Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original tracklist for 'The W' album...?

Default Original tracklist for 'The W' album...?

I just picked up another copy of The W today, I only bought it because on the back cover there was a sticker over the top of the case with the standard tracklisting on it so I was abit curious as to what was underneath the sticker.

Under the sticker was a different tracklist, completely different running order and tracks. I don't know if this was how it was originally intended or if someone just fucked up the tracklisting like they did on a couple of ghost's albums.

Here's the tracklist as shown on the back cover of this copy of The W...

01. Intro (Jah World) feat. Junior Reid / Chamber Music
    02. Careful (Click, Click)
    03. Hollow Bones
    04. Conditioner feat. Snoop Dogg
    05. The Monument feat. Busta Rhymes / Intermission (Jah World)
    06. Do You Really (Thang, Thang)
    07. One Blood Under W feat. Junior Reid
    08. Let My Niggas Live feat. Nas
    09. Gravel Pit
    10. Shaolin Finger Jab
    11. Protect Ya Neck (The Jump Off)
    12. Redbull feat. Redman
    13. I Can't Go To Sleep feat. Isaac Hayes / Outro

Has anyone else got a copy like this...? Never seen this version of the tracklist before. I'm gunna try and bump a playlist in this order tonight, see how it sounds. Obviously I don't have the Intermission tracks nd the Shaolin Finger Jab track but I'm gunna bump the others in this order. In the booklet, it has all of the credits for this different version too, including the credits for Shaolin Finger Jab.

Peace!

maybe another album version?

RZA changed the whole product at the last moment. The booklets and everything were already printed. Check the trackorder on the inside of the booklet. It matches the original order. Lots of The W versions got that sticker over the original tracklist. At least in Europe that's the case.

It was revealed at some point Raekwon wanted to cut off the Shaolin Finger Jab song at the very last moment, don't know why, so only the intro of that song remained and it was remixed into Chamber Music to start the album. You can still hear the beat of the original Shaolin Finger Jab song (sounds awesome btw!) and RZA saying the track title before it fades out into Chamber Music.

The Jah World singing shit was supposed to be two shorter songs. Perhaps the shorts songs The W (by RZA) and YES YES YALL (by GZA) were also added and mixed into the final cut later, or in a different order. I don't know.

God Beside Me Guarded By Martyrs's Avatar
    Front Row Tickets |Watching The Apocalypse|

So Rae's to blame....

Always wondered about that shit.

Looks like here's nothing here that isn't on the W the way it hit retail.

It's just sequenced very differently.

I did notice that sticker covering the back when I saw it on store shelves, but I bought a copy on cassette.

So the tracklisting is all in order on that version.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    Thanks for your hate hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Discourse View Post
    RZA changed the whole product at the last moment. The booklets and everything were already printed. Check the trackorder on the inside of the booklet. It matches the original order. Lots of The W versions got that sticker over the original tracklist. At least in Europe that's the case.

It was revealed at some point Raekwon wanted to cut off the Shaolin Finger Jab song at the very last moment, don't know why, so only the intro of that song remained and it was remixed into Chamber Music to start the album. You can still hear the beat of the original Shaolin Finger Jab song (sounds awesome btw!) and RZA saying the track title before it fades out into Chamber Music.

The Jah World singing shit was supposed to be two shorter songs. Perhaps the shorts songs The W (by RZA) and YES YES YALL (by GZA) were also added and mixed into the final cut later, or in a different order. I don't know.

Props for that info fam, I never saw anything about this before. Never seen a copy with the sticker over the tracklisting before. The original copy I bought when 'The W' first came out had the correct tracklist on the cover and in the booklet.

Peace!

Shaolin Finger Jab was an awesome beat.

Quote Originally Posted by SL33 View Post
    Shaolin Finger Jab was an awesome beat.
    Yeah I just wish we could get to hear the full track!

Peace!

My copy I bought in 2001 had no sticker so it must have just been the first few batches that had it added.

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

i bought the w the week it came out i have my original copy

Terry Cloth Rudolph Joint Sky Blue Bally Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whers View Post
    So Rae's to blame....

Always wondered about that shit.
    Rae's beat tastes were most questionable back then. I read he picked the beat for Soul Power on Iron Flag, and we all know about Ice Cream Part II...

When I'm writing in my room

It's like a child that's fighting in the womb

- KP -

^ you said his beat selections were questionable then. I was expecting you to bring up all the trash on immobilarity. but soul power? that shit is great! if you said rules, one of these days, chrome wheels, alright then. soul power though?

I want to hear the original version of the w. we need to get cilvaringz on this. there was one of the best rza beats I've ever heard on there that was scrapped, spot lite, shaolin finger jab, a beat with the latoya sample, another beat I dont know if I can talk about, the w (which was a dumbass song to have on that album "gotta check out the w" - I AM!). there was also a song that was to feature aaliyah. there was a song that was called 'task force' or something like that - I could be wrong about that one though.

then something happened and much later on redbull was recorded (using the same deck verse as spot lite) and that conditioner bullshit. the features that are cool - the ones that make sense like isaac hayes & junior reid were meant to be there (again, I could be wrong about the isaac hayes one)

Shaolin Master

someone needs to dig out that studio video from Heavy.com that had all those potential W beats playing in the background

^ that's also where it was shown that the original "Red Bull" beat was produced by Allah Mathematics, and was in fact the same beat later used for "Spot Lite", if i'm not mistaken?

i've been really fiending to hear that "Shaolin Finger Jab" song for 12 years now.. i can't believe it still haven't been released in some way or the other.. perfect joint for Wu Wednesday series.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

^ no, that WAS spot lite