Thread: question for Hakeem Olakuwon and Houston Rockets fans

Banned

Default question for Hakeem Olakuwon and Houston Rockets fans

are you aware that you only won the championships in '94 and '95 cuz Michael Jordan went to play shitty baseball?

I'm guessing you guys aren't delusional about this, but I was just wondering

This has been brought up countless times, and it's completely hypothetical. Hakeem is the greatest center and one of the best basketall players of all time, so I'm not surprised that the Rockets would have won titles, whether Jordan was around or not. He also didn't need 10 other all stars on the team to win titles, like recent championship teams. Rudy T is a hall of fame coach too.

Dude, in '94 the Rockets had Sam Cassell, Vernon Maxwell, Otis thorpe, Mario Ellie, and Kenny Smith.

In '95 they added Clyde Drexler.

Don't tell me those teams didn't have stars.

Irondan 2: Curly's Gold Wu-Tang Forum Internet Poster's Avatar

I don't know if I would say Hakeem is the greatest center of all time, but it's not that far-fetched of an idea.

he was pretty damned good though, and I was somewhat of a Jordan hater. That said, we don't know what would have happened, but it would have been hard to bet against Jordan.
    --youreallfags.

Quote Originally Posted by Tectrus Moa View Post
    I'm sorry? Negro English? I think you mean Ebonics.

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
    Dude, in '94 the Rockets had Sam Cassell, Vernon Maxwell, Otis thorpe, Mario Ellie, and Kenny Smith.

Otis Thorpe? That's a pretty loose definition of "star". I'll give you Clyde, but I think that's it.
    --youreallfags.

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post

How many of those were perennial all stars? Drexler was at the end of his career, he retired right after that. Sam Cassell was just starting out. I don't think he had the calibur of all stars that Lebron needed aside him, in order to win a title.

Otis thorpe was an all star in 92 and finished his career with over 10 thousand boards, he was no slouch. Maybe these guys weren't superstars, but if you have guys like big shot Bobby on your team, you can win a title. How else can you explain the San Antonio Spurs?

No, I agree that you need solid players around you to win a chip, and that rockets team had damn good role players.

Definitely not slouches
    --youreallfags.

By the same token, I would say that maybe the Heat role players are slightly overrated given the talent in the NBA pool right now as opposed to 94-95. Bosh is certainly no superstar with a team that features Wade and Lebron. Ray Allen is no longer an all-star. Mike Miller? Shane Battier? These are the same kind of role players we are talking about. I think perception is everything.

So, what can anyone do to beat the heat? Well, besides air conditioning, I'd say having an equally balanced front and backcourt could make all the difference in the world. Now, people might say I'm crazy, but I think OKC did the RIGHT thing in trading James Harden. I know it sounds crazy, but it transforms the Thunder from a Guard-centric offense, to one where the inside game becomes integral toward freeing up outside shots. If you look at the difference now, Ibaka is already picking up his scoring and rebounding totals from last year and after only a few games without Harden, their offense has become scarily efficient.

-

Houston did have some good players back then but i believe if Michael Jordan hadn't retired, he would've won some more championships the 2 years that Houston won. Michael was a dominant player and the Bulls were on a roll back then. Plus it helps that he had Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant, John Paxson, BJ Armstrong and their defense was very good. Michael prevented a lot of teams from winning championships and that's why i think he's the best NBA player of all time. There will never be anybody that will come along and be better than him. I don't think it'll happen as long as i live. It might happen after i'm dead but i doubt it. That's why i'm surprised Scottie Pippen said he thinks Lebron is better than Jordan. I think he was trying to start a conversation among people when he said that just to see what people's reactions would be. I hope he doesn't mean that because if he does mean it, he's a idiot LOL.