitched/

Word around he ratted on Nick Diaz too for smoking, can't stand people like that; especially after his whole DWI incident.

I guess I like the old school breed of fighters the most. To me MMA was all about true fighters going into the cage to hurt and finish people. Now it's athletes with a chess like gameplan who try to out point each other. That's a different discussion though.

BJ Penn - Loved him from the start. His flexiblity and smooth BJJ skills were fun to watch. Kills me to get hyped up for his fights these days because he's much more passive now. I'll be there to watch him fight Rory but won't let myself get too hyped.

Chuck Liddell - Absolutely loved his style. Not only will he knock you the fuck out, if you do take him down he will simply stand right back up. It's crazy how easy he made it look.

Roy Nelson - Been a fan since his IFL days. Just a true fighter who will take a serious beating and keep coming at you trying to knock you out.

Rampage - It's too bad his UFC stint didn't go as I had hoped. Loved him in Pride. His humour, his stand up, his slams, his chain, his howl. Just a great fighter to watch.

Shogun - All I really need to say about him is Pride + soccer kicks. Fuck do I miss Pride.

Kazushi Sakuraba - Another great fighter back in the day. Loved it when he would try to jump onto his opponents face.

Nick Diaz - Was sad to see him leave the UFC the first time around. Loved his fuck everyone attitude and pure desire to fight and beat people up.

Wanderlai - Another one who comes to fight and take your head off.

Henderson - Great all around fighter.

Fedor - Undersized heavyweight who will put you to sleep.

I could keep going and it would mostly be older fighters. There aren't many new guys that I can really get into. Korean Zombie could be on his way to being one of my new favorites.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kurupt_kw View Post
    I guess I like the old school breed of fighters the most. To me MMA was all about true fighters going into the cage to hurt and finish people. Now it's athletes with a chess like gameplan who try to out point each other. That's a different discussion though.

BJ Penn - Loved him from the start. His flexiblity and smooth BJJ skills were fun to watch. Kills me to get hyped up for his fights these days because he's much more passive now. I'll be there to watch him fight Rory but won't let myself get too hyped.

^ Yea, I think Rory is a bad match for BJ and his fighting style now.

Chuck Liddell - Absolutely loved his style. Not only will he knock you the fuck out, if you do take him down he will simply stand right back up. It's crazy how easy he made it look.

^ Pioneer for the modern fan for sure, and def. great takedown defense. It's funny cus he is an all-star wrestler, but never utilized his skills because in the early UFC days, people didn't understand the ground game and would "booo" when it got to the ground. So Chuck's ultimatum was to keep it standing or get cut; basically turned into his style of fighting.

Roy Nelson - Been a fan since his IFL days. Just a true fighter who will take a serious beating and keep coming at you trying to knock you out.

^ I know a lot of cats hate the guy because of his demeanor, his "look" but you can't deny this dude has mad power behind his punches, and he always delivers when he fights; christ I've never seen anyone get an "overly" upper hand against him (including Junior Cigano) even when he's lost. Dude is like the Butterbean of MMA; he looks fat and ridiculous, but taste one of his punches and you're taking a fucking dirt nap.

Rampage - It's too bad his UFC stint didn't go as I had hoped. Loved him in Pride. His humour, his stand up, his slams, his chain, his howl. Just a great fighter to watch.

^ Rampage disappointed me too. PRIDE days he was awesome to watch, and yea his UFC career has been mediocre with the exception of the Liddell and Wandi rematches where he clarly KOed them the fuck out. Even in his title defense against Hendo I wasn't impressed, and wtf happened in the Griffin fight? I'll miss him when he leaves, but he's a one dimensional fighter now and only boxes which is retarded when he clearly has Muay Thai and wrestling ability......

Shogun - All I really need to say about him is Pride + soccer kicks. Fuck do I miss Pride.

^ yup, all Chute Boxe academy guys were on point back in the day

Kazushi Sakuraba - Another great fighter back in the day. Loved it when he would try to jump onto his opponents face.

^ Liked how he handed all the arrogant Gracie's a whooping just because of their last name. Though I wish he'd retire finally, he's tarnishing his legacy with the mediocre fights he's been having.

Henderson - Great all around fighter.

^ Word......and not only that, but he's still WINNING and against TOP TIER talent. I hate how he's overshadowed by Couture even though they came from the same camp along with Matt Lindland. Couture's record is a joke compared to Hendo, and Hendo has faced the same quality fighters and during heir prime as well. I hope Hendo owns Bones Jones with his big left in SEPT. > Hendo is to Couture as what Rodney Mullen is to Tony Hawk.

Fedor - Undersized heavyweight who will put you to sleep.

^ self-explanatory with the last Emperor, sad to see him leave after the fight with Rizzo next week, but it's expected and necessary I believe.

I could keep going and it would mostly be older fighters. There aren't many new guys that I can really get into. Korean Zombie could be on his way to being one of my new favorites.

Clearly a PRIDE fan >

I miss PRIDE too. Bas Rutten and the Fight Prof. Quadros all day baby

Banned

I'd like to add Bas Rutten to my list of fav fighter, like I said too many to mention, and he was overlooked....my bad.

Reason being during the Pancrase years, he was unstoppable. And he's fucking hilarious to listen to all the crazy Dutch bar fights he got into during his bouncer years. Fucking great fighter, wish he had more of a UFC career when he became heavyweight champ, but injuries plague allthe greats.........PS he was fucking hilarious in GTA IV as host of "the Mens Room" check it out if you never have.

El GUAPO FTW.

Shit, I just lost a large reply. I blame that stupid pop up shit people are getting.

You got me thinking about old Pride and Bas etc. I always loved that crazy intro lady too. Way better than any Buffer IMO.

Bas is awesome and I would rather listen to him than any other announcer. His stories are hilarious. I used to watch his bouncer training videos for a good laugh once in a while when I was bouncing for a few years.

I liked Randy but I get what you are saying. I think he did earn a lot of the praise he did but I also think it was magnified due to his story. Old man champion defending his belt against bigger, younger fighters. Society loves a good story and people ate it up. I can't stand shit like America's Got Talent because of this factor. You have some idiot come out and do something horrible or sing with a very average voice but because he has some sob story the crowd and judges jump on his nuts and praise him.

I've been to one UFC and it was when Randy lost his belt to Brock. It was fun but I would have rather seen Hendo vs anyone.

I was onboard with the UFC since 1 when a bunch of us 7th graders got together and ordered the PPV and I've always loved Tank. It was kind of disappointing to me when I saw him in MGM. I guess I always saw him as this huge tank when I was a kid. To stand beside him and tower over him really surprised me. I also ran into Mike Tyson at the Hardrock and it was the same thing. Standing 6'3" I really didn't expect to feel that much bigger than these guys.

It's also funny to see a guy like Thiago Alves up close. If I didn't know who he was and he came at me to fight I would laugh in his face and tell him I don't beat on little guys. The reality is that he would beat the shit out of me with ease.

jon jones

Anderson silva

Dominick Cruz

I think if fedor was in the UFC he would have lost sooner than he did, but he was afraid to join the UFC

Banned

You got me thinking about old Pride and Bas etc. I always loved that crazy intro lady too. Way better than any Buffer IMO.

Bas is awesome and I would rather listen to him than any other announcer. His stories are hilarious. I used to watch his bouncer training videos for a good laugh once in a while when I was bouncing for a few years.
    haha Lenne Hardt

froooooooom braaaaaaaziiiiiiill WAAAAAAAAANNNNNDERRRLEEEEIIIIIIII SIIIIIIILLLLVAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

And yea fuck Bruce Buffer, never liked him, never will......I especially hate when he starts pointing and screaming directly into the fighters face........uber ghey XD

I liked Randy but I get what you are saying. I think he did earn a lot of the praise he did but I also think it was magnified due to his story. Old man champion defending his belt against bigger, younger fighters. Society loves a good story and people ate it up. I can't stand shit like America's Got Talent because of this factor. You have some idiot come out and do something horrible or sing with a very average voice but because he has some sob story the crowd and judges jump on his nuts and praise him.

I've been to one UFC and it was when Randy lost his belt to Brock. It was fun but I would have rather seen Hendo vs anyone.

I was onboard with the UFC since 1 when a bunch of us 7th graders got together and ordered the PPV and I've always loved Tank. It was kind of disappointing to me when I saw him in MGM. I guess I always saw him as this huge tank when I was a kid. To stand beside him and tower over him really surprised me. I also ran into Mike Tyson at the Hardrock and it was the same thing. Standing 6'3" I really didn't expect to feel that much bigger than these guys.

It's also funny to see a guy like Thiago Alves up close. If I didn't know who he was and he came at me to fight I would laugh in his face and tell him I don't beat on little guys. The reality is that he would beat the shit out of me with ease.
    Used to like Tank, then he got too cocky.....you should see some of his interviews here.......he's fucking weird, and don't like his points of views on the UFC.

^ he's got a bundle of those, dude is off his rocker....Don Frye, Oleg Taktarov, and Marco Ruas were my favs in the old days >

And yea I respect Randy for not only winning the belt, but defending it as well; glad he accomplished what he did at his age, I just don't agree with the hype is all....

yea I know what you mean meeting some of the fighters, I stood beside Wanderlei Silva and couldn't believe I was taller than him when he looks gigantic on TV, as well as Rich Franklin; I was the same size as the dude! But Cain Velasquez is HUGE in person, big BIG fuckin head! lol

Quote Originally Posted by hectis View Post
    jon jones

Anderson silva

Dominick Cruz

I think if fedor was in the UFC he would have lost sooner than he did, but he was afraid to join the UFC
    ^ Surprised Hecctis was the first to say Anderson Silva, I expected every1 to say him. Wasn't a huge fan of him before with his "dipsy doodle" shit, but have come around to really respect him, and really do consider him pd. 4 pd. best fighter.

I hink Fedor would have done okay in UFC. I think he would've beat Randy if they fought, as well as Frank Mir, or Gonzaga but yea I think he'd have lost to Brock or Cain velasquez or Dos Santos 4sure
    Last edited by KATO; 06-15-2012 at 02:26 PM.

I hope Anderson smashes Chael in their next fight. I actually gained a tiny bit of respect for Chael after listening to him on the Joe Rogan Experience, but the dude is the biggest troll in MMA lol. He deserves to take another L.

Has anyone watched Anderson Silva: Like Water yet? I saw that the other day and thought it was decent. It didn't really show you anything new about him, but it was cool reliving his first fight against Chael.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Barry View Post
    I hope Anderson smashes Chael in their next fight. I actually gained a tiny bit of respect for Chael after listening to him on the Joe Rogan Experience, but the dude is the biggest troll in MMA lol. He deserves to take another L.

Has anyone watched Anderson Silva: Like Water yet? I saw that the other day and thought it was decent. It didn't really show you anything new about him, but it was cool reliving his first fight against Chael.
    Chael is bullshit........he's a steroid taking pro-american douche. He should be called Chael "asshole mouth" Sonnen because all that comes out of his mouth is shit.......the stuff he said abot the Noguiera's and Brazil is ridiculous.

And I think Bisping won that fight for the MW contender shot against Anderson, they gave it to Chael since they've been hyping it for so long; the fucking politics in fighr promoting is garbage.

And Chael has shit submission defense, look at his record: 27-11-1 and out of those 11 losses, "8" have been by submission.

He shit-talks BJJ all the time liek its useless, yet its his greatest flaw.