Thread: Cung Le on 'The Man with the Iron Fists'

Banned

Default Cung Le on 'The Man with the Iron Fists'

http://www.craveonline.com/film/inte...nd-dragon-eyes

How big a role do you have in The Man with the Iron Fist?

I kill like 20 people. I’m very ruthless in the movie. At the same time, I think people will like my character for being fearless and being badass.

What did you have to do to work with an experienced actor like Russell Crowe on fight scenes?

It’s the same formula for me. With Russell Crowe he’s a trained actor and he’s dedicated to his art. He knows it and he’s like the champion of his art. I’m a champion of my art but it’s the same philosophy, dedicating myself in the acting and being in character, knowing my scenes and my surroundings and where the camera’s at. Working well with everyone on set, whether it’s the production assistant all the way to the director, you’re able to get along with everyone and take directions and be open minded. Then I can match up my acting with anyone.

Did he take to choreography easily?

Russell and I were supposed to have a fight scene but then we changed it up to me and Lucy Liu. That was more appealing to me because I love Russell Crowe, he’s Maximus, but Lucy Liu, every time I watch her I’m like, “She’s super hot. I’d love to work with her one day.” What do you know, I got a chance to work with her and it was awesome.

Was her experience from Charlie’s Angels and Kill Bill compatible with you?

She was great. She was so daring. She wants to do a lot of her own stunts. She even crashed into this table and she’s like, “I’ll do it again.” I think the director got a little bit worried, but she’s game, she’s gung ho.

When you say “the director,” you’re talking about THE RZA.

Well, in that scene it was Cory Yuen making sure that everyone was safe.

What is the mythology of The Man with the Iron Fist?

The mythology is more the modern Shaw Brothers crossed with The Lord of the Rings.

How does RZA direct?

RZA has been mentored by Quentin Tarantino for six years and he was amazing. He knew his stuff. He knew what shot he wanted to get. With Eli Roth on set, they worked together so well, and even Marc Abraham who’s directed before. There was so much knowledge on that set but RZA knew his craft and it was like he was producing a soundtrack in this movie. He brought the best out of me in a lot of my scenes when I had to deliver for him an emotional part or a powerful part. He definitely knew what to say, what buttons to push to get that out of me, which is not that hard. I’m very open. I’m not insecure about anything so if they want me to get a little crazy, a little out there, bring it.

Do you have an example of one of those times he pushed you?

I don’t want to give it away. When you start the movie there’s action, and the pace of the movie from the beginning to end is hardcore. And it’s not just for the guys. There’s powerful scenes where Lucy Liu did what I call “The Lucy Liu Braveheart Speech” that she did for her clan. It was powerful. She empowered the women in those movies, and of course Jamie Chung was in there too. It’s a dream come true for an action type of guy like me who’s trying to develop into the best actor to match my action skills.

Was The Grandmasters when you worked with Yuen Woo-Ping?

I worked with Woo-Ping on True Legend. By the time I worked with him on the Wong Kar Wai film, he actually suggested me for that part. Wong Kar Wai tried to expand my part but we couldn’t get our scheduling down. I was also filming The Man with the Iron Fist at the same time so I was kind of bummed about that. He already shot another fight scene to be in middle. He wanted me to shoot at the end. If I couldn’t shoot the ending of the movie, then we couldn’t get that middle scene in there. My schedule was kind of tight and I know he shoots all over the place and it had to be shot in that location at that certain time. I just couldn’t get back there because I was filming on The Man with the Iron Fist. We’ll see what he puts in there but I know I open his movie with some, excuse my Vietnamese, but some kick ass action. I guarantee it’s going to be badass. It was the second time working with Woo-Ping so he let me open up a little bit.

^ Am I being ignorant here or is this film taking forever to come out?

Shaolin Master

Not at all, it was supposed to drop 12/21/11 originally

naw movies take a long time to drop. They just wrapped shooting a year or so ago. Post production takes time, then there is the business side of things with the studios and what not.
    Impermanence on this plane of reality/where criminality, brutality freely dwell/ Truth is a casualty in this hell/ Karma reins with divine causality, then its swell--StrangeLoveSurreal

the prod.comp. gave rza 20.000.000 bucks so i dont think that they push it back like the cure, obcl2, achozen, ...
    it's a big diff. between those 2 arts... (music/film)

^ cheers. Being a Wu fan you do start to wonder though.

IronSheik

Quote Originally Posted by New Hills 36 View Post
    it was published as August (currently in post-production)

http://www.destroythebrain.com/2011/...d-next-august/

so we'll see if the studio sticks with that (theres currently no official website or facebook yet)

have to read this

you really dont think that this film is never coming out like the bobby digi films, do you?
    that would say, that it's a >20 mio loss + the money rza invests in that project...
    and you really think, that russle crow or lucy lu cast a movie, wich would not come out?

wu fans are pessimistic as fuck...

as a wu fan you start to doubt everything at all...

when is this movie suppose to come out anywayz

Banned

this article in Variety last week claims it will be a fall release

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118052411

Banned

PRODIGAL SUN

Quote Originally Posted by New Hills 36 View Post
    it comes out nov 2 u ignorant prick
    Unloyal Snakes get thrown in boilin Lakes Of Hot Oil

honestly i'm psyched for this. its exactly the type of flick you'd expect him to make, modern shaw brothers, and the 'ninja scroll' comparison that keeps coming up is a great omen.

He's on a roll, 1st win in UFC & now the flick. Def lookin foward to this.