Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your opinion on Cube?

Banned

Default What's your opinion on Cube?

A lot of folks appear to overlook Cube as a GOAT status. Witch such MC's getting regular mentions like Rakim, Nas, 2pac, Biggie, etc etc Cube rarely gets a mention.

I gotta say Cube is up there for sure; when my older brother bought "Death Certificate" for the first time, I was only 7 when it came out, and my bro was 12 or 13, and obviously I didn't know a damn thing Cube was talking about with "Black Korea" and "Color Blind" but the mixture of charismatic vocals, and hardcore beats stood out....afterwards my bro got "Straight Outta Compton" and Cube was the voice that stood out the most to me, especially on the title track.

Others will say Eazy-E which is understandable, but Cube's verse was the first I memorized, and what stood out for NWA in my opinion.

Also his Westside Connection stuff was phenomenal, at least Bow Down was, Terrorist Threats wasn't "AS" on point, but I still enjoyed the album thoroughly....and again I think Cube stood out over Mac-10 and WC.

His catalog is also untouchable; at least his early 90's stuff:

I mean after the War & Peace album, he kind of turned into a new direction, and really started to focus on his movie career, so it was really hard to accept him for the "style" of rapper he was, watching him in flicks like:

Barber Shop
    Are we There Yet?
    XXX the sequel

etc

But obviously the content of his music will change as he gets older, like most artists, especially now that he's a family man.

And regarding his acting, I honestly believe he's the best rapper-turned-actor with the most talent.......not the best movie choices mind you, but he certainly has high-calibur acting over people like DMX, T.I, Big Boi, and others........

And when he came back "Raw Footage" and "I am the West" I liked how he "somewhat" went back to his old roots as a rapper; laugh now Cry Later was so-so IMO.

Anyways, what you think of Cube?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by KATO View Post
    A lot of folks appear to overlook Cube as a GOAT status. Witch such MC's getting regular mentions like Rakim, Nas, 2pac, Biggie, etc etc Cube rarely gets a mention.

I gotta say Cube is up there for sure; when my older brother bought "Death Certificate" for the first time, I was only 7 when it came out, and my bro was 12 or 13, and obviously I didn't know a damn thing Cube was talking about with "Black Korea" and "Color Blind" but the mixture of charismatic vocals, and hardcore beats stood out....afterwards my bro got "Straight Outta Compton" and Cube was the voice that stood out the most to me, especially on the title track.

Others will say Eazy-E which is understandable, but Cube's verse was the first I memorized, and what stood out for NWA in my opinion.

Also his Westside Connection stuff was phenomenal, at least Bow Down was, Terrorist Threats wasn't "AS" on point, but I still enjoyed the album thoroughly....and again I think Cube stood out over Mac-10 and WC.

His catalog is also untouchable; at least his early 90's stuff:

I mean after the War & Peace album, he kind of turned into a new direction, and really started to focus on his movie career, so it was really hard to accept him for the "style" of rapper he was, watching him in flicks like:

Barber Shop
    Are we There Yet?
    XXX the sequel

etc

But obviously the content of his music will change as he gets older, like most artists, especially now that he's a family man.

And regarding his acting, I honestly believe he's the best rapper-turned-actor with the most talent.......not the best movie choices mind you, but he certainly has high-calibur acting over people like DMX, T.I, Big Boi, and others........

And when he came back "Raw Footage" and "I am the West" I liked how he "somewhat" went back to his old roots as a rapper; laugh now Cry Later was so-so IMO.

Anyways, what you think of Cube?
    I think u can definitely separate his career and pin point when his movie career started to take over his music career.

I've always thought that cube gets shitted on for this reason.
    I wouldnt say his catalouge is g.o.a.t. material, but there was a time when u didnt want to fuck with cube.
    His voice, flow, charisma, at a point were top notch.
    I would say top 5 for me from the west coast.
    Its a shame how he doesnt get the respect he deserves especially from the average rap fan today that might only knew it from his movies.
    My favorite disc from cube is preadator.

Banned

^ Yea for sure, I agree with that.

I heard the War album and was not impressed, and the Peace album was even LESS impressive.....

Today's rap fan will consider the likes of Lil Wayne and Drake as top-notch, and Nelly would be considered Old School, which is bullshit.........I just asked my sister-in-law the other day who's only 20 said she had no idea Cube was a rapper, and only knew him as an actor.......that's fucking pathetic.

Predator is my fav album next to Death Certificate; When Will They Shoot?, Tear this Mu'fucka Up, Wicked, Today was a Good Day, Check Yourself, Wet'cha, etc.......great album

Slightly above average rapper, released some consistent albums, no shame/self respect, wants to be a movie star.

ice cube was dope before he went soft

his first 3 albums are certified classics, angry political type shit

who doesnt mention cube when discussing the goat? i think you need to change who you discuss hip hop with.

Cube is one of my favourites and is definitely one of the top contenders for the top spot!
    from nwa to classic solo albums to movies to westside connection dude can stand with anyone when it comes to influence.

and laugh now cry later was definitely the best album of his last 3...

favourite album is also the predator!

Avant-garde

Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    laugh now cry later was definitely the best album of his last 3...
    123, would read again

Banned

he's actually pretty acclaimed, all things considered. not sure who told you he wasn't, but this is take from his Wikipedia page:

He was ranked #8 on MTV's list of the 10 Greatest MCs of All Time, while Snoop Dogg himself ranked Ice Cube as the greatest MC of all time.[3] About.com ranked him #11 on its list of the "Top 50 Greatest MCs of Our Time."[4] Allmusic has called him one of hip-hop's best and most controversial artists,[5] as well as "one of rap's greatest storytellers."[6] In 2012, The Source ranked him #14 on their list of the Top 50 Lyricists of All Time.[7]

Non Ignorant Math Team

im not too fond of him tbh but hes got some good stuff but i think theres lots better. i think overall best west coast emcee is gift of gab

EDIT: btw cube>>>>>>>>>>>pac
    Last edited by cj wisty; 08-05-2012 at 05:52 PM.

NON-IGS

Quote Originally Posted by rakimkoolgrapwutang View Post
    EDIT: btw cube>>>>>>>>>>>pac
    don't know about that. I don't like Pac's music as much as a lot of others, he's the most overrated rapper of all time to me but I think he's better than Cube. Cube is more of a gangstarapper than Pac but Pac is more poetic even though it's easy to understand.

Ice Cube discography shits on Pac's but I think it has to do with his personality and his sound, he doesn't have an amazing flow and his lyrics are just ok. People think It was a good day is one of the greatest stories lol it was very easy to understand but it's def a classic. He was going out and shot no one that day so it was a good day he fucked that bitch Kim, police passed by and he watched mtv raps peace.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    who doesnt mention cube when discussing the goat? i think you need to change who you discuss hip hop with.

Cube is one of my favourites and is definitely one of the top contenders for the top spot!
    from nwa to classic solo albums to movies to westside connection dude can stand with anyone when it comes to influence.

and laugh now cry later was definitely the best album of his last 3...

favourite album is also the predator!
    Quote Originally Posted by theheavens View Post
    he's actually pretty acclaimed, all things considered. not sure who told you he wasn't, but this is take from his Wikipedia page:

He was ranked #8 on MTV's list of the 10 Greatest MCs of All Time, while Snoop Dogg himself ranked Ice Cube as the greatest MC of all time.[3] About.com ranked him #11 on its list of the "Top 50 Greatest MCs of Our Time."[4] Allmusic has called him one of hip-hop's best and most controversial artists,[5] as well as "one of rap's greatest storytellers."[6] In 2012, The Source ranked him #14 on their list of the Top 50 Lyricists of All Time.[7]

When discussing GOAT MC's here for the long time that I've posted, I've always seen people consider GZA, Nas, Rakim, even MF DOOM as GOD Status........Kool G Rap, KRS-ONE, etc etc, Jay-Z, etc

I never see Cube mentioned in these discussions......though these threads have been long gone for a bit, what with all the "Who's your top 5 fav MC's list?" and "WHo do you think are the greatest MC's of all time?" threads that would pop up here at least once a month for the longest time in the hip hop section. That is until people would get so fed up, they'd just lock and close the thread down al2gether.

my brother made some tasty meatloaf tonight. i tend to be a science fiction buff. in my college days, I was nicknamed Klaatu. these films were a little violent for my tastes, i could have done without some parts, but in all in all, they weren't too bad. i'd say worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Luther Van Dam View Post
    my brother made some tasty meatloaf tonight. i tend to be a science fiction buff. in my college days, I was nicknamed Klaatu. these films were a little violent for my tastes, i could have done without some parts, but in all in all, they weren't too bad. i'd say worth a watch.
    top 5 posters on wu corp

Veteran Member

BETTER AN ICE CUBE THAN AN ICE SQUARE. SQUARES ARE PLANES AND ICE CUBES ARE SOLID FiGURES.

cubes one of the best storytellers in the history of hip hop, no question.

fantastic output in the 90s.
    amerikkkas most wanted
    kill at will
    death certificate
    predator
    lethal injection
    bootlegs & b-sides

and if you count the group stuff he was on or had a hand in
    nwa straight outta compton
    eazy e eazy does it
    da lench mob
    wc & the madd circle
    kam
    mack-10
    westside connection's first album

not many have as solid of a legacy as cube.

when that friday money hit & he made that war & peace bullshit, thats when he kinda lost his ear for beats & that ill flow he always had.

but even his subpar albums got some good shit on em.
    "Fuck Wu Tang Corp" - The GZA/Genius

https://soundcloud.com/gptent/tito-lo-blak-hell