Thread: Raekwon Originally Intended For "The Purple Tape" To Be Green

Terry Cloth Rudolph Joint Sky Blue Bally Kid's Avatar

Default Raekwon Originally Intended For "The Purple Tape" To Be Green

Raekwon reflects on how the "Purple Tape" came to be.

Raekwon's classic Only Built 4 Cuban Linx is a cultural cornerstone, often revered for its promotional "Purple Tape."

When speaking on the album with Complex, Rae said that he wanted to create something that stood out from other releases.

"I wanted to make sure that the average cat that would listen to it had something special in his cassette deck," Rae said. "Like, out of all of his tapes, my shit was private; my shit was for special people. Like you had to be somebody to rock that, so I wanted to separate that from everybody else’s."

Rae also said that he was initially going to go with the title "Green Tape." "At first I was gonna do it green, ‘cause green is my favorite color; I like olive green, but they couldn’t do that color," he said. "Next thing you know, they was like 'Blah, blah, blah, blah and purple' and I was like 'A lot of niggas might think purple is for girls' but I liked the color because it stood out, so I was like 'Fuck it, let’s go with purple.'"

The Chef also talks about possibly being an actual chef down the line. "You might be able to come to a Chef restaurant and get you a little turkey wrap or something, with some extra shit on it. Some $1,000 dressing or something. It’s just that the food business is tough because you gotta keep everything fresh—you can’t play with food."

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/i...pe-to-be-green

When I'm writing in my room

It's like a child that's fighting in the womb

- KP -

Purple is a wonderful colour

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

"You might be able to come to a Chef restaurant and get you a little turkey wrap or something, with some extra shit on it. Some $1,000 dressing or something.
    lol sounds like ghost here
    We do it for the people.

i think he made a good choice on the name of the album but i never liked the color purple so i think green would have been a better color but as we all know the purple taped worked out just fine

peace

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hectis View Post
    Purple is a wonderful colour