Thread: what makes lyrics to you emotional

Non Ignorant Math Team

Default what makes lyrics to you emotional

ive often heard people talking about lyrics either saying theyre 'emotional' or 'technical' as if those are mutually exclusive terms. ive never understood why people say that. from ancient times poets have been using literrary techniques to make their words emotional so its definitely technical and therefore reasons can b given for lyrics being emotional instead of just saying empty statements such as 'i can really feel them' or 'real niggas relate'.

IMO the most emotional rapper is ghostface and the reason why is cuz he places the listener right in the middle of the situation hes speaking of. he doesnt just state something he makes u live it.

a good example is when ghostface says 'here come his Old Earth
    With no shoes on, screamin holdin her breasts with a gown on
    She fell and then lightly touched his jaw, kissed him
    Rubbed his hair, turned around the ambulance was there'

he expresses very well and clearly how this woman is in a panic by using powerful images. most people would have to say stuff like 'she was in a hurry' ghostface says 'with no shoes on' thats implicit language showing how she was in a hurry cuz she was in a panic and people can connect more cuz they can visualise it.

i know of people who find this very emotional but i cant understand them. none of his metaphors make an impact and he stays in the same element 4 too long. he never branches out unlike ghostface who shows the emotion in different ways like explaining how their fathers robbed banks or using the guys wife to show people cared for the guy or the example of the police not taking the guy seriously and treating him like a joke.

illogic just sems to keep on sayin the same thing over and over again without showing it any differently. he just basicly keeps on saying hes insecure about himself and it gets boring 4 me. and he never makes me feel involved. he never uses any examples i can relate to. he uses metaphors but not in a clever way.

i wouldnt like impossible either if ghost just kept on saying how sad he i that hisfriend has died over and over again.

a good metaphor is one that people can relate to but wont think of doing. a metaphor is a comparison and the reason 4 making a comparison is to show something in a different way or a different light. cuz of this a metaphor can b very good to expres emotions cuz even if the people cant relate to something they dont know if u show it in a different way theyd b more likely to connect.

NON-IGS

Most of the people who use terms like, "Too emotional" are males who are seriously out of touch with their feminine side. Some are laughing and "WTF"ing right now but check it....everything in nature is dual in nature. Everything has feminine and masculine traits. A lot of males forget, if they even knew at all, that the penis is just an elongated clitoris. That being said, when an male emcee decides to fearlessly show this principle, it's usually misinterpreted by most out-of-touch people as weakness.

Ghostface doing "All That I Got Is You" is no different than Mad Child rockin' a Sade t-shirt. It's an acknowledgement of the feminine aspect of nature and that without it, all of that which we know would be out of balance.

Too often, people try to make us believe that the absence of emotions is the true epitome of strength. Especially if you're male. That's one of the main reasons there's so many broken homes. People, male and female, are always more willing to yell, scream and leave than they are to sit down and work it out. Why? It's EASIER to go with the flow of Yang energy when it's flowing because by nature, it's the more dominate force. However, a little bit of Yin in the midst of all that Yang is always more powerful than anyone expects. At the very least, the angry party will be more inclined to listen to you because you're not trying to beat them over the head, you're leading them by the hand.

Sometimes emcees go too far with the feminine aspect and just become a pain in the ass. Common for example. After, "Be", I was done. The dude is out of balance and in my opinion is trying too hard to be soft.

I commend any male, emcee or not, who is trying to find the natural balance that is within himself and moreso, not afraid to let it be known. One of the main problems with Hip-Hop Culture is the fact that a fake version of familiarity with one's feminine side exists. That's why there are so many alleged, "Love" songs being made that have absolutely no soul or substance about them, made by male and female artists alike. Couple that with the fact that the majority of the rest of the music is geared toward distancing your Self from your Heart, your core, your center and it's not hard to realize why it's been so easy for us to be led astray as an entire generation.

Peace
    Last edited by Urban_Journalz; 09-03-2012 at 08:57 AM.
    "Die before you die."-Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh)

I didn't even answer the question. Sorry.

To me, what makes lyrics emotional and therefore great, is the fact that the writer is putting his or her humanity in it. They're using the one thing that makes art beautiful and worthy of the term, they're expressing themselves in the most harmonious way possible.
    "Die before you die."-Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh)

Avant-garde

realness

shit that relates to my life. if rappers explain the feelings they are having.

that ghost verse is beautiful poetry, but he doesn't explain the emotion really he just runs through his thoughts at the time.

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

How about you have your other account "the Genius" come in this thread and post his thoughts lol hahahahahaha
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Poet Of The Streets

The clarity of the picture they're painting, the vividness, goes a LONG way. Plus the relatibility of the song in your own life. Personal tragedy is usually the most potent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post
    How about you have your other account "the Genius" come in this thread and post his thoughts lol hahahahahaha
    wtf I have a history of PM's with rakimkoolgrapwu. You think I'm PM'ing myself. Your fake laugh as if you unmasked the mystery hahaha really a idiot. I destroyed you many times little girl. You keep involving me in shit, u mad? You're tripping seriously but if it makes you feel better I'm rakimkoolgrapwu yeahh sure.
    Last edited by TheFunkyDrummer; 09-03-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Non Ignorant Math Team

i used to be that inspectahmeth tical guy now im 'the genius'. lmfao i must b a master of secondary accounts

NON-IGS

Non Ignorant Math Team

Quote Originally Posted by 2PAC HOLOGRAM View Post
    shit that relates to my life. if rappers explain the feelings they are having.

that ghost verse is beautiful poetry, but he doesn't explain the emotion really he just runs through his thoughts at the time.
    u see im kinda the opposite. id just get bored if a rapper explains his emotions. i react more if i see a vivid picture showing the emotion or if i hear a metaphor that lets me see the emotion from an interesting perspective.

eg if someone says something like ' Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die' id find that better than explaing anger.

i think explaining is more for prose and doesnt suit verse/poetry as much.

i dont think ghostface has to explain the emotions cuz pictures say more than explanations and the pictures in ghostfaces verse r very emotional and clear and say so much.

NON-IGS

how about u discuss more "love songs" on this forum with other soft males

Quote Originally Posted by llBARlllCODEll View Post
    Sure, come on let's talk, you like that new drake?
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Quote Originally Posted by llBARlllCODEll View Post
    hahahaahahaahahah

Quote Originally Posted by THE GENIUS View Post
    wtf I have a history of PM's with rakimkoolgrapwu. You think I'm PM'ing myself. Your fake laugh as if you unmasked the mystery hahaha really a idiot. I destroyed you many times little girl. You keep involving me in shit, u mad? You're tripping seriously but if it makes you feel better I'm rakimkoolgrapwu yeahh sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by rakimkoolgrapwutang View Post
    i used to be that inspectahmeth tical guy now im 'the genius'. lmfao i must b a master of secondary accounts
    LOL at posting back to back.

Non Ignorant Math Team

hollow dartz has oficially lost his marbles

NON-IGS