Thread: Best Album Closers/Closings

Default Best Album Closers/Closings

I'm talking about shit that really closes out an album well here. Not just a great song that happens to be at the end of an album. Doesn't have to be one song. Or two. Just whatever closes an album out. It might be one song or it might be a series of ten.

For me...

1. Doctor Jimmy/The Rock/Love Reign O'er Me (Quadrophenia-The Who)

Also...

Brain Damage/Eclipse (Dark Side of the Moon-Pink Floyd)
    Medley, starting from 'You Never Give Me Your Money' (Abbey Road-The Beatles)

The Thrill of It All spammy sosa's Avatar

Urban's, Gigy's, Queen's, Roze's wildest dreams

Winner of The Masta Killa Award 2007
    New and Improved Cool List © : Everybody
    © The Cool List name and product is protected under the laws of I used it first.All rights reserved

Banned

I think the duo tracks of "By Starlight" and "Farewell & Goodnight" off Smashing Pumpkins "Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness" album is one of the best closings of any album ever. I love it then fades out to the same gorgeous piano that started off the whole album. It really feels like you were just after been on a journey, and fuck all albums have ever done that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Durag View Post
    I think the duo tracks of "By Starlight" and "Farewell & Goodnight" off Smashing Pumpkins "Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness" album is one of the best closings of any album ever. I love it then fades out to the same gorgeous piano that started off the whole album. It really feels like you were just after been on a journey, and fuck all albums have ever done that for me.
    Totally agree, it's such a bittersweet ending. MCIS is my fav album of all time.

^100% agree, its my favorite album of all time as well.

I remember getting it bought for me when it came out in 95 when i was 10 years old. Listened to the tape so much both sides of each cassette are worn out. I used to listen to a few songs before going to school, play the whole album when i got home, and then listen to the songs after X.Y.U before going to sleep.

Such a mix of stadium rock, easy listening, almost extreme metal, heartfelt ballads, alt-pop, grunge everything rolled into one amazing album.

Ive since bought it on CD and ive had it 17 years and still listen to it

^Haha, everyone's experience with MCIS seems to be similar. I got it when I was 14 and I credit it with making me realize the efficacy of music. MCIS had everything like you said. It still amazes me that the same album that has "Tales of a Scorched Earth" also has "Cupid De Locke". I loved all the lyrics to the albums and spent days just sitting with the album and reading the liner notes. The artwork is amazing too!

When you look at popular rock music around the time (95), no one was doing stuff like this album. This is like the pinnacle of 90's alt-rock and imo, it dwarfs every Radiohead album. The versatility and emotions displayed on MCIS are monumental to me. My fav song from it is probably "Thru the Eyes of Ruby", what's yours?

Yeah i get ya, the versatility is something else on that album, who would think that a an absolute screamer like "X.Y.U" would be followed with something light and bouncy like "We Only Come Out At Night". I used to sit down with the cassette booklet and read along with lyrics everytime, been years since i have done that.

Very hard to pick a favorite, but i think its between "1979" (one of the all time great rock songs), "Where Boys Fear To thread" (theres so many great metal(ish) songs on the album, but the evil-sounding riff just does it for me), and while i know its a big proggy, i loved the soundscapes during the quiet parts of this song "Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans", it just sounded epic to me when i was younger. "Through The Eyes Of Ruby" is an amazing song as well, that grew on me over the years to also be one of my favorites.

If I was to pick a favorite Pumpkins song though, it could be "Rhinoceros" from Gish.

Have you seen this re-release of it?

http://www.discogs.com/Smashing-Pump...elease/4074322

Theres a 4xLP version of it too, but it doesnt include the 64!!!! bonus tracks that the cd does or the dvd.

Its fuckin expensive but when i get money i get money together i think that warrents a purchase