4 30.77%
  • Decent

2 15.38%
  • Boring

0 0%
  • Wack

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Psychic World of Walter Reed (The official, non-official but better) thread

Default The Psychic World of Walter Reed (The official, non-official but better) thread

We can see what you voted for.

Gonna do something I've never done before...

I'm gonna review this as I'm listening live for the first time...

Play at 12:03

Opening...

Oh shit, I hope he got permission for that electric Company sample. Those PBS fuckers can be prickly.

Spacial atmosphere has many bells and whistles and a deep echo on KP. The lyrics seem to briefly state the album's purpose that go right into a story....Another sample at the end...followed by more spacey shit. Not a bad opener...

Shadow Landz

The beat seems to evolve and devolve into overlapping plucking sounds. The layers give the beat an interesting texture. Priest's wordplay is visually enlightening the soundscape.

New Reality

Oh man. The main looping melody is intoxicating. Priest is actually taking you on an interstellar journey on this one. Perfect meld of beat and lyric. There is an epic feeling to this. Will definitely be amongst the most talked about on the album. I think. There is still so much to go, and I'm loving the samples and transitions....

Street Thesis

You may have to adjust your treble on this one. The buzzing can definitely be a huge distraction. I get the attempt, but I think this may be a slight misstep. The hook is right though. Sounds like post modern Japanese street racing beat. Priest is the only person I know who can get away with an echo on all of these tracks. did I mention the hook is dope?

Ein Sof

^^^Can we get a translation on the title.

After all the shouting on the last hook, Priest slows it down, and raps over a much quieter and subdued beat. The simplicity allows KP's words to be the focus, and that focus is yet another indictment of modern society. Robotic delivery on the hook.

Developing Story

After a brief interlude, which is simply a hit being ordered, Priest rhymes over a uniquely mafioso-esque beat. A haunting chorus over tubular bells gives it the Gothic religious effect of an Excorcist movie. This type of visual storytelling is something Raekwon could only aspire to achieve.

Brilliantaire

The ambiance almost overpowers KP here. The oscillating bells heave and subside, which can be distracting. I find the quieter parts much more effective and sonically appealing.

The Park

Another voice sample talking about the anatomy of poetry. Killah Priest deftly rides a 3/4 beat similar to Deck on The Champion. Soulful to be sure.

Devotion to the Saints

This is actually my second listen of this song. Still amazing. Ghost rips it over your classic Kung Fu beat, hands off to Deck, who hands it to KP on the anchor. This will be amongst the most talked about songs, not just on this album, but this year. The Kung Fu samples are something I actually missed from Wu records since No Said Date dropped.

Visionz

I hate repeat titles. Although the backdrop is interesting, this feels like filler to me. Sounds like elements from 9 different songs in the past are smashed together here. From the wind chimes, to the tapping on the high piano keys, to ENYA in the background, it all feels familiar.

The Winged People

Did Styx make this song? I'm gonna roll a blunt while I try to comprehend what this is.

Peace God

Ironic title features a beat Killarmy would be proud to rock. This is really good. Probably the most meaningful track lyrically to date. Conspiracy theorist's heaven.

"Psychopathic bliss, my mathematics is sick."

The Spell

Ok, the blunt is sparked. Third eye opening...

Have I heard this before? More echoes, more magic, bones, and Ouija boards. Even though I'm not feeling this beat, the lyrics still interest me. Sign of a true artist. Beat is a bit too Middle Earth for my liking. Like Ghost's The Forrest, but without the snark.

Super God.

No. This is embarrassing. Video game sounds? I hate it.